Carlo Ancelotti Thread

So, should Mourinho come to Milan?

• Total voters

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
BMWTaylor said:
I don't understand why people keep calling for Carlo's head on a stick. Until he really screws up Milan in some huge way, I'll continue to be one of his defenders. I salute the Milan brass for not sacking him after last season. Had we lost the CL final anyway but not in such devastating fashion, I wonder if opinions would be different. Plus, a team can't win everydamnthing every single season, especially since the level of competition seems to be higher than ever.

To blame Carletto for the CL final result is just plain wrong. Losses are not always the fault of the coach. He diagrams the plays and it's up to the players to carry them out on the pitch, but he shouldn't have to babysit them every second, as they are professionals. Sadly, coaching is the most thankless occupation in sports. Heck, Rafael Benitez would likely be facing the chopping block right now if defending champs Liverpool, weak in the EPL, weren't doing so well right now in Europe.
I agree and I guess he's staying. ;)

ANCELOTTI: ‘With Milan for a long period’
11/7/2005
COVERCIANO - Carlo Ancelotti expressed his satisfaction with the Golden Bench award for his 2002/03 and 2003/04 seasons: ‘I want to thank all my colleagues that selected me because I have envied those that received this award before myself. It makes you happy to receive this recognition, I cannot be anything but pleased. It's an award I have been looking to for some time.’ The Rossonero coach celebrated a special anniversary just yesterday and he commented with pride on the seasons he has been in charge: ‘These past four years have passed quickly, they went well. I hope to have many more. I don’t know how much of the English model we can adopt for our football, but I hope that it can be emulated and that I am able to stay on for a long period.’

[Source: ACMilan.com]

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
ANCELOTTI: ‘Able to go the distance’
11/11/2005
MILAN – Il Corriere dello Sport published a long interview with coach Carlo Ancelotti: ‘Some people thought or hoped that Milan were finished after that night in Istanbul. But instead, that defeat made us angry and gave us strength. This team can go the distance. There are at least six very valuable players that are less than 30 years old, like Pirlo, Sheva, Kakà, Gattuso and Nesta .’ He added: ‘I respect the contract and will be here for another year. I hope to sign another contract and coach with Milan for many years. I have two homes: one in the country with my wife and sons and one at the Milanello. I have great bosses, I consider them to be friends. They know how to evaluate the results. The Champions League final and second place were not a failure.’ Some of his ideas on the current season: ‘We are on our the right path in the Championship and the Champions League. We will focus on the qualification before Christmas. Juve are strong, but if Milan are in form there are no rivals.’

[Source: ACMilan.com]

Yup, he definitely is staying! ;)

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Ancelotti to Man U?

Ancelotti to Man U?

From Channel 4:

Man Utd tempt Ancelotti

Carlo Ancelotti could move from the Diavolo to the Red Devils, as reports suggest Manchester United are interested in the Milan Coach.

It’s widely believed that this will be Sir Alex Ferguson’s last season in charge at Old Trafford and the club seems determined to bring in a Serie A tactician. Already linked with Juventus man Fabio Capello last month, the next candidate is Ancelotti.

“I have been here for four years, but I hope it’s merely the start of another four-year cycle,” insisted the Rossoneri boss.

Nonetheless, ‘La Repubblica’ claims today that Ancelotti is “considering” the proposal of a move to the Premiership at the end of this season.

Ancelotti’s contract expires in June 2007, but after ending last term empty-handed and losing the Champions League Final despite leading Liverpool 3-0, he knows that a similar lack of success will see him replaced at the San Siro.

Veteran defender Billy Costacurta even confirmed that Ancelotti’s era is coming to an end. “After four or five years a Coach loses his charisma in the dressing-room,” he said. “The problem is not whether or not Ancelotti has lost his motivation but whether or not the players have.”

However, Manchester United face competition from Real Madrid, who have also been repeatedly linked with a swoop for the 2003 Champions League winning tactician.

Well...?

SGK

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva,Kaka,,Gila, ambro, gattuso, pirlo, maldini,
See ya Carlo, don't let the door hit ya on your way out.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Messi, Zambrotta, Mutu, Mexes
He can go to Man Utd as long as Ferguson doesn't come from them to us ;)

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Here is the full report on Costacurta's Keano style outburt:

Channel4:

Costacurta 'closes' Ancelotti era, Friday 11 November, 2005

Alessandro Costacurta has launched a surprising broadside at his Milan Coach Carlo Ancelotti, claiming “he’s lost his charisma.”

Costacurta, who is in his last season at the San Siro after a glittering 20-year career with the Rossoneri, knows a thing or two about playing under big league Coaches, but his comments about Ancelotti will come as a surprise to many.

“After four or five years a Coach loses his charisma in the dressing-room,” he said. “The problem is not whether or not Ancelotti has lost his motivation but whether or not the players have.”

Billy has only played four games under Ancelotti this season, but it is difficult to tell whether or not his frustration has led to him questioning his Coach’s authority.

The veteran defender obviously believes every tactician has a shelf life and, although Ancelotti has been a good servant to the club, he feels that his has come to an end.

“The results of this season have shown the good work that the Coach has done,” added the 39-year-old. “But it is a physiological fact that after several years the side pays less attention to their Coach. The history of the club bears this out: look at Arrigo Sacchi and Fabio Capello, for example.”

Sacchi and Capello both enjoyed successful stints at the club of four and six years respectively before each returning for a final, less impressive season.

Costacurta lived through both regimes and is well-placed to give an inside opinion on the inner workings of the Milan giants, especially as he also played alongside former midfielder Ancelotti.

Ancelotti is in his fifth season at the club and is contracted to stay until 2007, after which he is expected to take over the national team.

President Silvio Berlusconi is already planning Carletto’s eventual successor and has expressed an interest in Holland boss and former Milan idol Marco Van Basten.

Although Van Basten himself has denied having any plans to come back to Italy, Costacurta hinted that he would be in favour of a return of his former teammate. “Marco is good at everything he does,” he said. “He is proving that with Holland.”

This is confirmation in my eyes that Carletto must go, and soon to. I, and many others have suspected for sometime now that the reason behind so many lack lustre performances, arrogance in "won" games and choking in matches where we have a massive advantage is due to the coach. This statemant by one of Milans most respected players shows that Carlo is responsable for alot of this as he has lost his flare, drive and idea which is conveying into the squad. I think he needs to go if we are to ever fully recover from Istanbul Syndrome, regardless of what he has won and is capable of.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Lo Tsar said:
This is confirmation in my eyes that Carletto must go, and soon to. I, and many others have suspected for sometime now that the reason behind so many lack lustre performances, arrogance in "won" games and choking in matches where we have a massive advantage is due to the coach. This statemant by one of Milans most respected players shows that Carlo is responsable for alot of this as he has lost his flare, drive and idea which is conveying into the squad. I think he needs to go if we are to ever fully recover from Istanbul Syndrome, regardless of what he has won and is capable of.

Yes, i agree that each coach has a 'shelf-life'...after a certain point it's neccesary to get someone new in to rejuvenate. But I disagree that this is somehow Ancelotti's fault...and to blame the squad's shortcomings on him is just plain stupid.

A new coach might be needed for the player's sake...not to compensate for any failure on Ancelotti's part.

Billy said:
“The problem is not whether or not Ancelotti has lost his motivation but whether or not the players have.”

I rest my case.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Congo Powers said:
Yes, i agree that each coach has a 'shelf-life'...after a certain point it's neccesary to get someone new in to rejuvenate. But I disagree that this is somehow Ancelotti's fault...and to blame the squad's shortcomings on him is just plain stupid.
Funny, because thats not the impression you gave when I suggested Mancini as a replacment. I seem to remember you saying that Carletto was a better manager for us because of the number of trophies he has won compared to Mancio. But now you say that a coach has a shelf-life :conf:

Billy's comments are quite clear, he makes clear a respect and aknowledgment for Carlo. But what else is clear is that under him the team lacks motivation and drive, as he (Carlo) has lost or atleast lessend in this himself. For me this shows that it is critical for a new manager with new ideas, ambition and hunger to take up the role as Milan manager.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Lo Tsar said:
Funny, because thats not the impression you gave when I suggested Mancini as a replacment. I seem to remember you saying that Carletto was a better manager for us because of the number of trophies he has won compared to Mancio. But now you say that a coach has a shelf-life :conf:

Carlo is a better manager than Mancini anyway you look at it...that's not the point tho. Arrigo Sacchi, one of the greatest coaches of all time, had his 'cycle' then left. It's just the way things work..Just because Mancini hasn't won anything doesn't mean he's gonna come here and win the treble..that's just stupid.

Marco will be the next coach...why are we even wasting our time talking about an arrogant prick like Mancini?

Lo Tsar said:
Billy's comments are quite clear, he makes clear a respect and aknowledgment for Carlo. But what else is clear is that under him the team lacks motivation and drive, as he (Carlo) has lost or atleast lessend in this himself. For me this shows that it is critical for a new manager with new ideas, ambition and hunger to take up the role as Milan manager.

yes, i agree. Again, though, i think it should be said that it's not Carlo who has lost motivation...it's the players. after a certain period the players get comfortable/complacent with the system.
Either we get 25 new players or get a new coach to solve the problem... Unfortunately for Carlo, i think we know what's going to happen.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Congo Powers said:
Carlo is a better manager than Mancini anyway you look at it...that's not the point tho. Arrigo Sacchi, one of the greatest coaches of all time, had his 'cycle' then left. It's just the way things work..Just because Mancini hasn't won anything doesn't mean he's gonna come here and win the treble..that's just stupid.

Marco will be the next coach...why are we even wasting our time talking about an arrogant prick like Mancini?

Well I think Mancini is ideal for bringing a new impetus to this club and it's players. But I agree that we should not discuss that here. But one thing, how is he arrogant, or rather especially arrogant?

Congo Powers said:
yes, i agree. Again, though, i think it should be said that it's not Carlo who has lost motivation...it's the players. after a certain period the players get comfortable/complacent with the system.
Either we get 25 new players or get a new coach to solve the problem... Unfortunately for Carlo, i think we know what's going to happen.
I don't doubt that at a club other than Milan, Carletto would have the drive and skill to have success there. But as long as he is here I think both he and Milan will under-achieve. So you are right, it is he that shall leave, not the players. and in my opinion the sooner the better.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lo Tsar said:
He can go to Man Utd as long as Ferguson doesn't come from them to us
Sorry, but I can't picture Carlo coaching those ManU reprobates in a million years.

I can't really add anything else to this discussion, since y'all pretty much took the words out of my mouth. :)

Dil dil

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan players espacially Maldini-Inzaghi
Ancelotti Rues Disallowed Goal
22.11 || Seamus || $source

The Milan coach blasted the linesman for disallowing a ‘regular’ goal against Fiorentina.

Carlo Ancelotti attacked the referee decision of not awarding the possible 2-2 goal against the Viola, in a match which the Tuscan side then won 3-1.

“It’s strange to me that Rodomonti, ten metres away from the action, did not say anything, whereas the assistant referee, who was 40 metres away, saw everything. He intervened, but according to me there was no push, but if there was, it was so he could free himself from being held back. But usually these interventions don’t happy, and this time we were quite penalized."

Milan have now been reached by Fiorentina in second place, as the Rossoneri’s gap from league leaders Juventus increased to 5 points.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
BMWTaylor said:
I don't understand why people keep calling for Carlo's head on a stick. Until he really screws up Milan in some huge way, I'll continue to be one of his defenders. I salute the Milan brass for not sacking him after last season. Had we lost the CL final anyway but not in such devastating fashion, I wonder if opinions would be different. Plus, a team can't win everydamnthing every single season, especially since the level of competition seems to be higher than ever.

To blame Carletto for the CL final result is just plain wrong. Losses are not always the fault of the coach. He diagrams the plays and it's up to the players to carry them out on the pitch, but he shouldn't have to babysit them every second, as they are professionals. Sadly, coaching is the most thankless occupation in sports. Heck, Rafael Benitez would likely be facing the chopping block right now if defending champs Liverpool, weak in the EPL, weren't doing so well right now in Europe.

Defend him all you want fruit cake, but he's definetely out,
even he realize this by now. It would be a shame to keep him
after all this!

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
YUGOSLAVIAN said:
Defend him all you want fruit cake
Nice. :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm fully aware that he's on borrowed time since the debacle at Istanbul and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this season were to be his swan song, especially with the way we're currently slogging through the CL campaign.

But until that day arrives, he's still the coach and we have to play with the cards dealt to us, and I've just grown weary of the armchair quarterbacks coming out of the woodwork to bellyache about him with the requisite "Carlo Must GO!" posts only after we screw up on the pitch.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
BMWTaylor said:
Nice. :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm fully aware that he's on borrowed time since the debacle at Istanbul and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this season were to be his swan song, especially with the way we're currently slogging through the CL campaign.

But until that day arrives, he's still the coach and we have to play with the cards dealt to us, and I've just grown weary of the armchair quarterbacks coming out of the woodwork to bellyache about him with the requisite "Carlo Must GO!" posts only after we screw up on the pitch.

I don't care about Istanbul, I'm talking about this season.
Look at us, sharing 2nd place with Fiora,
in very uncomfortable position in CL and yet we gotta
go to Istanbul tomorrow!
What do you see happening if we lose tomorrow?
Galiani has forgiven Carlo too much too many times,
and I really hope that he is full of his sh** !

"Carlo Must Go" is on my signature even before the final vs. Liverpool !

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
YUGOSLAVIAN said:
I don't care about Istanbul, I'm talking about this season.
Look at us, sharing 2nd place with Fiora,
in very uncomfortable position in CL and yet we gotta
go to Istanbul tomorrow!
What do you see happening if we lose tomorrow?
Galiani has forgiven Carlo too much too many times,
and I really hope that he is full of his sh** !

"Carlo Must Go" is on my signature even before the final vs. Liverpool !

agree with you

Now Really Ancelotti Must Go

ps : is and in my singature

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
When did you two start becoming dissatisfied with Carletto? I'm not asking to antagonize you; just curious.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As soon as he took the job.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
So what is it you have against Ancelotti? Aren't u AT LEAST should be grateful for the 03 CL, 03 Copa Italia and 04 scudetto? You dislike a coach as soon as he took up the job without giving him a chance? It's ridiculous.

Please don't tell me that he should've won more since regardless of how many trophies that he could or had actually won with Milan, you still want him out. So, please tell us, what is it you have against Ancelotti.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gaizka22 said:
So what is it you have against Ancelotti? Aren't u AT LEAST should be grateful for the 03 CL, 03 Copa Italia and 04 scudetto? You dislike a coach as soon as he took up the job without giving him a chance? It's ridiculous.

Please don't tell me that he should've won more since regardless of how many trophies that he could or had actually won with Milan, you still want him out. So, please tell us, what is it you have against Ancelotti.

Juve with him was NOTHING special, same case with Milan.
Look at Cappelo's Juve now!
Of course he should've won more trophies with the team he has at his disposal being together for so long it's un-understandble that we aren't perfoming better, but worst!
He ain't a motivator, and that for me is the most important part of coaching
a great side as A.C.M is.
I don't know how many terrible tactic theories and bad matches does Carlo has to have for you to not keep on defending him.

By the way, it's not ridiculous to not have the same opinion !

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
YUGOSLAVIAN said:
Juve with him was NOTHING special, same case with Milan.
Look at Cappelo's Juve now!
Of course he should've won more trophies with the team he has at his disposal being together for so long it's un-understandble that we aren't perfoming better, but worst!
He ain't a motivator, and that for me is the most important part of coaching
a great side as A.C.M is.
I don't know how many terrible tactic theories and bad matches does Carlo has to have for you to not keep on defending him.

By the way, it's not ridiculous to not have the same opinion !

This is what I like about debating with YUGO, he's always on-line the same time with me :D

I don't know why you brought his time with Juve into discussion. Maybe trying to cite his past experiences. Talking about past experience, when Sacchi came to Milan, he was nothing with Parma (his former team if not mistaken) and so did Capello (i forgot what he done before coaching Milan except being a temporary coach for Milan when Niels Liedholm was fired before Sacchi came). But look what they won.

Like I said, regardless of how many trophies he won for Milan, you would still want him out. So discussion of his achievements with Milan is invalid because you still want him out. You didn't like him since the 1st day he became Milan coach. What did he do before he came as Milan coach that made you hate him so much and unwilling to give him a chance. That's all I wanna know.

And I'm not defending him. If he has to go, then off he goes, but not in the middle of a season. I cited this in my previous post.

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
YUGOSLAVIAN, Ancelotti is still among the best tacticians of all time.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
milanist said:
Ancelotti is still among the best tacticians of all time.
Thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You may like him, you may even think he knows his tactics, but to say he is one of the best ever is such an exageratation that it devalidates what you are trying to say :o

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's one of the best right now but he's still too stubborn and he's not that good in changing tactics during the match. His substitutions are mediocre.

And I hope to see him use his 4-5-1 more often.

He'll still have to leave in the next couple of years though, to avoid complacency.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gaizka22 said:
This is what I like about debating with YUGO, he's always on-line the same time with me :D

I don't know why you brought his time with Juve into discussion. Maybe trying to cite his past experiences. Talking about past experience, when Sacchi came to Milan, he was nothing with Parma (his former team if not mistaken) and so did Capello (i forgot what he done before coaching Milan except being a temporary coach for Milan when Niels Liedholm was fired before Sacchi came). But look what they won.

Like I said, regardless of how many trophies he won for Milan, you would still want him out. So discussion of his achievements with Milan is invalid because you still want him out. You didn't like him since the 1st day he became Milan coach. What did he do before he came as Milan coach that made you hate him so much and unwilling to give him a chance. That's all I wanna know.

And I'm not defending him. If he has to go, then off he goes, but not in the middle of a season. I cited this in my previous post.

I think I've said it pretty much in my previous post but it seems that
you misunderstood it ;).
Coaches experiances always counts, that's how you choose a coach, which is by lookin at his past resumee.
Yes Sacchi wasn't so great, but when he took over Milan it was another story, and he has also definetely proved his quality when he was the manager of Azzurri team! Carlo didn't do much, that other average coaches wouldn't have done with this type of talent in the club.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
milanist said:
YUGOSLAVIAN, Ancelotti is still among the best tacticians of all time.

* pihh *

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lo Tsar said:
Thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You may like him, you may even think he knows his tactics, but to say he is one of the best ever is such an exageratation that it devalidates what you are trying to say :o
YUGOSLAVIAN said:
And your arguments are...?

Last edited: