• Lucas Biglia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dsav

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
acerвιc wιт;1473555 said:
Milan should deploy a 4-2-3-1 formation. It provides great balance and works to our strengths, particularly securing the defence.

Exactly:thumbsup:, We can still attack strongly and not be left vulnerable on the defensive end for counter attacks.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
acerвιc wιт;1473555 said:
Milan should deploy a 4-2-3-1 formation. It provides great balance and works to our strengths, particularly securing the defence.

I agree, but we'll need Kaka or another quality CAM for that.

But I think Montolivo as the CAM and Muntari + one of our box-to-box in double pivot will do against smaller teams.

We actually used or looked like using it in parts of the second half against Samp, with Constant-Flamini in double pivot, Urby-Monto-Boateng and Pazzini up top. And it looked pretty good. Better than the 4-3-3 with false nine at least.

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
We have six strikers. Only three of our midfielders are worthy starters. We've got all reasons to go for a 4-3-3.

Allegri has more options in attack, but I really can't like other midfield trio rather than De Jong, Montolivo and Boateng.

Even though I like Prince playing as an AM, I think he's currently more needed in center-midfield, as we're clearly short of quality there. I think he might not be as good as a CM as he is when playing as an AM, but I think that change will benefit Milan as a team even if it doesn't benefit Boateng individually.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
flamini is going to play Noce role with allegri .. he is not going to stay back .. he is clearly unfit .. I dont have any excuses for him but when

--monty --ambro --dejong---

is going to be good for 60 minutes in cl :thumbsup:

Tidalwave

Shredder
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka' #22, Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Sheva, Ibra, Balotelli, De Rossi, Montolivo.
Realistic starting XI:

4-3-3

Robinho/El Shaarawy - Pazzini - Bojan

Montolivo - De Jong - Prince

Antonini/Constant - Mexes - Zapata/Acerbi - Abate/De Sciglio

Abbiati/Gabriel​

No more headless chicken :star:
Scudetto 19 here we come :cool:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
A2pqlQpCcAAoMxz.jpg

The 3rd formation there is what I really think would work very well with the players we have. Double pivot of Montolivo and De Jong. Boateng as the CAM, Robinho and Bojan the wing AMs, and Pazzini the lone striker.

Fiero

Reaction score
This team needs to play on counter attacks, it's pretty obvious. The patient possession based game was perfect when we had players able to split defenses with a pass... Ibra, Pirlo, Seedorf, Aquilani, Cassano. Now it makes no sense. Dwelling on the ball allows the opponents to get positioned and limit any space, while our midfielders are uncreative and unable to create something out of nothing.

All the possession in the world isn't going to do us much good now. What we need to do is 'invite the opponents' to take the ball and then hit on fast counters. We have the players for that... Emanuelson, Robinho, Boateng... they're all fast as hell and good dribblers.

Our defense is solid enough to hold it's own, we need a double pivot of De Jong and Montolivo to be the brains of the team... especially Monto, he could unleash counters on the wing to Emanuelson and Robinho with Pazzini waiting in the box.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
A2pqlQpCcAAoMxz.jpg

The 3rd formation there is what I really think would work very well with the players we have. Double pivot of Montolivo and De Jong. Boateng as the CAM, Robinho and Bojan the wing AMs, and Pazzini the lone striker.
third formation looks good. tho i'd prefer Urby to start on the left.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
I think we will be aphrodisiac with 4-3-1-2 formation :star:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
This team needs to play on counter attacks, it's pretty obvious. The patient possession based game was perfect when we had players able to split defenses with a pass... Ibra, Pirlo, Seedorf, Aquilani, Cassano. Now it makes no sense. Dwelling on the ball allows the opponents to get positioned and limit any space, while our midfielders are uncreative and unable to create something out of nothing.

Perhaps we can discuss better in this thread. I disagree. We do not have the solid defensive system required for a good counter-attacking team.

Nor do we have the technical passers required for a possession-based team.

What's left is the conventional 4-3-3. Spread the play wide, use the winger-types we have and repeatedly get the ball into the box for Pazzini and Boateng who'll run in from the midfield. Somewhat similar to many Man Utd teams of the past.

Fiero

Reaction score
Perhaps we can discuss better in this thread. I disagree. We do not have the solid defensive system required for a good counter-attacking team.

Nor do we have the technical passers required for a possession-based team.

What's left is the conventional 4-3-3. Spread the play wide, use the winger-types we have and repeatedly get the ball into the box for Pazzini and Boateng who'll run in from the midfield. Somewhat similar to many Man Utd teams of the past.

I'm with you on the 4-3-3, in fact I was thinking about it yesterday and I settled that our best line-up would be De Jong, Montolivo, Boateng; Emanuelson, Pazzini, Robinho.

But, as you saw in the Euros, if the team using a 4-3-3 doesn't have a midfielder able to consistently split defenses with a pass, or two wingers crossing into the box regularly, it is not easy to score a goal.

Emanuelson can cut in from the right and cross, Montolivo to attempt passes behind the defense and Boateng to arrive in the box ala Hamsik and shoot.

I'm just thinking, this team needs to play with higher intensity. We don't have the quality to wait on the ball and outsmart the opponents. We need to be quick and intense, and we have no old players anymore to worry about them tiring. Robinho, Shaarawy, Emanuelson, Boateng... these guys are fast as hell anyway, we just need Montolivo to get the ball forward quickly.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
For me, it is Montolivo, De Jong, Boateng; El Shaarawy, Pazzini, Robinho.

And I don't see the problem. Like you said, Robinho and ElS can both cut in and dribble in, Boateng can run from the midfield and it would basically be a 4-2-4 while attacking, with Boateng and Pazzini being the two forwards.

Montolivo-DeJong can and must develop strongly as a partnership, with playmaking and defensive responsibilities. Higher width can also lead to Monto attempting Pirlo-like passes to the wide player, which has completely gone out of our arsenal.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
For me, it is Montolivo, De Jong, Boateng; El Shaarawy, Pazzini, Robinho.

And I don't see the problem. Like you said, Robinho and ElS can both cut in and dribble in, Boateng can run from the midfield and it would basically be a 4-2-4 while attacking, with Boateng and Pazzini being the two forwards.

Montolivo-DeJong can and must develop strongly as a partnership, with playmaking and defensive responsibilities. Higher width can also lead to Monto attempting Pirlo-like passes to the wide player, which has completely gone out of our arsenal.

And is there anything else Boateng has to offer as midfielder?

Seratore

Starting Eleven
Reaction score

All the possession in the world isn't going to do us much good now. What we need to do is 'invite the opponents' to take the ball and then hit on fast counters. We have the players for that... Emanuelson, Robinho, Boateng... they're all fast as hell and good dribblers.

Our defense is solid enough to hold it's own, we need a double pivot of De Jong and Montolivo to be the brains of the team... especially Monto, he could unleash counters on the wing to Emanuelson and Robinho with Pazzini waiting in the box.

Agreee 10000 % !

All our matches until now have clearly shown that we can have possession 95 % of the match time and still don't make 1 decent opportunity to score.

we clearly have players to counter. great players to counter.

but the problem is berlusca , no doubt in my mind.

he wants his team playing possession football even if we don't have players for that. period.

he wants us to play with 4 players in the back even though we have great players to try 3-5-2 or some variation. period.

he won't budge, i'm afraid.

even though allegri has his faults, i think his hands are tied in couple of super important things for his team and formation...

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
And is there anything else Boateng has to offer as midfielder?

I envision him pretty much in a Marchisio role. He'll be the midfielder with least possession and the midfielder who'll be marked least. Which gives him time and space for shooting, for timed runs into the box and basically for giving us an extra number in the midfield as well.

Like I've always said, his best quality is his movement from midfield to attack. This can simply increase the number of Milan players in attack and give us an advantage.

---Robinho----Pazzini------El Shaarawy---

---------------Boateng-----------
----------Monto----De Jong--------

Oh my, am I advocating a Quattro-Due-Fantasia? (Nah, kidding. Boateng's role will be very different from Seedorf's in Leo's team)..

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see Milan try out a 3-5-2, won't happen with allegri but hopefully it will with the new coach.

Abs

Zapata Mexes Acerbi

Abate De Jong Monto Boateng Urby

Pato Robinho

looks pretty good imo, and the players can make it work + this is a formation where players like urby would shine.

this formation could be very interesting

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
looks pretty good imo, and the players can make it work + this is a formation where players like urby would shine.

I like the formation, buti 'm not sure it's where urby shines.... maybe, maybe not.

His best play has been really attacking, like.... 4-3-3 or something

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the 4-3-3, but offensively it worked today and better than the 1-2. Attack was more fluid and we could attack by the center. There was inserting runs again. Looked overall more compact with three lines.
Defense suffered though.

Hope the defeat doesn't trash the tactics... It's not like we won with the trequartista anyway.

Last edited:

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the 4-3-3, but offensively it worked today and better than the 1-2. Attack was more fluid and we could attack by the center. There was inserting runs again. Looked overall more compact with three lines.
Defense suffered though.

Hope the defeat doesn't trash the tactics... It's not like we won with the trequartista anyway.

I believe 4-2-3-1 is more suitable for our players we have, even 4-4-2 would work well.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Defense suffered though.

+1

And with De Jong coming in for Ambrosini and Boateng starting ahead of Nocerino, the formation will much more naturally fit the players.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi * Maldini * Nesta * Albertini * Gattuso * Pirlo * Kaká * Rui Costa * Sheva * Pippo * Borri
I'd like to see Milan try out a 3-5-2, won't happen with allegri but hopefully it will with the new coach.

Abs

Zapata Mexes Acerbi

Pato Robinho

I fully agree. Testing this formation would be awesome, you just need the right set of players for it. It really works for Juve & Napoli since they have fast and hard working wingers that always help out with defending.

Abate(De Sciglio) and Urby(Antonini) could really work. Atleast both Abate and Antonini love attacking and both know how to defend.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Allegri confirmed in todays after match interview that Boa will be playing as a LCM form now on!!!

"Boateng has been playing for 4 games with a broken hand and without doubt it affects the way he moves and goes into the challenge. As a mezz’ala, Boateng can become among the best players in Europe, even though he could keep on playing as a trequartista for Milan".
FUCK YES!

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
4-2-3-1: against strong team

--------------------ABI--------------------
--Abate---------Zap---Ace----------Anto--
-----------Monty----------DJ--------------
-------Prince-------SES------Furby-------- /Binho if he is fine
-------------------PAZZ------------------- /Pato if he is fine

or 4-4-2: against ordinary team

--------------------ABI--------------------
--Abate---------Zap---Ace----------Anto--
-------------Monty----------DJ-------------
---------Prince-----------------Furby-------
--------------------------SES-------------- /Binho if he is fine
----------------PAZZ---------------------- /Pato if he is fine

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Urby IMO would offer more than Boateng at this point. He outperformed him so far and deserve to start over him.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo

Abs

Zapata Mexes Acerbi

Pato Robinho

totally agreed, that is what I have been advocating for too.

we dont have a CAM and our midfield is a weakness, so packing the mid and adding better width to our attack should help to make up for that.

Plus those 3 at the back makes up for their individual weaknesses quite well, and once they develop some chemistry should work very nicely.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Galliani:
"Finally we scored and won. We have to improve our play, but today it was only the 3 points that mattered and we got them. We played better in the first half than in the second half. The way I see it, De Jong and Ambrosini could provide a good cover for our defence, despite the fact that Cagliari were only in 10 men".

"4-2-fantasy? I’m not a coach. I liked Capello’s tactical set-up: beautiful and pragmatic. But I also liked the tactical set-up used by my brother Leonardo; his 4-2-fantasy reminds me of Capello when he was at Milan. Capello's Milan also had fantasy and creativity; Boban played on the left and Savicevic on the right.
I also told Tassotti and Allegri that I like the 4-2-fantasia.

So Galliani thought the same as I did - perhaps a Quattro-Due-Fantasia fits this bunch of players that we have. It is really only a minor tweak from a 4-3-3, but with De Jong instead of Pirlo, it'll be stronger defensively than Leo's version.

De Jong and Ambrosini as the double pivot perhaps? Leaving Monto to play more to his natural strength, ahead of the two and behind the attacking trident.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
So Galliani thought the same as I did - perhaps a Quattro-Due-Fantasia fits this bunch of players that we have. It is really only a minor tweak from a 4-3-3, but with De Jong instead of Pirlo, it'll be stronger defensively than Leo's version.

De Jong and Ambrosini as the double pivot perhaps? Leaving Monto to play more to his natural strength, ahead of the two and behind the attacking trident.

i was just saying this to c4m in an email perhaps. I absolutely don't think twice about starting that midfield 3 v. any strong team.

Ambrosini, de jong, montolivo is by far our best defensive midfield, and still technically competent. You might have to sub ambro around 70, but it's worth it.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
posted this in match thread-
http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showpost.php?p=1508638&postcount=1078

finny how i mentioned this stuff a month ago :). Me and Allegri, he knows whats up :)

The other thing I want to see us work on but really don't think will happen is perhaps a true 3-4-3

--El shaarawy--Pazzo--Robinho
Urby--Montolivo--De Jong--Abate
----Acerbi--Mexes--Bonera

And then of course a 3-5-2 where 1 of the forwards is dropped for boateng or even nocerino.

It can work, if we get effective pressing out of el shaarawy, pazzini and robinho, which all have shown capability of.

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
posted this in match thread-
http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showpost.php?p=1508638&postcount=1078

finny how i mentioned this stuff a month ago :). Me and Allegri, he knows whats up :)

The other thing I want to see us work on but really don't think will happen is perhaps a true 3-4-3

--El shaarawy--Pazzo--Robinho
Urby--Montolivo--De Jong--Abate
----Acerbi--Mexes--Bonera

And then of course a 3-5-2 where 1 of the forwards is dropped for boateng or even nocerino.

It can work, if we get effective pressing out of el shaarawy, pazzini and robinho, which all have shown capability of.

Now we're talking

Schedule