Should Refs Have Camera Help?

MilanFan009

A.P.7.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta, Pato, Buffon
On the news a couple of days ago, there was a story about baseball getting a camera review but only on a certain play to help clarify the calls. Like if they aren't sure if it is a home run or not they check the cameras and replays to make the right call.

My question to you is, do you think football (soccer) should get the same thing? Should the refs be allowed to check the cameras to see if it was a goal or not? Or let's say if they think that there is a penalty but they check the cameras and see that the player dove.

I think that it SHOULDN'T be allowed. This sport has existed for hundreds of years and this is what makes football. Sure it may be fair, but that is not football. Football is full of controversy, but that's what makes it an even more beautiful sport. If your team gets a bad call and they lose the CL Final but then the year after they win it, the win is more rewarding and it's like revenge. You are even happier then if you would win regularly. You have a ref, two linesmen, and a fourth official. People are only human, this is a human sport where people make mistakes. This is the art of football, what do you talk about with your friends after a game? How it was a penalty, or how it wasn't, or maybe he dove or he didn't. With the cameras, it wouldn't be the same.

FIFA was talking about putting cameras in the goal or even at one point putting a sensor in the ball so that if it senses it passes the line it informs the ref. I think that is utter crap.

What are your views?

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
NO. football is different from other sports due to things like these, an argument can go on for decades, did the ball cross the line? did the ref favor this team? the buzz around this call is one of the reasons i love football alot, sometimes you have your day sometimes you dont, all you have to do is pray alot that its gonna go your way

siatanhai

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Cafu, Javad Nekounam,
yes it shud, but not during game, eg if lunge tackle worthy of red card missed by ref but caught on video, ref shud hav power to giv player red card after game n player shud be banned accordingly, but during game no as football must be fast paced, video evidence wud crate too many pauses, think how ennoyed u get wen referee is whistle happy

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
FIFA recently tried that with the new technology inside the balls to detect when they actually cross the line. It lasted for about fifteen minutes.

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Pato, Balotelli
MilanFan009 said:
People are only human, this is a human sport where people make mistakes.
Yeah, I'm against camera help as well.
I just think that ref's should stop letting bribes and other things (like a rowdy home crowd) cloud their judgement in a game. I'm looking at you Byron Moreno.

albion tifo

Forever Milanista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
I like idea, why not? I don't think than is something wrong with sensors on ball, that will help a lot to know when is goal or not, and cameras can be usefull too especially in offside and dirty tackles.Judgment in lot of offsides can be cleared. For example it was an rumour in Germany final, Italy vs France 4th assistant referee was using TV replay to see Zidan-Matteracci incident, and all of us know the story what happened after, maybe that was a key part than France lost that final.

MilanFan009

A.P.7.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
albion tifo said:
I like idea, why not? I don't think than is something wrong with sensors on ball, that will help a lot to know when is goal or not, and cameras can be usefull too especially in offside and dirty tackles.Judgment in lot of offsides can be cleared. For example it was an rumour in Germany final, Italy vs France 4th assistant referee was using TV replay to see Zidan-Matteracci incident, and all of us know the story what happened after, maybe that was a key part than France lost that final.
Yes, but how can't you resist from looking at a HUGE screen on your right for 90 minutes? It's very tough.

But again, it will never be the same emotion with cameras that's why I am against them.

Kai

Primavera
Reaction score
They could have resolved this ages ago, they obviously don't want to.

Seriously, how hard is it to set up a huge screen in a stadium & every time a ref has a doubt all he has to do is look at the big screen and watch the replay?

Or have an assistant ref in front of a screen to watch every replay & communicate whatever he has to to the ref?

If a human or the human eye is not capable of making good judgements & take the right decisions at the right time, then they shouldn't ref at all. Referees are paid well enough I believe, and they aren't paying them to make silly mistakes & ruin a game.

There will be a time where referee's won't be needed anymore.

Wolfpac4Life

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.Baggio, Van Basten, Maradona
The trouble with looking at replays during the match are that it's the thin end of the wedge. Once they are implemented, even if only for goal-line decisions then whats to stop from using them to judge off-sides, tackles, fouls committed which were seen by the linesman and not the ref (and vice-versa), and so many other situations? It will become unworkable because of the constant delays killing the excitement and flow of the game. On the other hand, with the vast sums of money involved in football these days a controversial decision could mean the difference between making and missing out on millions of pounds especially in relegation/promotion scenarios (not to mention actually missing promotion or being relegated in themselves). And football as a game is generally not suited to implement constant replays unlike cricket, American Football, etc due to their slow/stop-start nature where there is always a plenty of time for these kinds of things. I personally wouldnt mind goal-line technology and/or that chip in the ball but only if they were the only kinds of incidents where refs could look at the replays, otherwise it would ruin football imo.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
The answer is no. Football has been amazing for all these years without it and it should stay the same for its longevity. I am a traditionalist and like the human aspect of the game even if the calls don't go our way. Why change something now just because we can?? Plus, it will suck some emotion out of a game that is jam-packed with it and is based on it. Please no replay.

rreze_milan

OURS!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Pato, Becks...
MilanFan009 said:
Should the refs be allowed to check the cameras to see if it was a goal or not?

with that camera thing, no more "corrupted" refs definitely.
nd with cams or not, that don't do anything bad @ last :rolleyes:

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Some Moderator SHould Move this thread to the Football Section.

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
no more refereeing mistakes? how would that be a bad idea? have you all forgotten how the referees helped Printer the past season? and what about when they helped Juve? it was disgusting... the sport would enormously improve when it's fair and no amount of bribes could change it.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
We have video refs in Rugby League though it slows down the game. Technology must be implemented e.g. for goal line technology to determine whether the ball crosses the line or not.

Times are changing and the game needs to change to a certain extent. However, no matter what we implement we will always have controversy in the game and that is what makes sport so beautiful to watch. Without controversy we would have nothing to speak about.

Last edited:

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The Rugby League(NRL) is much different than football, yet you have a point San Poalo.
They can easily slow the pace of the game.
I would suggest couple of more referees on the Pitch.
Football is Football, mixing it with Technology will make it less exciting at some times

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
San Paolo said:
Technology must be implemented e.g. for goal line technology to determine whether the ball crosses the line or not.
That's were technology should be used.

Anything else will not only slow the game, it's also very difficult (how many times have you heard 3 different comments about a controversial call? "It's good", "it can can either way", "total screw up by the ref" or how many times you have needed like 500 different angles to see if it was offside or not or if it was a penalty or not and even after that you have doubts?). And what happens if you realize it wasn't an offside (in a situation were the striker is alone against the kepper)? Does the ref put all the players as they were when he gave the whistle? A free kick in favour of the team that got the wrong call? A ball in the middle?

Fiore

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R. Baggio
Definitely yes. If a referee on the field makes a mistake that could change the outcome of the game, it should be corrected right away, by a committee that would judge from the camera view.

MilanFan009

A.P.7.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I think it would be a cool idea to have another ref on the pitch. Using cameras during game play would slow down the play and the excitement so I say no to that. But I say yes to goal line cameras. Or maybe something like in Tennis where your allowed to protest only one time in a game and make the refs look at the camera. What do you guys think?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Maybe at half time the referee could have some video footage of all the 'big' fouls in the match and see if they really warented a yellow card? Then they could change there decision and either take away a yellow or add a yellow.

Otherwise I'd say leave it. Football's fine like it is and it would become far less exciting if they used some kind of hawkeye like they do in tennis.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Only for goal line situations. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
When you guys say having "more refs on the pitch", do you mean linesmen or actual refs that are on the field with the players?

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
1 Ref Behind Each Goal, And 1 Ref that is job is very similar to the Number 1 Ref(on the Field)So that more angles would be covered.

MilanFan009

A.P.7.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Cristina said:
When you guys say having "more refs on the pitch", do you mean linesmen or actual refs that are on the field with the players?
When I say more refs, I mean officials meaning 2 refs on the pitch instead of 1. Just a suggestion.

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MilanFan009 said:
When I say more refs, I mean officials meaning 2 refs on the pitch instead of 1. Just a suggestion.

I don't know, that opens a whole can of worms.
What if someone falls down in the box, 1 ref thinks a penalty should be awarded and the other one waves play on, then what happens?

David-Regal

Maldini groupie
Reaction score
Hong Kong/ University of Southern California
Fav. Players
PAOLO MALDINI, Alexandre Pato, and all Milan players; Luque, C. Ronaldo, Grosso
Cristina said:
What if someone falls down in the box, 1 ref thinks a penalty should be awarded and the other one waves play on, then what happens?
Spot on. This is the problem for 2 ref. (Don't suggest 3 ref cause ref are not free, and you don't want the pitch being too crowded)

MilanFan009

A.P.7.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Cristina said:
I would say only when both refs agree to make a call should it be called. But it would never happen, how are they supposed to agree? Both of them whistling or what if one of them whistles and the other doesn't it'll screw up the players. I say leave everything as is and enjoy it as it always was and will be.

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
pointing at merda's past season again... i wouldn't care if the game loses a little speed as long as we never get to see that crap again.

siatanhai

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Cafu, Javad Nekounam,
David-Regal said:
Spot on. This is the problem for 2 ref. (Don't suggest 3 ref cause ref are not free, and you don't want the pitch being too crowded)
the only possible way itd work is there is a 'head-ref' who had the final say and if he was unsure or missed sumthin other refs/officials informed him via earpiece???

Schedule