View Single Post
Old 27-11-2020, 09:03   #502
ToonInvader
4th GK

Fav. Players: Maldini, Davids, Schweinsteiger, Bergkamp, Jonah Hill

I thought this was a particularly poor performance tbf. There's no need to be overly pessimistic or anything but a great deal of what we do on the pitch just does not add up into a visibly functioning, efficacious play. Like, a lot happens on the pitch (a lot of running etc.) but out of 10 passes that are not just between bennacer-kjaer-gabbia or from one full back up to the other, at least half of those passes or moves are either aimless long balls or missed short passes between ill-positioned players. The link-up play between the defensive mid and the attacking midfield is really poor. And it has been like since, well, a very long time.

Hypothesis: when we play well it seems like we're playing an actual 4-4-2 with the AM gravitating around Zlatan to provide the last passe or be in a shooting position opened up by Zlatan himself playing the pivot.

Our wingers don't cut inside and shoot as you'd see in a 4-2-3-1. A great deal of our direct attacking plays comes either from direct crosses or vertical runs with short, last-minute passes in the box. Rebic does not cut inside, Leao does a bit more but mostly in counter-attacks and Castillejo tries a lot but fails

I fail to see (I might be wrong) that we're actually using the system of a 4-2-3-1. We clearly do in non-possession phases (even there we're closer to a 4-4-1-1)

I feel like an effective 4-2-3-1 needs a lot of action from the AM in the center of the pitch, dictating the tempo etc. My impression is that TCHALA' either plays too close to the midfield line or too close to the CF. I don't see any AM acting like an AM.

I might be wrong but I don't see us using all the resources of a 4-2-3-1.

Signature

"Life goes on. Otherwise, Maradonna would still play football. I am now the coach of AC Milan. But in a few years, I'll be back in Livorno, fishing on a raft in the middle of the sea " M.A.
ToonInvader is offline   Reply With Quote