Europa League - Group H: Lille OSC vs AC Milan 26/11/2020 18:55 CET

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Krunic is a real waste now, I think would rather field Daniel in those minutes.
That 8 mill....so close

He's playing out of position. When we put him on, it's usually to fill up the numbers and stay compact.

I don't find him excellent or anything, but I still think he was a good value for money signing at €8m. He has maintained his resale value and is more or less an OK back-up in Serie A.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
So when Hauge isn't playing much = Pioli knows what he's doing. When Leao isn't playing much = Pioli dumbass? ook

When Leao wasn?t playing much? Lol, do you watch Milan? Leao has been active this season, also giving a lot of good crosses and passes to Ibra and other players.

You are a biased Leao hater that can’t accept that he is technically better than others attackers we have.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
He's playing out of position. When we put him on, it's usually to fill up the numbers and stay compact.

I don't find him excellent or anything, but I still think he was a good value for money signing at ?8m. He has maintained his resale value and is more or less an OK back-up in Serie A.

Yes I understand - it just seems like a waste because he does little and limits others from having experience

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Lille destroyed us last game due to poor defending as a team, Samu is needed in this game more than Diaz despite that I don?t like him.

Told you we needed Samu, I don?t like him but his characteristics were necessary for this game.

As for Krunic he is useless in any game.

Last edited:

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
So frustrating. We could have won this had we not overcomplicated it for their goal. Donna, Bennacer and Gabbia should have done better there.

The problem with Gabbia on the goal is that he's deployed as a LCB, but unfortunately he's not left-footed. Hence why it took him a second longer to turn and obtain a better angle to pass it out.

He then got caught up in Lille's high press which forced him to make a sloppy pass out to the throw in which eventually lead to the equalizer.

Aside from the mistake, I thought he had a really good game. Kept Yazici at bay until he was substituted. A reliable 4th choice option.

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Boring game, expected more involvement from hauge, he seemed scared and didnt want to risk anything, however considering he only played less than 70minutes in 3 months that is understandable.

I think this game shows we really dont have a good bench, we have good ibra, dollar, rebic, kajer, theo, benacer and kessi.

Okish calabria, gabbia, leao, hauge hakan, diaz and somehow sales.

And the rest are just not good enough to play in seria b clubs, if we really want to compete this year we need a rw, dm, cb and cf because anyone injured from the good players we are really screwed.

+1000

We are a paper thin squad when it comes to quality. Extremely paper thin. Once we miss a player or 2 our quality drops because a lot of our subs are terrible players for a team our caliber

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
Ok game with kids like hauge, colombo, dalot, tonali, gabbia... point is ok, no injuries!

Dalot cant defend... Gabbia is a solid talent, Hauge looked scared, Tonali also looks like hes not free in his head...

Its ok. Now Viola and thats important!

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
One of the "downsides" (note the "" pls) of having iBra is that the growth of the younger players wouldn't be as rapid. Of course this would be compensated for by iBra's production.

Leao and Hague have a lot more shit games to get out of their system before they're legit stars.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
Wanted to win today. Always felt the result at the San Siro was somewhat unfair.

Bennacer is such a pleasure to watch. Tonali was careless at times, but that pass was awesome. Really like the kid and excited for his growth.

Dalot was meh, Calha not the one we are used to seeing in recent weeks.

On the contrary to what some have posted here, I think today’s game proved that we have options. Players got rest and we got a decent result. We don’t have enough depth to negotiate a season of CL and Serie A, but we can do ok until Jan in the two competitions we are taking seriously.

We have a limited budget, and we’re growing. I don’t expect miracles and infallibility.

tschief

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Wanted to win today. Always felt the result at the San Siro was somewhat unfair.

Bennacer is such a pleasure to watch. Tonali was careless at times, but that pass was awesome. Really like the kid and excited for his growth.

Dalot was meh, Calha not the one we are used to seeing in recent weeks.

On the contrary to what some have posted here, I think today?s game proved that we have options. Players got rest and we got a decent result. We don?t have enough depth to negotiate a season of CL and Serie A, but we can do ok until Jan in the two competitions we are taking seriously.

We have a limited budget, and we?re growing. I don?t expect miracles and infallibility.

+1, absolutely my opinion..

also, dont forget that this lille is 2nd in french league and could be compared to napoli/inter/atalanta in power level.

if you look at it neutrally this match couldve gone either way (but chances of us winning it were higher) - and now imagine leao or ibra (unlucky that both are out atm).

so even our secondary squad is able to compete with strong opponents (not real madrid strong but strong enough to compete with other top 4 contenders in serie a)

for me this match was a huge positive.. ofc we still need to get a lot more depth come winter, but until then we can surely manage like this in serie a and EL

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Gabbia vs Lille:

6 tackles
2 blocks
5 aerials won
103 passes

If he didn’t make that dumb mistake he could easily have been the player I would see as man of the match. He was winning more defensive duels than in other games and than Kjaer, but the kid didn’t help himself with some dumb passes.

This game will serve for improvement, let the kid grow.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Conceded one goal against a really good team and they honestly didn’t have many dangerous chances. You can only say they should/could have scored one additional goal off of Tonali’s mistake.

Lille put us under constant pressure the entire match and we didn’t have our reference point up top in Ibra or Leao. I think we have to give Lille credit and our squad as well. Our two best players- Kessie and Ibra- did not play and we were missing Romagnoli and Calabria.

Personally, I think it was a good performance under the circumstances and that should prove a valuable point in seeing us through to the KO round.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Man Kjaer had a poor game (including the moment with Yazici despite that he wasnt involded in any error.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
One of the "downsides" (note the "" pls) of having iBra is that the growth of the younger players wouldn't be as rapid. Of course this would be compensated for by iBra's production.

Leao and Hague have a lot more shit games to get out of their system before they're legit stars.

El Shaarawy exploded after Ibra left, so it can happen with others but for now we need Ibra.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Conceded one goal against a really good team and they honestly didn?t have many dangerous chances. You can only say they should/could have scored one additional goal off of Tonali?s mistake.

Lille put us under constant pressure the entire match and we didn?t have our reference point up top in Ibra or Leao. I think we have to give Lille credit and our squad as well. Our two best players- Kessie and Ibra- did not play and we were missing Romagnoli and Calabria.

Personally, I think it was a good performance under the circumstances and that should prove a valuable point in seeing us through to the KO round.

Romagnoli wasn't missed, but I was thinking about Calabria. I think we'd have done much better with him.

ACMILANMKD

Con il Diavolo in Corpo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boban, Oliver Bierhoff, Weah, Sheva, Van Basten
I think that Lille is likely the most organised team we played against this season. Better organised than Inter .
So considering that we played without Ibra , Kessie ,Leao - I find this result not a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trillske

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Did the statistics reflect the game? (e.g. 13 - 4 shots to Lille)

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
Tonali besides the great through pass has some serious positional issues... when he goes and closes down an opposition he often leaves a huge gap that lillle exposed immediately.... that’s why we appeared to be back tracking so often after he misplaced a pass or makes an attempt to follow an opponent in wide areas. He needs to coordinate better with his nearest teammates on this.

Rebic so obviously played out of position and you can see his instinct was to stray to wide positions to receive the ball.... leaving us with no proper no9 in the box, hence our lack of meaningful possession in danger areas. We had no one to do effective hold up play.

Hakan was poor and looked void of ideas and inspiration...
With all the hype surrounding him in recent months post Covid, we needed him to step up here. I watched glimpses of the Turkey vs Hungary match and he was also poor... with matches coming thick and fast this is alarming.

The rest did fine without truly impressing... if had to choose maybe Theo had a more effective game.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
when he goes and closes down an opposition he often leaves a huge gap that lillle exposed immediately....

anytime a player presses they leave behind him space to be exploited. this is why sweepers(libero) and half backs existed.

His issue compared to someone like Kessie is that Tonali often does not win the ball. His tackling needs work, he will gain strength with time. still has many years for natural physical growth

ToonInvader

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi
I thought this was a particularly poor performance tbf. There's no need to be overly pessimistic or anything but a great deal of what we do on the pitch just does not add up into a visibly functioning, efficacious play. Like, a lot happens on the pitch (a lot of running etc.) but out of 10 passes that are not just between bennacer-kjaer-gabbia or from one full back up to the other, at least half of those passes or moves are either aimless long balls or missed short passes between ill-positioned players. The link-up play between the defensive mid and the attacking midfield is really poor. And it has been like since, well, a very long time.

Hypothesis: when we play well it seems like we're playing an actual 4-4-2 with the AM gravitating around Zlatan to provide the last passe or be in a shooting position opened up by Zlatan himself playing the pivot.

Our wingers don't cut inside and shoot as you'd see in a 4-2-3-1. A great deal of our direct attacking plays comes either from direct crosses or vertical runs with short, last-minute passes in the box. Rebic does not cut inside, Leao does a bit more but mostly in counter-attacks and Castillejo tries a lot but fails

I fail to see (I might be wrong) that we're actually using the system of a 4-2-3-1. We clearly do in non-possession phases (even there we're closer to a 4-4-1-1)

I feel like an effective 4-2-3-1 needs a lot of action from the AM in the center of the pitch, dictating the tempo etc. My impression is that TCHALA' either plays too close to the midfield line or too close to the CF. I don't see any AM acting like an AM.

I might be wrong but I don't see us using all the resources of a 4-2-3-1.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I thought this was a particularly poor performance tbf. There's no need to be overly pessimistic or anything but a great deal of what we do on the pitch just does not add up into a visibly functioning, efficacious play. Like, a lot happens on the pitch (a lot of running etc.) but out of 10 passes that are not just between bennacer-kjaer-gabbia or from one full back up to the other, at least half of those passes or moves are either aimless long balls or missed short passes between ill-positioned players. The link-up play between the defensive mid and the attacking midfield is really poor. And it has been like since, well, a very long time.

Hypothesis: when we play well it seems like we're playing an actual 4-4-2 with the AM gravitating around Zlatan to provide the last passe or be in a shooting position opened up by Zlatan himself playing the pivot.

Our wingers don't cut inside and shoot as you'd see in a 4-2-3-1. A great deal of our direct attacking plays comes either from direct crosses or vertical runs with short, last-minute passes in the box. Rebic does not cut inside, Leao does a bit more but mostly in counter-attacks and Castillejo tries a lot but fails

I fail to see (I might be wrong) that we're actually using the system of a 4-2-3-1. We clearly do in non-possession phases (even there we're closer to a 4-4-1-1)

I feel like an effective 4-2-3-1 needs a lot of action from the AM in the center of the pitch, dictating the tempo etc. My impression is that TCHALA' either plays too close to the midfield line or too close to the CF. I don't see any AM acting like an AM.

I might be wrong but I don't see us using all the resources of a 4-2-3-1.

The Lille game was an exception. We played closer to a 343 in possession, probably to leave a fast defender (Dalot) next to Kjaer to avoid having him be exposed on the break. It sort of worked defensively but the fact that Dalot barely crossed the halfway line meant we're a lot more predictable. Hakan played mostly on the right to compensate, which left gaps in the middle and no one to pass to.

Also without Ibra we had no easy outball so we kept passing it around in the back waiting for an opening that never really happened.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo

Schedule