Ballon d'Or (Golden Ball)

Who will be the winner of Golden Ball this Year ?

• Kaka'

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Andrea Pirlo

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Leo Messi

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Francesco Totti

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Ronaldinho

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Luca Toni

• Frank Ribery

• Riquelme

• Francesc Fabregas

• Gigi Buffon

• Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Didier Drogba

• Steven Gerard

• Genaro Gattuso

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Paul Scholes

• Ruud van Nistelrooy

• David Villa

• Paolo Maldini

• Deco

• Thierry Henry

• Diego

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Clarence Seedorf

• Miroslav Klose

• Total voters

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Like everything that is wrong with the world...it had to be a scot :head:...wait no, I actually love scots ;).

I should've been expecting that - must be at least a week since you brought up the greatest moment in the history of your country. :tongue:

Look at Dave McPherson of Rangers, Hearts and general bastard fame switching off to leave Aberdeen's hometown hero McKimmie 2-on-1 at the back post. Tosser.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I should've been expecting that - must be at least a week since you brought up the greatest moment in the history of your country. :tongue:

Look at Dave McPherson of Rangers, Hearts and general bastard fame switching off to leave Aberdeen's hometown hero McKimmie 2-on-1 at the back post. Tosser.

Actually, the greatest moment in the history of my country was the first time someone stole a cow and put it in a taxi, but that's close.

The guy that made a back heel pass was my second favorite player.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Actually, the greatest moment in the history of my country was the first time someone stole a cow and put it in a taxi, but that's close.

MDR! :D

What a country. That quote may come to rival Milano84's basketball coaching.

Last edited:

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Casillas is error prone, but to be honest, so are Reina, Van Der Saar and Valdes. I think he's made his fair share of amazing saves to be in the top 5 of the best keepers. I don't agree that he's just a shot stopper though, he's very secure on crosses aswell, unlike someone like Valdes or Dida in his best days, which is what puts him above them. But I think it's obvious that he doesn't have anything on Buffon and maybe even Cesar. I can't remember seeing Buffon make any blunders, plus the fact that he's there when it really matters (Remember 2003 vs us?).

I think you could also make a case for Frey to be in the top 5 as well. I don't think there's many keepers in better form than him at the moment. Same can be said about Lloris, although I'll admit, I've mostly seen him in the Champions League.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Milan Congratulate Lionel Messi After Ballon D'Or Win
The Rossoneri have sent warm wishes to Messi after he won the Ballon d'Or...

Dec 1, 2009 11:20:44 AM

Milan have sent their congratulations to Barcelona ace Lionel Messi after he scooped the 2009 Ballon d'Or award.

Messi won 473 votes out of 480 to win the coveted award from France Football. Milan have enjoyed their fare share of success in the award over the years and they have sent a warm message to Messi via their official website.

A statement from Milan reads:

"Immediate warm and heart felt congratulations from Milan to Lionel Messi. Milan have had such success of major trophies that we cannot help but appreciate those who win major titles and individual honours. It's a common thing among big clubs to congratulate each othe
r.

"In 2008 Manchester United players made some nice comments about Milan after they won the ChampionsLeague in Moscow.

"In 2009 Barcelona made some nice statements about Paolo Maldini after they won the Champions League in Rome. Therefore our appreciation in relation to big winners is a natural one."

Salvatore Landolina, Goal.com

----

Just gonna say, classy move (despite berlusconi's desire to remind everyone milan=champion.)

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
This feels as empty as Obama winning the nobel, for some reason.

adriancg

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Buffon, Fábregas, Rino, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Zidane, Kaká, R9, Pato, Agüero, Thiago Silva, Jovetic
There was hardly any excitement for the Ballon D'Or this season because everyone and their mother already knew who was going to win it.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
Congrats for Messi.
He will be the first Argentinian who won Ballon d'Or. Before him there were Alberto di Stefano and Omar Sivori who was Argentinian but when they won the award they already became Spanish and Italian. Btw.. the margin between Messi's point and Ronaldo's was the biggest in the history of this award.. Nice ;)

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
There was hardly any excitement for the Ballon D'Or this season because everyone and their mother already knew who was going to win it.

I feel like it's been that way for a while. Can't remember last time i was surprised...

Maybe when nedved won in 2003?

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
I feel like it's been that way for a while. Can't remember last time i was surprised...

Maybe when nedved won in 2003?

well off course everyone would know the winner, the press is not giving any competition at all at the winners this past few years..
it's a bit dull but that's just the way it is

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Milano84 ... Frey!

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ballon d’Or Analysis: Why Hasn’t Xavi Been Recognised As The Best Player In The World?

Goal.com’s Ashish Sharma questions why the maestro hasn’t been duly acknowledged for his brilliance…

There is no doubt or argument that Lionel Messi is worthy of receiving the highest accolades in football for what he has achieved particularly last season for Barcelona.

He finished as the fourth top scorer in La Liga and only Diego Forlan, Samuel Eto’o and David Villa netted more than he did. An astonishing feat considering that, unlike that exceptional trio, he is not a centre forward. Messi of course also helped Barcelona to win a unique treble and scored a spectacular goal with his head in the Champions League final, against Manchester United.

Messi’s graduation to the Ballon d’Or summit has come after a solid apprenticeship, which has seen him eventually climb from third, to second last year, to finally become the winner this year. In a way, he really is the first, second and third best player in the world… and not Cristiano Ronaldo, as he had claimed last year.

What is truly typical of this humble mega star of the game – Messi, not Ronaldo – is that he recognises that his feat is a team effort. Speaking shortly after being named the 2009 European Footballer of the Year, Messi admitted that he felt any one of his other team-mates who were also nominated could have, and would have deserved to win the award. And Messi was also quick to praise Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola for what he has done for the player in helping him progress and develop.

So all is well. The world hails a new winner, an immensely likeable, humble, down-to-earth player with an embarrassingly enormous amount of talent. At only 22 years old, Messi is one of a handful of players who in an instant can have the whole stadium leap up onto its feet with a moment of exceptional magic and skill.

But still something nags away in the background. You begin to wonder that if Messi is that fantastic, cool looking elegant sports car that everyone simply purrs at when it’s moving into top gear as smooth and quiet as anything, what about the designer? What about the engineer? The architect? The genius with the vision to come up with the concept and make it reality. What about that master craftsman who, on a turn, can slip a ball through an entire defence and give that motor that free space to show what it can do?

In the traffic jam of a congested midfield, what about that silky technician who can spin a ball out to any flank or ride a challenge and suddenly create space? The one who moves the ball with such ferocious burst of speed that opponents fall down in a twisted heap having been turned one way then the other with his mesmerising passes? What of that professor of the game who controls the pace, rhythm and the tempo of everything not only for Barcelona but the Spanish national team as well? The player who Maradona recently singled out for praise among all the embarrassing riches of talent that Spain has to offer as a footballing nation?

In short, what of Xavi Hernandez?

Read it here if you have not already seen it repeated elsewhere on the site of Goal.com.

Xavi is today by far and away the best footballer in the world by a country mile, or a million kilometres or by any other Earth or Martian measurement of distance you care to use. The diminutive midfielder who reminds me so much of the Hollywood star Andy Garcia with his clean cut Latin looks, is the best thing that has moved a midfield since any player you care to mention.

The intelligence in his eyes both on and off the field is remarkable. At 29 he is now playing through the peak of his career. And the only disappointing aspect about the Ballon d’Or is that it failed this year is to recognise that Xavi has consistently been an outstanding player for both club and country since coming back from tearing his knee ligaments in the 2005/2006 season.

It also failed to take into consideration that the incredible season Barcelona had was built upon the outstanding gift this player has for football. Failed to acknowledge that Spain winning the European Championship in 2008 was down to two key players: Marcos Senna and Xavi, who was named as the player of the tournament by UEFA.

If Fernando Torres scored an exception goal in the final against Germany to illustrate his talent as an outstanding marksman, then what words to describe the pass by Xavi that released him? That it failed to honour the player who, while Messi was heading home the second goal in the Champions League final, he was heading off to be named as the man of the match.

His abilities are so great that you only have to look at the current winner, Leo Messi, in another context to realise how great Xavi is. Messi has struggled to work his magic for Argentina, who in the end despite having his rare skill to call upon, struggled to qualify for the World Cup finals. One of the reasons given for this, aside from the way the Argentine team is set up, is that there simply is not a player in the national team of the ability of Xavi who can release Messi to do his thing in the way the Spaniard does.

Similarly for all his individual brilliance, last year’s winner Cristiano Ronaldo for the most part of Portugal’s qualifying campaign, (when he wasn’t injured) failed to inspire his country. Whereas, whether its Messi or Samuel Eto’o in front of him, or if it’s David Silva or Villa, whether it’s Seydou Keita or Yaya Toure alongside him or if its Xabi Alonso and Senna, Xavi controls, dominates and inspires the national team in equal measures as he does his club side.

Given all this you have to ask the question. At what point and what more does this player have to do to receive the recognition that is his entirely?

This time next year Xavi will be 30. There is no guarantee that by then Barcelona will again have won any of the major titles of the triplete. There is no guarantee that Spain will have been crowned as world champions which they are such hot favourites to do at the moment of writing.

If Xavi, with all that he has achieved in this last season has not won those honours, then what chances of him winning the award next year? He has only finished in the top three once and that was this year’s edition when he came in behind Ronaldo and Messi. If you care to glance at past winners, it’s astounding to think that if the likes of Michael Owen, Fabio Cannavaro, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham, Deco can be on the honours list, why is it that Xavi still have to wait to be recognised for the extraordinary player that he is.

Leo and Cristiano are still so young they have not even reached their peak. They have plenty of time to win this award over and over again to the point of boredom. But Xavi is in his ascendency now. He is also an exemplary role model off the field and a player of tremendous loyalty. Barcelona is his only club, having been with them since he was eleven.

If this rare and exceptional talent is not given the individual recognition that he deserves, then the concept of football being a team game is made into a mockery.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
no respect for xavi since he was a crack adict and went in and out of prison......

robert_downey_jr.jpg

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Because of him you should have more respect towards him. Have you seen Inside The Actors Studio with Downey Jr? YT it. Simply brilliant.

oh yess.. I am a downey jr fan. Lives the life i strive for... And contrary to popular belief, i never dislikes xavi, just got sick of the keyboard ejaculation he recieves on this forum. Watching spanish games, the time and space he gets to operate are ridiculous. but in all honestly I would have voted him 2nd to CRonaldo for balon d'or who I think truly carried a mediocre man utd team, and only lost because he didn't score 42 goals again

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
goal.com again trying to stir up a debate or whatever. Between two equally worthy players, the attacker will alwaysbe the one to get the accolade. Its the basic principle in football. Xavi should be thrilled to be in the list, its a huge recognition anyway. And Ronaldo is a worthy second, because only Messi was better than him last year.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Xavi was better than both Messi and Ronaldo IMO. He has something like 10 goals and 30 + assist but it wasn't only his statistics. Also, winning the Euros' and being name best player in the tournament. NT performance should also be accounted for and both Messi and Ronaldo have been sub par in that regard.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
xavi was awesome but i like iniesta more :eek: (ya but that punk dives all the time :()

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
xavi was awesome but i like iniesta more :eek: (ya but that punk dives all the time :()

i've always been curious how good iniesta would be if he was main play maker on a team. No doubt he coul do it, but could he do it like xavi, cesc, pirlo and others have?

Iniesta is just an amazing team player, takes whatever role is needed and does it well.... doesn't demand ball like a xavi does and plays off him wonderfully. But i've always been curious, if iniesta was "the guy" in midfield for a team, how good he'd be

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
i've always been curious how good iniesta would be if he was main play maker on a team. No doubt he coul do it, but could he do it like xavi, cesc, pirlo and others have?

Iniesta is just an amazing team player, takes whatever role is needed and does it well.... doesn't demand ball like a xavi does and plays off him wonderfully. But i've always been curious, if iniesta was "the guy" in midfield for a team, how good he'd be

I've never really seen Iniesta as a playmaker. He has good vision, but his big strength is really his dribling ability. Xavi is always moving into space, and is really good at finding it. For instance in the game against Inter, he was constantly in tons of space, which I think he'll have to get credit for, since Inter isn't usually a team with poor marking.

I really think the Barca trio should've been 1,2 and 3 on the Balon d'Or list. You could easily make a case for either of them to win, and I really don't see what Cristiano Ronaldo has done last season to get infront of Xavi/Iniesta, especially when you count the WC Qualifiers.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
barca has the best mf in the world along with ibra , but they have puyol and valdes :D

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I really don't see what Cristiano Ronaldo has done last season to get infront of Xavi/Iniesta, especially when you count the WC Qualifiers.

he carried a mediocre man utd team to finals in UCL (he was ridiculous vs. porto, arsenal etc.) And he won ALOT of matches in league for them.... not as impressive as 2008, but hardly poor

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I think the fact that these awards are always biased towards attackers discredits them. Sure, they made an exception with Cannavaro, but that doesn't change what is an otherwise unfair greatness recognition system. For example, you'd be hard pushed to find players greater than Baresi and Maldini ...

Xavi and Iniesta are indeed excellent midfielders. Still, they have the comfort of always playing ahead of a very dynamic + defensively sound DM. It makes their work (creating) much more easier than say Pirlo who has huge defensive responsibilities, with him sitting right in front of defense.

Even today, my favorite creative CM remains Stefan Effenberg. Great player.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
whenever maldini played there was baresi and whenever he played great he didnt had that extra bit of luck :eek: see italian nt they always tend to lose by a whisker :eek:
1994 1998 2000 2002 :eek: paolo is just unlucky not to win it but baresi deserved it( i know about him from the old doc and videos)

cannavaro shouldnt have won in 2006 it should have been bucky hands down but he fucking up with entire brasil team in wc cost him that title

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
LOL @ Pirlo getting more forum votes for Ballon D'or than Zlatan+Fabregas+Drogba+Scholes+Rooney+Henry+Ribery+Quaresma+Diego combined.

Eat that haterz. :o

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka haters can die :D

he is 13 times better than pirlo :eek: poop is popular

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
he carried a mediocre man utd team to finals in UCL (he was ridiculous vs. porto, arsenal etc.) And he won ALOT of matches in league for them.... not as impressive as 2008, but hardly poor

I don't think Man Utd was a mediocre team last season. It seemed to me like a team who's strength was it's defence, not it's attack. As far as I remember they had a pretty long run without conceding in the EPL, which pretty much proved to be the difference between them and the rest. It was hardly Cristiano Ronaldo carriyng the team, although I'll admit, I rarely watch Manchester United in the EPL so I might not get the full picture.

I wouldn't really call him ridicules against Porto either. As far as I remember he was totally anonymous until he scored that long shot. Anyways, I don't think the Balon d'Or should be based on one match alone, it's over a season it should be decided. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's had a poor year, I just wouldn't put him infront of Xavi/Iniesta, who have been the core of Barcelona and Spain, and tbh I think the only reason he's come infront of them, is because he's such a star.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
whenever maldini played there was baresi and whenever he played great he didnt had that extra bit of luck :eek: see italian nt they always tend to lose by a whisker :eek:
1994 1998 2000 2002 :eek: paolo is just unlucky not to win it but baresi deserved it( i know about him from the old doc and videos)

cannavaro shouldnt have won in 2006 it should have been bucky hands down but he fucking up with entire brasil team in wc cost him that title

94, 98 - penalties; 2000 - Istanbul-like craziness + epic Del Piero misses; 02 - cheated out ... doesn't change the fact that in a world full of 'great' players, he was epically better. I mean, how many players have played at the level he has for so long? Unbelievable. He stopped different generations of Ballon d 'Or winners, hence Paolo + Baresi > Ballon d 'Or.

Canna was epic in Germany 06. Pirlo and Gattuso were also sublime. I don't think Dinho was anything special in 06. He wasn't extraordinary in Barca's UCL triumph (very quiet second leg against Milan, and in the final against Arsenal) and anonymous in Germany. If anything, Henry was more spectacular.