Italian Football Thread III

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou

In 2016 Paratici rejected signing Mbappe because he thought €50 million was too much for a youngster, the next summer they bought Bernardeschi for €40m + bonuses ��

�� **********

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo

In 2016 Paratici rejected signing Mbappe because he thought ?50 million was too much for a youngster, the next summer they bought Bernardeschi for ?40m + bonuses ��

�� **********

Now they will push Bernardeschi on us, just watch. MilanLab will be pleased.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli

In 2016 Paratici rejected signing Mbappe because he thought ?50 million was too much for a youngster, the next summer they bought Bernardeschi for ?40m + bonuses ��

�� **********

Insert appropriate gif reaction.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
Inter is growing solid, like a project should be.

We got top of the table like Chievo once did.. without knowing what has been doing.

I dont like Conte a bit, but he is able to put a team together and take the best of them.. i dont like his style and dont like his tactics, but he for sure makes a team be competitive.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
That's because they have a better team than us.

Do you honestly think we have a better squad than Inter or Juventus?

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Last season I thought I could play better football than our players. We should be grateful for the position we are in. Our team is competitive and every match we are there to win. You cannot expect such a young team to win tournaments instantly.

For this period, Pioli is the man. He deserves a chance at the CL if he can take us that far. When the opportunity arises to hire a better coach we should take it, but that moment is not now.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
how is this even possible they get a point back?

They originally got deducted a point for the not turning up.

I thought that had been re-awarded back when their appeal was successful though.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That's because they have a better team than us.

Do you honestly think we have a better squad than Inter or Juventus?

Im talking about projects Kuja, they have one, we don't.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
How can you even say that?

We have one of the youngest teams in Europe while they have one of the oldest, plus they are on a financial precipice. Alongside those, they have Conte in charge, a man who has stormed out of every single role he has had since Juventus.

Juventus have even less than a project than Inter.

JacksonReality

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
How can you even say that?

We have one of the youngest teams in Europe while they have one of the oldest, plus they are on a financial precipice. Alongside those, they have Conte in charge, a man who has stormed out of every single role he has had since Juventus.

Juventus have even less than a project than Inter.

Young squad doesnt mean having a project. Especially when the avg ages are skewed by rotational players.

Sometimes, having experienced old players like Chiellini as a reliable back up is much better than having to thrown Kalulu into a crucial match. That would damage both the team's performance and the young player's development.

Both Juve and Inter have many great young talents in their starting XI e.g. de Ligt, Chiesa, Barella, Lautaro,... we simply don't have more or better young talents than them.

And if you look at the players will need to be replaced in the near future. Juve have Chiellini and Cuadrado, maybe Ronaldo too. While Inter have Handanovic and Young/Perisic. At the same time, we will have to look for replacements for 2 of our most important players in Ibra and Kjear very soon. Ah, and Dollar, Roma and Hakan's renewals are still on the line too. Would be catastrophic if we lose any of them.

How is our situation any better than Juve and Inter?

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Young squad doesnt mean having a project. Especially when the avg ages are skewed by rotational players.

Sometimes, having experienced old players like Chiellini as a reliable back up is much better than having to thrown Kalulu into a crucial match. That would damage both the team's performance and the young player's development.

Both Juve and Inter have many great young talents in their starting XI e.g. de Ligt, Chiesa, Barella, Lautaro,... we simply don't have more or better young talents than them.

And if you look at the players will need to be replaced in the near future. Juve have Chiellini and Cuadrado, maybe Ronaldo too. While Inter have Handanovic and Young/Perisic. At the same time, we will have to look for replacements for 2 of our most important players in Ibra and Kjear very soon. Ah, and Dollar, Roma and Hakan's renewals are still on the line too. Would be catastrophic if we lose any of them.

How is our situation any better than Juve and Inter?

Really dumb post. You mentioned like five combined talents for Juve and inter while failing to mention milan having any other than ?rotational players? like Kalulu. Calabria, theo, Tomori, bennacer, kessie, leao. Several others probably below that talent level but still have already proven to be very capable of contributing already. I wasn?t even mentioning the players you pointed out who could be lost due to non renewal, but that only adds to our talent level.

Inter has no doubt had a fortunate season. Winning the league is winning the league, which is what their team was built to do. They are in win now mode and they know it. A lot of us so called Milan fans can?t remember past 3 games but Milan has lead serie a for over half the season. Yes, it doesn?t matter at the end of the season and everyone knows that, but it shows what this team is capable of when they?re close to fit and playing with continuity. We played more games this season than inter and in general just had key players out every week for so long, they were always going to overtake us at that rate.

Juve has more young talents than inter and more to work with, they can salvage a good team in there but they need fixing in the midfield and they need to find a way to depend less on Ronaldo, which is difficult as long as he?s there. And of course pirlo is a big question mark, which is an advantage for Milan and inter. Conte will leave inter when he realizes their future isn?t long lasting, he?s already started to hint at signs of this.

JacksonReality

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Really dumb post. You mentioned like five combined talents for Juve and inter while failing to mention milan having any other than ?rotational players? like Kalulu. Calabria, theo, Tomori, bennacer, kessie, leao. Several others probably below that talent level but still have already proven to be very capable of contributing already. I wasn?t even mentioning the players you pointed out who could be lost due to non renewal, but that only adds to our talent level.

Inter has no doubt had a fortunate season. Winning the league is winning the league, which is what their team was built to do. They are in win now mode and they know it. A lot of us so called Milan fans can?t remember past 3 games but Milan has lead serie a for over half the season. Yes, it doesn?t matter at the end of the season and everyone knows that, but it shows what this team is capable of when they?re close to fit and playing with continuity. We played more games this season than inter and in general just had key players out every week for so long, they were always going to overtake us at that rate.

Juve has more young talents than inter and more to work with, they can salvage a good team in there but they need fixing in the midfield and they need to find a way to depend less on Ronaldo, which is difficult as long as he?s there. And of course pirlo is a big question mark, which is an advantage for Milan and inter. Conte will leave inter when he realizes their future isn?t long lasting, he?s already started to hint at signs of this.

Work on your reading comprehension mate.

I said we DON'T have MORE young talents than them, didn't say we don't have some.

Even when we do have talents, are we doing a good job developing them? I'm inclined to say NO. Roma, Dollar, Leao and Kalulu, just to give some examples, some that we aren't developing well.

If you want to throw every U25 players we have here, then they also have Kulusevski, Demiral, Hakimi, Bastoni. I'm only counting players who are getting significant minutes and not Kalulu's minutes. Friendly reminder too: we don't even own Tomori yet, so don't count your eggs.

Lastly, in the near future, we will need to replace Ibra and Kjear, two of our best performers. That's not less than the old players Inter and Juve are looking to replace.

Last edited:

JacksonReality

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
And btw, can anyone help calculate our average age after this season when the Dollar brothers leave for free to juve and we buy Perin to replace them?

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team

I said we DON'T have MORE young talents than them, didn't say we don't have some.

Even when we do have talents, are we doing a good job developing them? I'm inclined to say NO. Roma, Dollar, Leao and Kalulu, just to give some examples, some that we aren't developing well.

If you want to throw every U25 players we have here, then they also have Kulusevski, Demiral, Hakimi, Bastoni. I'm only counting players who are getting significant minutes and not Kalulu's minutes. Friendly reminder too: we don't even own Tomori yet, so don't count your eggs.

Lastly, in the near future, we will need to replace Ibra and Kjear, two of our best performers. That's not less than the old players Inter and Juve are looking to replace.

How else could we be developing Dolla?

He plays literally every single game. The only other thing we could do is play him somewhere else.

JacksonReality

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
How else could we be developing Dolla?

He plays literally every single game. The only other thing we could do is play him somewhere else.

Youth development is not limited to giving playing time.

It's also about giving quality coaching, providing stable environment, protecting from bad influences, etc...

And we didn't do well in these regards. He was thrown into the fray too young, and forced to play through bad patches of form, we didn't/couldn't protect him.

He didn't have a stable environment and coaching, we changed coaches way too often with these coaches usually had conflicted philosophy too. I attribute his decision making errors to this.

We also didn't protect him from bad influences. The way we managed his initial contract was horrible. Instead of being proactive, we let his contract slide until it almost expired and inevitably got fucked by Raiola. The same thing is happening again. It's very hard to focus when your contract situation is regularly talked about on the paper and fans abuse you on social media.

I know we were in shitty situation and probably couldn't do much better anyway. But the truth remains that we are still far from 'having a project'

Last edited:

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Still though, we do have more talents than them, that?s implied.

Even the players you named, how are we not developing them well? Gigio was the most hyped goalkeeper talent in forever, started at 16 and Milan has allowed him to continue on his path and become a world class player, he is paid as such and his next contract will show that even more. Romagnoli has had some struggles here this season but he went from a highly rated prospect to captain of the team and a big part of the team on our incredible winning run. Leao? Far better stats this season, has performed in several big games and stepped up when others were injured, some of his goals and assists definitely won the team points. He has no doubt taken a step forward this season regardless of his recent form. Kalulu went from a youth team player in his rookie season to being able to step in at multiple positions and sufficiently cover injured players.

Every single one of them is growing and moving forward. Those are only the players you named, I could do this for a lot more of our team. Juve has more to work with than inter in terms of the future I think, but like I said, Ronaldo and pirlo are holding them back. Most inter fans would tell you their outlook for future seasons isn?t too great.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Youth development is not limited to giving playing time.

It's also about giving quality coaching, providing stable environment, protecting from bad influences, etc...

And we didn't do well in these regards. He was thrown into the fray too young, and forced to play through bad patches of form, we didn't/couldn't protect him.

He didn't have a stable environment and coaching, we changed coaches way too often with these coaches usually had conflicted philosophy too. I attribute his decision making errors to this.

We also didn't protect him from bad influences. The way we managed his initial contract was horrible. Instead of being proactive, we let his contract slide until it almost expired and inevitably got fucked by Raiola. The same thing is happening again. It's very hard to focus when your contract situation is regularly talked about on the paper and fans abuse you on social media.

I know we were in shitty situation and probably couldn't do much better anyway. But the truth remains that we are still far from 'having a project'

If he wasn't thrown into the fray, there is an entire argument that he wouldn't be a factor or anywhere close to now.

I can agree that we changed coaches and the club situation was less than perfect, but in the end it would boil down to whether you like them. For example, a manager you don't like bringing through a youngster will mean you don't think they've done a good job.

You have a fair point - I just don't necessarily agree to it.

We've at least professed to going for young players with some experience added on top. Inter and Juventus have done nothing similar to this, just have implicitly swollen their squads and wage bills.

If Inter say nothing but spend a huge amount winning a title, why do they have a project if they've bought some Italian talents?

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
All of them are growing and moving forward? Are ours not?

I think this is different goalposts here. When we were top did we have a project? Did Inter? Why or why not?

We are buying young and some experienced players. Why does Inter signing Godin mean they have a project and Kjaer doesn't? Why does Ibra mean we don't but Ronaldo means Juventus do?

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Lord of all creation... please have Atalanta drop points today

bluenine

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

Good points, mate - I agree with you. Sometimes fans give too much importance to average age of the squad and how many kids with future potential a club has. For top ambitious clubs like Inter and Milan, the good project requires an optimal mix of ages where quality is far more important than average age.

Inter have a good project, a decent mix of experience and quality. In fact I would say the squad still lacks a bit of depth in quality, that is the issue and not the average age. The treble winning Inter was an old squad - this current squad is well balanced w.r.t. age. Inter now have perhaps 13-14 players of decent quality in the squad. For me, any player under 26-27 is a "young" player who can give the club 5+ years of service - these days you cannot expect more from a player of any age. So the way I look at the Inter squad is:

U27: Bastoni, Skriniar, Barella, Sensi, Hakimi, Martinez
27 to 30: De Vrij, Brozovic, Eriksen, Lukaku
30+: Handanovic, Vidal, Perisic, Sanchez

The remaining players and their ages don't really matter, they are supporting cast and easily replaceable. Who cares if Pinamonti or Radu are young or if D'Ambrosio or Gagliardini are not - its very unlikely they are ever going to be key.

I like the youth-experience balance in the above squad. That is close to ideal for a top club. Every summer Inter can add a couple of quality young players (U27) and keep growing as a squad. Assuming the financial situation goes back to normal, this summer Inter could get rid of some useless/ageing players from the "supporting cast" (eg: Young, Kolarov, Vecino) and get in some decent quality U27 players (eg: Gosens, Milenkovic, Locatelli) and the squad goes up a level. IMO Inter are perhaps a year or two ahead of Milan in terms of rebuilding.

Last edited:

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Good points, mate - I agree with you. Sometimes fans give too much importance to average age of the squad and how many kids with future potential a club has. For top ambitious clubs like Inter and Milan, the good project requires an optimal mix of ages where quality is far more important than average age.

Inter have a good project, a decent mix of experience and quality. In fact I would say the squad still lacks a bit of depth in quality, that is the issue and not the average age. The treble winning Inter was an old squad - this current squad is well balanced w.r.t. age. Inter now have perhaps 13-14 players of decent quality in the squad. For me, any player under 26-27 is a "young" player who can give the club 5+ years of service - these days you cannot expect more from a player of any age. So the way I look at the Inter squad is:

U27: Bastoni, Skriniar, Barella, Sensi, Hakimi, Martinez
27 to 30: De Vrij, Brozovic, Eriksen, Lukaku
30+: Handanovic, Vidal, Perisic, Sanchez

The remaining players and their ages don't really matter, they are supporting cast and easily replaceable. Who cares if Pinamonti or Radu are young or if D'Ambrosio or Gagliardini are not - its very unlikely they are ever going to be key.

I like the youth-experience balance in the above squad. That is close to ideal for a top club. Every summer Inter can add a couple of quality young players (U27) and keep growing as a squad. Assuming the financial situation goes back to normal, this summer Inter could get rid of some useless/ageing players from the "supporting cast" (eg: Young, Kolarov, Vecino) and get in some decent quality U27 players (eg: Gosens, Milenkovic, Locatelli) and the squad goes up a level. IMO Inter are perhaps a year or two ahead of Milan in terms of rebuilding.

Disagree with almost all points

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players
SSKJDGfljhadpgoiaw[orgnvi]0NRWG]09I2JN4FGI0[NRWGI[NV[OI!!!!

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hold this scoreline you motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
Dammit.... all the teams in the top 6 won last night

Schedule