Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
I think a big chunk of it has to do with antiquated methods.

How many trainers are actually taking time to read and upgrade their knowledge like Firas vs. the one's that uses bro science?

so does firas make his fighters go hard in sparring or not?
what's the best way to prepare? I have a full contact karate background and I focus alot on strength and conditioning honestly. sparring is usually ligh for me.

Ehat can mma fighters do though? I mean their body has to get used to taking shots? go below the throat shots only for sparring? Only a ****** would try to condition their heads lol. I have seen pro fighters sparring and they go hard
Like seriously hard. They kill themselves in there. It is ridiculous. Wrestlers have it much easier than strikers.

bjj I am not too sure about but you probably get ******s that want to rip your arm off in training but not too many.

I would be concerned for strikers that spar hard in training. I wonder what they could possibly do to get prepared without hurting themselves too much in the process.

Last edited:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Some go hard in sparring, some go lighter, it's an individual preference thing as well as some gyms having a different approach to it.

I think going hard on pads but going smarter/lighter on the sparring is the better approach for longevity. Can't see it being too beneficial for your chin to go to war during training. In regards to what Firas does or rather what they do for GSP in training according to GSP his coaches offer the other fighters money if they fuck him up during fight camp so I guess that's a pretty good indicator of what he does. Not like most guys don't already have enough incentive to try to KO the pro.

Can't say personally but from what I've heard rolling in BJJ with lower ranked but physically strong guys can suck because they go into it overly physical. Lot's of neck cranking apparently but maybe that's just a myth.

I think the best way to prepare as a striker is work your core and endurance to deal with body shots and work the neck for the head, doubt there is more you can do? And of course practice the correct way of evading and blocking hits, that's it. Taking hard hits to the head will not make you better at taking them long term imo but it'll give you CTE eventually.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
so does firas make his fighters go hard in sparring or not?

he does, but only preparing for the fight.

what's the best way to prepare? I have a full contact karate background and i focus alot on strength and conditioning honestly. Sparring is usually ligh for me.

in my opinion, it is important to learn the theories of fighting (leverage, timing). For example, how to move your body to generate the most power from a cross, or a leg kick. Then drill the movement so you can have good technique in terms of generating and landing. Then light sparring and drilling in order to figure out the timing of things, or rather strategy. For example, "if i threw this punch, i would be open for this one, and he would counter it with this punch, hence i do this to make up for it". Only once strategy is down, sparring would sharpen up the previous mentioned tools and give you time to adapt to the intensity of actual fight. How experienced thai's train in muay thai is that they literally flow, basically you throw a punch, and the other guy will throw something that counters you like i previously mentioned and then you just keep going, but both guy throwing at like 20% or so. This only works if both people are knowledgeable and can flow, its a great way to sharpen up timing and overall fight strategy.

ehat can mma fighters do though? I mean their body has to get used to taking shots? Go below the throat shots only for sparring? Only a ****** would try to condition their heads lol. I have seen pro fighters sparring and they go hard
like seriously hard. They kill themselves in there. It is ridiculous. Wrestlers have it much easier than strikers.

might also condition the chin. They bite down a rope that has weight plates tied down on the other end. The theory is that if you have more muscle on your jaw then you will less likely to be concussed, not sure about the science behind it.

You can find videos of albert kraus (dutch kickboxer) doing this i believe, among many other old school k-1 fighters

but other than that, its about being well rounded in your transitions from striking to grappling

bjj i am not too sure about but you probably get ******s that want to rip your arm off in training but not too many.

really depends on culture of gym. Traditional bjj gym usually weed out knuckleheads earlier on as the higher belts put on smashings which make those people questions their lives. However in mma gyms, its usually encouraged but i would still say more experienced fighters will understand the importance of keeping their training partners. So i would really chalk "wanting to rip something" up to newer people in general, and dicks of course.

i would be concerned for strikers that spar hard in training. I wonder what they could possibly do to get prepared without hurting themselves too much in the process.
light sparring to sharpen skills. Occasional hard sparring to get used to intensity. I believe robbie lawler does not even spar.

^

some go hard in sparring, some go lighter, it's an individual preference thing as well as some gyms having a different approach to it.

that's the thing, should not be an "approach" thing rather a "when/where" thing. Both kinds of sparring are beneficial, at different stages of the camp or preparation. It should not be one or the others based on the fighter or coach's preference, rather what the camp is calling for.

i think going hard on pads but going smarter/lighter on the sparring is the better approach for longevity. Can't see it being too beneficial for your chin to go to war during training. In regards to what firas does or rather what they do for gsp in training according to gsp his coaches offer the other fighters money if they fuck him up during fight camp so i guess that's a pretty good indicator of what he does. Not like most guys don't already have enough incentive to try to ko the pro.

you have to see context. You may have incentive but it's a whole another level when you are sparring with a "pro" let alone gsp. Let me tell you my first time sparring with a pro fighter with a decent record. He was preparing for a fight and working his cardio, so we were doing shark tank rounds on him.

Previously, i have had decent success sparring with others in class and amateur fighters. So in my mind, i was going to storm him with punches and he would be so tired from just blocking, i would then be landing kicks and hovering over him the entire round.

Reality: I got tired within the first 30 seconds and arms felt like led for the next 2:30, could hardly move, just block. Eventually i heard the 10 second left bell and he threw a 1, 2 ,3 combo which i blocked. Thinking i did pretty well, i did not see the high kick coming and it was lights out.

Not saying i am high level but being star struck and not being able to be a good spar partner (cant fight to best of ability) because of that is very real.

can't say personally but from what i've heard rolling in bjj with lower ranked but physically strong guys can suck because they go into it overly physical. Lot's of neck cranking apparently but maybe that's just a myth.

definitely. Again, this depents on school but usually its the lower ranked physical guys. They have not accepted bjj as an art yet rather a space for them to exert their physical dominance over the weakly. Neck crank is an illegal move in bjj tournaments in gi, sometimes it is allowed in nogi. So for the most part, because of the potential injuries it may cause, it is not allowed in most academies. But once again, all bets are off when you roll with mma guys.

i think the best way to prepare as a striker is work your core and endurance to deal with body shots and work the neck for the head, doubt there is more you can do? And of course practice the correct way of evading and blocking hits, that's it. Taking hard hits to the head will not make you better at taking them long term imo but it'll give you cte eventually.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

^

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
If you would see how the local / amateur MMA fighters roll in BJJ gyms. It is usually assumed that they will be idiot meat heads during rolling unless they are a somewhat famous fighter. Usually, you hear nonsense like "fuck tappin, that shit is for pussies" or "i'm ready to die in the motherfuckin cage, let a motherfucker choke me out" uttered by these people. And that is why even for small, local BBQ grillers, you have tons of cancellation due to injuries from training.

Don't know if anyone heard Joe's podcast with Firas Zahabi. A brilliant trainer and one of the things he mentioned specifically was that experienced Thai's will not train with people if they kicked too hard in training, because it was too "amateur-ish".

I wouldn't be surprised if most MMA gyms still employ the "amateur" training methods of fatigue and pain seeking.

As a sport, MMA definitely have a long way to go.

:thumbsup:

definitely heard that podcast, that's why GSP is the GOAT.

mma gyms train like they're crossfitters, not combat athletes.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
I have taken shots to the chin several times and it never fazed me. I believe I have a strong chin but I still want to protect myself in training. are there any workouts to improve chin conditioning even further? I mainly do neck bridges and other neck exercises to toughen up those muscles. I do have a thick neck as i do a lot of bodybuilding stuff too so I guess that's a start.
anyway know any specific chin training exercises? head kicks to the temple is lights out for everyone unless you have a ridiculously large head like miocic, jones or cormier.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I have taken shots to the chin several times and it never fazed me. I believe I have a strong chin but I still want to protect myself in training. are there any workouts to improve chin conditioning even further? I mainly do neck bridges and other neck exercises to toughen up those muscles. I do have a thick neck as i do a lot of bodybuilding stuff too so I guess that's a start.
anyway know any specific chin training exercises? head kicks to the temple is lights out for everyone unless you have a ridiculously large head like miocic, jones or cormier.

big_1493496464_image.jpg

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score

eat a lot of well done steak and you'll get a stronger jaw

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:thumbsup:

definitely heard that podcast, that's why GSP is the GOAT.

mma gyms train like they're crossfitters, not combat athletes.

gsp is 100% Goat. Some say he has used HGH though. if he hasnt been caught then I dont care.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
What you guys thing about Ngannou vs Lewis?

I think Ngannou is a huge favorite here.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
my dude black beast by decision

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
ohhh i see no way in hell this goes to a decision

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I got derrick by ko. 3rd round.
I got stipe by decision. huge Cormier fan but he is 39, past his prime.
felder tko perry
chiesa by submission vs pettis
Khalil by ko vs gokhan
drakkar by decision vs lannata
hooker ko vs burns.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I got Stipe decision DC; got Francis KO Derrick but hope to be wrong on at that one; Saki KO vs Roundtree and Costa KO Hall.

Others idk but I am curious to see how Perry changed up his game after training at Jackson Winklejohns now.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
imagine being a supposed kickboxing badass and getting ko'd by a no name mma fighter

is there a bigger L?

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
lewis ngannou is the worst fight in hw history so far (2 rounds in)

confirmed: worst HW fight in history

possibly the worst fight in history

Last edited:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What the fuck

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
imagine being a supposed kickboxing badass and getting ko'd by a no name mma fighter

is there a bigger L?

Yeah that was pretty pathetic. Would've been the lowlight of the card if it wasn't for this HW fight...

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
if they saved ngannou for lesnar instead of lewis, could have built up hype for lesnar vs winner of miocic/cormier

and yes lesnar wipes the floor with ngannou

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stipe mindfucked Francis in their last fight. Francis was scared to throw even though his coaches told him repeatedly to let it fly, crazy.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS MAN!!

I got stipe by decision. huge Cormier fan but he is 39, past his prime.

imagine thinking mma's mandzukic can beat the heavyweight GOAT

39 is 29 in HW years

LETS GO DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I was disappointed to see Stipe lose but I was very happy with Costa winning and Perry successful turning a page. I was mad the last time I watched him with how poorly he fought and he looked considerably better against Felder.

A guy with his intense personality and emotion can be quite a draw if he backs it up with good fighting.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Black Beast vs Predator ...what the fuck was that :fp:

Good win for Perry, the guy ha some serious elbows.

Costa is a fucking tank though.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
until costa beats some legit opponents, he's a MW brazilian ngannou in my eyes

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
until costa beats some legit opponents, he's a MW brazilian ngannou in my eyes

True.

This win by DC must be shrinking coke chicken bones Jones up.

DC deserves this, BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET! He fights clean, he fights hard, what a champ :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
True.

This win by DC must be shrinking coke chicken bones Jones up.

DC deserves this, BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET! He fights clean, he fights hard, what a champ :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

:star::thumbsup:

if usada act like corrupt crooks and don't give him the suspension he deserves, DC beating jones for the HW title and ending his career after that would be the greatest ending of all time.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Costa actually has legit fighting credentials to his name. Has a black belt in BJJ, is powerful, shows good striking variety and strategy and a lot of power.

My only concern about Costa as a fan of his is that there are good odds he gets stopped by USADA. If that guy is clean then he has definitely worked his ass off but also ridiculously lucky with genetics - guy is super strong and good looking - no homo tho.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I had DC winning that fight wherever it goes.

Lewis and Ngannou are both really raw, neither should be fighting on main card.

Borrachinha was impressive, not sure if it’s just mental with Uriah Hall