Toulouse (3) 2-0 Auxerre (10)
Lille (8) 2-0 Sochaux (4)
Valenciennes (14) 0-0 Marseille (5)
Le Mans (12) 0-0 Rennes (9)
Lorient (11) 0-0 Monaco (13)
Troyes (18) 0-0 Nancy (15)
Nice (17) 2-1 Saint-Etienne (6)
Lyon (1) 1-0 Sedan (19)

Yep, a whopping eight goals were scored over the weekend, the lowest in Ligue 1 history.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=280990

zale

Banned
Reaction score
lol nice pool,i voted Yes, we'll finally see a change.It`s getting borring:)

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
Baros accused of racism ... if he's really guilty then he should be punished seriously. Racism has no place in football.. not only in football but anywhere!!

Mr C

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
pipa said:
Baros accused of racism ... if he's really guilty then he should be punished seriously. Racism has no place in football.. not only in football but anywhere!!
Olympique Lyon striker Milan Baros has maintained his innocence after being accused of racially abusing Cameroon's Stephane Mbia.

The incident occurred during on Wednesday when the defender's team Stade Rennes held Lyon to a 0-0 draw in a French Ligue One game.

French television showed the former Liverpool and Aston Villa striker pinching his nose and waving his hand at Mbia as if he was repelling an offensive odour.

The Cameroon player said at the end of the game he had been "deeply hurt by the gesture."

Rennes chairman Frederic Saint-Sernin said he would watch the tape of the incident and could take action against Baros.

The Czech international, who joined Lyon in January from Aston Villa, said in a statement published that he regretted his gesture but denied it was meant to be racist.

"Milan Baros merely wanted to tell (Mbia) something he didn't know how to say in French: 'leave me alone and give me breathing space'," the club said.

"Milan Baros has always denounced any form of racism, in sport and in life in general. Olympique Lyon share Baros's commitment against racism," the club added.

GW

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Flamini, Pippo, Nesta, T. Silva, Pjanic, Begovic, Besic
Congrats to Lyon for their sixth consecutive title.

First time that some team won title six time in a row in five strongest leagues ( EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1) !!!

GW

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
madtherchot said:
^^ maybe the media should make that 'four strongest leagues' ;)

Totally agree here. The strenght of Ligue 1 is very doubtful.
And games are so boring, lots of 0-0 results. 10-12 goals per week is awful.
Lyon doesnt have competition for years now not because they are so strong its because others are so bad and boring. :head:

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
The league is still going strong within france though isnt it? Stadia are still full etc?
Every team outside of Lyon does suck on the european stage though, and Lyon ar ebeginning to show signs of cracks. Next season will be a lot closer...hopefully with cavenaghi banging then in after having settled into Bordeux :D

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
There were a few cracks in Lyon's armor domestically this season, though; only the inconsistency of everyone else prevented them from really becoming a problem.

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
Before some days I was watching highlists of french league and there were more spectators than in Serie A :rolleyes:

Congrast to Lyon for their 6th tittle in a row, I've read somewhere that noone did that from 5 biggest leagues.

Mr C

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Lyon Chairman was giving Houllier £120m+ to spend on transfers. What a whopper. It wasn't a rumour either, a full exclusive interview with the man. Why announce how much you are going to spend/how much you have? Teams will just ask for an extra £5m on any player that Lyon are interested in, because they know they have the money. Leeds weres stupid enough to do that a few years back, and now, well, look at them, they're shit and in debt.

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
Todays results.

FT Paris S.G. 1 - 1 Lyon
FT Auxerre 1 - 0 Troyes
FT Le Mans 1 - 1 Nantes
FT Lens 2 - 0 Toulouse
FT Nancy 3 - 0 Nice
FT Rennes 0 - 0 Bordeaux
FT Sedan 3 - 1 Lorient
FT Sochaux 1 - 0 Valenciennes

Damn I wanted Paris S.G to win today :mad:

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Abrupt exit for a controversial keeper
April 30th, 2007, filed by Patrick Vignal

Fabien Barthez: will he be remembered as an eccentric genius, or as just plain eccentric?

The former France keeper looks to have played his last game after he was attacked in his car by drunken supporters on Saturday, and ended up punching one of them.

It happened after Nantes lost 2-0 to Stade Rennes, a result meaning the eight-times champions will almost certainly be relegated for the first time after a record 44 consecutive years in the top flight.

The next day, Barthez handed back the keys to his Nantes home and drove off for good. He’s 35 and a flamboyant career marred by controversy looks all over.

Some French fans would forgive him anything, as they remember the fantastic saves that helped France become world champions for the first time in 1998.

Others will have a less kind view. This is a man who was suspended for five months for spitting at a referee in 2005, and never apologised. The list of his recent antics includes hurting a teammate with a dangerous tackle in training and saying afterwards he had had fun.

What did Barthez have in mind when he decided just before Christmas to come out of retirement to help Nantes in their relegation struggle? He was probably missing a game he truly loves but soon enough he was making embarrassing blunders reminiscent of his worst days at United.

Then came trouble with his team mates. An individualist, which I suppose you have to be, up to a point, when you’re a goalkeeper, he never won acceptance from the rest of the team. And the atmosphere, already bad before he came along, reportedly became rotten.

Now Barthez is gone and Nantes are getting ready for Ligue 2. “When we see our Beaujoire stadium three-quarters empty next season, it’s going to hurt”, a distraught Nantes fan said. At least the Canaries might have a more reliable, if less recognisable, goalkeeper.

(blogs.reuters.com)

GW

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I didnt expected Houllier to go off the Lyon bench.
Lyon season was not the best one but hey they won Ligue 1 for who know what time in a row. And they were in french cup final ( if I remember good they lost against Bordeaux).
Maybe only dissapointing thing for Lyon is CL. Again exelent group stage when they won and draw against Real.
And then big surprise in 1/8 finals when they lost against Roma. After very good 0-0 at Olimpico, Roma totally outplayed them and won 3-0 !!!

I read somewhere ( dont remember where ) that Didier Deschamps could take over Lyon. But I really doubt it that Juve would let him go.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
gatusso warrior said:
I didnt expected Houllier to go off the Lyon bench.
Lyon season was not the best one but hey they won Ligue 1 for who know what time in a row. And they were in french cup final ( if I remember good they lost against Bordeaux).
Maybe only dissapointing thing for Lyon is CL. Again exelent group stage when they won and draw against Real.
And then big surprise in 1/8 finals when they lost against Roma. After very good 0-0 at Olimpico, Roma totally outplayed them and won 3-0 !!!

I read somewhere ( dont remember where ) that Didier Deschamps could take over Lyon. But I really doubt it that Juve would let him go.
They've let him go already

Lyon have stagnated under Houllier + not unexpectedly, + even if I'm not exactly a huge Lyon fan I'm kinda glad he'll be replaced.

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Lyon required a change, maybe Houllier did as well. Clearly their ambition is to win the CL as they've won their 6th title on the trot and will surely win another next season. Lyon's major obstacle in winning the CL has been the sale of their top players. The likes of Essien and Diarra. Also with the likes of Juninho, Cacapa getting older they might have missed their chance at CL glory for a couple more years. If they could attract quality players from one of the big 3 european leagues they could offer a challenge in europe once more but they also need a good coach to do so.

It's been rumored than Deschamps is on his way there for next season after his resignation from Juve.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Catch-22 for Ligue 1 clubs
June 21st, 2007, filed by Patrick Vignal
In terms of television money, six-times French champions Olympique Lyon would risk relegation if they were in the Premier League.

Lyon pocketed under 45 million euros from TV rights last season, which is the equivalent of what the bottom clubs in England cashed in. Lyon’s rivals like Olympique Marseille and Girondins Bordeaux had to be content with under 35 million euros, less than any top-flight English side.

When you add to that the fact that the kind of money made by French clubs from ticketing and merchandising is nowhere near the sums generated in England, you understand why you have no big names playing in France and why Lyon, the measure of all things in France, have never advanced beyond the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

In a few months, the French Professional Football League will study offers from broadcasters for the 2008-2011 period. It is unlikely they will get more than the 600 million euros a year pay-TV channel Canal Plus are currently paying.

Now look at the transfers so far. Mathieu Bodmer and Kader Keita joining Lyon from Lille, Benoit Cheyrou leaving Auxerre for Marseille. Such signings can’t compete with the players joining clubs in England, Spain, Italy or even Germany.

If the stars aren’t there, broadcasters will be reluctant to pay fortunes to show the action. Even rights-holders Canal Plus are showing more and more English or Spanish matches because the French ones are deemed boring in comparison.

Clubs like Chelsea or AC Milan often make the front page of L’Equipe nowadays, which would have been inconceivable a few years back. French clubs need more money to be more attractive but would need to be more attractive to make more money. It seems there is no solution. I bet that in a few weeks, several of the most exciting Ligue 1 players will have signed for English clubs. (Reuters)

INsider

Banned
Reaction score
that's way too early to predict
but personally i wouldn't mind more unpredictability in ANY league

good luck to daddy gourcuff's lorient :D

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
In the end Lyon will win it again,it`s just to much imbalance in terms of budgets between lyon and the other teams.

They have problems whit injuries now,but i expect them by the time they hit winter break to be top of the table.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
does anyone here think that benzema will end up a world class player? i would love it if united signed him.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
manutd fan said:
does anyone here think that benzema will end up a world class player? i would love it if united signed him.

He is top class in football manager and looks promising in real life and i think he will,when he moves to a bigger club i bet lyon are gonna get a shit load of money.

As i was saying a few months back(lol this thread has hardly any post in it :) ) lyon will get back,and there topping the table now by 4 points.

lyon-46
bordeaux-42
AS Nancy-Lorraine -38

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Az. said:
He is top class in football manager and looks promising in real life and i think he will,when he moves to a bigger club i bet lyon are gonna get a shit load of money.

As i was saying a few months back(lol this thread has hardly any post in it :) ) lyon will get back,and there topping the table now by 4 points.

lyon-46
bordeaux-42
AS Nancy-Lorraine -38
agree 100% :) and him and rooney would be a dream partnership IMO, much better than rooney and tevez (which has the potential to be amazing aswell)

albion tifo

Forever Milanista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
I don't think ManU will sign Benzema for sure, there are Real and also Milan interested on him, If Gila leave in summer for sure Benzema is going to choice us,or maybe is going to be an exchange with Lyon for Benzema and Gila. Who knows everything is possible.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
albion tifo said:
I don't think ManU will sign Benzema for sure, there are Real and also Milan interested on him, If Gila leave in summer for sure Benzema is going to choice us,or maybe is going to be an exchange with Lyon for Benzema and Gila. Who knows everything is possible.
he has said in an interview that he would love to play 4 manutd, but he also said he dreams of playing for milan.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
manutd fan said:
he has said in an interview that he would love to play 4 manutd, but he also said he dreams of playing for milan.

Did you actually see a interview whit him or that crap from goal.com when he said he would love to play for Milan ,United etc?:)

*rossonera*

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
albion tifo said:
exactly - who knows, but my guess is 1) he prefers england or spain to italy + 2) berlusconi would never ever be willing to meet the asking price for him. ;)

did you guys see his last-gasp freekick equalizer against st. etienne? :eek: