Week 10 : Chievo vs Milan - 25/10/2017 - 20:45 CET

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
I fear another defeat coming up here. If we are lucky a bore draw may be possible.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I hope Montella is kicked out regardless of the result.

Every match we keep him on for, the greater the chance for dropped points.

Even if we hire someone who loses matches, it'll be a different.

Normally it's difficult to play on the Chievo sandpit so we'll have to see, especially with us being lightweight, lethargic and generally shit.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Pirsa 2x freekicks
Cerci cut inside goal
Pazzini penalty

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Capitano ples

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this scenario was foreseen by management, and anyone else who doesn't think a newly assembled team could play good football after 3 months. They need to learn to play together which takes time.

What's worrying is that our competitors for CL are showing good form. But the season is long and many things can happen.

I don't think the management foresaw being 9 points off of 4th.

In fact, Fassone said that Milan is about 5-6 points behind schedule. I think they maybe anticipated a draw/loss against the likes of Lazio and Inter, but certainly not the shitshow we have seen lately.

Also, we shouldn't forget our method during the summer. Montella was given the bulk of this team early. He has failed to fashion a coherent team; he has also failed to understand what formation works best. I still hope he finds a solution because the names being circulated don't entirely convince me (Sousa and Mazzarri are OK). If Montella doesn't get at least 4 points from the next 2 games, he absolutely has to go. A shame. He is a likable guy, but he can appear flippant in post-match conferences, almost cavalier. Maybe it's a defence mechanism. Speaking of which, our defence is the most depressing part for me. We can't even count on coordination, understanding, let alone impenetrability.

It's a terrible situation. It's a crisis when you consider what CL football means to the fans and finances of this club.

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
So, if Montella drops another 2 points, he should go.

And if he does manage to beat Chievo and draw to Juventus, then he'll need 6 from the next, until he draws one, and then 6 from the ones after that.

It is terminal. He has to go. Every moment where we don't have a replacement in place of him is lost time.

I have absolutely no faith in us winning any match at this point.

I genuinely believe we'd struggle to beat Piacenza or Treviso.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I don't think the management foresaw being 9 points off of 4th.

In fact, Fassone said that Milan is about 5-6 points behind schedule. I think they maybe anticipated a draw/loss against the likes of Lazio and Inter, but certainly not the shitshow we have seen lately.

Maybe I used the wrong word.

I don't mean that they counted on this scenario to happen, but that it was one possible scenarios. You don't go and buy 11 new players and think everything will go smoothly. You hope for it, but you don't expect it to happen.

Also, we shouldn't forget our method during the summer. Montella was given the bulk of this team early. He has failed to fashion a coherent team; he has also failed to understand what formation works best. I still hope he finds a solution because the names being circulated don't entirely convince me (Sousa and Mazzarri are OK). If Montella doesn't get at least 4 points from the next 2 games, he absolutely has to go. A shame. He is a likable guy, but he can appear flippant in post-match conferences, almost cavalier. Maybe it's a defence mechanism. Speaking of which, our defence is the most depressing part for me. We can't even count on coordination, understanding, let alone impenetrability.

It's a terrible situation. It's a crisis when you consider what CL football means to the fans and finances of this club.
IIRC, he got Kessie, Musa, Borini and Hakan early. Doesn't matter anyway, time's to short to expect a coherent team. I don't want to defend Montella to much either, of course he could have done much better than this. If he would, he'd have proven himself as a great coach. IMO he should have chosen a more cynical and humble approach for the team on the field, until the team gels.

I don't like the "fire the coach"-mentality.

I genuinely believe we'd struggle to beat Piacenza or Treviso.

Check brain for damage.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Allegri? Sarri is top but Allegri would be #2.
Sarri is a difficult coach to outsmart, Allegri is not.

If Allegri does not have the most talented team on the pitch, he is almost always going to lose. It was that way at Milan, and it appears to be that way at Juventus.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

Allegri has taken Juventus to two CL finals.

bluenine

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
So, if Montella drops another 2 points, he should go.

IMO sacking the coach during a season is usually a crazy decision, even if Montella is doing poorly so far. The only time it makes sense is if you have a coach available who is good enough for long term. For Milan's ambitions, that would mean a world class coach. I don't see any available. Its much better to wait until one is, even if you have taken a decision on Montella's fate.

tuccero9

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
it is a tricky situation without a doubt.
in my opinion I do not see how montella is going to turn this around. at the end of October he is looking more lost than he was in his first matches of the season.
the team does not know what to do in the pitch.
sure it is not easy to make 11 new players work as a team and for this reason I didn't expect great things performance-wise till October.
but it is not the results that hurt more. it is the way we are dropping points.
for what I see, montella is trying to "force" a 3man defence in the team because of bonucci mainly but he does not know how to build play in such formation.
on the other hand since carletto stated that he wont coach another team until summer I do not see a top coach to take the helm.
it is a very difficult situation now and I hope the management will take the right decision

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO sacking the coach during a season is usually a crazy decision, even if Montella is doing poorly so far. The only time it makes sense is if you have a coach available who is good enough for long term. For Milan's ambitions, that would mean a world class coach. I don't see any available. Its much better to wait until one is, even if you have taken a decision on Montella's fate.

pellegrini could be available, only a few are arguably better than him in serie A.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Time to try the back to basics 442 here with the RB being more attacking than the left back if we want to create a 3 man defense in game.

Fusiproe12

Stadio Grande Silvio Berlusconi Milano
Reaction score
Against Genoa we did well with 10 men for 70 minutes, playing without Bonushi and with a normal 4-3-3 (Citroen CF) a victory could arrive, I am truly optimistic for this game. Forzissima :proud:

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
We did play better with 10 men tho:lol: we just missed deulofeou and pasalic

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
If Allegri does not have the most talented team on the pitch, he is almost always going to lose. It was that way at Milan, and it appears to be that way at Juventus.

It's so clear to me that this is the case. It was the case at Milan where he won with the most talented team in Italy, while squandering Dinho....and then the minute Silva got injured (again in a meaningless match, a mis-hap that could have been prevented) we lost to JuBe.

Nobody expected him to beat Barca either time because Barca was simply more talented.

However, this team is decidedly underperforming and while I wouldn't have expected shit from Shitelegr! vs Inter or Roma....we'd have given Lazio a fight and certainly not lost against Sampdoria.

pellegrini could be available, only a few are arguably better than him in serie A.

:thumbsup:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Sarri is an artist and a purist's dream, but yet to prove his worth at the biggest stages. #2 after Allegri.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I agree with this. Stick with Montella until at least the new year, then get wingers and play 433, 343, which are the only two formations that get the best out of Suso who is by far our best player.

I don't think Montella will revert back to vanilla 433 for this one. I still think he'll go for the 34X/43X hybrid. I don't have an explanation for this, it's just a gut feeling that he'll regret it if he goes 433 and not play well and get fired. If I was him i'd stick with my plan and at least go out with fewer regrets.

In defense

In possession

The idea here is that Borini would be far left and Calabria far right, stretching their narrow defense. Hakan would stay inside left, and Suso inside right, where they're most dangerous. Kessie and Biglia stay central to help shuffle the ball and intercept second balls. A back three keeps a man spare against their front two.

Again, i'd be very surprised (and frankly disappointed) if Montella doesn't play like this tomorrow.

Edit: This formation and strategy is sort of what I expected from Montella all season, especially considering the tweaks he did at the end of last season, with Conti being perfect for the RB/RW role. It really was a blow when he got injured. But this is the strategy Montella wants and I hope to see it click before he gets sacked.

Last edited:

Legio IV GrintaBoyz

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with this. Stick with Montella until at least the new year, then get wingers and play 433, 343, which are the only two formations that get the best out of Suso who is by far our best player.

Agreed, but he should play with 4 at the back starting tomorrow. 5 at the back is a formation he simply isn't good at and which he is being forced to play because of Bonucci. Also, it would be silly to work hard on a formation for the entire first half of the season and then just dump it and start all over again on a new formation in the second half.

Again, i'd be very surprised (and frankly disappointed) if Montella doesn't play like this tomorrow.

Fuck that. That's literally just the continuation of everything that's been going wrong so far. Minor tweaks are not going to solve the problem.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
@brk - That's how I expect the team to line up tomorrow as well. Suso will often be wider than Calabria is the only change in the offensive tactic I expect.

And Zapata might play ahead of Musacchio.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@brk - That's how I expect the team to line up tomorrow as well. Suso will often be wider than Calabria is the only change in the offensive tactic I expect.

And Zapata might play ahead of Musacchio.

I'm hoping wishful thinking can make a difference here...

Suso usually receives the ball right at the touchline and cuts inside, but that's when we're transitioning only no? Otherwise Calabria would pretty much hug the line, probably looking to play one twos but often just staying out wide to stretch their fullback. I don't think Suso will stay wide when we're high up, he'll keep drifting around the box looking to get the ball.

The only drawback to this is that Borini or Bonaventura (when he's back) aren't perfect for the left side role. I'd much rather have Rodriguez there since he can cross with his left and not need to cut inside, which is what Hakan will do (leaving room for Rodriguez to overlap). Hopefully when Bonucci is back we'll use Rodriguez higher up on the left and Romagnoli plays the hybrid LB/LCB.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Based on what Montella is saying in the press conference it seems likely that the team will play the way I described. Looking forward to it.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Based on what Montella is saying in the press conference it seems likely that the team will play the way I described. Looking forward to it.

Nope.

On the system of play? I like to alternate systems, however, I can already confirm we will play either in a 3-4-2-1 or in a 3-4-1-2.