Gli Azzurri - La Nazionale, Italy National Football Team

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Does anyone remember confederations cup 1997?

Italy vs. Brazil - game ended 3-3. It's one of the best games I've ever seen.

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona

It was Turnoi De France.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Yep, one of the best matches I ever seen. I have been looking for a torrent of that match cause I lose the tape.

That was a hell of a Brazil team back then. Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Romario and Italy was no slouch as well Maldini, Cannavaro, Del Piero

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yeah it was something "pre-wc 98". when did they start calling it confed cup then? or am i totally mixing things here?

That was just some pre WC tournament. They had a confederation cup that year in December.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
didn't watch a single match of the last confed cup.

highlights only... i don't wake up for the fake world cup :p

you misses a beautiful Pirlo to Rossi goal.

but it is valuable for Italy because it isnt an important tournament. It should give them a chance to get some of their peripheral players (guys like Giovinco, Borrini, Astori, etc) playing time in a tournament situation which gives Prandelli a chance to see what those guys bring to the table so he has a better idea when putting together his WC roster

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Cassano - Rossi
Montolivo
Nocerino - Pirlo - De Rossi
Balza - Barzagli - Acerbi - Abate
Buffon

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
I'm proud of this Italy and I didn't expect them to make it out of the group before the first match. I really hope Prandelli doesn't resign. Apart from subbing Monty for T. Motta he hasn't put a foot wrong.

Spain is on another planet right now.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
They made it further than I thought they would. and played well up until the final.

Hopefully Italy will use qualifiers and the ConFed cup to integrate some fresh blood into the NT

The next WC will likely be the last tournament for Buffon and Pirlo, and possibly Cassano, De Rossi, etc.

On the plus side, Italy have a number of younger players that have shown some promise that should hopefully get a chance to show what they can do in Serie A and with the NT. They include-

GK-
Sirigu
Viviano
Consigli

Def-
Astori
Acerbi
Ogbonna
Bocchetti
Romagnoli
Camporesi
De Sciglio
Faraone

Mid-
Poli
Cigarini
Marrone
Verratti
Schelleto

Forward-
Borrini
Destro
El Sha
Immobile
Gabbiadini

all of whom have shown something, and can hopefully get worked in.

Guessing the 2014 WC lineup-

-------------Buffon--------------
--Abate--Astori--Cheillini--Criscito--
---De Rossi---Pirlo---Marchisio-------
-------------El Shaarawy------------
---------Rossi------------Balotelli------

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm proud of this Italy and I didn't expect them to make it out of the group before the first match. I really hope Prandelli doesn't resign. Apart from subbing Monty for T. Motta he hasn't put a foot wrong.

Spain is on another planet right now.

I do not think that Spain in another planet; however, I think that Italy played too open plus the one deficient aspect of Italy's scheme was made too obvious by Spain. When Motta came, I understood that Prandelli wanted to help his defense and midfield containing Spain offense; however, in the same token it made the possibility of Italy to come back near zero. Italy needs an infusion of youth in midfield and the definitive consolidation of the four in the back (Chielini should be an starter CB not LB)

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
They made it further than I thought they would. and played well up until the final.

Hopefully Italy will use qualifiers and the ConFed cup to integrate some fresh blood into the NT

The next WC will likely be the last tournament for Buffon and Pirlo, and possibly Cassano, De Rossi, etc.

On the plus side, Italy have a number of younger players that have shown some promise that should hopefully get a chance to show what they can do in Serie A and with the NT. They include-

GK-
Sirigu
Viviano
Consigli

Def-
Astori
Acerbi
Ogbonna
Bocchetti
Romagnoli
Camporesi
De Sciglio
Faraone

Mid-
Poli
Cigarini
Marrone
Verratti
Schelleto

Forward-
Borrini
Destro
El Sha
Immobile
Gabbiadini

all of whom have shown something, and can hopefully get worked in.

Guessing the 2014 WC lineup-

-------------Buffon--------------
--Abate--Astori--Cheillini--Criscito--
---De Rossi---Pirlo---Marchisio-------
-------------El Shaarawy------------
---------Rossi------------Balotelli------

We have a host of wonderful players coming through the junior ranks. Within the next 6-10 years, Italy could potentially build an irrevocable force of a team -- given that we continue to lay the foundations and have the desire, determination and eagerness to continue Prandelli's vision.

So proud of Gli Azzurri!... A new page has been turned in our history!

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
he could certainly be a piece as well

acerвιc wιт;1402282 said:
We have a host of wonderful players coming through the junior ranks. Within the next 6-10 years, Italy could potentially build an irrevocable force of a team -- given that we continue to lay the foundations and have the desire, determination and eagerness to continue Prandelli's vision.

So proud of Gli Azzurri!... A new page has been turned in our history!

the big issue is that those players need to be developed. the last generation of Italians could have been great as well (Gilla, Rosina, Brighi, etc) but didnt reach there potential in large part due to poor development.

those young players need to get game time and Italy needs to figure out a reserve system so they can get playing time against grown men, plus it will improve the quality of Serie A by improving the backups

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Send them all to Zeman and it will be fine

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
he could certainly be a piece as well

the big issue is that those players need to be developed. the last generation of Italians could have been great as well (Gilla, Rosina, Brighi, etc) but didnt reach there potential in large part due to poor development.

those young players need to get game time and Italy needs to figure out a reserve system so they can get playing time against grown men, plus it will improve the quality of Serie A by improving the backups

Exactly. They need to be developed in the right way. It looks as though steps are being taken into improving the way we develop and nurture young players within Italy. We can't be solemnly satisfied with Italy's achievements this tournament if we don't take onus and build upon the success of the past month.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Looking forward to friendly v England on 15th August.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Proud of :star: Italia :star:

kntjp.jpg

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
other young players Italy apparently has that have some quality-
Alessandro Crescenzi, Bari, on loan from Roma. played well in Serie B last year at 20, hopefully Roma brings him back

Marco Capuano, CB, Pescara. starter for Zeman, only 20, should get a chance in Serie A this season

Alessandro Florenzi, has anyone seen him play? midfielder on loan from Roma to Crotone is Serie B, and had 11 goals in 35 games. maybe a trequista?

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
I'm so sad. Congrats to Spain. Fully deserved. Fuck them lol. I am so proud of my country for making it this far. :proud: They really exceeded my expectations. Although Prandelli DID make a few questionable subs (Motta for Montolivo? Really?) I have full faith in him and I am really looking forward to Brasil 2014. :)

That being said, I can't wait for Milan to come back into my life. <3

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Pirlo: 'I can talk to Balotelli'
By Football Italia staff

Andrea Pirlo reveals he’d “bring Mario Balotelli to Juventus straight away. I know how to talk to him – in Brescia dialect!”

The midfielder was asked on Sky Sport Italia whether he’d support recent rumours Juve are interested in signing Manchester City hitman Balotelli.

“I’d bring Balotelli to Juventus straight away. We have had no problems and I know how to talk to him,” said Pirlo.

“We are both from Brescia and when we are playing for Italy we speak in a tight Brescia dialect.”

Curiously, Pirlo, Balotelli and Coach Cesare Prandelli are all from Brescia.

“There has been no problem dealing with him in the locker room. People need to be close to Balotelli, but at Euro 2012 he behaved very well. I’d happily have him as my teammate in Turin.”

The 33-year-old midfielder was Italy’s star of the tournament and is already looking ahead to the next challenge.

“I hope to have the strength to reach the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.”

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

:proud::proud::thumbsup:

I have seen that in tv years and years ago .. god i am so old

I didnt know cesare was paolos dad :lol:

bald heads vs hair :D

Last edited:

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Some evidence of why development is so important and talent only goes so far-
Calcio Debate: Azzurri Set For Golden Age?
May 30. 2008
Last night the Italy Under-21 side won the Toulon Tournament after beating Chile 1-0 in the final. Carlo Garganese believes that a new golden generation of Italian youngsters are coming through…

Having watched every one of the Azzurrini’s games during the 2008 Toulon Tournament in France, I can safely say that the future looks very bright for the senior Italy national team.

Some question marks have been raised about Roberto Donadoni’s 23 men that will travel to Euro 2008. The squad is in fact the oldest of all 16 teams participating, with an average age of 29.57. Eight of the first XI are over the age of 30, including the entire back five, Gianluigi Buffon included. While at Euro 2008, this experience, as it was in Germany at 2006, could be invaluable, it is quite clear that much of this team will have to be broken up and rebuilt come South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014.

Fortunately, the youngsters coming through are possibly the best that Italy have had in years. Pierluigi Casiraghi’s Under-21s were hugely impressive in winning the Toulon Tournament, with most of the squad making a big impact.

Empoli’s Davide Bassi was commanding throughout the festival, and was named goalkeeper of the tournament. Marco Motta and Lorenzo De Silvestri both suggested that they have Azzurri futures ahead of them by impressing in the full back positions, while the likes of Andrea Coda, Lino Marzorati and Salvatore Bocchetti were mean in defence. All in all the Azzurrini conceded just one goal in five games and 450 minutes of football – pretty remarkable stuff.

The strength of depth that the Azzurini had at their disposal was apparent in midfield as Casiraghi rotated in almost every game, with Antonio Nocerino, Daniele Galloppa, Luca Cigarini, Daniele Dessena, Claudio Marchisio, Ignazio Abate, Tiberio Guarente, and Antonio Candreva all impressing at various times. Nocerino, as the captain, showed real leadership qualities throughout, displaying the kind of form that won so many admirers in the first half of the season for Juventus. Parma duo Cigarini and Dessena will surely not stay in Serie B next season, and the latter provided a brilliant pass for Pablo Osvaldo’s winner in the final. Marchisio scored a contender for goal of the tournament with a stunning left foot half volley from 30 yards against Turkey.

Candreva displayed all the confidence in the world by executing a Francesco Totti/ Antonin Panenka-like spoon penalty in the shootout against Japan. Guarente meanwhile hit the post in the final after lobbing the Chilean goalkeeper from the half way line. Finally of course there is winger Abate, co-owned by Milan, and a quite explosive talent, with blistering pace and quick movements. Against Japan, the 21-year-old went on a solo run, beating three men and running the whole length of the field, before firing wide.

And so on to the forward positions. First of all lets remove Graziano Pelle from the equation, who is perhaps the worst player I have ever seen represent Italy at any level of football. Indeed this Under-21 side reminded me of the Brazil 1982 World Cup team, who had a host of legends such as Zico, Falcao and Socrates, but were unfortunately left down by a lumbering frontman called Serginho, who was completely out of his depth.

Pablo Osvaldo had a generally quiet tournament until he exploded into life in the final, scoring the winner in a man-of-the-match performance. The 22-year-old’s bicycle kick on the final day of the season that booked Fiorentina’s place in the Champions League is a sign of his potential. Davide Lanzafame certainly showed that with the right training and guidance he can become a really exciting player in the years to come. The comparisons with Cristiano Ronaldo may be a little far fetched, but he certainly shares some of the explosive and exaggerated movements of the Manchester United man.

Finally of course there is Sebastian Giovinco, named player of the tournament after two goals, two assists and a host of brilliant displays. So naturally gifted, Giovinco has the potential to be one of the best players in the world in the years to come, and he is the ‘great hope’ for both club-and country.

Just how bright Italy’s future really is, can be demonstrated fully by the fact that this Azzurrini side that triumphed at Toulon was actually missing more than half of its first team players.

Villarreal’s Giuseppe Rossi and Cagliari’s Robert Acquafresca are the first choice strike force, and will be so at this summer’s Olympics Games. The usual centre back partnership is Domenico Criscito regarded by some as the eventual heir to Fabio Cannavaro, and Napoli’s Fabiano Santacroce, described by many as the next defensive phenomenon and the “new Alessandro Nesta”. Paolo De Ceglie, co-owned by Juventus, often plays at left back, and once again is another explosive prospect who can roar up-and-down the flank.

Then of course in midfield you have Riccardo Montolivo, who will be at the Olympics, having just missed out on a place at Euro 2008. One must also not forget the incredibly gifted Andrea Russotto of Treviso, who even managed to outshine Giovinco in a number of Under-21 games towards the end of 2007. Russotto has been described by some as the “new Roberto Baggio”.

Those who graduated from the Under-21s last season are also showing great promise. Michele Canini of Cagliari had a superb end to Serie A season, while Alessandro Rosina just needs to join a big club before his sky-high potential can be fulfilled. Giorgio Chiellini and Alberto Aquilani have both made it to Euro 2008, and they will surely become Italy regulars in the years to come.

The teenage brigade in Italy are said to be even more talented than those just older than them. Fernando Forestieri, and the “new Pippo Inzaghi” Alberto Paloschi, both 18, are two such examples. Then of course there is the 17-year-old wonderkid Mario Balotelli, who I am absolutely certain is a future superstar, providing he keeps his head screwed on.

While Italian club teams may be struggling in Europe for financial reasons, the same certainly cannot be said about their youth development. The high percentage of homegrown players in Serie A is clearly paying dividends, and the Italy national team could soon be entering into a new golden age.

so few of those players have made any mark at all, and a lot of it had to do with a lack of game time. Italy can hope that some of those players reach their potential later on (like a Diamanti or Barzagli) but more likely it is a lost group of talent. same goes for the 2004 U-21 Euro winners that should have been getting into their peak for 2010 and this Euro but mostly never reached what they could have become (Gilla, Rosina, Brighi, etc)

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Il ct dell'Italia Cesare Prandelli, come riferisce il sito della Figc, ha diramato le convocazioni per la partita amichevole con l'Inghilterra in programma il prossimo 15 agosto allo 'Stade de Suisse' di Berna (ore 21).

Ecco la lista completa dei convocati:

Portieri: Andrea Consigli (Atalanta), Mattia Perin (Pescara), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint Germain);
Difensori: Ignazio Abate (Milan), Francesco Acerbi (Milan), Davide Astori (Cagliari), Federico Balzaretti (Roma), Mattia De Sciglio (Milan), Daniele Gastaldello (Sampdoria), Angelo Ogbonna (Torino), Federico Peluso (Atalanta);
Centrocampisti: Alberto Aquilani (Fiorentina), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Alessandro Diamanti (Bologna), Antonio Nocerino (Milan), Andrea Poli (Sampdoria), Ezequiel Schelotto (Atalanta), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint Germain);
Attaccanti: Mario Balotelli (Manchester City), Mattia Destro (Roma), Stephan El Sharawy (Milan), Manolo Gabbiadini (Atalanta)

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
for the most part I like the callups of some of the more promising younger players to see what they have to offer

One thing I really dont like is that Gastaldello got called up and Bocchetti didnt. Bocchetti was called to the provisional squad for Euros and is a very good defender, I would have liked to see him integrated into the group

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
its only just hit me that this game is only a few days away now. Im getting quite excited about the whole thing and will be interested to see if he starts all of the young kids from the beggining.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Doesn't make sense to me for an international friendly to start a few days before the season kick off

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Prandelli: 'Good indications'
By Football Italia staff

Cesare Prandelli insisted there were “good indications” from Italy’s friendly defeat to England after giving six players their debuts.

The squad had an average age of under 25 and 12 of the players called up were uncapped for today’s 2-1 loss in Switzerland.

“Defeats are still defeats, even if they are friendlies, but they are useful because we are planning the World Cup qualifiers and I got some good indications today,” said the Coach.

This was the Azzurri’s fourth consecutive friendly defeat and came six weeks after beating England in the Euro 2012 quarter-final.

Mattia Destro was particularly impressive in attack, creating several scoring opportunities.

“Mattia did very well and I am happy, especially as it was a very special game for the strikers against a physically strong defence.

“We showed character and must continue along this path. I liked the performance,” continued Prandelli on RAI Sport.

“We have to understand which young players have the right qualities, as we have to look to the future.

“Obviously those who played at Euro 2012 will have the chance to continue, but we must also consider the future of the Nazionale.”

Naturally, Prandelli was also asked about the Italian Super Cup controversy after Napoli boycotted the presentation of the trophy to Juventus.

“Sport must unite and give emotions. We must accept whatever verdict the pitch provides with dignity and a smile.”

Schedule