Andrea Pirlo Thread

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
I was just wondering if Pirlo can play in a different position than what he is playing now.Carlo won’t be Milan’s coach forever so my question is if another coach comes will he count on Pirlo?Pirlo is great one of my favorite players with great technique, pass but he needs to work little on his defensive skills.When Terim was a coach he did not count on Pirlo that much and when Carlo came the first season he was Rui’s sub and played as a playmaker.If another coach plays for example a 4-4-2 formation can he play as a central midfielder like this:
Gatusso Kaka Pirlo and Seedorf(or a wing)

If Pirlo works on his defensive skills and spends more extra hours in the gym lifting weights so that becomes stronger he can be the best.I really want him in Milan for a long time.I want to hear your opinion about Pirlo playing in another position.

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
At the beginning when Pirlo came to Milan a few years ago, it was difficult to find a constant position for him ... But I think that Carletto gave him the right place where he should've been from the start! There aren't any worries, at least from my side, that any other coach wouldn't place him in the same position as that's the position where he really proved himself :)
Nevertheless, I do agree that he should work more on his defensive skills and try to enhance them! He's got the talent of being able to control the ball, create chances through short or long passes and of course to score his beautiful either "chippers" or normal penalties!
During the game he's got a clear picture and a view of the players and the team's positioning on the pitch, which gives him the ability of creating those chances ... The only disadvantage I see in him, where he should be putting more effort, is that he can very quickly lose the ball due to pressure from the opponenets which can sometimes cost us a lot (remember our first leg match against Juve last year? :rolleyes: )!
All in all I see that Trilly's an excellent player though and we were extremely lucky to snatch him from Inter ... At least Milan such a talent is being used!

FORZA TRILLY!!
FORZA MILAN!!

MilanMania

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Ambrosini
Official: Andrea Pirlo Thread

This is now the Official: Andrea Pirlo Thread
- Seamus -

I wonder if anybody here fancy him too? Hehe :D Or just admired him as a player.

Frankly, I think Pirlo is a great player but he is rather quite underrated. Dont you think so? Not much people outside Italy or non-Milan fans have taken notice of him.

Even ex Italy coach, Trap didn't like to start him in the first eleven. He failed to notice such a talented player like Pirlo. If the 1st match for Euro 2004, Pirlo get to be in the starting line-up. I bet everything will be different. I don't even think there'll be any problem for Pirlo to play alongside with players like Totti, Del Piero or Vieri. I really hope the Lippi won't overlook Pirlo again.

Pirlo has been playing well for Milan. I guess his best season in Milan was 02/03 when Milan won the CL. I hope he can keep playing well for Milan and also he can break into the 1st team place for Azzurri!

FORZA MILAN! FORZA PIRLO!

Last edited by a moderator:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fancy him ? Not really :D

He didn't make a huge difference when he played during EURO2004 ;) He's OK I guess, I kinda expected him to grow into a real great player, but so far he hasn't quite met my expectations yet... His build is always going to set limitations to his play. He's just such a lightweight + needs in-form Gattuso around to play at his best.

Rivaldo-11

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rivaldo, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta
Come on! With hair like that how couldnt u.

Andrea would make a perfect fit on "That 70's show" with Kelso and Eric and Fezz hahah great show....anyway im off topic.

Pirlo is a very good player and brings alot to Milan....but 'great;, i dont think so - not yet anyway, hes only 26 soi spose he can get better yet.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Pirlo is a great player in the making. Maybe because his position is not so clearly defined that he doesn't shine as much. He naturally plays in Zidane position in France national team but since Milan has Rui Costa (and Rivaldo 2 seasons ago), he didn't really fit but since he's such a good player Ancelotti wouldn't let him sit in a bench and created a unique position for him and it works perfect for him and Milan. Although he needs to improve his defending skill.

But outside Milan his position is unknown. No other club has even tried that position, originally intended for a defensive midfield. Trap tried on the 2nd game of Euro and it works better for the team. The fact that he plays so well whenever Rino is playing too can't be blamed, they know each other's play so well in the club, the way Raul and Morientes do in Spain national team.

I like him pretty much. Classy, good in freekick, both feet working, pin-point long passes and sometimes he can surprise with deadly long distance shot. But he tends to play too beautiful and didn't pull the trigger fast enough, just like the game againts Lazio this season, one on one with the keeper but tried to fool the goalie. Maybe if the score was still 1-1 or Lasio was still leading he would score. I see him as an important ingredients for Milan for 3-4 years to come.

One last thing, I really like his hair, tried to do my hair like that but my GF wouldn't let me :)

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
on-form, i think pirlo is by far the best italian midfielder.

MilanMania

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
He didn't make a huge difference when he played during EURO2004 .

Did you see the friendly match, Italy won 4-0 over Tunisia? Although it's just Tunisia, they did play an impressive game. Didn't they? If the starting line-up for the game against Denmark is the same as the game against Tunisia, I still think things will be different.

Rivaldo-11 said:
Come on! With hair like that how couldnt u.

Andrea would make a perfect fit on "That 70's show" with Kelso and Eric and Fezz hahah great show....anyway im off topic.

Pirlo is a very good player and brings alot to Milan....but 'great;, i dont think so - not yet anyway, hes only 26 soi spose he can get better yet.

So isn't his hair make him 'special'? Lol! :D

I also think the same way. He is still young. I bet that's still plenty of chance for him to perform.

Baggio used to hail him as his successor. Im waiting for the day to come although it might be quite hard.

S

superman_1899

gaizka22 said:
Classy, good in freekick, both feet working, pin-point long passes and sometimes he can surprise with deadly long distance shot. But he tends to play too beautiful and didn't pull the trigger fast enough, just like the game againts Lazio this season, one on one with the keeper but tried to fool the goalie. Maybe if the score was still 1-1 or Lasio was still leading he would score. I see him as an important ingredients for Milan for 3-4 years to come.

agreed!!!

pirlo is currently the best midfielder in italy... he is a well balanced player, both defensively and offensively... you dont need an in-form gattuso or seedorf for that matter to make him a heavyweight...

he is a player that sets milan's tempo and direction of the game... he is cheer class... even buffon is afraid of him...

perhaps if italy could adapt milan's midfield system then i think the italian team will certainly have what it takes to win trophies... bcos currently milan's system has and is working very well... third season in the running... with the right players matched to their respective position i think italy will be unstoppable...

Cescania

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini
I think he's the best defensive midfielder in Italy. His long passes are in excellent accuracy and dangerously placed ;) . But I think he should put on some more weight. He's a bit too thin and is always the one who falls when there is a crash.

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
None, but thinking of some.
MilanMania said:
Did you see the friendly match, Italy won 4-0 over Tunisia? Although it's just Tunisia, they did play an impressive game. Didn't they? If the starting line-up for the game against Denmark is the same as the game against Tunisia, I still think things will be different.

Friendly game isn't the same as Euro group stage game, and I think that Denmark is a better national side than Tunisia.

One thing about Pirlo is when the camera turns on him, he always looks almost lifeless and seems to never blink.

MilanMania

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
~Biski Biskit~ said:
One thing about Pirlo is when the camera turns on him, he always looks almost lifeless and seems to never blink.

You can't blame him for that. That's his facial expression. I guess he is just born with it. Lol! He always has that kind of 'sleepy' look. I bet that's what he wants too ;)

Cescania said:
But I think he should put on some more weight. He's a bit too thin and is always the one who falls when there is a crash..

That can help Milan to earn a penalty. Lol!

Pranjic

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio
Pirlo is a very good player with the potential to become one of Milan's legends,especially if he keeps winning trophies the way he has so far + he's Italian so that helps.He is the best midfielder Italy have got and why Trap and now Lippi doesn't use him more is a mistery cuz he can play in different positions to the one in which he plays for Milan and it's not like ther are a lot of Italian midfielders of his class,as long as he's performing for Milan he'll have to be given a real chance in the national team sooner rather than later

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
None, but thinking of some.
Cescania said:
I think he's the best defensive midfielder in Italy.

In Italy ? Or best Italian defensive mid ?
Personally I don't rate him as high in defensive midfield department simply because as you mentioned he falls down lightly. All defensive midfielders must have good tackling abilities and strength which he lacks. :eek:

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
Well look at it this way. If Pirlo wasn't starting it would be Ambrosini in there. I like Ambro, he's been a good servant to Milan, but I'd take Pirlo any day over Ambro. When on form Pirlo's probably one of the best Italian central midfielders, but he does go down to easily. I'd like to see a little more Gattuso's fire in his play.

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
us_bombs said:
on-form, i think pirlo is by far the best italian midfielder.

agreed......if he is on form...i think we can go all the way...2 win the serie a...n champs league.....he's role is crucial..

K-J

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomáš Rosický
This guy is why I started to like Milan. And after that I just liked every player. The role Pirlo has on the field has such an impact on how the team will play in that game. He might not be as strong as Rino or have Maldini's tackling skills, but his creativity and versatility make it all up. His long, accurate passes, set pieces and ball control just make me drool every time I have the chance to watch a Milan game.

His ball control actually kinda reminds me of Beckham. And his crosses... damn. If his progress continues I can see him become a legend. And finding a worthy replacement if he's injured or banned is not an easy job.

Although he's a "lightweight", I'd rather play with him than against him.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I have expected more from him, can't repeat it enough. His consistency this season is.. well, let's put it this way: it's sth. I'm still waiting for. And did I mention his biggest disadvantage aside from the frail physical build, his slowness ? Therefore his accuracy is such a must, to partially compensate his weaknesses. And when it fails him, he's pretty much useless. I think that's what K-J means when drooling on his impact on the game. He's either great + dictating the flow + creating... or... crap. Hardly ever anything in between. Take all of Milan's rather unimpressive, uninspired matches this season, I bet they had one thing in common: an underperforming Pirlo.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
i'm a better milan fan than all of you out there put together. its true, so shut up if you don't think so. all of you two-bit asses who think you know about milan don't know dick. because of this, whenever anyone says something positive about milan, i'm going to criticise their post, belittle their knowledge, make stereotypes, and pretty much be a bitch from now on. i think that's what you're supposed to do if you're a milan expert, so i will.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yea, the droolers could really shut up sometimes. All this crap about superiority + best in the world is embarrassing to read sometimes. If you need to constantly celebrate + glorify every fart coming out of Milanello, do it, but refrain from demanding that everyone does the same.

S

superman_1899

Two basic need of a defensive midfielder…

1) good aggression
2) good vision

well base on this, to qualify for the first criteria a defensive midfielder should have a strong physique to win the ball and not fall easily on challenges…

and for the second criteria… a defensive midfielder should have good vision to launch quick counter attack and hold the midfield together when attacking…

pirlo’s role as a defensive midfielder is only to a certain extent… bcos pirlo’s function as a defensive midfielder (as for the defensive aspect) is to defuse the opponents attack… for instance whenever you see an opponent on milan’s half… you would see pirlo very close to them instead challenging them, (but on rare occasions he will make that challenge) ... ever wonder y?... its because he doesn’t qualify for the first criteria and he certainly doesn’t have the physique for it, you cant blame him for that…

pirlo’s role as a defensive midfielder which was created by carlo is being used more of a alternative attacking weapon then a defensive role!!! should the strike force fail…

I use the word “defuse” bcos he would be close to any Milan player whom is making the challenge, to take control of the loose ball and set up the counter… which he is doing it very well… try observing his play for once…

Plus you got to admit, he does have a calming effect when Milan is under pressure…

S

superman_1899

Passion for *9* said:
Yea, the droolers could really shut up sometimes. All this crap about superiority + best in the world is embarrassing to read sometimes. If you need to constantly celebrate + glorify every fart coming out of Milanello, do it, but refrain from demanding that everyone does the same.

at the moment he is the best at what he has been told to do... and he does it with style...

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Pirlo is "forced" to play in that position. I remember in one article Ambrosini started to feel that the position would not be given to him at the Trofeo Berlusconi game before the 02-03 season. During the 1st half Milan played like shit. At the start of 2nd half Pirlo came to replace Max and it was better. That's how it started.

But about him being the best Italian creative midfield, he's second only to Totti and Fiore before. This role is such a rare species in Italy.

S

superman_1899

gaizka22 said:
Pirlo is "forced" to play in that position. I remember in one article Ambrosini started to feel that the position would not be given to him at the Trofeo Berlusconi game before the 02-03 season. During the 1st half Milan played like shit. At the start of 2nd half Pirlo came to replace Max and it was better. That's how it started.

But about him being the best Italian creative midfield, he's second only to Totti and Fiore before. This role is such a rare species in Italy.

totti is more of a forward then a midfielder... and fiore is not worth to be mentioned here...

milan_fan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, pirlo, gilardino, pippo, dida, sheva
Passion for *9* said:
I have expected more from him, can't repeat it enough. His consistency this season is.. well, let's put it this way: it's sth. I'm still waiting for. And did I mention his biggest disadvantage aside from the frail physical build, his slowness ? Therefore his accuracy is such a must, to partially compensate his weaknesses. And when it fails him, he's pretty much useless. I think that's what K-J means when drooling on his impact on the game. He's either great + dictating the flow + creating... or... crap. Hardly ever anything in between. Take all of Milan's rather unimpressive, uninspired matches this season, I bet they had one thing in common: an underperforming Pirlo.
the words outta my mouth... i always grunt about milan not having any good midfielders when we play crap. we lose possesion like jerks. we depend too much on the threesome (pirlo, seedorf, gattuso) in the midfield, who can perform badly at times(unfortunately the bad form seems contagious)

certainly pirlo not the best guy in the defensive midfielder role... but surely his qualities are unique and awesome. i guess he'll fit in leftmid more.(uhmm... i m being speculative again :head:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
superman_1899 said:
totti is more of a forward then a midfielder... and fiore is not worth to be mentioned here...

I see your point. But he plays behind Cassano and Montella in Roma although current scheme by Del Neri opted for 3 forwards with Totti in the middle. In In the last 3-4 years in Roma he always played behind 2 strikers (Batistuta, Delvecchio, Montella, Cassano, Paolo Sergio, Balbo). And also at WC 2002 he was designed to play behind Pippo and Vieri. Injury to Pippo forced Trap to pushed him up front and messed up the whole scheme.

As for Fiore, I was referring to his performance before the Euro 2000. Not now...:)

S

superman_1899

i dont think many here, understand pirlo's role as a defensive midfield in milan....

if only you guys understand it, then you guys wouldnt been saying such a thing!!!