The Red & Black Forums - View Single Post - African Football
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 01:18   #9
GreatKalu
I still believe!

Well I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than bigger bro Tolo ... but then, I'm quite the Tolo fan Also, he's a defensive midfielder so it's hard to compare the two. I saw a few of his games while he was at Olimpiakos in last season's UCL, where he was equally impressive. He also looked good during ACN 2006 in Egypt ... though, it must be said, the linchpin in the Ivorian midfield is Zokora of Spurs. Haven't seen Yaya this season.

Do you really want me to shed some light on the Zambian Premier League? Well, it's hardly competitive nowadays with Zanaco (Zambia National Commercial Bank) picking trophy after trophy. The recent trend has seen bigger clubs from the South African PSL and, to a lesser extent, Namibia, pick up most Zambian players. Zanaco, on the other hand, aren't short of funds in a league which is short of sponsorship, and hence, have the advantage.

In earlier years when Zambia was a huge African Footballing force, the then thriving copper mines sponsored top teams such as Mufulira Wanderers (where Kalusha Bwalya was developed) and Nkana Red Devils who recently relegated for the first time in their + ZPL's history - they've won the tittle the most. In the 1974 (?) ACN final, most players from both teams (Zambia and then Zaire) played in the ZPL.

Nowadays, we've resorted to finding bigger European teams to support in addition to our heart breakers as damage management caused by Zanaco. Some still seem keen on being disappointed with West Ham United a popular outfit in my neighborhood. But EPL's relatively big because it's covered by our media unfortunately much more than our very own Premier League.

Signature
SEVEN
GreatKalu is offline   Reply With Quote