The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
I don't like Lazio mostly because of their disgusting fans but I will cheer for them to win scudeto. Better than Merda or Rube anyway.

Most probably unlikely due to their loser mentality. :o

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
We need to help Lazio... need to hold or beat juve.

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
Skriniar is a walking joke.

giphy.gif

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
What a tragedy that we didn't sign SMS :(

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
True, but one needs to make a huge difference to be worth it because you're not only spending 10.5m(gross) a year, you're also losing out on a massive transfer fee and creating a negative trend. In fact we're already seeing that with Romagnoli and a few others replacing their agents with Raiola.
De Laurentis gave up his principles(and sense) for Carlo by renewing with Koulibaly on a massive salary and look what happened. Other players and Allan in particular got jealous, demanded a raise, didn't get it, stopped performing and is now a dressing room poison.

The Donnas cost 12.5m every year.
Their agent wants a massive compensation even for renewals.
We've missed our chance to get Kepa money for him. If he isn't sold this summer, then he'll probably leave for free or renew with an even heavier salary.

I don't know how good Begovic is anymore, but if he's as good as in his Stoke days, or if Reina returns from Villa, and there's a real 50m offer for Donna this time(no Areola), then the choice is simple. However I think Donnaraiola will reject every bid, just like last summer and try to spin it as "Donna wants to stay and honor his contract". Or maybe Donna changes his mind if Milan threaten to bench him for one year. One thing is for sure, there will be drama.

Yes the Donnas will cost us 12.5 million every year. With at least 4-5 such players, we can guarantee a squad that will fight for trophies. Or alternately, there's the Atalanta/Lazio route where we have the best talent-spotters in the world and a project that will retain a manager for multiple years so that he can grow the team (with a few 7th/10th places in the early years) - then we could maybe have a title-chasing squad with the best players earning only 3-4 million. But somehow, I can't see the latter situation working in a club like Milan which has a huge, impatient, global fanbase.

I won't mind selling Donnarumma if that money is re-invested in another 6 million player, perhaps in the midfield or in the attack. But going for a wage cap is something that will not bring us success on-field.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Yes the Donnas will cost us 12.5 million every year. With at least 4-5 such players, we can guarantee a squad that will fight for trophies. Or alternately, there's the Atalanta/Lazio route where we have the best talent-spotters in the world and a project that will retain a manager for multiple years so that he can grow the team (with a few 7th/10th places in the early years) - then we could maybe have a title-chasing squad with the best players earning only 3-4 million. But somehow, I can't see the latter situation working in a club like Milan which has a huge, impatient, global fanbase.

I won't mind selling Donnarumma if that money is re-invested in another 6 million player, perhaps in the midfield or in the attack. But going for a wage cap is something that will not bring us success on-field.

And paying a 6m salary now would only cost us 7.5m (for a player coming from outside Italy).

If the Donnas left, plus Biglia and Jack and if we managed to get rid of Reina permanently too it's a salary saving of 23m. We could actually pay 3 players 6m for that under the new laws (if they all came from outside Italy), which as you say should be enough to hugely increase the competitiveness of the squad.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
And paying a 6m salary now would only cost us 7.5m (for a player coming from outside Italy).

If the Donnas left, plus Biglia and Jack and if we managed to get rid of Reina permanently too it's a salary saving of 23m. We could actually pay 3 players 6m for that under the new laws (if they all came from outside Italy), which as you say should be enough to hugely increase the competitiveness of the squad.

Indeed. Under the new laws, a player earning 7.5 million gross would be taxed 41% on half of his gross salary ie 41% on 3.75 million, which translates to 1.54 million. So the player ends up pocketing almost 6 million.

So selling Donna alone would give us enough money to sign 2 foreign players of a 5 million net salary bracket (for comparison's sake, that is the equivalent of Alexis Sanchez + Edin Dzeko level players coming from abroad). So my question is: why aren't we doing that?

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

100% agree.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Indeed. Under the new laws, a player earning 7.5 million gross would be taxed 41% on half of his gross salary ie 41% on 3.75 million, which translates to 1.54 million. So the player ends up pocketing almost 6 million.

So selling Donna alone would give us enough money to sign 2 foreign players of a 5 million net salary bracket (for comparison's sake, that is the equivalent of Alexis Sanchez + Edin Dzeko level players coming from abroad). So my question is: why aren't we doing that?
Maybe it's a strategy we opt for this summer. The reasons for not selling Donna are quite obvious, before Ibra came he was essentially our biggest star globally. Homegrown super talent, could become a legend. The whole Raiola shenanigans is very bad but I think Maldini and Boban will try to keep him if possible. I don't see us planning our window on his sale, but I could be wrong.

Anyway it's interesting with the new tax laws. It represents significant opportunities for anyone smart willing to invest. The question is: are we that anyone this summer?

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score

I can see it working.

Not doing fookall for 10 years has made the fanbase very patient.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score

There must have been a target set by Elliott for total salary spend that is in line with our revenue, hopefully we reached it with the January activity and then can distribute the spend better from now on.

We can even pay a foreign player over 5m now just with what is currently spent on Biglia.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There must have been a target set by Elliott for total salary spend that is in line with our revenue, hopefully we reached it with the January activity and then can distribute the spend better from now on.

We can even pay a foreign player over 5m now just with what is currently spent on Biglia.

Maybe it's a strategy we opt for this summer. The reasons for not selling Donna are quite obvious, before Ibra came he was essentially our biggest star globally. Homegrown super talent, could become a legend. The whole Raiola shenanigans is very bad but I think Maldini and Boban will try to keep him if possible. I don't see us planning our window on his sale, but I could be wrong.

Anyway it's interesting with the new tax laws. It represents significant opportunities for anyone smart willing to invest. The question is: are we that anyone this summer?

My speculation is also the same as that of Tobinho's.. I don't think Elliott is interested in that level of players. Their approach seems to be to cap the wage bill at 3-4 million per player.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll think more ambitiously this summer.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
The reasons for not selling Donna are quite obvious, before Ibra came he was essentially our biggest star globally. Homegrown super talent, could become a legend.

Possibly. But no one goes to a stadium to see a goalkeeper and hardly anyone wants to buy a goalkeeper shirt. That says more about the extreme lack of star quality we have in attacking positions.

It's only a guide of popularity but Theo has quickly caught Gigio up in Instagram followers, Hakan has more and Paqueta has double.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Possibly. But no one goes to a stadium to see a goalkeeper and hardly anyone wants to buy a goalkeeper shirt. That says more about the extreme lack of star quality we have in attacking positions.

It's only a guide of popularity but Theo has quickly caught Gigio up in Instagram followers, Hakan has more and Paqueta has double.

Every time I go to SS there is a fair amount of Donnarummas on the stands.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Klopp:

“I will not come to Italy, because I want to travel after my career,” Klopp told Radio Anch’io Sport. “A good glass of wine, I will have fun with Arrigo [Sacchi]. Either with [Carlo] Ancelotti or with [Maurizio] Sarri.

“I love your country, the weather, the fantastic food. But to do my job, I will need to know the language and my Italian is not very good.

“I would need time, maybe a year to learn Italian and then I could think about it, but who knows. On holiday I will certainly come, but to work, who knows?”

He pointed out that he takes inspiration from the former European champion Sacchi when he sets up his own teams.

“The most important coach I learned from is Arrigo, after everything he did with his Milan,” Klopp added. “Those things have been implemented in our team and the base of everything I do is what Arrigo did.”

Start learning now then and come here :proud: be our new-age Sacchi

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Klopp:

“I will not come to Italy, because I want to travel after my career,” Klopp told Radio Anch’io Sport. “A good glass of wine, I will have fun with Arrigo [Sacchi]. Either with [Carlo] Ancelotti or with [Maurizio] Sarri.

“I love your country, the weather, the fantastic food. But to do my job, I will need to know the language and my Italian is not very good.

“I would need time, maybe a year to learn Italian and then I could think about it, but who knows. On holiday I will certainly come, but to work, who knows?”

He pointed out that he takes inspiration from the former European champion Sacchi when he sets up his own teams.

“The most important coach I learned from is Arrigo, after everything he did with his Milan,” Klopp added. “Those things have been implemented in our team and the base of everything I do is what Arrigo did.”

Start learning now then and come here :proud: be our new-age Sacchi

Why is Klopp not following the RnB advice of becoming an English language coach in Italy with translators operating during the match

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
Hakan finally getting some rest today, seems like Pioli started to notice that he's better when he doesnt play 2 games per week.

PS. Come Kloppo :cry:

edit: Nvm, Hakan injured.

Last edited:

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Way too many injuries lately. Can't remember them last season. At least not in the 2nd half.

Chiko

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Why is Klopp not following the RnB advice of becoming an English language coach in Italy with translators operating during the match

Pochettino was coaching Southampton with a translator. I fail to see your point.

Sir Bobby Robson Had Jose Mourinho translate for him at Barca.

Each had success to varying degrees.

A preference is not a rule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule