Milan's History Thread

Milanista_MP3

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
PAOLO, MALDINI, PAOLO MALDINI, MALDINI, PAOLO, # 3, KAKA (GOD IS FAITHFUL), INZAGHI (GOAL MACHINE)
Remembering The Euphoria!

I just wanted to say to all of you that this time last year, this day the day before the Final do you remember what euphoria we were in?!!!

Oh my, every day SERIOUSLY since the semifinal win, like 20 days, was absolute heaven! I was really so happy every day, smiling from ear to ear! Sometimes I would get slight nervous like oh my gosh, they actually have to score and win, but in my gut, maybe in all our guts we KNEW they would win! It was a final unlike any other, as in it was known this is Milan's year! It was as if the sole reason Liverpool got to the Final was so Milan could beat them.
I always love Sir Alex Ferguson's comment : " AC Milan will win the Champions League Final, I am absolutely certain of it." He saw and felt that very special thing happening to Milan when he played them in San Siro, and knew their name was on it!

All this excitment and this was before the Final even began! I can't even start to mention when the goal was made! We screamed a scream that I think was unhuman! And then the second goal! And then counting down the remaining minutes, I think from 89min after kuyt made a goal. Then The final whistle, then all the celebration, then Paolo Maldini, The Captain, The Legendary No. 3 Lifting the Trophy, then all the more celebration, whoa! It was so much, too much, overflowing to the brim Joy to take in!

So in this moment, regardless of the current situation, I just am so thankful for every single moment that I lived in that bubble!
I am so thankful for every news clip, every article, all the talk was about our team and our players! What glorious days it was indeed, I am thankful to God, and to the players for giving us that joy.

We were in 7th Heaven with our 7th UCL Trophy in 2007!!!!!!!!!!!
It was truly magical!

I hope many more are to come, with the Scudetto, Uefa Cup and Coppa Italia next year FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me share!

Last edited:

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Boban1982 said:
The 1994 Final was the best i have ever seen. We completely destroyed them. Served that twit Cruyff right.

Forza Milan

I always wonder what would happen if the 1994 team would play against the current AC Milan team of 2008...

Maybe our golden team of 1994 would not be able to cope with current circumstances. Some say the speed of the game has increased considerably since 1994. I think this is because the game has become more physical today. There is less time for dribbling and controlling balls because the opponent is hunting for the ball more aggressively than 15 years ago. Also some say the stamina of today's players is greater than in the past.

On the other hand: When I watched the 1993 CL (Milan-Marseille) over again on youtube I was really amazed by the speed of the game. And besides it is just hard to believe that our current team of 2008 would beat the team with legends like Baresi, Tassotti, Maldini, Desailly and Savicevic.

But unfortunately we'll never know...

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Arrigo Sacchi.

The Sacchi Legacy
By: Gianfranco | July 5th, 2008

The summer gives us a chance to do things that during the regular season are impossible because of the constant musings and buzz surrounding the Serie A. So with news being slow I want to do something that I have wanted to do for quite awhile, but really have not had the chance or time to sit down and get it right, but alas here it is.

Arrigo Sacchi does not get anywhere near the amount of credit and respect that he deserves in the football world, but more importantly many people do not even know how influential he has been to Calcio as well as global football as a whole. The Rossoneri are currently a little over ten years that Arrigo last stood on the sidelines, but his legacy will linger for many years to come as I hope to show in this post.

Sacchi was arguably the most successful manager at Milan, winning scudetti, CL trophies, and kicked off Milan’s famed 55 game unbeaten streak. Believe it or not those records do not even say all that much when you think about the changes he brought to Calcio, including the reinvention of the wingback, the use of a sweeper/stopper, and the impenetrable defenses of Milan of the early nineties. Sacchi was also the leader of the greatest club team ever assembled in 1989-1990 (voted by many media outlets, including UEFA) with the likes of the flying Dutchman, Maldini, Baresi, and host of other players who have gone on to superb careers.

Sacchi’s only blemish on his resume was his inability to win the big game in 1994 when he led the Italian national team to the final of the World Cup. We all remember how that game went, but he lost with his best gun, Roberto Baggio, on the spot, for what was an excellent tournament for Italy. He went in and out of coaching after that loss, sat on the Milan bench once again, served on the board of Real Madrid, but none of this can shake his career which is cemented in the legacy he has created.

In American Football you constantly hear commentators discuss how coaches are spawned and taught by other coaches who create family trees throughout the sport. Well Sacchi is soccer’s answer to someone like Bill Walsh or Bill Parcells. If you look at his Milan roster you can’t help but notice how many players have gone to become successful coaches in their own right.

His first and most prominent pupil is Fabio Cappello who now roams the bench of the English National Team. Cappello is no slouch himself as he coached the back end of Milan’s unbeaten run and led them to even more trophies and scudetti in his years in charge. He also led Roma, Juventus (titles revoked), and Real Madrid to success on the domestic fronts as well. The crowning jewel of Cappello is that he now leads a country who has constantly criticized the Italian game and they are now playing it. Pure irony.

The Don is also a pupil of Sacchi and unlike his mentor could not replicate success on the international stage. His tenure was strong, but not strong enough, with an early exit from Euro 08 and unable to “fulfill” his contractual obligation to the FIGC was relieved of his duties. But if he is anything like he is mentor he will be back on the sideline in no time.

Another pupil who has gained prominence on the International front is a member of the flying dutchmen Marco Van Basten who led the Orange of Holland to the quarters of WC06 and Euro 08 where he led the Dutch some of the most exciting fast paced football I have ever seen. Problem with tearing through the group stages like the Dutch did, it leaves you no room for error in the knockouts, and when Russia came at them in the Dutch style, Van Basten had no answer. With that endeavor finished Van Basten will embark on a new challenge at the helm of Ajax with the idea of returning the club to greatness, and back alongside of AC Milan as one of their fiercest rivals and partner clubs.

nice article from blog http://acmilan.theoffside.com/oddities/the-sacchi-legacy.html#more-388
The other two members of the famous dutch trio have also tasted a large amount of success with Frank Rijkaard winning La Liga and the CL title with Barcelona and was touted as putting together some of the most beautiful football ever played in Europe while in charge of Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto, and the rest of the Barca players.

Ruud Gullit moved onto to Chelsea and Newcastle, but is now roaming the sidelines of MLS with the LA Galaxy. Gullit, granted is playing with a stacked deck, with the likes of Beckham, Ruiz, and Donovan, and success seems almost imminent as that team begins to learn his style and system in the American game.

Back to the boot now and the current Milan sideline where both Carletto and Tassotti roam, and have led Milan to two CL titles and one scudetto and hopefully many more during their reign in the future. Carletto has rekindled the strong Italian base at Milan that was created by Sacchi and you can only hope to think the likes of Paolo, Cafu, Costacurta, and even Kaka will someday go on to be coaches and the trickle down effect of Arrigo Sacchi will continue for years to come.

Just when you thought the Sacchi family tree was done, there are still more. I still need to point out Albertini who is in the upper echelons of the FIGC, Italy’s governing body of Calcio, and lastly who can forget the legend Franco Baresi, who runs teams in Milan’s youth program, the primavera. We also must consider some of this Azzurri boys coaching like Casiraghi, Zola, and Vialli as well. As you can see the list is almost exhaustive, but you can continue to link players to Sacchi time and time again. It is hard to find success at Milan, or elsewhere that has not been graced by the touch and class of Arrigo Sacchi.

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yeah, credit to him...he also led us to biggest home humiliation against Jube :mad:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
dev1L said:
yeah, credit to him...he also led us to biggest home humiliation against Jube :mad:
1 scudetto, 2 Champions Cup, 2 Intercontinental Cup, 2 European Super Cup and touted as being the Dream Team. All those achievements and yet you pick that 6-1 loss vs Juve to comment.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
thanks gazzika i forgot about this thread :)

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
MilanMarkus said:
I always wonder what would happen if the 1994 team would play against the current AC Milan team of 2008...

Maybe our golden team of 1994 would not be able to cope with current circumstances. Some say the speed of the game has increased considerably since 1994. I think this is because the game has become more physical today. There is less time for dribbling and controlling balls because the opponent is hunting for the ball more aggressively than 15 years ago. Also some say the stamina of today's players is greater than in the past.

On the other hand: When I watched the 1993 CL (Milan-Marseille) over again on youtube I was really amazed by the speed of the game. And besides it is just hard to believe that our current team of 2008 would beat the team with legends like Baresi, Tassotti, Maldini, Desailly and Savicevic.

But unfortunately we'll never know...
Interesting. Let me try

Players. I only state those playing regularly

1993/1994 Team :
GK : Rossi
Defenders : Tasotti, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Panucci, Galli, Nava
Midfield : Desailly, Savicevic, Donadoni, Eranio, Boban, Albertini, Evani
Forward : Simone, Massaro, Papin, Raduciou

2007/2008 Team
GK : Dida, Kalac
Defenders : Oddo, Cafu, Nesta, Kaladzhe, Maldini, Favalli, Bonera, Jankulovski
Midfield : Pirlo, Brocchi, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Gourcuff, Emerson, Kaka
Forward : Pato, Inzaghi, Gilardino

GK dept : Rossi is better than Kalac/Dida. Rossi is not spectacular ala Buffon or even Pagliuca at that time, but he didn’t make errors that cost the team points. He also benefited from the fact that he had really good players playing in front of him.

Defenders : This is the real difference. 94 team only allowed 0.44 goal/game (the best in 20 years) while 08 team let in an average of exactly 1 goal/game. 94 team still had the legendary back line of Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta and Tasotti/Panucci. 94 team is better but mainly due to both the old age of the 08 team and lack of quality sub. 94 season was the real effective of Tasotti and Filippo Galli (probably one of the best back up defender that Milan ever had) but they both played in that historic CL 94 final and kept the likes of Romario and Stoichkov at bay. Panucci was Tasotti’s back up and he didn’t disappoint and he can also score goals (in Milan and Italy NT), something that both Oddo and Cafu somehow lacked this year.

Midfield : somehow balanced although IMO the 94 team has the edge. Albertini is equal to Pirlo (in passing, controlling the game and freekick) although Pirlo’s pass is a lot better. In Defensive Midfield IMO Desailly is better than the combination of Gattuso, Ambrosini, Emerson and Brocchi. While Seedorf is at par with Boban, it’s the presence of Donadoni in the 94 team that tipped the scale because 08 team didn’t have that kind of super versatlie winger. Kaka is a lot faster and better in dribble than Savicevic although the latter can really conjure up some unexpected magic when needed. Another factor that made Kaka better is his scoring record. He has 15 league goal in 08 and Savicevic had 0 although the latter scored 2-3 in CL (including that lob vs Barca)

Forward : there were 4 more games in 08 so although the 08 team had better tally with 27 goals (38 goals) while 94 team forwards chalked up 21 goals (34 goals); this can’t really become the parameter. 08 team even had better goal scored/game ratio with 1.74 while 94 team only had 1.06. So number and statistic wise, 08 team is better.

Other : National Team call up. Tasotti, Baresi, Costacurta, Maldini, Donadoni, Albertini, Evani and Massaro were selected to Italy NT squad in WC 94 and all were key players. Raduciou also made it to USA and scored a goal. (I guess from that team only Evani didn’t to start a game). While the likes of Boban, Desailly, Savicevic and Papin were main players in the countries’ respective NT. 08 team can only boast Jankulovski and Kaladzhe as NT team players and last Euro 08 only saw Jankulovski making an appearance. True that Kaka and Pato are regulars and Seedorf refused to compromise but the number simply pointed out to 94 superiority.

Other : medals won. No need to argue. 94 won hands down. They got the scudetto and CL that year.

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
1 scudetto, 2 Champions Cup, 2 Intercontinental Cup, 2 European Super Cup and touted as being the Dream Team. All those achievements and yet you pick that 6-1 loss vs Juve to comment.

didn't mean like that (credit to him)...i know all that but i remembered that game and that kind of pissed me of a little bit ;)

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
Interesting. Let me try

Players. I only state those playing regularly

1993/1994 Team :
GK : Rossi
Defenders : Tasotti, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Panucci, Galli, Nava
Midfield : Desailly, Savicevic, Donadoni, Eranio, Boban, Albertini, Evani
Forward : Simone, Massaro, Papin, Raduciou

2007/2008 Team
GK : Dida, Kalac
Defenders : Oddo, Cafu, Nesta, Kaladzhe, Maldini, Favalli, Bonera, Jankulovski
Midfield : Pirlo, Brocchi, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Gourcuff, Emerson, Kaka
Forward : Pato, Inzaghi, Gilardino

GK dept : Rossi is better than Kalac/Dida. Rossi is not spectacular ala Buffon or even Pagliuca at that time, but he didn’t make errors that cost the team points. He also benefited from the fact that he had really good players playing in front of him.

Defenders : This is the real difference. 94 team only allowed 0.44 goal/game (the best in 20 years) while 08 team let in an average of exactly 1 goal/game. 94 team still had the legendary back line of Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta and Tasotti/Panucci. 94 team is better but mainly due to both the old age of the 08 team and lack of quality sub. 94 season was the real effective of Tasotti and Filippo Galli (probably one of the best back up defender that Milan ever had) but they both played in that historic CL 94 final and kept the likes of Romario and Stoichkov at bay. Panucci was Tasotti’s back up and he didn’t disappoint and he can also score goals (in Milan and Italy NT), something that both Oddo and Cafu somehow lacked this year.

Midfield : somehow balanced although IMO the 94 team has the edge. Albertini is equal to Pirlo (in passing, controlling the game and freekick) although Pirlo’s pass is a lot better. In Defensive Midfield IMO Desailly is better than the combination of Gattuso, Ambrosini, Emerson and Brocchi. While Seedorf is at par with Boban, it’s the presence of Donadoni in the 94 team that tipped the scale because 08 team didn’t have that kind of super versatlie winger. Kaka is a lot faster and better in dribble than Savicevic although the latter can really conjure up some unexpected magic when needed. Another factor that made Kaka better is his scoring record. He has 15 league goal in 08 and Savicevic had 0 although the latter scored 2-3 in CL (including that lob vs Barca)

Forward : there were 4 more games in 08 so although the 08 team had better tally with 27 goals (38 goals) while 94 team forwards chalked up 21 goals (34 goals); this can’t really become the parameter. 08 team even had better goal scored/game ratio with 1.74 while 94 team only had 1.06. So number and statistic wise, 08 team is better.

Other : National Team call up. Tasotti, Baresi, Costacurta, Maldini, Donadoni, Albertini, Evani and Massaro were selected to Italy NT squad in WC 94 and all were key players. Raduciou also made it to USA and scored a goal. (I guess from that team only Evani didn’t to start a game). While the likes of Boban, Desailly, Savicevic and Papin were main players in the countries’ respective NT. 08 team can only boast Jankulovski and Kaladzhe as NT team players and last Euro 08 only saw Jankulovski making an appearance. True that Kaka and Pato are regulars and Seedorf refused to compromise but the number simply pointed out to 94 superiority.

Other : medals won. No need to argue. 94 won hands down. They got the scudetto and CL that year.
In the 1993/94 season Milan just had such asolid side & where missing Van Basten who had not retired, but obviously had his terrible injury.

Milan had a better side in 1992/93 & had everyone available & probably had the best squad of players in history. Although they somehow lost the final to Marseilles when they totally battered them.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan Legends: Franco Baresi

Milan Legends: Franco Baresi
By: Gianfranco | July 12th, 2008

Last weekend we talked about Sacchi, and Alessio over at Juve did a great piece on Conte. I thought what the hell, why not get a break from the ulcer causing transfer rumors on the weekend and talk about Milan legends. Add your stories and memories, and if you want to take up one of the greats, let me know, and you can send me your piece, and I will gladly post.

In 1976 our Interista cousins were presented with two brothers, both defenders who had a ton of potential, and both were diminutive in stature. Inter chose Guiseppe who went onto to make close to four hundred appearances in the blue and black. Left behind, however was younger brother Franco who moved to the better side of town and joined the Rossoneri.

Baresi cracked the first team in 1977 playing his first game for Milan, and went on to make 532 appearances for the Red and Black. In twenty seasons Baresi averages closed to 25 appearances a year for Milan, playing the role of sweeper, captain and all around general of the back.

Bust like most Milan legends, stats alone don’t tell the real story of the Milan number six. You had to watch him in action to know exactly what made him special. For the past twenty years we have been spoiled with Maldini and his offense runs up the flanks, and his phenomenal tackles at the touch line. With Baresi the runs came right up the gut, and the tackles happened wherever an offense player dared to touch the ball near Milan’s penalty area. What Paolo, perfected with the slide tackle, Baresi did standing up. I remember watching a match in which Hristo Stoichkov came barreling down the pitch, if anyone is familiar with Stoichkov you know that barreling is the perfect analogy, and Baresi so calmly dispossed him that Stoichkov barely even noticed he had parted ways with the ball. That summed up the defensive prowess of the Milan sweeper.

Sweeper is another thing that gets taken for granted when we talk about Baresi. The whole notion of a sweeper is lost with the current setup of four fullbacks, with the two centerbacks holding back as almost dual sweepers. Baresi did this alone staying with the last man but never declined a chance to go forward and get into the attack. I remember when I first started playing this game in an organized fashion and people will talk about the sweeper and its importance, and I couldn’t help but smile knowing that Baresi was the sweeper that every aspiring kid should play like. My father who coached me back then even employed a sweeper, it was not me, but the kid was lights out as we went on our own mini-invincible run.

Success is also word that is synonymous with Franco Baresi. Only Maldini has won more games in the Milan shirt than Franco Baresi, more scudetti , and more trophies. But before Maldini there was only one and that was Baresi. No captain has seen the success that he has seen, not even Paolo, and that just goes to show how special a player, and teammate he really was. Like his mentor and coach Arrigo Sacchi there is one success that eludes the great number six, and that was the World Cup. Baresi, who could barely walk in the final against Brazil, stepped up and missed his PK which ultimately led to the loss to Brazil. I will never forget his tears that day as he handed the armband to Paolo, and effectively ended his career as a member of the Azzuri.

Baresi would give three more years to the Rossoneri, but even that had to come an end. It was a game and a day that I will forever remember. The clip below does not do it justice because of the pure emotion that was involved. But the words of Silvio Berlusconi will ring true for while, “Selling Franco Baresi would be like selling the flag of Milan itself.” Even ol’Berlu shed tears on Baresi’s last day, and with those tears Berlusconi bestowed the ultimate honor that few if any players in soccer ever receive. The number 6 of Baresi was retired at Milan, and still to this day no player on any pitch wearing the number six goes by without getting an extra look from me, wondering if he or she knows the significance of the number that hands on their back.

Baresi started a tradition of one man, one club, one captain, that Milan is fortunate to continue with to this day. For close to 30 years Milan has had the strongest, continuous, and successful stretch of Captaincy that no club has even come close to. It is amazing how fortunate we truly are, you can say whatever you want about Milan, but that is something that no one can take away.

I leave you with this great video; again it doesn’t truly do it justice.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Albertini

We talked about Baresi, who holds a very special place for me in Milan lore. But this man, after Maldini, was my favorite player to ever wear the Milan jersey. I wanted so much to play like Albertini and spent hours attempting to swerve free kicks and shots into any net or wall I had available. I spent hours holding the ball and looking for an imaginary pass to the wing hoping that Donadoni, Savicevic, or Boban would receive the pass in my backyard…

We know all the accolades, trophies, and victories he has tasted but for this legends post I don’t want to focus on that. Albertini meant more to me than just those accolades. For me Albertini is extra special because he was playing a style that only now in this modern era of football gets real PR for what he did and what he was capable of.

It is hard to call a player like Pirlo a modern day Albertini because these guys for me are different. They are once in a lifetime type players, one off in each generation of footballers who do things just a bit different than everybody else. For Albertini the era of midfielders was chock full of wingers and central midfielders who loved to be on the ball and attack their way up the pitch, but that wasn’t Demetrio. Demetrio did it his way, working and winning the ball around the center circle and either spraying the ball to the wings or carrying it to around 30 meters from goal and blasted long range shots on that made even the best goalies cringe.

Beckham, CRon, and all the other great strikers of the dead ball, need not look very far for one of the most underrated players I have ever watched. But another thing that Albertini did, that is a far cry from the players of this era, or even then, was he did everything with humility and a smile. He could have easily whined his way out of Milan when he was no longer in the winning eleven, but instead he left the squad on good graces and ultimately ended his career playing for another legendary club in Barcelona.

His humility was recognized and remembered by Milan, and he was honored much like the heroes before him in the video below, and though he may never go down as one of Milan’s all time greatest players he will in fact always remain a player that a child, much like myself, would do well to emulate and aspire to be like because of the way he went about his business. He may have never won the golden ball, golden boot, or even the player of value in tournaments and so on, but his contribution can’t be denied or forgotten

http://acmilan.theoffside.com/legends/milan-legends-demetrio-albertini.html

Wolfpac4Life

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.Baggio, Van Basten, Maradona
Excellent article. Forza Baresi and Albertini :star:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Something I cooked up over the weekend from various sources. Hope you all like it. Sorry if it's too long :)

Another story about another little-known Milan Legend : Filippo Galli.

In an interview few weeks ago after he announced his retirement after nearly 20 years as Milan Team Manager, Silvano Ramaccioni was asked to name some of the most colorful and craziest players that had passed the Milanello gates. He coughed up few names like Paolo Di Canio (a real mad man), Cosmin Contra (he’s too flashy with all his jewelries), Edgar Davids (a trouble maker in the locker room). As for the current crops of players, Massimo Oddo got the honor. Then he ended with saying “Well, don’t forget Filippo Galli” with a twinkle of an eye.

Wait, Filippo Galli? He doesn’t look the part and never will be. Because so little is known of him as Milan player. Youtube search for some video highlight will be empty handed because this central defender never got that much attention. You ask any ordinary self-respecting Milan fans who are the legendary back line of Milan and his name is very unlikely to be mentioned. You ask who are the sidekick that made up the so-called “Baresi and the untouchables” and his name will never get the nod. But for me he’s a corner stone in the early years of Milan’s all conquering side of late 80s. This is a player who made it to the top 25 of most appearance for Milan and – IMO – should be referrred in the same breath with at least Marco Simone.

When Costacurta retired at the end of 06-07 season, many protested why Milan didn’t retire the number 5 jersey. The answer is simple, because Filippo Gali was another rightful owner of the number. When serie A started assigning names to number in 95-96 season, Galli was the holder of number 5 and Billy only got it Galli left the club.

A native Milan, he was the product of Milan primavera and made his break in season 81-82 from the youth squad. Loaned out to Pescara for one season, he finally made his senior side debut as a 20-year old in season 83-84 in a Copa game vs Arezzo. Although wearing the Stella (red star signifying 10 scudetto won) and had 2 Champions Cup in the tropy cabinet, at that time - and remained unchanged for few more seasons later - Milan is considered a mid-table club (a-la Atalanta or Udinese in recent seasons) and only deemed fit to fight for UEFA Cup spot. Galli partnered Baresi in central defence and made 28 league appearances. Not bad for a first timer and he continued to be the first choice in that position for few more seasons.

Similar to all Milan stories in the last 20+ years, everything changed with the arrival of Arrigo Sacchi. When he started out, he said, “I saw problems, not only big problems. But huge ones. But unfortunately I had a group of players that I can depend on. Players who are wary but not blinkered. Players who will only play their best, give everything they got and not afraid to try everything. Players like Baresi, Donadoni, Ancelotti, Tasotti, Gullit and Galli”. Sacchi saw the importance of Galli and immediately put his trust in him. In season 87-88 (Sacchi’s first), Galli was the only player to play in every single of the 30 league games. He played in every minute of that season except when he was substituted 5 minutes before final whistle in a game vs Ascoli. It wasn’t Baresi the captain nor Gullit the new hero who clocked up the most appearance that season. In the 41 games that Milan played that season, Galli’s name didn’t appear in the team sheet for only once during the UEFA Cup game away vs Espanyol. Show me any Milan players who play in every game but one in the last 10 seasons. I know there are more league games and Champions League games nowadays but starting in 30 league games is still a mean feat.

However, like Pietro Paolo Virdis - another pre-dream team Milan hero –, Galli’s appearance number took a dive after Milan set their eyes in conquering Europe and the world. If Virdis’ downfall was mvBasten, Galli’s was the emergence of young Alessandro Costacurta. Even if Billy wasn’t fit to play and needed to be substituted, Sacchi opted using Walter Bianchi and Roberto Mussi. He only made 10 appearance in the league and 4 in the Champions Cup including the 4-0 4-0 drubbing of Steaua Bucharest in the final when he came on as a 74th minute replacing his once-understudy Costacurta, a formality considering the game was safe and surely won.

The stream of individual successes that beckoned his team mates following Milan success in the early 90s didn’t touch him either. While the likes of Tasotti, Baresi, Costacurta, Maldini, Donadoni, Ancelotti and the Dutch Trio got regular call up up to the national team (even Albertini, Evani and Massaro got it in later years), he was overlooked. I don’t know if he ever got an international call but even if he did, I can’t remember it.

The arrival of Capello didn’t change his luck either as the Don preferred Enzo Gambarro or Stefano Nava whenever the Baresi-Costacurta partnership needed a respite. In Milan’s hattrick scudetto winning seasons of 91/92 – 93/94 he only played in 17 league games combined, mostly as substitutes. But there was one game where he showed the world and Milan fans that he can still give his best when needed.

The game was of course the 94 CL Final vs Barcelona. We all know the story that Baresi and Costacurta were suspended for this crucial game. Awaiting is the fearsome duo of Stoichkov and Romario in attack, not to mention the master tactician in Cruyff. I remember weeks before the game me and my friends were discussing who will be selected in the 4-man defense. The top three option was quite re-assuring : Panucci, Tasotti and Maldini. OK, we thought, Capello had Panucci and Tasotti for either the right back and one half of the central defense and Maldini will naturally play in the left. The question that none of us had any answer was who will occupy the other half of the central defense. We then agreed that Desailly can drop back to defense and maybe Eranio can partner Albertini as the anchor/ball winner.

Come game time and imagine our surprise (I watched the game with my brother) when we saw Filippo Galli there. Eyebrows raised and as we realized that a non-regular who is not even worthy to be called a has-been will be responsible to stop Barca’s waves of attack. We thought Capello must’ve lost his mind and the game will surely be lost. Imagine the partnership of Simic – Bonera occupying the central defense at CL 07 Final or Helveg – Chamot in CL 03. But it turned out that we – and the whole world – was wrong. Not only Milan slaughtered Barca, but the central defense parrnership of Panucci – Galli was perfectly solid. That game proved to be Galli’s real ‘step-out-of-the-shadow’ moment. Capello used him more often in the 94-95 season but time is running out for him.

His last 2 seasons proved to be mere formality as he played in only 8 games in season 95-96 and 96-97 combined. During the transfer window break at the end of 1996, he finally end his Milan adventure when he was sold to Reggiana. He played there for 2 seasons before moving up to Brescia where he played for 4 seasons. He then joined fellow Italian Gianluca Vialli at Watford in season 01-02 and finally hung up his boots in 2004 at the age of 41 after 3 years spell for a Serie C Club Pro Sesto.

At this moment, he is the current under-20 coach of Milan. He ended up where he started more than 25 years ago. Another loyal servant of Milan. Hats off to him.

Statistic with Milan:
Season with Milan : 14 (83-84 until 96-97).
Total Appearance with Milan : 325 games – 4 goals
League: 217 – 3 goals
Copa Italia : 68 – 1 goal
European Tournament : 37 – 0 goal
Other tournament : 3

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan Legends: Sebastiano Rossi
By: Gianfranco | August 9th, 2008

When I look at the current roster and I see Dida and Kalac, I can not help but reminisce to a day when one man stood between the pipes for 240 games in close to 10 seasons. He gave Sacchi and Cappello the comfort to never once stress over the decision of the number one jersey. The funny thing is unless you are a Milan fan, you have a very hard time remembering the man, and that man is Sebastiano Rossi.

What I remember best as a child was the towering stature of this man who even when he stood next to Il Capitano looked like a giant. But he was more than just a tall guy, he had hands that looked enormous and reflexes to match. When I began watching Milan the Rossi era as a starter had yet to begin but as Galli was faded out of net and Rossi was installed, you quickly began to realize why they turned the reins over to this man.

For all the success Rossi experienced in net for AC Milan, and all the trophies he got his hands on, he very rarely gets credit for the success that he experienced. The number one thing you hear time and time again when Rossi is discussed is that he was the most fortunate GK of all time because he played behind arguably one of the best defensive units ever assembled. Couple this flaw, with the fact that Rossi was competing for the Azzuri job with Zenga and Pagliuca, he was one of the most successful goalies to never don the national team strip.

Now if anyone has ever had to stand between the pipes in a soccer match, they will be quick to tell you that no matter how good the defense, heck even if it is as good as the Milan unit was, no defense will keep the other team from shooting for ninety minutes. With that being said Rossi had to be on his toes and prepared for everything, as well as be a back line general for a phenomenal squad. I bet there are very few Rossoneri legends that would not thank Rossi for everything he accomplished.

As if the trophies were not enough to convince us about Rossi’s worth, and there were a few. Rossi was also the man who tended goal during Milan’s 58 game unbeaten streak. He also holds the Serie A record for consecutive clean sheets at 11, which is even more impressive in a league that has hosted the likes of Zoff, Zenga, Pagliuca, Peruzzi, and Buffon.

Rossi never got a heroes send off, even though there are a fair amount of people who argue he would deserve it. But Rossi is not gone or forgotten. He is currently coaching GK’s in the Rossoneri youth system, and on the current Milan roster is the man who displaced this Milan legend, Abbiati.

If any GK is going to move this team forward should it not be the man who replaced a legend?
http://acmilan.theoffside.com/legends/milan-legends-sebastiano-rossi.html

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan Legends: “Billy” Costacurta
By: Gianfranco | August 2nd, 2008

When I started these legend posts I really didn’t anticipate the appreciation for them, and the comments and emails to keep them going. I am going to do my best to use the weekend for legend posts at least during the off-season. As always I want to hear who we should honor next.

The next player to be showcased is not going to rank in the elite players in the history of the game, or even the top defenders, but I will say it is extremely difficult to not rank Alessandro “Billy” Costacurta in the top five Milan defenders of all time, and cement him in his place in Milan folklore. We all know the honors, trophies, and achievements that Billy was able to achieve, but sometimes a player goes beyond those accolades and achieves things with the whole of the team that far outweigh any singular accomplishments, and Costacurta was no exception.

I am not going to sit here and list his honors and achievements, because by know we all know the great teams he was a part of. Most of even know that he played right back for and center right back for some of the most legendary defenses in the history game, but for me Billy goes beyond that. It was 2003 and I was sitting with a friend of mine in college to watch Milan – Juventus for the CL final. As I began describe the Rossoneri to my friend I paused and admired Billy for all that he had accomplished at this age and that even at 37 years old he was playing in a Champions League Final. Maldini is well renowned for his ability to defy the aging process but Costacurta was no slouch himself. Making 458 appearances for Milan and retiring at 41 years old.

What I find even more impressive is that this man was replaced by a legend in his own right, Cafu, and it is only fitting that a player with such a history be replaced by another player with his own legacy. Billy has done it all in the Rossoneri and he did it all in manner that exuded professionalism and character during his whole career. Sure he wasn’t the flashiest player or most dazzling, but when the game counting there was not a more precise defender who did things effortlessly in cooperation with his legendary backline mates.

Billy has recently passed his coaching exams and is assisting the Milan system this season after turning down the coaching job for Pisa. Part of me is glad he did, because like the legends before I would gladly welcome him to roam the sidelines of the Rossoneri when he was ready to take the helm. As you can see, Costacurta went way beyond the 5 CL trophies, seven scudetti, and countless appearances. He was a player, who like the rest of the defense not only represented Milan but transcended into the stuff of legends.

Now if someone can just tell me where the nickname Billy came from?
http://acmilan.theoffside.com/legends/milan-legends-billy-costacurta.html

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan Legends: Don Fabio
By: Gianfranco | July 26th, 2008

I can’t tell you how surprised I was that as I was writing this legends post, Alessio had posted a negative bio of our old friend Fabio Capello. But it just goes to show how one man can have a very different persona for two different sets of fans. Capello did not have the most illustrious playing career for the Rossoneri though he did have 65 appearances in the twilight of his career. Capello became the stuff of legends on the bench.

There is one word that sums up Fabio Cappello for me and for most any Milan fan in the ‘90’s, Invicibles. May 19, 1991 to March 21, 1993 (yes you read that right!) Milan went undefeated including an entire Serie A season in middle. A feat that spanned 58 games and is still yet to be touched to this day.

Five scudetti and one glorious CL trophy top the list of Cappello’s Milan career. But what people forget is that with Milan, Capello truly coached the beautiful game, with the likes of the flying Dutchmen and the airtight defense of Baresi and company. He has been called a boring and defensive coach, but in that time when I truly became a passionate Milan fan I saw many a prolific game with Milan putting many a goal on the likes of Serie A’s finest teams. Scoring teams into submission from Spain to the tip of the boot.

Many players can also thank Don Fabio for their success thanks to their inclusion in these great squads in a very ideal manner. He had a way of putting players into the formation and making it work. Even if his formations where a bit defensive he was blessed with a great attacking group and excelled the careers of last week’s legend Demetrio, and the likes of Boban and Dejan. One man who can thank Capello for all his success is Cristian Panucci who has followed Don Fabio on all his European excursions.

Capello now roams the bench for the English National team where he is trying to lead the three lions to the World Cup, but as a Milan fan I can only hope that one day returns to roam the bench of the Azzuri when that endeavor is done. Before ending up in England however, Capello made stops in Roma (he must be good coach to lead these guys to a scudetto!), Juventus, and Real Madrid where he lead each and every club to domestic success but never again put his hands on old big ears. Though he may have been mired in the Calciopoli scandal, those Juventus teams played hard and smart, but the rest is for the Juventus fans to decide.

I will say that for me there is no better club coach on the planet, and in time he will be able to prove his mettle on the International stage, but lets just hope he succeeds at home instead of abroad.
http://acmilan.theoffside.com/legends/milan-legends-don-fabio.html

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ashish said:
Now if someone can just tell me where the nickname Billy came from?
http://acmilan.theoffside.com/legends/milan-legends-billy-costacurta.html
During one Milan game some years ago, one of the commentator said when he was young Costacurta really loved a certain kind chocolate cookies. The brand name is Billy.

However, some years ago I mentioned that fact, some older member (can't remember who) shot me down :D and said it was because the young Costacurta was supporting a certain basketball team and one his fave player was called Billy. Basically something to do with basketball, can't remember.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gaizka22 said:
During one Milan game some years ago, one of the commentator said when he was young Costacurta really loved a certain kind chocolate cookies. The brand name is Billy.

However, some years ago I mentioned that fact, some older member (can't remember who) shot me down :D and said it was because the young Costacurta was supporting a certain basketball team and one his fave player was called Billy. Basically something to do with basketball, can't remember.
LOL :D
btw nice post about Filippo Galli.i dont know much about milan history since i started supporting milan from 2000(full time from 2005 heart break) and i cant write anything of that quality :)

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ashish said:
LOL :D
btw nice post about Filippo Galli.i dont know much about milan history since i started supporting milan from 2000(full time from 2005 heart break) and i cant write anything of that quality :)
I have only one advantage over others, I'm older, thus starting to follow Milan earlier. That's it. In times, it will proove to be irrelevant since what counts is passion and it knows no boundaries :)

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gaizka22 said:
I have only one advantage over others, I'm older, thus starting to follow Milan earlier. That's it. In times, it will proove to be irrelevant since what counts is passion and it knows no boundaries :)
no gazzika you are dedicated we guys might travel 100 miles more than you bust up with inter fans but we cant put our thoughts to paper like you. so thank god somebody wiser is here and thanks for all the information gazzika have you posted about pre berlu era when we relegated to serie b for some betting scam ?

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ashish said:
Have you posted about pre berlu era when we relegated to serie b for some betting scam ?
No man, never done that before. I couldn't find any data nor article about that era. But the biggest reason is because I wasn't there to live the moment since I only started following Milan in 87/88 season. So I couldn't relate to anything I wrote before that season. It's like claiming yourself the biggest Beatles fans ever but was born in late 70s :D

One small information about pre-Berlusconi era that I found really really interesting: Johann Cruyff was once a Milan player. Milan invited him to take part in some pre-season tournament in season 81/82 (if not mistaken). He ended up seriously injured and had to miss large part of the season (for Feyenoord?). Add to the fact that Milan beat his team Ajax in 69 Champions Cup Final and the team that he coached in 94 CL Final, he must've developed a certain contempt for Milan :D

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gaizka22 said:
No man, never done that before. I couldn't find any data nor article about that era. But the biggest reason is because I wasn't there to live the moment since I only started following Milan in 87/88 season. So I couldn't relate to anything I wrote before that season. It's like claiming yourself the biggest Beatles fans ever but was born in late 70s :D

One small information about pre-Berlusconi era that I found really really interesting: Johann Cruyff was once a Milan player. Milan invited him to take part in some pre-season tournament in season 81/82 (if not mistaken). He ended up seriously injured and had to miss large part of the season (for Feyenoord?). Add to the fact that Milan beat his team Ajax in 69 Champions Cup Final and the team that he coached in 94 CL Final, he must've developed a certain contempt for Milan :D
cryuff was a milan playe :o :conf:
gazzika bye i am going to office

btw offtopic india won a gold medal after a zillion years( first individual medal :D)

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
gaizka22 said:

Guardian (unfortunately no link)
"I have heard two accounts of his nickname," writes David Benner. "The first is that he got it because he is a big fan of old American Western movies. The second is that he is a big fan of Milan's major professional basketball team and always wore their shirt, which was sponsored by a company called Billy. So, basketball or Westerns. No wonder he's coming to play in the MLS next season(fail!) ."

gaizka22 said:
I encourage people not to fly OT but with Cruijff but I'll always remember his 3 quotes(pre and after CL 94 final and Pippo one) + the story of Joe Jordan(narrated by me here but not as juicy as the original)

-----------------------------------

Other than that good input Ashish. For a moment I read like these are Giancarlo pieces :lol:

The Galli article was good too but one point really went out of the tempo with that ode - mentioning C***mot. How can anyone give legendary status to somebody with such allegory.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Jasper said:
Guardian (unfortunately no link)
"I have heard two accounts of his nickname," writes David Benner. "The first is that he got it because he is a big fan of old American Western movies. The second is that he is a big fan of Milan's major professional basketball team and always wore their shirt, which was sponsored by a company called Billy. So, basketball or Westerns. No wonder he's coming to play in the MLS next season(fail!) ."
Aha! Finally the right version. Thanks Jasper.

Jasper said:
The Galli article was good too but one point really went out of the tempo with that ode - mentioning C***mot. How can anyone give legendary status to somebody with such allegory.
LOL... :D that allegory was to give emphasis of how unused and how so not important Galli was. In 02/03 C***mot was bottom of the pecking order after Nesta, Maldini, Costacurta, Laursen and Roque Jnr. So imagine the shock of seeing him play in CL 03 Final :D

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
gaizka22 said:
Roque Jnr. So imagine the shock of seeing him play in CL 03 Final :D

You made a spelling mistake there - it's Rocky Jonur or Rocky Horror Show(where is legendary DonippoRuiShevdini these days?). And I saw Rocky Jonur at CL final I believe. Fortunately he got injured and therefor excluded the virtue of making a blunder when you least expect it.:tongue:

Bonera-Simic would have done just fine ;)

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Mauro tassotti

The forgotten man of the Milan defense was in fact as superb as the rest of his defensive fraternity. We have talked about Franco, Billy, and Paolo, but how can we have forgotten Mauro. Well I haven’t.

The Rossoneri’s fifth most capped player (583 all around appearances) of all time was vice captain to Franco Baresi, and if not for the number six’s huge shadow and persona, Tassotti could have easily become one of the Milan’s greatest defenders of all time. But how does a player compete with the likes of Baresi and Maldini? It isn’t easy, but Tassotti certainly gave it his best effort.
A key piece of the invincible four defensive unit that led Milan to the longest shutout in Serie A history, Tassotti not only played excellent defense but was also a very capable wing back who could fly up and down the right flank when needed. Mauro won three Champions League crowns with Milan and was able to hoist one himself as Captain in one of Milan’s most memorable wins in a European Final.
The most shocking thing for me as I remember and researched Tassotti was that he was very much overlooked because of the stiff competition he faced as a defender not only at Milan, but across Italy with the likes of Benarrivo, Apollonni, and the players before them playing at an extremely high level at the same time as Tassotti. He was not capped as a member of the Azzurri until he turned 32 which is even more of feat because he was able to play at the highest level until he retired a member of AC Milan in 1997 at the not so tender age of 37 years old. The trend of high quality aging defenders has been around at Milan for a long time, and the legacy continues.
Tassotti retired with very little fanfare, possibly because he started his career at Lazio and unlike those honored before him was not a Rossoneri for life. However, my father said something funny the other day when I asked him about Tassotti, he said that, “He did things quietly as a player and there was no reason for him to retire any differently,” You do not have to look to far for Tassotti now a days, as he sits along side Carletto week in and week out as Milan’s assistant coach and it is widely thought that he would replace Carletto in a pinch should something happen to the Milan mister.

3 Champions League trophies as a player, 2 as a coach, member of the invincibles, and one of the most humble and modest Milan Legends to date, more trophies than most clubs makes him a special piece of Milan for years to come.

its Gianfrancos work from http://acmilan.theoffside.com/legends/milan-legends-mauro-tassotti.html
i just borrowed :D full credits to this guy only guy who writes in that site :(

Giaz i want to know more about mauro, now i got who was the one i was missing among the legendry back four :) kudos to him :)

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He was on captain duties at Athens '94 so when I think of him, a pic of him holding the big ears come to my mind.

1231962.jpg

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Last Saturday I was watching a show called Expediente Futbol from Fox Sports Latinamerica, they showed the Intercontinental Cup of 1994 (extended highlights). Now, I never saw much of that, I just remember reading my brother's El Grafico from that final, that said Velez played super, Milan played arrogant, and the famous Costacurta rating of 2 (I laughed then while thinking of his awful performance, but I couldn't picture how bad it was...till I saw it).

Now, from watching the extended highlights and asking my brother what he remembers of it, Velez wasn't exactly that much more greater than us, in fact we were close to scoring several times, but Massaro missed some, while Savicevic didn't looked to sharp in that game. However, Velez did have a great kepper in Chilavert (how was at his prime back then). So Velez played normal (1st half)-good (second half), and Chilavert was super.

Now Milan playing arrogant I can see why (after all, in reality Velez is just a small team from the hood, unlike Boca, River, Independiente, etc), but I also keep in mind this argies like to play victims role (I clearly remember how in the 03' final Boca were comparing how poor they were in comparison to us, and that they were some kind of Robin Hood stealing from the rich...after beating us in pk's, and they are a rich team, probably not as much as us, but they do have money lots of money). It's hard to say from the looks of the game, maybe the preparation was different, more relaxed and all (taking care of the press), but looking at the highlights and what my brother told me, I would at least say we played it wanting to win it (as I said we had chances just that Massaro wasn't great and Chilavert was super).

So I was only able to agree with El Grafico with Costacurta's rating. I was between shocked, embarrased, and laughing when I saw everything. First a clumpsy penalty (1-0 lead), then a super mistake that lead to their 2-0 lead, and then a red card. He just looked so bad...kind of like in Laursen's best days with us. It's classic, I love Billy, but that just classic :star:.

BTW, I don't know if Rossi had any weirdo outbreak before that, but watching him after their pk, you could totally see that guy was going to snap out of it one day (just the way he did years later).

Wolfpac4Life

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.Baggio, Van Basten, Maradona
Billy sure did have a stinker in that match, i can still remember him hauling down the Velez forward to get sent off :(.