Week 22: AC Milan - Hellas Verona 02/02/2020 15:00 CET

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Pioli:

Without Ibra we go on with 442?

"We will see, we have positions that can change. It is not the game system that makes you win, but the quality of the games."

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
Official: Ibra, Kjaer, Krunic, and Bennacer (suspended) are all out for tomorrow’s game.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
EPtWzw2X0AE7L4M

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I think we'll see:

Donna
Conti - Musa - Roma - Theo
Samu - Kessie - Hakan - Jack
Leao - Rebic

I hope neither Musa or Roma get a yellow for suspension (more so Roma, since Kjaer should be back for derby) and the midfield is going to be something else....

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Ibra, Kjaer and Krunic all out of the squad.

Squad:

GOALKEEPERS
Begović, A. Donnarumma, G. Donnarumma.

DEFENDERS
Calabria, Conti, Gabbia, Hernández, Laxalt, Musacchio, Romagnoli.

CENTROCAMPISTI
Bonaventura, Brescianini, Çalhanoğlu, Kessie, Paquetà, Saelemaekers.

FORWARDS
Castillejo, Leão, Rebić, Maldini.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
With the lack of available midfielders and no Zlatan, I don't see why we should be playing 442. Dropping an attacker for a midfielder makes sense so something closer to a 4231, with maybe Rebic on the left and Bonaventura or Paqueta behind Leao. Kessie and Hakan in the middle if Krunic is out.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If I had to guess, this would be the lineup:

Their two attacking midfielders should drop back to press Kessie and Hakan but that would leave Conti and Theo free, and if they attract their wingbacks that leaves Casti and Rebic with room to run into. We should have the upper hand tactically, only worry is if the decide to play very deep and our players don't have room to run into. We don't have the option of hitting it to Ibra in a crowded box.

I guess if things don't work out we can always shift to 442 using the same players, and vice versa. He has done it a lot before, but I think we'll start with the 4231 this time to make sure we have numbers in the middle.

Last edited:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ibra, Kjaer and Krunic all out of the squad.

Squad:

GOALKEEPERS
Begović, A. Donnarumma,
DEFENDERS
Calabria, Gabbia, Laxalt,

CENTROCAMPISTI
Brescianini, Paquetà, Saelemaekers.

FORWARDS
Maldini.

That's the bench. Fuck.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This will show if Ibra needs to be on the field to have an effect on the squad, or if they've learned something by having him around this last month.

The team was doing well when he wasn't on the pitch in the 2 Coppa games.

We don't have a CF available for this one.
Only one actual midfielder, and it's Kessie.
Musacchio seems to not have fully recovered from his injury, but he'll probably have to start anyway.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
If I had to guess, this would be the lineup:

Agreed, and it's quite interchangeable with a 4-4-2, just a case of Jack's position on the pitch. Can also easily defend then in a 4-5-1 and we have a great deal of pace in attack.

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
I'm fucking terrified of a Kebab-Kessie double pivot as our only mids.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Agreed, and it's quite interchangeable with a 4-4-2, just a case of Jack's position on the pitch. Can also easily defend then in a 4-5-1 and we have a great deal of pace in attack.

Having Rebic on the left gives us a lot of in game options.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
This is actually an interesting game and a test of Pioli’s adaptability. I’d like to see no points of reference upfront with Rebic starting left, Castillejo starting right and Leao dropping back as a false 9, forming the first defensive wall with Bona and Hakan, and attacking through the middle when we have the ball.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
I'm so pumped up for this game. Shame that we wont see Ibra. But seeing Rebic and Castillejo reborn makes me so excited

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
No Luan Capanni in the squad? He injured?

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
This might revolt the armchair tacticians in here, but I'd like to see us continue with the 4-4-2 with Rebic and Leao up top. Both players are in stellar form and have been unable to start together because of Ibra. That should be the case but now that Ibra isnt playing they should complement each other nicely because they're in such a flow.

Hakan LM and Kessie-Paqueta CM. It might work.

Hopefully we win by a Maldini goal tomorrow. I want to see daddys reaction.

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This will be Rafael Leaos first really dominant display.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
This might revolt the armchair tacticians in here, but I'd like to see us continue with the 4-4-2 with Rebic and Leao up top. Both players are in stellar form and have been unable to start together because of Ibra. That should be the case but now that Ibra isnt playing they should complement each other nicely because they're in such a flow.

Hakan LM and Kessie-Krunic CM. It might work.

Who cares what others think, Leao and Rebic are definitely who we should play up top.

Krunic has a minor injury I believe

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Paq should be tried as a CM.
I remember him having some defensive skills when he was in Brazil.
Lax as a LM or Salem as RM could be an option.
I really dont care , am happy that Suso is no more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I would like to stick with the 4-4-2 too. But we need goals from Leao, and he's depending way too much on a wide starting point. He needs to make serious improvements for this to work.

The 4-2-3-1 that brki is suggesting looks extremely lopsided. 5 players whose natural tendency is to push towards the top left corner area(Hakan, Bona, Leao, Rebic, Theo). That's half of the outfielders. A recipe for a clusterfuck.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo

I would like to see the 442 with Paqueta-Kessie too, but I think it'll be Kessie-Hakan with Jack on the left instead unfortunately.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I would like to stick with the 4-4-2 too. But we need goals from Leao, and he's depending way too much on a wide starting point. He needs to make serious improvements for this to work.

The 4-2-3-1 that brki is suggesting looks extremely lopsided. 5 players whose natural tendency is to push towards the top left corner area(Hakan, Bona, Leao, Rebic, Theo). That's half of the outfielders. A recipe for a clusterfuck.
Really curious to see Pioli's first XI tomorrow.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Without a genuine CF the best way to play imo would be to have Rebic play code to Leao centrally. Let them combine both short and try to play each other I behind.

I’d keep Hakan at LM drifting centrally. The main problem is at CM where we may well have to play Paqueta. Depending on how things go we might have to put Rebic wide and look a bit more 4141. Kessie needs to play an immense game tomorrow.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score

All of those players are going to play in the 4-4-2 as well.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Really curious to see Pioli's first XI tomorrow.

I don't think it's possible to pick a good XI with those midfield options.

CENTROCAMPISTI
Bonaventura, Brescianini, Çalhanoğlu, Kessie, Paquetà, Saelemaekers.

giphy.gif

Without a genuine CF the best way to play imo would be to have Rebic play code to Leao centrally. Let them combine both short and try to play each other I behind.

I’d keep Hakan at LM drifting centrally. The main problem is at CM where we may well have to play Paqueta. Depending on how things go we might have to put Rebic wide and look a bit more 4141. Kessie needs to play an immense game tomorrow.

Yup. I think I'd go with this as well, but is Paq fit? Has he even been training lately?

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
A 4-4-2 with Hakan as LM and Paqueta-Kessie centrally is surely the way.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
All of those players are going to play in the 4-4-2 as well.

Not necessarily. But CM in a 4-2-3-1 is a more defensive role than in a 4-4-2. Hakan's tendencies could cost us more.
Rebic-Leao could perhaps complement each-other, in the front 2 free-roles. Bona would start out wide and drift centrally, leaving the flank for Theo/Rebic, just as he prefers. It's a safer bet than those same players in a forced 4-2-3-1 shape.