Paolo Maldini Thread

bluenine

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
This is sad. Maldini is Milan for people of my generation, there is no better figurehead for the club. Its sad that Milan haven't been able to find him a mutually acceptable role at the club. A legend of his stature can only help the team.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I am deeply hurt at this moment. This was going to be a dream come true.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
you never believed japser?? :(
I believed this will be the outcome. Hope did increase with the media stuff but in the end this looked like the destination from the beginning.

Ragazza

Milan, solo con te...
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, ZAMBROTTA, NESTA, SES, MAGIC MIKE
the translation isn't the best but I believe when he says he declined the position, not over money, not over power...but over the lack of ability to bring quality to the club that the position they offered him would provide

can't fault him for wanting to be able to jump in with two feet, when they're only giving him a half of foot space to stand in

not only a really bad business decision, but this is the kind of petty $hit that loses fans

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So he wants to choose the players to sign then get approval from himself ?

Close thread please.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
i think this is a better translation

Maldini:

"Milan has always been for me a matter of heart and passion. My story, my father's and my children's prove it and no one can delete our link with the Rossoneri colors. This very strong link requires me to be careful, precise and professional in accepting the job that I was offered. Of course, it would be much easier to follow the excitement of the proposal and say yes. Without thinking about the possible consequences and go head-on into this new adventure. But no, I can not, I have to respect the values that have accompanied me throughout my life. I have to respect the fans that have been identified over years in me for passion, will and seriousness. I have to respect Milan and myself.

I would like to clarify some concepts to the Milan fans and the press, who gave the news that move the substance of the matter on the economic aspect, forgetting the importance that me and my family have given to the sense of belonging to Milan: This news, among other things, have been suggested by "anonymous" sources across channels and people I've known for 30 years, aiming to discredit my person to justify the failure to reach an agreement.

I have never put forward the economic demands, I reiterated at the first meeting that the definition of the role will be the basic key of a possible collaboration. How could I quantify a proposal when the responsibilities are not set out clearly? I pointed out that I would give my all to a serious project that sees me in an important role, and that I would never accept to be used as just a legend. I repeat: Milan for me is a choice of heart.

I never asked for a role like the one of Galliani, or CEO with full powers. I know my limits better; My competence is in the sporting area.

I was offered the role of the technical director, before me they hired a sporting director, then according to the organization chart that was presented to me, I should share any project, purchase or sale of a player with my fellow sporting director. In my specific question about what would happen in case of disagreement, I was told by Fassone that he would be the one to decide. That said, I do not think we were in a basis for a winning team. I have been part of teams that have made the history of football and I know that to achieve those results, there must be a great synergy between all, major investments and well-defined roles. The last seasons of Milan with 2 CEOs and overlapping roles should've taught us. Of course I would have had to take, in the eyes of the fans, the press and owners, the entire responsibility of sporting area, with the possibility of being excluded from any executive power.

I never asked to have direct contacts with the owners to bypass the CEO; I expressed the wish to hear from David Han Li, Executive Director of Sino Europe Sports, I only met him for a few minutes, what they expected from me; I wanted to hear from him what goals they had set and what investments they plan to do. I think this is a serious request and every professional has the right to formulate it, especially when you look back to the past like mine with the club.

I hope these few lines have clarified my position. It remains a bitterness from a dream that has vanished. I defend the right of people of important companies like Milan to choose their employees based on the most appropriate criteria for them, I would do the same thing in their position, but also I reiterate that my values will be more important to me than any job."

Bold parts says it all IMO.

He declares his bond with us fans, how close he is to us. And that his role put him in a situation where he'd be judged without having any control. Simply put, he doesn't want it to become like fans vs B&G.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
dario simic it is then

:lol:

check out

130.jpg

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
i'm affraid that Maldini will never find a new owner with the same passion as him nor an director love the club as much as he does

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Maldini "I've been part of teams that have made football history, and I know to achieve those results, you need synergy throughout the club"

and he might saw Fassone and Mirabelli lacked synergy skill

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
synergy is not a skill bruh

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
Gl in the future then. I hope that he return to milan someday.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
In short

Maldini rejected the offer because he didn't feel like his role would be important because Fassone would get the final say in every decision. He wants more guarentees that his voice matters, more synergy, more collective agreements. Maldini has morals, he doesn't want to join like this because he feels like the new management are using him to gain popularity, not for his input.

Sidd

सिद्धर्&
Reaction score
Oh well. :cry: Sad to hear Paolo's decision.

But he shouldn't have said he can't see Milan win with the new strategies. Past few seasons have been a nightmare and there's finally a ray of hope for us fans. Even if he wasn't happy with role offered, he should have just mentioned that. No Milan fan would want to quash this new found motivation, when alot hinges on what the new owners have promised.

To me it looks like he prefered his image over the club, by going public with those statements.

Last edited:

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Too idealist tbh

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Oh well. :cry: Sad to hear Paolo's decision.

But he shouldn't have said he can't see Milan win with the new strategies. Past few seasons have been a nightmare and there's finally a ray of hope for us fans. Even if he wasn't happy with role offered, he should have just mentioned that. No Milan fan would want to quash this new found motivation, when alot hinges on what the new owners have promised.

To me it looks like he prefered his image over the club, by going public with those statements.

I'd say what he meant was that this Milan couldn't have won had he accepted. Then the board would've been too divided.

Sidd

सिद्धर्&
Reaction score
I'd say what he meant was that this Milan couldn't have won had he accepted. Then the board would've been too divided.
When back and re-read the article. You're right. God damn twisted headlines.:fp:

A_Wild_Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Han Li .... what an idiot :lol:
On the verge of buying one of the best club in the world and got the chance to meet one of the greatest player that ever played and few minutes is all he gives ?!!!!!

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I fully support him in rejecting that made up nedved role. as far as I know all nedved does is show up, watch games and attend CL draws.

And that's why I would hire him. To be the face of this new/old Milan. To attract players to Milan. To make the club remain as "da Milan". To be given a chance to prove himself and perhaps earn a promotion, because guys like Fassone and Mirabelli don't stay at one club for more than a few years.

We don't know if he's even qualified to be a technical director, let alone a sporting director.

He could end up having his suggestions and ideas completely ignored by Fassone and Mirabelli.
F&M could end up showing too much faith in Maldini.
There's also a perfect outcome where Paolo has just about the right amount of influence.

I think that role would have been the best solution when all things considered. If it wasn't powerful enough for Paolo then that's cool, if he leaves it at that. I hope I'm wrong but it seems he's intending to continue from where he left off with the (previous?) owners. As in bad mouthing the club and it's owners and getting fans to turn against them all because he wasn't handed the most powerful role in the sporting side of management.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
He's not asking for the most powerful role. He just want more guarantee he can't be ignored. He doesn't want to be just a face.

I should share any project, purchase or sale of a player with my fellow sporting director. In my specific question about what would happen in case of disagreement, i was told by fassone that he would be the one to decide.

You can say Maldini should just accept the offer and see where it goes. He could always quit afterwards. But the same could be said for the management. Why not give Maldini a meaningful offer and see where it goes. It doesn't mean that Maldini would have to get the final decision.

Last edited:

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
Director of sport is very powerful role. Only fassone role is more powerful imo.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
You know that feeling you feel when something bad has happened and you wish it was just a bad dream, but then you realize it wasn't. That's how I feel right now.

Sooner or later Paolo will be back at the club he loves, fans must put pressure on the new owners to make it happen sooner.

Last edited:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
We need to start a petition or some shit like that.

It's like, people are just thinking "ohh well whatever"...

do you realize what just happened? DO YOU???

Schedule