Italian Football Thread III

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
He has been trying for several years now. No real buyer interest. I’ll believe it when the sale is actually done.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Added new poll. Who should win the best manager award this season in Serie A?

Gasperini is the bookies' favourites and deservedly so.. Max could make it a hat-trick if he wins. Gattuso is actually among the contenders being discussed, and in some ways it's justified.

Miha is my pick. The way he turned Bologna around into one of the best performing teams in the division was incredible. Not to mention some amazing performances, things like Pulgar who's not even a forward matching Messi and Lewandowski in goals scored since March.

I think Gasperini will win this award easily, but I'd give it to Miha.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Let's hope it goes to penalties and Atalanta beat Nazio.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Miha is my pick. The way he turned Bologna around into one of the best performing teams in the division was incredible. Not to mention some amazing performances, things like Pulgar who's not even a forward matching Messi and Lewandowski in goals scored since March.

I think Gasperini will win this award easily, but I'd give it to Miha.

It's weird. I haven't seen a Serie A team in the relegation zone make such a transformation after a coach change since 2015 when Donadoni replaced Delio Rossi at Bologna.

Looks like the Bologna of the last 4 years have had squads that should be too good for the relegation zone, but if the coach is completely out of his depth then there is nothing to mitigate it.

I think Gasperini deserves it after all.

Miha has great judgment(especially when it comes to player selection), he is tactically sensible and he has the personality to lead a group. This does wonders when you're replacing a coach that didn't have these qualities.
But he hasn't and didn't reach Gasperini's heights. That requires something extra.

This is also why I would rather risk it with an unconventional Gasperini, than a pragmatist.
Miha was pragmatical. So was Montella after he realized he couldn't recreate his Fiorentina team*. Pragmatism can only take you so far. All the top teams of the last years have been helped by mad scientists along the way. Juve(Conte), Napoli(Sarri, Benitez), Roma(Zeman) in Italy.

*Gasp's magic wasn't a one time thing like Montella's. He has managed to do it over and over again at different clubs.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Now Atalanta will definitely destroy Juventus.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It's weird. I haven't seen a Serie A team in the relegation zone make such a transformation after a coach change since 2015 when Donadoni replaced Delio Rossi at Bologna.

Looks like the Bologna of the last 4 years have had squads that should be too good for the relegation zone, but if the coach is completely out of his depth then there is nothing to mitigate it.

Miha has great judgment(especially when it comes to player selection), he is tactically sensible and he has the personality to lead a group. This does wonders when you're replacing a coach that didn't have these qualities.
But he hasn't and didn't reach Gasperini's heights. That requires something extra.

This is also why I would rather risk it with an unconventional Gasperini, than a pragmatist.
Miha was pragmatical. So was Montella after he realized he couldn't recreate his Fiorentina team*. Pragmatism can only take you so far. All the top teams of the last years have been helped by mad scientists along the way. Juve(Conte), Napoli(Sarri, Benitez), Roma(Zeman) in Italy.

*Gasp's magic wasn't a one time thing like Montella's. He has managed to do it over and over again at different clubs.

Yes, I actually agree that Gasp deserves it. His consistency and courage in getting teams to play his kind of football and being repeatedly successful at it, is laudable.

Miha has great judgement indeed. He's still waiting to see if a bigger club would come for him even though he has an automatic extension clause in his Bologna contract if he keeps them in Serie A.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Yes, I actually agree that Gasp deserves it. His consistency and courage in getting teams to play his kind of football and being repeatedly successful at it, is laudable.

Miha has great judgement indeed. He's still waiting to see if a bigger club would come for him even though he has an automatic extension clause in his Bologna contract if he keeps them in Serie A.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I voted Gattuso because he survived the wrath of rnb to stay out the rest of the season. I also did it because I know he'll guide us to top 4 under the tutelage of Lord Borini.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Critical win for Udinese.

Genoa really up against it now. Forza Empoli!

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Ranieri has done some-what a decent job at Roma.

If they don't get Gasp, who do they appoint?

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
pretty decent results for us yesterday, roma dropped points (not that it matters much) but genoa drawing vs cagliari means empoli still have a shot at staying in serie a..they're playing torino today and inter next week..no matter what result they get today they're still in the race in the last round and they're playing merdas..imagine merdas losing today and next week and dropping out of CL spots :lol:

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
as people pointed out, roma draw is bad news in case inter draw today.

We'll win both games and have more point than them. What's the problem?

If we don't win both, we don't deserve the spot and won't get it.

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score

If us, merdas and atalanta end up on same points, we drop to 5th while the other two get cl..

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
If us, merdas and atalanta end up on same points, we drop to 5th while the other two get cl..

I doubt that will happen

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3-1 yes!

Haven’t celebrated so much for a non Milan team this season!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Perfectly said. If we don’t win the last two matches, I really don’t want us to finish top 4.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Empoli staying up is good not just for them but for the whole concept of lower table teams playing technical football in Serie a. I hope they annihilate Inter next week.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Empoli staying up is good not just for them but for the whole concept of lower table teams playing technical football in Serie a. I hope they annihilate Inter next week.

It's crazy how the relegation battle could play out with Empoli winning today. And, 4-1 against Torino no less? Fuck me. Parma also won.

Fiore could actually get relegated right? I mean, if they lose to Genoa and if Empoli beat Inter.

That brings Empoli to 41pts, Genoa and Fiore to 40. Genoa will then have H2H.

Imagine. Montella. Gets. Fiorentina. Relegated.

HAHAHHA!!

Edit: Also, good for us if Inter lose to Empoli and they stay safe (somehow.. if they can win!!) since Inter are away to Napoli today. If that happens - incl. losing to Napoli - and we win both games, we'll be top 4 regardless of Atalanta.

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score
Only thing that'll bring me joy if we fail to achieve 4th place would be seeing Montella smile after they relegate to B.

Schedule