European Coefficients Watch feat. Dr Galliani & co dominating the corridors of power

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
lets say that we didnt overtake england in co efficients this season- and napoli won the europa league and the league ended like this:

1- roma
2- inter
3- juve
4- fioreintina
5-napoli
6- lazio
7- Milan

which teams will be playing CL/EL the season after?

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I don't share your optimism because you thought 1 or 2 English teams were going to get knocked out and probably the 2 from Europa League as well. As of right now, all of the English teams are in very favourable positions to qualify. Even if Italians do very well in Europe, it would mean nothing if England continue doing just as good... the only way this will help Italy is if Italy continue doing well and England do really bad. The 5 Italian teams in Europe could very well qualify to the next round but the 6 English teams will as well it seems. Fiorentina and Lazio are very capable of qualifying but Italians in Europe have been abysmal for years (Fiorentina always have done reasonably well except this year though).

Roma just need to get equal points at home versus BATE to Leverkusen who will play at the Camp Nou... They should be okay. If Juventus lose at home tonight it will be extremely hard for them and they'll be under tremendous pressure to perform away to Seville in game 6. Fiorentina play away to Basel tonight, a loss could potentially eliminate them.

I don't understand why you're optimistic.

I think Arsenal may still yet exit this tournament. Their next game is in Greece, and it will be very tough. A draw puts Olympiacos through, which would most probably mean that Arsenal will go to EL, which I don't think they will deign to take seriously, if the prevailing attitude in the Prem is anything to go by.

As for Tottenham and Lpool--I hope they draw Napoli and Fiorentina. I think Napoli can take either of em, and I would fancy Fiorentina (if they make it) doing the same. I think Fiorentina will win in Switzerland tomorrow.

I think Chelsea and Man U should make it to the next round as should Man City. But I don't see Chelsea doing anything special, which leaves the two Manchester sides. I just hope Juve top the group, and City draw Barcelona or Real/PSG, or Bayern Munich.

Anyway, the point is, anything can happen obviously. I am optimistic because I see a very competitive Serie A this year, and it will show. For example, if Roma make it to the next round, they will invest in their defence in January.

Juventus do well when given space, and they get that in Europe. Napoli are sizzling, and Sarri is a conscientious manager as is Sousa. Both want to win the EL and both will take it seriously.

Let's see...Forza Italia!

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
leverkusen seem toss, shalke arent that great, wofsburg could go out yet? think in the long run we could overtake germany if bayern draw barca in the qauters

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
I think Arsenal may still yet exit this tournament. Their next game is in Greece, and it will be very tough. A draw puts Olympiacos through, which would most probably mean that Arsenal will go to EL, which I don't think they will deign to take seriously, if the prevailing attitude in the Prem is anything to go by.

As for Tottenham and Lpool--I hope they draw Napoli and Fiorentina. I think Napoli can take either of em, and I would fancy Fiorentina (if they make it) doing the same. I think Fiorentina will win in Switzerland tomorrow.

I think Chelsea and Man U should make it to the next round as should Man City. But I don't see Chelsea doing anything special, which leaves the two Manchester sides. I just hope Juve top the group, and City draw Barcelona or Real/PSG, or Bayern Munich.

Anyway, the point is, anything can happen obviously. I am optimistic because I see a very competitive Serie A this year, and it will show. For example, if Roma make it to the next round, they will invest in their defence in January.

Juventus do well when given space, and they get that in Europe. Napoli are sizzling, and Sarri is a conscientious manager as is Sousa. Both want to win the EL and both will take it seriously.

Let's see...Forza Italia!

I read it ilicic interview and he said that they would like to win scudetto much more than LE.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
I read it ilicic interview and he said that they would like to win scudetto much more than LE.

Well that's a given.

But I think they want to go as far as possible in EL--one better than last year.

Anyway, huge win for Juventus against City. I remain optimistic, even if, as HItman rightly points out, it seems silly at times. :)

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
lets say that we didnt overtake england in co efficients this season- and napoli won the europa league and the league ended like this:

1- roma
2- inter
3- juve
4- fioreintina
5-napoli
6- lazio
7- Milan

All the top 3 + napoli

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
tl;dr version?

Looking at worst/best case coefficient scenarios for Italian teams

Juve win was important

This year serie a overtaking EPL could happen

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hitman, need points update please

Tx

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
CUsMO5AWEAQOJph.png

xerazon

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
well the update isn't legit until EL is played out. we should wait for that

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Everyone, calma and wait for Hitman :)

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
If we overtake England, when it kicks in, we move back to having the maximum CL and EL spots.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

1- roma
2- inter
3- juve
4- fioreintina
5-napoli
6- lazio
7- Milan

Roma, inter, gobbi + Napoli to CL
Fiorentina + Coppa Italia winner(if already qualified then Lazio) to EL

so does that mean milan will get EL if they finish 7th?, or will italy lose an EL spot to compensate?
No. Seventh not good enough for Milan. (unless Serie A bankruptcy bingo)

(Italy's one spot will get upgraded for CL playoff spot ... where they can get back to EL like all non-Milan Serie A squads tend to do)

so that means 3rd place will get EL instead?
No. CL changed rules that one association can have 5 teams maximum in CL(with the new CL + EL winner spots). So associations that have 3 spots have nothing to worry about(even if teams below them win both CL and EL).

Last edited:

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yeh, we should do especially, as they are in the europa and have a small squad

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
England have three left in the CL and there in the EL
Italy two and three respectively..

Italy is currently 3.387 points behind England.. No more huge bonus points for this season and from Feb onwards it'll be straight knockout so the Italians will have time to recover their form and go far if they get a good draw

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
England have three left in the CL and there in the EL
Italy two and three respectively..

Italy is currently 3.387 points behind England.. No more huge bonus points for this season and from Feb onwards it'll be straight knockout so the Italians will have time to recover their form and go far if they get a good draw

:thumbsup:

My optimistic predictions came true (except Juve not finishing first).

Did you see Sosa's comments yesterday? He wants and English team. :D

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

My optimistic predictions came true (except Juve not finishing first).

Did you see Sosa's comments yesterday? He wants and English team. :D

i did see his comments and hopefully he doesn't become too cocky and just focus on taking it one game at a time. they were in a relatively easy group and had to wait until the last game of the group to qualify at home vs Belenses 1-0... they're struggling in Europe this year because they seem to be focusing on Serie A...

ideally, we could have an italian winner in the EL that would finish outside the top 3 in Serie A, that's the only way we could have 4 teams in the CL next season..

5 italian's made it through to the next round in Europe, 6 english teams have made it too... i'll repeat what i told you last time, Italians doing well is insignificant if the English continue doing well.. we need a combination of both occurring each match day if we want to overtake them this year. England has done better than Italy in Matchday 6 primarily because of the 15/8=1.875 bonus points for the 3 english teams making it to the knockouts of the CL.. Italy only got 10/6= 1.666 bonus points by match day 6.

lets see what the draw holds.

Last edited: