Tennis

Should women be paid the same sum as men in Grand Slams?

• Total voters

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
I don't really like Nadal all that much, and was rooting for Djokovic but people seem to be making this out to be more of a walk over than it was. Ignoring the fact in the third set Nadal destroyed him and also broke him back in the 4th. He deserves credit for playing at times incredible, people are just ignoring that. Not to say it wasn't a convincing win, but Nadal wasn't poor aside from the second set, where Djokovic blew him away.

Had Nadal won the 4th he would have gone on to win it

But he didn't....

Was Nadal's fluke in the 3rd or 4th? That took the piss. Nadal is now finding out how Federer feels. Djokovic's style doesn't suit Nadal, just like how Rafa has the perfect style to beat Federer (top spin forehand against Federer's one handed backhand). A lot of it is mental aswell IMO. Nadal crumbled in the last game of the first set in the same way Federer did in the first set of the French.

Good to see Del Potro playing well. There's 5 possible winners for the USO.

shimec

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Kaka, Bierhoff, Weah, Savicevic, Boban, Zidane, Raul,
There can be only one winner of USO, and I think everybody knows who that will be! :p

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
Only ever time I've seen Nadal destroyed so badly was against Del Potro in 2009.
He got destroyed five times this year by Djokovic, each time looking competely hopeless out there.

I don't really like Nadal all that much, and was rooting for Djokovic but people seem to be making this out to be more of a walk over than it was. Ignoring the fact in the third set Nadal destroyed him and also broke him back in the 4th. He deserves credit for playing at times incredible, people are just ignoring that. Not to say it wasn't a convincing win, but Nadal wasn't poor aside from the second set, where Djokovic blew him away.

Had Nadal won the 4th he would have gone on to win it.
It was a huge walkover. A final between the two best players in the world should be much tighter. Instead, we saw Djokovic destroying Nadal at will, whenever he feels like going a gear up.

Djokovic's style doesn't suit Nadal, just like how Rafa has the perfect style to beat Federer (top spin forehand against Federer's one handed backhand). A lot of it is mental aswell IMO. Nadal crumbled in the last game of the first set in the same way Federer did in the first set of the French.
+1

There can be only one winner of USO, and I think everybody knows who that will be! :p
+1. sadly

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Djokovic, Diego Armando Maradona
http://www.acmilan.com/en/news/breaking_news_show/11878

http://www.acmilan.com/en/news/show/134744

Can it be more beautifull? :D
unledgd.png

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Only ever time I've seen Nadal destroyed so badly was against Del Potro in 2009.

Also vs Gonzalez at Aussie Open when Chilean made it to final.

Congrats Nole! Worthy world no.1. :beer:

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Jos jedna pobeda,

Jos jedna titula,

Jer ti si Nole kralj,

Teniski Gospodar!

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir

nice article, though I'm not sure Nadal loses because he plays too much safe. He has the same amount of errors as Djokovic. The biggest difference from playing other guys is not the way he counters hard balls, but in the offensive phase. Novak's defending is just too good. He's too quick, too tall and even manages to return hard balls at the sides, instead of just staying alive in the point by crossing the net, like the other players do when Nadal is on offense.

Nadal is not beating Djokovic in the near future. To do that he needs to change his top spin shot, which is impossible. And if he does that, he might will start losing to Federer:lol:

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
C_27_photogallery_4794_GroupPhotogallery_listphoto_itemPhoto_1_immagine.jpg

:eek::eek:
Serbs know how to party:thumbsup:, thats a bigger crowd than ours celebration at the duomo.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
it was ridiculous. Didn't see the Spaniards make another woodstock after Rafa became No.1, nor the swiss about Fderer:o

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
it was ridiculous. Didn't see the Spaniards make another woodstock after Rafa became No.1, nor the swiss about Fderer:o
Didn't chileans(?) make something similar when Rios became number one? Presidental balcoyt shit ...

:lol: Rios :lol:

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
100 000 people were on celebration. :)

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Noooo, but i do recall 2 million spaniards being cramped together in the streets of madrid after 1 measly world cup title.:o:o:o

Serbs are proud of their compatriot, as they should be, huge achievement, nice story for a country going trough not all that great of a period.:thumbsup:

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Noooo, but i do recall 2 million spaniards being cramped together in the streets of madrid after 1 measly world cup title.:o:o:o

Serbs are proud of their compatriot, as they should be, huge achievement, nice story for a country going trough not all that great of a period.:thumbsup:

Thanks for this. Don't pay too much attention on the spoiler. We are always celebrating like this. It's the only thing where you can be happy on your compatriot. It's very hard here. For example for you who don't know Djokovic father who many people hate here had to sold his last chair to pay him to train. He also was landing money from some muff guys putting his head on a plate. They were miserable. Didn't know if they would have money to buy basic groceries to eat something. It's living from today till tomorrow never know if you gonna make it. You can't plan anything. But he believed in him and eventually it paid off. It's same with me and many of my friends. We live in workers' settlement. I can barely earn enough to pay my scholarship. And when I finish my faculty I can't be hoping to have a nice job because in Serbia if you haven't connections you can't do shit. But I'm trying. And what's so wrong when many of the people who work hard just for few guys who control everything go to the reception of the man who made them proud. Proud to be Serbians. It's when you forget about everything and go there and celebrate with your compatriots. You can't expect for some Madridista to understand what is hard life when Real put 95mil for C. Ronaldo. Simple man have to work 300 years in here for that kind of money.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
lol I'm from Macedonia, its even worse in here from economic point of view. Don't give me that crap ohh he went to so much shit and now he finally did it so its time to celebrate. This is nothing but serbian self righteousness at its best, in football it different, in football national teams matter. In tennis its all about the individual, is a noble sport, nationality doesn't matter much, except for Djokovic.

Just to clarify, if it was a Macedonian player who won Wimbledon and there were celebrations like this, I would have also been against it. Its completely over the top and unfitting for a game like tennis. Just like cheering in stadiums where tennis is played, its simply not the way it is.

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
lol I'm from Macedonia, its even worse in here from economic point of view. Don't give me that crap ohh he went to so much shit and now he finally did it so its time to celebrate. This is nothing but serbian self righteousness at its best, in football it different, in football national teams matter. In tennis its all about the individual, is a noble sport, nationality doesn't matter much, except for Djokovic.

Just to clarify, if it was a Macedonian player who won Wimbledon and there were celebrations like this, I would have also been against it. Its completely over the top and unfitting for a game like tennis. Just like cheering in stadiums where tennis is played, its simply not the way it is.

It's not worse, trust me. You have low wages but you have low prices. Here you spend 2/3 of your salary just on food.
Anyway stop with this bullshit talk, it's individual sport, and so what? You wanna say that this is stupid just because it's individual sport? What the only thing that we should celebrate is football and basketball? Than you don't know nothing abut sport. It's noble sport, so is boxing. Explain to me what "noble" has to do with anything. And also what is noble sport? Why is boxing so noble?
You want to say to me, when Djokovic surrendered match against Rodick on AU open because of the heat, they didn't want to close the roof, but when Serena asked them, and was losing to Azarenka they close the roof and she won eventually. Nationality doesn't matter? Really?
When Monika Seles was stabbed in the back, no one was punished. You won't to tell me that that would happened if she was at that time American and not Yugoslavian. You really think that no one would be punished for stabbing American girl?

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Classic Serbian whining about conspiracy, hence making every achievement so amplified. :rolleyes:

And the fact that Djokovic surrendered the match against Roddick is another proof of how much of a whiner he is. In tennis, nationality is secondary, its a fact and it always has been so. btw Djokovic was one of the top players in the world for a long time, he has beaten Federer and Nadal several times already before this. He won the US open (or Australian, I forgot). Why all the hoopla now? I really couldn't believe my eyes, hundred thousand people, turbofolk singers and every person related with Djokovic on the stage.

Marcus

Costacurta Groupie
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Pazzini, MENEZ
Classic Serbian whining about conspiracy, hence making every achievement so amplified. :rolleyes:

And the fact that Djokovic surrendered the match against Roddick is another proof of how much of a whiner he is. In tennis, nationality is secondary, its a fact and it always has been so. btw Djokovic was one of the top players in the world for a long time, he has beaten Federer and Nadal several times already before this. He won the US open (or Australian, I forgot). Why all the hoopla now? I really couldn't believe my eyes, hundred thousand people, turbofolk singers and every person related with Djokovic on the stage.

Cut that out. There is no need for such talk in this thread.

If Serbs want to be proud of a number one tennis player instead of many different dubious heroes over the years, I'm happy for them.

Anyway, this is the tennis thread. Discuss tennis.

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Of course you couldn't believe it cause you don't have nothing to be proud of. You represent classic Madrid cunt which only celebrate success brought buy money and fame. Classic youth TV pro-american product affected buy commercial and brain washed.
Why we were celebrating now when he was already beating Nadal and Fed? First he became No 1, the thing that we all were expecting for a long time. You know that last season he was mostly losing big game matches and many of us thought that it's over. He will fall, like Ljubicic, Rodick and many others who were No 3 for past years. But he didn't. He won Davis cup (where of course "nationality doesn't matter") which eventually give him the mental strength to surpass all problems and became No 1. He started winning after that, had more confidence. It's like a crown after waking in 3h AM to watch his games since 2007 and you finally live to see that he finally succeed. Second, do you really know how important is Wimbledon? It's the most important tournament in tennis. Just watch all the tennis experts and past tennis players what do they had to say before the tournament. There is documentary made about Wimbledon for the period from 2000-2010 (past decade). But you clearly don't know shit about tennis and only want to spoil things for the others.
I would like to see you to play with allergy problems for years and not to surrender one single match. Have you see Djokovic surrender one single match when he discovered gluten problem. No you haven't.
And I'm not talking about conspiracy here, just it's not the same if you came from some rich country and small and poor one. It's never the same. To give you one simple example, I was on a competition with national team in fencing. We were in Budapest, and my friend wasn't allowed to participate because he didn't have proper sign on the back of the suit. Anyway after that there were some French dude which had even worse sign. And I saw him fighting on competition without any problem. But that's normal in sport when you came from poor and when you came from rich country. The one was allowed just because he is French and Serb wasn't.

Last edited:

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Madridista you are from macedonia? I always wondered why pandev was on your fav player list. Though it was just terrible taste:o:o:o

Exactly! A 100k crowd, with possibly 100s of women flashing tits @ nole while hes chilling with his loved ones on stage listening to balkan music. Dayum, serbs just know how to party:eek::thumbsup:.

I dont think it has anything to do with self righteousness but more with the situation or standards the country comes with. For example we had a 10k+ crowd after we crashed out of WC to england:fp:. Most people were just glad we made such a huge leap forward in this sport. Same here with djokovic winning. First ever serbian player to win a singles grand slam..........huge brake trough, achievement, something do be genuinely proud of.....for serbs in this era so why no celebrate it? Dont be such a party pooper........unless..........u probably mad. U mad?

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Football is different, there is no comparison. Tennis is NOT a sport that is about national pride. And winning Wimbledon for Djokovic is not a heroic feat by any means to warrant such an extravaganza. Serbia is one of the top tennis nations in the world, they won the Davis cup, which if anything by some logic is an achievement that should indeed be celebrated on a national level far more than an individual winning Wimbledon. Djokovic was not representing Serbia at Wimbledon!

Also, he already won another grand slam and it was not as if winning Wimbledon was such a shock, as he was the top favorite. The entire celebration was over the top, a show of misplaced patriotism and inferiority complexes. I assume Federer was also the first Swiss to win a grand slam, but they didn't make so much fuss about it.

btw milan07, I know pretty well what its like to be from a small nation. Its much worse for us than it is for you. As for your opening paragraph

Of course you couldn't believe it cause you don't have nothing to be proud of.
national insult. Also, not true by any means, we had success adequate to the country's limited size/capacity.

You represent classic Madrid cunt which only celebrate success brought buy money and fame.
ridiculous stereotype

Classic youth TV pro-american product affected buy commercial and brain washed.
keep believing that propaganda that american capitalists are turning the world against you. :thumbsup:

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Also, he already won another grand slam and it was not as if winning Wimbledon was such a shock.
Have you ever seen him on grass before? He haven't won anything on grass before. He sucked badly. It was a surprise.

national insult. Also, not true by any means, we had success adequate to the country's limited size/capacity.
It's not national insult, it's just the truth. This is national insult.
Anyway I meant you particulary with your Madrid and Rafa cheering.

ridiculous stereotype
You act like that.

keep believing that propaganda that american capitalists are turning the world against you. :thumbsup:
Commercials affect people more than you know. Trust me, I study management and marketing is main case in out faculty.

shimec

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Kaka, Bierhoff, Weah, Savicevic, Boban, Zidane, Raul,
Great, we have small Yugoslavia around here, and same big issues with it.

And, about celebrating, yes it was over the top but people have right to celebrate as they see fit. And if this was done under old Yugoslavian flag, I'm pretty sure that you'd be celebrating as well Madridista.

On topic, for now Serbia leads 2:0 against Sweden in Davis Cup. Winner of this will play against Argentina in semi final. If Serbia wins (and I think it's impossible not to win) it will be played in Belgrade Arena. That will be nice to watch.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Great, we have small Yugoslavia around here, and same big issues with it.

And, about celebrating, yes it was over the top but people have right to celebrate as they see fit. And if this was done under old Yugoslavian flag, I'm pretty sure that you'd be celebrating as well Madridista.

On topic, for now Serbia leads 2:0 against Sweden in Davis Cup. Winner of this will play against Argentina in semi final. If Serbia wins (and I think it's impossible not to win) it will be played in Belgrade Arena. That will be nice to watch.

Than you are through to finals, has any team beaten you guys at home?

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Than you are through to finals, has any team beaten you guys at home?

I don't think so. The atmosfere there is just unbelievable. It has record crowd capacity in basketball Euroleague with 22,567 fans. In semi against Czech republic there were around 18 000 fans. In final it was less.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As it should be for any Davis Cup tie, its hostile and none less than when Argentina plays at home.

scaled.php

What the heck is he doing to its tail :D He looks a lil skinny though now:(

Saber Rider

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
@Dinar

I saw Marat in Belgrade. He's often here. Don't know why, but people see him every two-three months. He was present at Davis Cup semifinals and finals last year.:)

@Madridista

You're right. It was overreacting, but that celebration was made for Novak. He didn't make it for himself.

@milan07

Don't attack people on national basis. We're all humans.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players

I said before, if a Macedonian even won Wimbledon, I'd stay home. It just doesn't seem like the right thing to do in tennis.

btw exactly 10 years ago Ivanisevic won Wimbledon and there was also a huge love parade, even though that was indeed somewhat of a heroic feat, as he went in the tournament in the twilight of his career and with a wild card. For Djokovic something like that should be normal. I mean even as a No.3, this guy was much better than No.1s like Roddick, Hewitt, Safin etc. Same goes for Murray imo.

Schedule