Fernando Carlos Redondo

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
Croatian Soccer Site www.Nogomet.com just got a article about Redondo, so I'm gonna try to translate it as best as I can.
Here it is :

Argentinski nogometaš Fernando Redondo, koji je u danima svoje najveće slave igrao za madridski Real, odlučio je završiti karijeru u 35. godini, tvrdi španjolski dnevnik Marca.
Šest mjeseci nakon što je napustio Milan Redondo je odlučio prekinuti karijeru, iako je imao dosta ponuda, poglavito od španjolskih klubova.
"Nakon majice Real Madrida teško je obući neku drugu u Španjolskoj", kazao je Redondo, koji je odigrao 29 utakmica za Argentinu, a s Realom je osvajao naslove europskog prvaka 1998. i 2000.
Redondu je karijera uništena brojnim ozljedama, pogotovu nakon što ga je Real prodao u Milan za 11.4 milijuna USD. U Milanu se odmah ozlijedio, a prvu utakmicu za novi klub odigrao je tek nakon dvije godine, da bi u međuvremenu za "milaneze" nastupio u tek osam utakmica.
Argentinac je objavio kako će se trajno naseliti u Madridu, gdje će raditi kao sportski menađer.

After his glorius days in Real Madrid jersey, Argentinian Fernando Redondo has decided to finish his career at the age of 35.
After he left Milan 6 months ago, he has received a lot of offers to continue his career, especially from Spanish clubs.

"It's hard to wear other jersey that Real Madrids in Spain", he said.
He played in 29 games for Argentina and took 2 CL cups with Real Madrid in 1998 and 2000.

His career was screwed with lot of injuries, especially after Real sold him to A.C.M for 11.4$. As soon as he joined Milan, he got injured.
Redondos first game for Milan came after 2 long years, and he only played in 8 of the games for the club.
Argentinian said that he will move to Madrid where he will become a sport manager.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Did anybody see Redondo playing for that "Fight Against Poverty" game at the Bernabeu organized by Zidane and Ronaldo? It was so great to see him playing again, especially in front of the crowd who adored him so much.

The game was entertaining, despite of the bomb threat few days earlier/ Almost all Real quads were there plus several stelar names such as Rosicky, Panucci, Tristan, Kohler, Mauro Silva, Canizares. There were also other players from German league. And other non soccer related names such Michael Scumacher (he was good!), Carlos Sainz the spanish rally champion (he scored a penalty). Most interesting is to see former Real heroes such as Butragueno, Suker and Mihajlovic. The game ended 4-4.

Interestingly, there was no Barca player invited!

newyorker

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
Did anybody see Redondo playing for that "Fight Against Poverty" game at the Bernabeu organized by Zidane and Ronaldo? It was so great to see him playing again, especially in front of the crowd who adored him so much.

The game was entertaining, despite of the bomb threat few days earlier/ Almost all Real quads were there plus several stelar names such as Rosicky, Panucci, Tristan, Kohler, Mauro Silva, Canizares. There were also other players from German league. And other non soccer related names such Michael Scumacher (he was good!), Carlos Sainz the spanish rally champion (he scored a penalty). Most interesting is to see former Real heroes such as Butragueno, Suker and Mihajlovic. The game ended 4-4.

Interestingly, there was no Barca player invited!

You meant Mijatovic (i hope i spell it right)

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
DonippoRuiShevdini said:
I am surprised a Premiership side didn't pick him up.

Did anyone call Bolton to let them know ghe was available ;)

redondo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona, Rivera, Redondo, Baresi, Riquelme, Aimar, Lucho, Mascherano, Tevez, Maxi, Pupi, Rosales
FERNANDO "EL PRINCIPE" REDONDO hidden

Idols: Bochini, Falcão
Worst game: Argentina 0 - 5 Colombia (classification game for World Cup 1994)
Sign: Gemini
Wedding: Got married in 1992 to Natalia Solari (Santiago Solari's sister and Jorge Solari's daughter)
Children: Fernando (1994), Luciana (1998)
Spanish citizenship: Obtained on the 03.10.1996
Car: Ferrari, Bentley
Food: La pasta
Eating habits: Eats 4 times a day
Drink: Champagne & Cognac (however rarely since he doesn't like alchol that much)
Film: Mission Impossible
Actor: Robert De Niro
Actress: Madeline Stowe
Writters: Borges, Mario Benedetti, Garcia Márquez
Book: "El hombre mediocre" by José Ingenieros
Painter: Juan Lazcano
Hobby: Reading Italian fashion magazines and dramatical books, paint, collecting watches
A good cause: Fight against drogs
Sleeping habits: 9 hours of sleep
Personal training habits: 300-400 sit ups a day

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if I should post it here or in the Milan history thread...

Sorry for the Madridista video, but actualy there's no video of Redondo playing for us. And if this video exist, he wouldn't be fair to his quality, cause this guy barely played for us, he was decimated by injuries while playing here for 4 seasons until the end of his career.

Anyway, a football legend and one Milan fans should respect, even if he is on the "could have been great with us" hall.

A class player, an amazing quality, bravery, intelligence. He could do anything on the field.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
i remember when he came back for a few games...in coppa italia...in 03 or 04 maybe?

fantastic player..such class.....painfully obvious even in his few appearances for us.

the world would be a very different place if he didnt get injured....

rui costa and redondo in the same midfield...... :eek:

milan-fernando-redondo.jpg

Last edited:

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
@Congo

He is great.. i like him alot...
Sadly he prefer RM instead of Milan.. coz Milan made a offer to get him from Tenerife or something.. and Valdano convinced him to go to Madrid.

so i think a midfield with Redondo-Boban-Desailly-Albertini would be even more fantastic. :)

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
Redondo :proud: still remember his first debut with us, being a substitute against Roma....
to bad he spent most of his short years with Milan injured ..
Still a classy player

Fiero

Reaction score
Redondo! :proud:

29677534.20040530ACMilanIMG_6192.jpg

I know most people already know this, but to hear him talk about it is tears worthy :proud: Redondo could be summed up in one word: CLASS. Same as Rui Costa... this is the type of players that truly BELONG to AC Milan.

Is it true you asked Milan not to pay you while you were injured?

Yes. It didn't seem fair. They had signed me to play football and though it wasn't my fault I felt I was letting them down, taking money under false pretences.

What did you hate most about being injured - apart from the obvious?

For one thing, I couldn't stand watching football on television. I watched Milan's matches but that was really hard. That's why I want to make up now for lost time.

Link to the full interview, definitely worth a read.

ALSO:

"Redondo had the good grace to suspend his £2.74m-a-year salary, and even tried to give back the house and car that his new employers had given him, though they turned him down. Eventually Redondo recovered, even helping the Rossoneri to the 2003 Champions League crown."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/feb/13/theknowledge.sport

:proud:

Too classy for words. Both Milan and Redondo are soooooo class. We were made for each other... shame about the injuries.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Yeah he is class, can we change his middle name from carlos to "class" please
Off Topic
He was great but I dont mind players taking money when they are injured if they got injured while playing for te club because teir lifetime as a player is very less and they cant do much without their pay

Not talking about megastars talking about players in lower clubs .... i heard there are many players playing for weekly and monthly wages.. think about them getting injured

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Kuzimoto

Forza Milan!!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ivan Gattuso, BOATENG, Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, Dida, Pippo, Pato, Borri, Silva, Ibra, Cassano
Redondo along with Crespo and others went to India

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

bacon d'or

Milan Legend
Reaction score
redondo is playing for madrid legend now, still showing his class touch

and colina, that colina, is the referee
omg miss him sooo much

7_Sheva

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Too many...
redondo is playing for madrid legend now, still showing his class touch

and colina, that colina, is the referee
omg miss him sooo much

Really? Can you post a link pls?
Its really a sad story that he had so many injuries especially with us.:(

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Fernando Redondo, la massima espressione del ruolo del regista di centrocampo. Senza nulla togliere ad altri straordinari campioni ma nell'interpretazione di questo ruolo l'argentino aveva un qualcosa in piu', questo certamente non vuole sminuire nessuno. Il regista in una squadra ? quel giocatore che ha piu' responsabilita', ha le chiavi del centrocampo in mano e quindi ha le chiavi della squadra. Deve dare i tempi, sapere quando alzare il ritmo o quando abbassarlo, i suoi movimenti sono sempre ad elastico, passi avanti indietro a destra e sinistra, di continuo. Per cui quando qualcuno diceva che Redondo era lento e non correva ci viene da ridere. Correre in questo modo ? forse anche piu' stancante di chi si fa la fascia. Redondo era un calciatore che non guardava mai il pallone, giocava sempre rigorosamente a testa alta, e sapeva gia' in anticipo la "mossa" che doveva fare. Velocita' di pensiero, una qualita' che non hanno tutti. Toccava il pallone con una classe immensa, e per via delle sue movenze veniva chiamato "El Principe". Ma Redondo era uno che sapeva anche sradicarti via il pallone tra i piedi, sempre con la stessa eleganza di movimento. Una vera tristezza che un giocatore del genere abbia smesso di giocare tanto presto. Lo possiamo catalogare nella categoria dei grandi rimpianti calcistici insieme a Marco Van Basten...se un Dio del calcio esiste, ci deve rendere conto di questi due fuoriclasse. Oggi compie 46 anni... tantissimi auguri a Fernando Redondo...El Principe indimenticabile!!!

10362636_683650978406993_1550421147624322260_n.jpg

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
best dm ever.. a shame that he came all 'brokedown' for us.

Well technically he got injured after he came here...and then Milan decided to create MilanLab because of this :fp:(oh the irony :D)
Wish he didn't get injured...he would have spared me all those years of having to watching Pirlo

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
Well technically he got injured after he came here...and then Milan decided to create MilanLab because of this :fp:(oh the irony :D)
Wish he didn't get injured...he would have spared me all those years of having to watching Pirlo

imo he came broke to us.
milan and juve offered more for him.. but valdano sadly convinced him to join madrid.

and about pirlo.. u just mad coz he leave us.;)

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Was he always trying to dribble like this ?

I'm pretty sure it turned out bad a few times.

From what I heard about him , I expected more key passes in the videos.

Maldiniac

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
pretty sure he was a good dribbler, with some elegant tricks here and there.

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
imo he came broke to us.
milan and juve offered more for him.. but valdano sadly convinced him to join madrid.

and about pirlo.. u just mad coz he leave us.;)

I only meant he wasn't injured when we bought him...I doubt Madrid sold him without letting him know he was injured
Yeah I heard that we were close to him in the early 90s...shame we couldn't get him...at least he didn't join the Gobbi :D

Nah...never really cared for him...and post-2007 he was awful and was glad to finally see him go away in 2011
If he was faster and was more mobile I would have liked him in Seedorf's spot but in DM position for all the good things he brought his negatives were just too much...every time he got under pressure I was afraid he would lose the ball because of how bad he was under pressure

But even if I liked Pirlo...I would prefer Fernando to him anyday

Last edited: