Gianluigi Donnarumma Thread

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Buffon played serie A at 17 age, at 18 age was a starter.

We can all agree that Donnaruma is not at Buffon's level at 17 . There is a difference saying that a GK has potential (which usually means that when compared with players of his same age, he's better than most), and saying that he's ready to play in Serie A.

Right now, I don't think he'd be a starter even for a Serie B team. We need to shut off the overhype that Galliani does for some youth players (we all remember the hype for Petagna, Pacifico, Iotti, Vergara, Salamon, etc) ... and we all can see where they are at the moment.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
We can all agree that Donnaruma is not at Buffon's level at 17 . There is a difference saying that a GK has potential (which usually means that when compared with players of his same age, he's better than most), and saying that he's ready to play in Serie A.

Right now, I don't think he'd be a starter even for a Serie B team. We need to shut off the overhype that Galliani does for some youth players (we all remember the hype for Petagna, Pacifico, Iotti, Vergara, Salamon, etc) ... and we all can see where they are at the moment.

Those guys are gonna pop up one day like Antonelli, Darmian, Astori and even Matri. Cuz the club just can't develop them like other clubs do.

Naraku

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Those guys are gonna pop up one day like Antonelli, Darmian, Astori and even Matri. Cuz the club just can't develop them like other clubs do.

Yeah, especially Petagna and Iotti. Those two can still turn out well I think.

For Donnarumma, I think most people just take it as some fun. See how he goes and hope for the best.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I think comparing him with Buffon is just asinine. Plus do not forget Buffon started in Parma which it was not a BIG team at all.

I think a fair comparison could be with Scuffet that came out of nowhere. I think Donnaruma could start as long as there is a team that believes on him and has an option to buy him.

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
What about Gori? What's with that guy now? He was hyped even bigged than Donnaruma.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
What about Gori? What's with that guy now? He was hyped even bigged than Donnaruma.

Gori was never hyped as much as Donnarumma. He's quite good, he was also called for U19, but he's not going to be a really good keeper.

Now he's old for Primavera and he will be loaned to some Lega Pro team.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
I think comparing him with Buffon is just asinine. Plus do not forget Buffon started in Parma which it was not a BIG team at all.

I think a fair comparison could be with Scuffet that came out of nowhere. I think Donnaruma could start as long as there is a team that believes on him and has an option to buy him.

Parma was a big team back in the 90s. You've gotta check your history books man.

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Should loaned out to Serie B just like Gabriel. I hope him & Gabriel is the future of goalkeeper in next 5 years.

PRIYO

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Sheva, Sergio Claudio, Ibra.
Nah he should stay unless you really want to see agazzi as 3rd goalie

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score

Parma was a big team, probably bigger than what Napoli is today, every year she was an automatic challenger for the title (hence the "seven sisters" title) and if I recall correctly Buffon had his first game against Milan which at the time was a vital scudetto game. That same year Parma won the Uefa cup against Juventus. The bad luck of Parma is that it had its peak during the golden years of Milan and Juventus.

That said, it was easier for Buffon to be considered due to the 3 foreign players rule. Today, he'd have to compete with youngsters from all over the world. Plus he had Villiam Vecchi as his GK coach.
Scuffet had a similar start, but he had a lot less pressure and was in a lot less affirmed club (probably worse training environment as well). I liked some of the things, but I'm afraid he was a lot less complete and some of his defects were originally harder to spot due to Udinese team concealing them.
In Italy, you can have a great first season, but in the second season everything you do will be analyzed very well to find your weak points.
Probably Perin has so far been the better new version of Buffon especially in terms of consistency.

Last edited:

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Parma was a big team, probably bigger than what Napoli is today, every year she was an automatic challenger for the title (hence the "seven sisters" title) and if I recall correctly Buffon had his first game against Milan which at the time was a vital scudetto game. That same year Parma won the Uefa cup against Juventus. The bad luck of Parma is that it had its peak during the golden years of Milan and Juventus.

That said, it was easier for Buffon to be considered due to the 3 foreign players rule. Today, he'd have to compete with youngsters from all over the world. Plus he had Villiam Vecchi as his GK coach.
Scuffet had a similar start, but he had a lot less pressure and was in a lot less affirmed club (probably worse training environment as well). I liked some of the things, but I'm afraid he was a lot less complete and some of his defects were originally harder to spot due to Udinese team concealing them.
In Italy, you can have a great first season, but in the second season everything you do will be analyzed very well to find your weak points.
Probably Perin has so far been the better new version of Buffon especially in terms of consistency.

Sorry but IMO a big team is considered BIG because they are always in the mix or conversation for challengers to the title. Just because Parma had a nice period, it does not mean that they are big.

Is Deportivo La Coruna a BIG team in Spain? No, they are not. EOD.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
Sorry but IMO a big team is considered BIG because they are always in the mix or conversation for challengers to the title. Just because Parma had a nice period, it does not mean that they are big.

Parma had money and big players. They wouldn't have started a 18 years old keeper if he wasn't already able to perform like a star.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score

LoL.. that's what I said, they WERE always in the mix and always challenging for the title.
A team that won 2 Uefa Cups, 1 Winners Cup in 4-5 years under no measure can be considered a small team. This is a team that had Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Dino Baggio, Veron, Crespo, Chiesa, Sensini ALL in the same team. I don't know how much more superstar can you get. They bitch slapped us 2-0 when we were under the first Capello in the European Super Cup final in San Siro.

IIRC Deportivo La Coruna won the title in La Liga when we were under Zaccheroni ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Is Valencia big, they are not as big now, but in 2000 they were huge.
Is Atletico Madrid a big team. I mean they won one La Liga in 20 years?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Parma was the Chelsea of the 90s, except in a tougher league. So they didn't win much.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
This 'Big' discussion is not attacking it from the right angles

A 'Big' team... They have titles/history, they have resources- currently and they haven't fallen out of the discussion of league/European champion contenders for too long of a time.

Milan will always have big history
They still have resources but have waned
They have fallen out of contention for championship football

So they were a big club who can be big again

Parma are not even close to being called a big club... Maybe even ever.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
The only "angle" i care about, is how strong they were in that period, because it's the only one that says how much they espected from a 18 years old keeper performances, which is the only thing related to the thread topic.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
'Big' is a nonsense word. 'Storied' is a good word.. In Serie A, that would include basically the Sette Sorelle clubs. Milan, Juve, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, Parma.

One could debate whether to add Napoli or not. Largely a Maradona thing really. But I think they qualify too.

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Small... Big... What's the deal here?
large.jpg

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Big day for the big man. Hope it goes well.

adit

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
congratz for the debut ... still i don't think he deserve 1st choice whereas Lopez and Abbiati don't get injured

but whatever, hope he can do well