Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez

Michael Chandler interview a while back. can't remember but I heard him say something like 'Woodley gets the better of him in the standup and Woodley can't be taken down unless he wants to be on the ground'. Well Woodley us hard to take down and askren can't take down a guy as strong as Woodley. In the standup Woodley would ko tko him. I like askren and Woodley though. I want to see a grapplefest between askren and one of colby/usman.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
The Commission voted to release half - $1m - of Nurmagomedov's fight purse.

"If I would have had the video I now have, I would have also withheld McGregor's purse," said commission chair Anthony Marnell lll.

BS! They'd never do that to 'Gregor

I knew they take Khabib's easy-fought money.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Michael Chandler interview a while back. can't remember but I heard him say something like 'Woodley gets the better of him in the standup and Woodley can't be taken down unless he wants to be on the ground'. Well Woodley us hard to take down and askren can't take down a guy as strong as Woodley. In the standup Woodley would ko tko him. I like askren and Woodley though. I want to see a grapplefest between askren and one of colby/usman.
post a link

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
I think it’s a win for DJ too. Probably more interest in him in Asia

Definitely, he is an exciting fighter and their biggest name. He'll get all the spotlight.

No there wouldn't be any interest whatsoever unless he fights at featherweight or bantamweight which he probably could at onefc.

I think you can actually do decently well as smaller guy in Asia. Sure, over here DJ is a manlet but in Asia he isn't that much smaller than the average guys. But he definitely could move up - he's worlds above the competition there.

great move

ben askren vs woodza? i thought they were boys

Oh yeah, they're definitely buddies. So probably more a move for GSP rather than Woodley.

Some 3 years too late, but we will finally get to see Ben against top competition, will be interesting to see how he performs.

I don't think he will get a instant title shot because:

A) Dana hates him.
B) He isn't a big draw to make up for point A.

Dana wouldn't sign him if there was still an issue and I think Dana already has a plan for him and told him the plan ahead of signing him. Whatever beef they had must've been worked out. Those two really disliked each other a lot before.

BS! They'd never do that to 'Gregor

I knew they take Khabib's easy-fought money.

A fine was definitely coming, hope they do a small suspension but it doesn't matter - Khabib made way more on PPV numbers and that fight made him royalty in Dagestan. He also got these punks to answer for their disrespectful words and humbled them - worth more than any money in the world.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Never seen Askren fight, didn't know about him until I saw him on the JRE podcast.

Wrestler eh? GSP first, then Woodley if he wins and then superfight with Khabib if he gets the belt. Wouldn't mind a Covington trashing either.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
@Alec. You would be surprised. Asian kids are tall these days.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Never seen Askren fight, didn't know about him until I saw him on the JRE podcast.

Wrestler eh? GSP first, then Woodley if he wins and then superfight with Khabib if he gets the belt. Wouldn't mind a Covington trashing either.

GSP:

giphy.gif

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Fact remains that One FC is the biggest market for lighter fighters outside of the UFC. Even if you include the UFC.

This is a good move for all parties.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Of course there are tall Asian kids but the census doesn't lie. My 6'2 Filipino buddy sticks out like a sore thumb among all the 5'5-5'9 dudes there :D

But yeah, better nutrition and growing up in stability will help grow you tall. Makes me wonder why me and my countrymen are fucking huge almost across the board despite historically permanently being in shit :lol:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Of course there are tall Asian kids but the census doesn't lie. My 6'2 Filipino buddy sticks out like a sore thumb among all the 5'5-5'9 dudes there :D

But yeah, better nutrition and growing up in stability will help grow you tall. Makes me wonder why me and my countrymen are fucking huge almost across the board despite historically permanently being in shit :lol:

are you Austrian?

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
are you Austrian?

Ethnically? No, I just happen to live here almost my entire life though. Why?

I'm Bosnian myself and you're half Serbian so I don't need to tell you that guys from former Yugoslavia have this tendency of being very tall on average. Also probably don't need to go into how we're kinda poor down there. Austrians are pretty average size wise among western nations.

Last edited:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
askren vs mcgregor pls

Why in the world would you want this? :lol:

I want to see Conor vs guys that stand against him that he can knock out. Conor and his antics are more fun when there's a high chance of someone getting knocked the fook out.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ethnically? No, I just happen to live here almost my entire life though. Why?

I'm Bosnian myself and you're half Serbian so I don't need to tell you that guys from former Yugoslavia have this tendency of being very tall on average. Also probably don't need to go into how we're kinda poor down there. Austrians are pretty average size wise among western nations.

absolutely. I got totally confused because I remember there was a guy called Alex. Think he was from south America. I thought he just changed his name to Alec :lol::fp:. Yea I agree totally. I don't even know how we are taller on average because most Russians I have seen are quite average in height. The women are taller lol. Must be the weather and the staple diet of us Balkans. It could be due to the fact that only the strongest people survived all those gruesome ceaseless wars.
With Balkans from what I have seen are either really tall or short lol. There is no average height haha.

Last edited:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Why in the world would you want this? :lol:

I want to see Conor vs guys that stand against him that he can knock out. Conor and his antics are more fun when there's a high chance of someone getting knocked the fook out.

got to give Connor credit for his chin though. I mean I know he has flaws and isnt quite a complete striker let alone a complete fighter but I have to admit that Connor does have an iron chin.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
absolutely. I got totally confused because I remember there was a guy called Alex. Think he was from south America. I thought he just changed his name to Alec :lol::fp:. Yea I agree totally. I don't even know how we are taller on average because most Russians I have seen are quite average in height. The women are taller lol. Must be the weather and the staple diet of us Balkans. It could be due to the fact that only the strongest people survived all those gruesome ceaseless wars.
With Balkans from what I have seen are either really tall or short lol. There is no average height haha.

True, even within families. My dad is a 5'8 manlet, his brothers are 6'0 and I'm 6'4. Super random. My mom had a 5'11 brother and one that was 6'9 - purely random :lol:

got to give Connor credit for his chin though. I mean I know he has flaws and isnt quite a complete striker let alone a complete fighter but I have to admit that Connor does have an iron chin.

Yes, he can take and give. That's why I want him in entertaining striker matches. Fuck him fighting Lee or Askren. If they survive the initial standup, the fight is going to become very predictable. Rather have Conor v Nate style wars and enjoy the elite skill he has. Makes him money, gives us fun.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
True, even within families. My dad is a 5'8 manlet, his brothers are 6'0 and I'm 6'4. Super random. My mom had a 5'11 brother and one that was 6'9 - purely random :lol:

Yes, he can take and give. That's why I want him in entertaining striker matches. Fuck him fighting Lee or Askren. If they survive the initial standup, the fight is going to become very predictable. Rather have Conor v Nate style wars and enjoy the elite skill he has. Makes him money, gives us fun.

^ Exactly.

The way John Danaher (Renzo Gracie black belt, GSP's grappling instructor Firas' instructor) breaks down fighting, it is in 3 phases: free-moving phase, clinch phase, and ground phase.

I would say McGregor's best fights would be against other fighters who preferred to stay in the free-moving phase. Now that the claim he is GOAT has been proven nonsense, I don't think he has much to prove other than putting up exciting fights and making more $$$

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

But for the most part still have trouble packing up muscle or growing a larger frame.

I grew up in the states and i have such a hard time finding cloth that fit (shoulder, chest) everytime I go back.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A joke a fighter of Lewis’ caliber was even given a title shot

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
wow jacare killed weidman.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Weidman looked lean af, best shape he's ever been in, but Jacare is a stud.

DC as expected, easy money for him. HW is god awful.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
You can tell Lewis’ corner is nub too

His coach made me scratch my head with something he said in embedded. He was talking how nuts it was that people said Lewis has bad cardio and was gassed because he had a super explosive punch at the end of the Volkov fight.

Completely ignoring that he fought 3 rounds at a snails pace - or barely even fought :lol:

Guy was fortunate to be here and I can't really hate, make the money man but it was clear that DC & the AKA team would smash them.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
His coach made me scratch my head with something he said in embedded. He was talking how nuts it was that people said Lewis has bad cardio and was gassed because he had a super explosive punch at the end of the Volkov fight.

Completely ignoring that he fought 3 rounds at a snails pace - or barely even fought :lol:

Guy was fortunate to be here and I can't really hate, make the money man but it was clear that DC & the AKA team would smash them.

Lewis' "I'm just going to stand up" ground defense didn't work too well either.

Once again, definitely no hate for Lewis. But it is a joke that he was ever booked in this fight.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
DC could be GOaT. Clean jones at HW should lose to DC imo but i dont know for sure. I am a huge fan of DC but DC is not himself when he fights jones. He is too emotionally invested in dethroning Jones and he really is irked by jones's trash talk which gets to his head. I honestly believe DC can beat jones at HW because he hits hard at that weight class.
Stylistically Jones is a nightmare matchup for anybody in LHW because he is so well rounded. His teep kicks and oblique kicks plus eye pokes lol makes a difference and wins him a lot of fights. Its tough man like brendan schaub would say :lol:.

WHO can beat DC at HW in his prime?

1) Cain maybe?
2) WErdum that was juiced vs cain could be 50 50 fight
3) Maybe miocic 50 50

he beats overeem although stylistically reem would be his toughest matchup on paper. Overeem's glass haw would not hold up against DC's power, wrestling and speed though.
Dc vs prime JDS and blaydes would be interesting. I think DC should beat blaydes via decision comfortably because he has the advantage in boxing, speed, power and possibly even grappling.
Prime JDS juiced to the tits was one of the best fighters ever but AKA figured out how to dismantle him strategically.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
DC could be GOaT. Clean jones at HW should lose to DC imo but i dont know for sure. I am a huge fan of DC but DC is not himself when he fights jones. He is too emotionally invested in dethroning Jones and he really is irked by jones's trash talk which gets to his head. I honestly believe DC can beat jones at HW because he hits hard at that weight class.
I don't disagree. But Jones is as close as it comes to having all the right skill set + attributes. His range is simply too much for DC to overcome.

WHO can beat DC at HW in his prime?

1) Cain maybe?
2) WErdum that was juiced vs cain could be 50 50 fight
3) Maybe miocic 50 50

1) Cain possess better attributes (minus getting injured), DC has more advanced wrestling and around the same boxing.
2) Werdum would be a good fight for DC.
3) Miocic isn't good, DC wins everytime for me.

I would still put Fedor as a list of good opponents for DC, who knows. Would still love to see them fight.

he beats overeem although stylistically reem would be his toughest matchup on paper. Overeem's glass haw would not hold up against DC's power, wrestling and speed though.
No doubt, DC would take out Overeem easy. Striking was always Ubereem's forte and although he had "underrated" grappling skills (nasty guillotine), I still see DC systematically outgrappling Overeem easy.

Dc vs prime JDS and blaydes would be interesting. I think DC should beat blaydes via decision comfortably because he has the advantage in boxing, speed, power and possibly even grappling.
200.gif

Blaydes began wrestling for the De La Salle Institute, winning a state title his senior year while also compiling an undefeated 44-0 record. During his four years, Blaydes compiled an overall record of 95-18 with 121 takedowns. Blaydes also played football for De La Salle as a defensive end. He later earned a full wrestling scholarship to Northern Illinois University, where, despite going 19-2 as a redshirt freshman, later transferred to Harper College. At Harper, Blaydes won the NJCAA National Championship as a redshirt sophomore.

After graduating from OSU with a degree in sociology, Cormier went on to have a successful career in Freestyle Wrestling. He was the senior U.S. national champion every year from 2003–2008, and represented team USA at the world level for each of those years. He competed at 96 kg, or 211.6 lbs. At the 2004 Olympics he took 4th place after losing to Khadzhimurat Gatsalov in the semi-finals.[12] Cormier was also a member of the 2008 Olympic wrestling team for the USA, where he was named team captain, but was pulled from competition due to kidney failure, brought on by excessive weight cutting.[13]

In the non-Olympic years, Cormier reached the top 5 at the Wrestling World Championships on two separate occasions, 2003 and 2007. He won a bronze medal at the 2007 competition. Cormier also won a gold medal at the quadrennial Pan American Games in 2003. Another major accomplishment came in 2005, when Cormier became one of a select few Americans to win a gold medal at the Golden Grand-Prix Ivan Yarygin, held in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, and considered by many to be the most challenging wrestling tournament in the world.

Possibly? :lol:

Prime JDS juiced to the tits was one of the best fighters ever but AKA figured out how to dismantle him strategically.
:lol: no, he wasn't. Not even close.

And no. More like anyone who wasn't a BJJ guy charging in for a sloppy take down or had some decent wrestling. Dude was a blue belt, pretty far from being well rounded.

Last edited:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
lol I thought size would play a role between blades and DC on terms of grappling but I totally forgot that this is the HW version of Dzc we are talking about.
At the time man utd was terrifying. remember how he used to put guys out with a single punch. Like when he destroyed werdum with an uppercut from hell Jesus.

Probably fedor could beat DC. I don't know. Would go the distance for sure. I know I have been dubious about fedor's skill but I decided to watch some old tapes to find out. His skillset was by far the best I have ever seen in my life. That fight against cro cop was the most high level striking matchup I have come across. The way fedor defended head kicks was simply fascinating to watch. If DC learnt how to block and counter head kicks from fedor, he would beat Jones even if Jones was juiced to the gills.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
lol I thought size would play a role between blades and DC on terms of grappling but I totally forgot that this is the HW version of Dzc we are talking about.

Nah homie, Cormier was HW first before his LHW run. In terms of body shape, him and Fedor are extremely similar too, hence the nickname "Black Fedor". Many suggested that Fedor was a smaller HW and that he should fight LHW.

At the time man utd was terrifying. remember how he used to put guys out with a single punch. Like when he destroyed werdum with an uppercut from hell Jesus.

That was Werdum pre-Rafael Cordeiro. We didn't really see the "improved striking" Werdum until around his Big Nog/Travis Browne fight. I remember pretty clearly because around that time Rafa Dos Anjos also had a similar resurgence and it was also due to working with Rafael Cordeiro.

I think Dos Santos had some pretty mean hands, coupled with the fact that he was juiced he did KO a lot of people. But overall as a fighter, he was extremely 1-dimensional and the people he KO'ed other than Cain weren't as impressive as UFC hyped him up to be. Though I would still definitely rate him at least 1 tier above other KO hype trains like N'Gannou or Derrick Lewis.

Probably fedor could beat DC. I don't know. Would go the distance for sure. I know I have been dubious about fedor's skill but I decided to watch some old tapes to find out. His skillset was by far the best I have ever seen in my life. That fight against cro cop was the most high level striking matchup I have come across. The way fedor defended head kicks was simply fascinating to watch. If DC learnt how to block and counter head kicks from fedor, he would beat Jones even if Jones was juiced to the gills.

I agree. One thing Fedor was really impressive at was closing the distance through angling so fast. Whether throwing a haymaker or going for a throw or take down, he closes the distance fast and punishes his opponent in a flurry. I see his explosiveness as one thing that is better than DC but DC's game is centered around wrestling and control whereas Fedor's was more combat Sambo style.

DC's biggest problem is that he is going to eat a bunch of things on his way in to closing the distance with Jones. At this point, I don't really see DC winning that match up.

Last edited:

Schedule