Week 4: Cagliari vs. AC Milan 16/09/2018 20:30 CET

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo

CALCIOMERCATO
In the press conference ahead of the game against Cagliari Gennaro Gattuso spoke about his side this season.

“We are playing against a very difficult opponent in a very difficult arena.
*“They can cause us a lot of problems, so we must improve the things that we still don’t do to our best. It takes time to try out new tactics and players, and if you don’t test them out in training, it becomes improvisation on the field.

“Leonardo Pavoletti is one of the best in Serie A when it comes to headers, so we mustn’t give them the opportunity to put crosses in. We’ve got to soak up the pressure when the situation calls for it.

*“We could play with a False 9 too, I am not worried. We made choices on the transfer market to fit in also with Financial Fair Play. Higuain allows the wingers to come in and take part in the attack.

“In last week’s friendly, Higuain looked like the angriest man in the world. When he struggles to score goals, he becomes really irritated and that shows what a champion he really is. He’s a player who is giving his all and sends an important signal to his teammates.

*“I make my decisions based on what I see in training. The tactical movements have to be perfect in order to play the way I want. You in the media are in fact hurting Caldara, as you can’t destroy a player after one game. He is coming from a very different level and it’s not right to throw him in the garbage dispenser. The club has faith in Caldara and I have no problem giving him time to develop.

*“When it comes to Biglia’s role we have Jose Mauri and Andrea Bertolacci. I think it’ll take a while to get Bakayoko up to speed as a playmaker. When you come from a completely different league, you need to learn the cross-field passing, to double up on marking and not to just chase the ball. If you’re not organised, the whole team can struggle.

“He can do it with some hard work, although he needs to learn Italian faster, as it’s not helping him in the locker room.”

Mauri is still in the reckoning? For regista? I am shocked. Guess this is the end of the road for Montolivo.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Mauri is still in the reckoning? For regista? I am shocked. Guess this is the end of the road for Montolivo.

What do we expect, we have only Mauri and Bertolacci there. Monto seems non-existent right now.

Bakayoko playmaker? What does this mean actually? Does Gattuso means 'regista', the position Biglia plays in?

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
What do we expect, we have only Mauri and Bertolacci there. Monto seems non-existent right now.

Bakayoko playmaker? What does this mean actually? Does Gattuso means 'regista', the position Biglia plays in?

I think I expected Bertolacci because he has played there before. Then Monto although this interview seems to mean he is no longer considered an option. Then 4231 with double pivot.

Bakayoko would have huge problems playing as a regista as he does not seem to have natural tactical ability or discipline. I haven't seen a good passing range either. He is a monster in terms of physical gifts though so might be suited as an alternative for Kessie. Having said that, Gattuso has actually seen him first hand in training and from his interview seems to imply that he sees him as a candidate for regista in the future. I guess we'll see.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Away games are the real tests.
If you can beat the Cagliaris and Chievos away then you are more or less guaranteed a Top 4 spot.

Those of you who actually expect an easy win have no clue about Serie A.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Is it match day finally?!

Longest 2 weeks ever!

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Donnarumma

Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez/Laxalt

Kessie, Biglia, Bonaventura

Suso, Higuain, Calhanoglu.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Seriously no Caldara again? Against fucking Cagliari? I understand easing him in, but let the lad start against shite opposition.

He is not some primavera player, the guy played for a EL contender, and played well.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Seriously no Caldara again? Against fucking Cagliari? I understand easing him in, but let the lad start against shite opposition.

He is not some primavera player, the guy played for a EL contender, and played well.
Whats so hard to understand? He will not start until he adapts to a 4 man def. Gattuso said this numerous times. Caldara also confirmed it.
Think el we will see him in action.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score

roma is cpt and musa was training in milano whole 2 weeks - who shouldnt start?
caldara will play against dudes FC.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not completely true, but not false either. I think the point the video is pointing out is how Gattuso has put the players on the pitch, the roles he has them fulfilling, and what expectations he has for them.

Hakan is being played out wide, but is fulfilling the role of a creator while helping Bonaventura, and is expected to press with Higuain. Thats Gattuso- as in a different team Hakan could be a central midfielder or an attacking midfielder with no defensive responsibility. The results have been obvious too, in H2H matches vs top6 rivals we've been really good.

What Gattuso is doing with the roles of the wingers and midfielders (Bonaventura/Kessie) is pretty impressive. The wingers drop back extremely to disrupt the shape of their defense leaving space for Rodriguez/Calabria. Bonaventura and Kessie attack the space in the middle. Even when pressing, Bonaventura and Kessie press much higher up than Hakan and Suso who always drop back quickly to protect the flanks. (edit: Usually in a 433 it's the wingers that press high and push the ball out wide so they can double up later with the CM's. What Gattuso does is press centrally with Bonaventura/Kessie and then use the wingers and fullbacks to kill off the move out wide. It's riskier but because of the characteristics of our players makes a lot more sense)

I've been also highly impressed with the work they've been doing playing out from the back. They can break opposition press quite comfortably and with extreme patience. Even Donnarumma looks like he's far more comfortable on the ball now. Allows us to move up without the risk of a quick transition since we don't have players able to hold up long balls very well.

Higuain is the real difference from last year though. Gives us so much up front not just with finishing but his movements and ability to keep the ball moving and finding space to exploit/distract. Excellent player.

I'm really looking forward to this run of games. Can't wait to see more Milan.

Cagliari have been plying 4312 for a while now. Either Biglia stays deeper than usual or Gattuso keeps our fullbacks restricted. If we play Laxalt then it's clear we're going for overloads on their flanks so Biglia will play like a third CB almost. Hope it's Laxalt. Want to see us attack the space on the left and right since Cagliari are extremely narrow and Srna is 36 years old now.

Gattuso also seems threatened by Pavoletti so expect a higher block than usual also. All the more reason to play Laxalt. (edit: Because he's great at headers so you'd want him pushed as high up as you can and let him run, where he's less useful. Laxalt offers quicker pressing and better options on transitions than RR)

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Whats so hard to understand? He will not start until he adapts to a 4 man def. Gattuso said this numerous times. Caldara also confirmed it.
Think el we will see him in action.

Did he never play in a 4 man defence ever, how the fuck did he became a footballer? Gimy a break, Caldara ofc is saying that cause he doesn't want to get Gattuso angry.

Anyway can't wait for the game, hope we smash them, and Higuain gets on the score sheet.

We need him to break the duck, and start scoring week in week out for us.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Did he never play in a 4 man defence ever, how the fuck did he became a footballer? Gimy a break, Caldara ofc is saying that cause he doesn't want to get Gattuso angry.

Anyway can't wait for the game, hope we smash them, and Higuain gets on the score sheet.

We need him to break the duck, and start scoring week in week out for us.
Too much negativity for a sunday morning.

Chill man, it's match day.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

..but you don't understand the enormous difference between a home game and an away game against teams like Cagliari.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Match Day! Forza Milan!!!

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Any tactical analysis why we dropped considerably our performance in the second half against Roma (from the point of view of Milan)?
There was a link to a good analysis on twitter in the Roma match thread. Roma is not an amateur team and Di Francesco is a good coach. They have adjusted really well in the 2nd half, which caught us off-guard. Then, Rino took his measures and we ended up dominating the end of the game.

1. He needs to adjust
2. Musakio has played well and deserves to continue. I think all of our 3 CBs are more or less the same level, but Romagnoli has the advantage of being the captain and left-footed.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
There was a link to a good analysis on twitter in the Roma match thread. Roma is not an amateur team and Di Francesco is a good coach. They have adjusted really well in the 2nd half, which caught us off-guard. Then, Rino took his measures and we ended up dominating the end of the game.

That is true. I already have watched the videos from twitter (very good one) but am still not satisfied by the solution we could have done to prevent such drastic change especially we looked shaky defensively (in the second half). Hopefully Gattuso finds the formula (I am pretty sure he will just like how the change occured from Napoli to Roma).

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
That is true. I already have watched the videos from twitter (very good one) but am still not satisfied by the solution we could have done to prevent such drastic change especially we looked shaky defensively (in the second half). Hopefully Gattuso finds the formula (I am pretty sure he will just like how the change occured from Napoli to Roma).

there was no special change. We played weaker team and in the san siro. thats all.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
People starting to hate on Caldara because he's being given time to adjust to a new club should have their head looked at by a professional.

Fucking whining little girls. Rino is playing this just right.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

1. We should aim to get a bigger lead in such situation (1st half)
2. The guys are yet very young, so they easily get weak in the knees. I think it will improve with time. At least we were playing calm enough to score the 2nd goal. In previous years we would have panicked in such situations and end up losing.

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
Roma draw, Inter lost,

tonight would be a very good night to win.

Is it only cutrone out?

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane

I wont ask you more than ; did you watch him play for italy last week ?

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I predict 4-1 win

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
“We are going to face a difficult team on a difficult field. With the international break and players not being present difficulties can arise. Cagliari can cause a lot of trouble and we must continue improving the things we are still not best at,” Gattuso told*Milannews.it.

“Donnarumma? He needs to find continuity. I expect a lot from him. With Reina he has a great professional behind him. He can make big improvements and this year there was a change in methodology. He has to work and listen to what the papers write as little as possible.

“I do not like compliments a lot. We have to keep the level of quality for ninety minutes. We played a great match against Roma, but we risked even to lose it. Tomorrow we expect a difficult game.

“The biggest difficulty on my part is choosing who to play. Everyone is training with great professionalism. I am not worried about the many games in the coming weeks. We have many players who can give us a hand.

“Higuain? In the friendly last week he looked like the angriest man in the world. When he does not score, he gets annoyed, which makes you understand what a champion he is. He is consistent. This is an important signal for the whole group.

“The leaders? Romagnoli has grown a lot. Reina is an incredible leader, he drags everyone on his side. When one wants to be the leader, he must be consistent. The leader must be impeccable. Both Higuain and Reina are giving us a great hand. It is thanks to them as well that the atmosphere in the locker room is good.

“Caldara? You [journalists] are only hurting him. You cannot destroy a player after one game. He comes from a different football culture and it is not right to throw him in the blender. The club has confidence in Caldara and he can give us a big hand.

“The attack? We can also play with a false nine, I am not worried. We had a good market, also taking into account the FFP problems. I am sorry for Patrick [Cutrone]. I hope and think it is not a serious problem. We hope he recovers for Thursday.

“Barella? With the old ownership we talked about him. He is a player with great room for improvement, an important prospect. I like how he plays the role.

“The January market? We are not thinking about it now. Jose Mauri and Bertolacci can be the vice-Biglia. Mauri did well on the US tour and we are happy with what we have.

“Bakayoko as a regista? We have to work. It is not that he cannot play there, but he needs to get used to the league and system. He is working hard. He has to learn the language and then he will improve,” Gattuso concluded.

Slightly more in this one

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Can’t wait for this, been waiting to see if we can back up our performance against Roma. Expecting Cagliari to sit back more here so it’ll be interesting to see how we approach this gams because I expect us to control the game more.

Schedule