The Rumour Commode XXI

Who should lead Milan's attack in 17/18 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asterix

Primavera
Reaction score
And one more thing...

If Diego Simeone became a coach and led Ateltico to success, i bet ya Gattuso can do the same...

Milanista92

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I love Gattuso with all my heart but I feel this has the potential to be a disaster, I hope i'm very wrong tho. This will be a very fun ride tho no question about it.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Sounds like Gattuso is playing 3-4-3.

Hope so. I'm feeling that's the best formation for us now or maybe 3-4-2-1 with Suso playing wide on the right. I think Silva can play as left winger and we have Bona/Hakan for that too. I think we're okay without buying a winger, although I would welcome Deulofeu or someone similar.

Stanard press conference, we wanted Rino, he is the best for us atm... ill give my all, bla bla..but i remembered 2 things:

1. Rino overshadowed Mirabelli and the other guy at the table, he made them unimportant, relevant as that bottle of water near them. He just oozes authority, strength, character... even more now, than as a player.
2. Rino: "In my first games as a player, i was labeled as useless" the way he said it.. hahaha
So, not slow, bad shoot, bad pass, creativity... but one word: "Useless" :D :D

That's the thing. He was disregarded as a player at the beginning, now the same is happening as coach. I hope he will prove them wrong this time too.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What has Andre Silva done to make us think he can play anything other than as a pure striker?

He is a pure striker, he just wants to score. You can tell by how he plays. You can play him further back all you want, it's just not effective. He needs to be given the ball and allowed to finish.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
And one more thing...

G058r.gif

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
What has Andre Silva done to make us think he can play anything other than as a pure striker?

He is a pure striker, he just wants to score. You can tell by how he plays. You can play him further back all you want, it's just not effective. He needs to be given the ball and allowed to finish.

and Mertens is a pure winger, Suso pure RCM (I think this was his position at Liverpool, right?)

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Hope so. I'm feeling that's the best formation for us now or maybe 3-4-2-1 with Suso playing wide on the right. I think Silva can play as left winger and we have Bona/Hakan for that too. I think we're okay without buying a winger, although I would welcome Deulofeu or someone similar.

That's the thing. He was disregarded as a player at the beginning, now the same is happening as coach. I hope he will prove them wrong this time too.

If 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 is the way he goes then we would need a winger in January. Can't rely on Suso and Bonaventura to play every minute. Hakan too if he plays him there. We also need a Kessie backup. Winger and mid just on loan deals would be good.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What position does Salah, Premier League top scorer, play at?

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ronin, what in the name of the Lord Almighty are you talking about?

Mertens is played as a striker in Napoli's formation, so there's that.

Salah was one of the most underrated players before he went to the hype machine that is Liverpool. He scores a lot, but here's the thing:

Andre Silva does not play anywhere close to the style of either Salah or Mertens. He's not as fast, not even close, and he doesn't have the passing ability of either one of them.

If you watch him play, when he gets the ball outside of the box--i.e. in a position where he's not going to shoot immediately or finish--he pretends he's CR7, stands on the ball and tries to do something fancy, which doesn't work.

Andre Silva needs to be played where Kalinic has been playing the last few games: to be the one finishing the chances. He's great at that, you can see that in how he moves and how he plays. But he's not Salah and he's not Mertens. You can see sparks of great taller strikers in him, but he needs to be put in that position.

Sorriso Sempre

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ronin, what in the name of the Lord Almighty are you talking about?

Mertens is played as a striker in Napoli's formation, so there's that.

Salah was one of the most underrated players before he went to the hype machine that is Liverpool. He scores a lot, but here's the thing:

Andre Silva does not play anywhere close to the style of either Salah or Mertens. He's not as fast, not even close, and he doesn't have the passing ability of either one of them.

If you watch him play, when he gets the ball outside of the box--i.e. in a position where he's not going to shoot immediately or finish--he pretends he's CR7, stands on the ball and tries to do something fancy, which doesn't work.

Andre Silva needs to be played where Kalinic has been playing the last few games: to be the one finishing the chances. He's great at that, you can see that in how he moves and how he plays. But he's not Salah and he's not Mertens. You can see sparks of great taller strikers in him, but he needs to be put in that position.
so... buy a second striker capable to partner him

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
And one more thing...

If Diego Simeone became a coach and led Ateltico to success, i bet ya Gattuso can do the same...

The difference is he had success with previous clubs (Estudiantes, River in particular).

I love Gattuso but it isn't the same. Even so I wish him the best of luck.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
@real_andrea9
Pato chiama, Gattuso risponde. Occhio a gennaio @themilanclub

https://themilanclub.it/post/news/800/tmc-milan-pato-si-propone-per-gennaio

A few days ago there was a meeting between Pato's agents and Milan reps. Pato wants to return to Milan and has offered himself for January. Milan haven't given a response.

Yes:proud:

Not just for nostalgia reasons but be can play as an ss peeling off towards the left side. Good tactical fit, but is he good enough for the top level anymore?? I hope so :proud:

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini

milancuore

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Gattuso: "the problem is not the final third of the pitch"

He already lost the plot if he thinks the problem of us not scoring is not the final third...all we do is cross in even when playing against taller opposition, no movement in the final third everyone just stands there waiting for the pass, nobody moves into space, no give and go..etc..thats one of our problems

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He already lost the plot if he thinks the problem of us not scoring is not the final third...all we do is cross in even when playing against taller opposition, no movement in the final third everyone just stands there waiting for the pass, nobody moves into space, no give and go..etc..thats one of our problems

Man had 1 training session and 1 one press conference and he already lost the plot. Next comment...

nefremo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

Disagree.

The problem is NOT in the final 3rd. We struggle there because we are too slow in the build up on the way to the final 3rd. Our build up is so slow, that when the ball actually gets to the final 3rd, the other team is well set with numbers in order to defend.

We are not brilliant in attack, I agree with that, but speeding up the transition will immediately improve us in that regard before even working on anything with the attack.

Montella loves possession. So much, that he prioritizes it over everything. It's always the safe option with him. The option that best helps you keep the ball. We never transitioned from defense to attack quickly. Biglia/Loca/Kessie/Rodriguez/etc/insert name, wins the ball close to the midfield, and instead of taking a chance and trying to transition the ball to the attack quickly with 1 or 2 passes, their first choice was ALWAYS to play it safe and not lose the ball.....which more often then not was playing a back pass to the CB. This was Montella's idea of football. It completely killed our attack.

His ideas can work if you have some crazy wingers/AMs/CFs that can still break down a defense even if it's positionally set......but we don't hsve that. So we have to transition the ball quickler when there is a chance to do it. Gather territory quickly and give the attackers a chance to attack on a team that's not fully set defensively. I bet you they'll do much better in this case.

Last edited:

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
How do you describe yourself?

Gattuso: "Sometimes I still have to count to 10 to control my tempter"

:lol::lol::lol:

This will be great

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Disagree.

The problem is NOT in the final 3rd. We struggle there because we are too slow in the build up on the way to the final 3rd. Our build up is so slow, that when the ball actually gets to the final 3rd, the other team is well set with numbers in order to defend.

We are not brilliant in attack, I agree with that, but speeding up the transition will immediately improve us in that regard before even working on anything with the attack.

Montella loves possession. So much, that he prioritizes it over everything. It's always the safe option with him. The option that best helps you keep the ball. We never transitioned from defense to attack quickly. Biglia/Loca/Kessie/Rodriguez/etc/insert name, wins the ball close to the midfield, and instead of taking a chance and trying to transition the ball to the attack quickly with 1 or 2 passes, their first choice was ALWAYS to play it safe and not lose the ball.....which more often then not was playing a back pass to the CB. This was Montella's idea of football. It completely killed our attack.

His ideas can work if you have some crazy wingers/AMs/CFs that can still break down a defense even if it's positionally set......but we don't hsve that. So we have to transition the ball quickler when there is a chance to do it. Gather territory quickly and give the attackers a chance to attack on a team that's not fully set defensively. I bet you they'll do much better in this case.

This is a very reasonable point. But I think even if we speed up the transition, we only really have Suso and RR who can deliver a quality final ball, or maybe getting Borini to the byline. And not the mention our strikers don’t seem to be ruthless (maybe with the exception of Cutrone). There is also a genuine lack of pace in the team to be able to play quick transitions or counter attacks, and the one dribbler/ball carrier is Jack, and he takes forever to decide what to do with the ball even when he breaks lines with his dribbling

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
With no January signings Gattuso wud be wise to get Kaka playing for him. 3M shud be enough.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This is a very reasonable point. But I think even if we speed up the transition, we only really have Suso and RR who can deliver a quality final ball, or maybe getting Borini to the byline. And not the mention our strikers don’t seem to be ruthless (maybe with the exception of Cutrone). There is also a genuine lack of pace in the team to be able to play quick transitions or counter attacks, and the one dribbler/ball carrier is Jack, and he takes forever to decide what to do with the ball even when he breaks lines with his dribbling

I liked what Gattuso said in his press conference that he likes to play more direct attacking style compared to Montella who is more possession minded. Hopefully we see some pressing and intensity as well. You see it with all the big clubs, they press high, get the ball and just dictate play. Smaller teams eventually just tire out and just hold on as long as possible. The past few years even before Montella, we have been a pretty slow, lethargic team that always plays down to the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule