Serendipity
Reaction score
Download Footballs Greatest: Diego Maradona

sinttulowq.png

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I love this clip/scene from the movie Maradona by Kusturica. Sums up Maradona very well. Afterall, off the field he was not a hero or a superhuman, and never aimed to be. He was flawed, fat, he had troubles, he loved, hate... He was human just like everyone else.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Sven.

Edit:

Seeing that vid makes me remember how much I used to love Maradona when I was a kid. Whyyyyyy didn't he play for Milan?? :(

I was 7 years old during the World Cup 1990 final, and Maradona was my ultimate hero then. During the final he got hurt by a German player and they had to carry him out on a stretcher. I started crying and I remember asking my dad if he was going to come back and play. My dad said, "he's the captain son, captains can't get injured, he'll be back soon" :D. And soon enough he was back on the pitch (fuck you Brehme).

Ohh well, trip down the memory lane.

Last edited:

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score

I love this clip/scene from the movie Maradona by Kusturica. Sums up Maradona very well. Afterall, off the field he was not a hero or a superhuman, and never aimed to be. He was flawed, fat, he had troubles, he loved, hate... He was human just like everyone else.

God Bless you Sven :star:

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
He is the one who made me love football. My HERO!
I feel so lucky grew up by watching him in the field. Started in World Cup Mexico '86. I laugh out so loud when people said Messi can be greater than him. The truth is not even close to equal him. Watch Diego play first, before you rate him. There is no one like him, never will be.
Maradona > Football

kristpdr

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo Maradona Maldini Baresi Baggio Cafu
Another champion of skilled movements:-)D) with no character. I saw him play in the WC 94 but he was already finished then. On a footballing level I think he wasn't one of the best. In my books Zizou comes way in front of him.

On a footballing level he is the best despite being a dopehead since the mid 80s... :)

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
tumblr_liz2dusCeC1qh8q9wo1_1280.jpg

June 1982: Argentina youngster Diego Maradona poses for his identity card for the 1982 FIFA World Cup.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
So someone linked me this song

Which reminded me of the program El Ritmo de la Noche (possibly just the latinos in here will remember, not sure if the brazilians will)..., Marcelo Tinelli had some of my favorite shows in the world (videomatch and this one).

Can't imagine someone of Maradona's calibre playing papi futbol like this (and he did it more than once), he even lifts the trophy with passion lol. Awesome mullet

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Poker vs Boca Juniors

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Without a shadow of doubt the greatest

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
coisa de argentino mesmo!

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
The only reason why i started watching football was cos of diego.... people always bring up 86 and the handball goal... tbh it was a nice goal, i mean for a man of his size to outjump shilton is 1 reason y the goal should stand... well his 2nd goal was probably the greatest goal ever scored. Also to get to the final of italia 90 was a huge achievement, they defeated the brazilians and italians.

Will always respect him as a footballer, Zizou is the only guy who comes close to overtaking him in recent years.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
He was also the best at free kicks!

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Esa mañana habrá sido como todas. El mediodía también. Y la tarde arranca, en apariencia, como tantas otras. Una pelota y veintidós tipos. Y otros millones de tipos comiéndose los codos delante de la tele, en los puntos más distantes del planeta. Pero ojo, que esa tarde es distinta. No es un partido. Mejor dicho: no es sólo un partido. Hay algo más. Hay mucha rabia, y mucho dolor, y mucha frustración acumuladas en todos esos tipos que miran la tele. Son emociones que no nacieron por el fútbol. Nacieron en otro lado. En un sitio mucho más terrible, mucho más hostil, mucho más irrevocable. Pero a nosotros, a los de acá, no nos cabe otra que contestar en una cancha, porque no tenemos otro sitio, porque somos pocos, porque estamos solos, porque somos pobres. Pero ahí está la cancha, el fútbol, y son ellos o nosotros. Y si somos nosotros el dolor no va a desaparecer, ni la humillación ha de terminarse. Pero si son ellos. Ay, si son ellos. Si son ellos la humillación va a ser todavía más grande, más dolorosa, más intolerable. Vamos a tener que quedarnos mirándonos las caras, diciéndonos en silencio «te das cuenta, ni siquiera aquí, ni siquiera esto se nos dio a nosotros».

Así que están ahí los tipos. Los once nuestros y los once de ellos. Es fútbol, pero es mucho más que fútbol. Porque cuatro años es muy poco tiempo como para que te amaine el dolor y se te apacigüe la rabia. Por eso no es sólo fútbol.

Y con semejantes antecedentes de tarde borrascosa, con semejante prólogo de tragedia, va este tipo y se cuelga para siempre del cielo de los nuestros. Porque se planta enfrente de los contrarios y los humilla. Porque los roba. Porque delante de sus ojos los afana. Y aunque sea les devuelve ese afano por el otro, por el más grande, por el infinitamente más enorme y ultrajante. Porque aunque nada cambie allá están ellos, en sus casas y en sus calles, en sus pubs, queriéndose comer las pantallas de pura rabia, de pura impotencia de que el tipo salga corriendo mirando de reojito al árbitro que se compra el paquete y marca el medio.

http://impedimento.org/2008/11/01/me-van-a-tener-que-disculpar/

It's one of the best articles about football I've ever read.
Was trying to find an English version but them I figured how ridiculous it would be... Doubt it was ever translated to English

Post here for the Spanish/Portuguese speaking people anyway

Last edited:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not asking for a summary, but what's the conclusion?

It's about Maradona goals against England in the 86 WC, from the pov of and Argentine. Part of it is kind of a moral discussion, though it's a bit pointless, it's the narrative about the goals and his meaning that is really nice here.

Last edited:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
U know wot pisses me off abt that 'HoG' goal? Is that nobody talks abt the beautiful build-up play that led to the goal! Its just as pleasing to the eye as his 2nd goal.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
U know wot pisses me off abt that 'HoG' goal? Is that nobody talks abt the beautiful build-up play that led to the goal! Its just as pleasing to the eye as his 2nd goal.

Lot of people try to be hipsters talkinjg about that build-up.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
U must be mainstream urself : )

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players