The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
And we have him because Miha had the balls to play a 16 y.o. over a pretty good Diego Lopez. I'm pretty sure that otherwise he'd have gone a similar path to Cristante.

You won't find talents if you don't give them chances... and you might also hold their growth.

Under proper coaching and some senior guidance, I think Loca can easily become a 30-40m player. Not WC, but still.

Not entirely true. Donnarumma has been looked as a remarkable talent ever since he was 12. Not many coaches would've played him instead of Diego Lopez that early but he would've surely replaced him eventually. Maybe a year later but it was a certainty. None of Loca, Cutrone, Cristante, Calabria, Bellanova, etc. has been regarded as such a talent.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
This post would make sense if Donnarumma didn't exist.

Why did they sell Loca, Cutrone, Cristante but kept Donna? Maybe because he is the only one with world-class potential while the others were not good enough as per the current standards of the management

This would be a good point, if we had a WC starting XI, and bench. We don't.

When you have mediocre players getting time, and don't give opportunities to youth, that is a problem.

And we have him because Miha had the balls to play a 16 y.o. over a pretty good Diego Lopez. I'm pretty sure that otherwise he'd have gone a similar path to Cristante.

You won't find talents if you don't give them chances... and you might also hold their growth.

Under proper coaching and some senior guidance, I think Loca can easily become a 30-40m player. Not WC, but still.

Exactly. Donnarumma was both a special talent, and had a coach that supported him fully, which hasn't really happened outside of Miha.

Look at some of the players we've lost in the last few years-

Locatelli has been a good Serie A starter for a solid midtable club and is the captain of the Italian U-21s. Inter is reportedly interested, and his worth is estimated at 25 million.

Cristante has been inconsistent, but still gets a lot of time for Roma (which has been a better club than us the last handful of seasons), has made 7 appearances for Italy, and was purchased for 30 million.

Simone Verdi- played well enough to be the captain of a Serie A team, was solid to a big team for 25 million, was ok there, but not a star, in the process of being sold again for 23 million. 4 Italy caps, generally a solid player.

Andrea Petagna- only 24, has 27 goals in 60 games the last two seasons, and was purchased by a big club. 1 Italy cap, and will likely get more in the future if he continues with his strong production.

Tiago Djaló- sold to Lille this offseason, has played a decent number of games for a Champions League team, i don't see why he couldn't have been our 4th CB, which would have netted us 5 million by not buying Durante and would have also saved salary.

Gabriel- has been a solid Serie A caliber GK, wouldn't have a problem with him backing up Donnarumma.

Cutrone- would have been a perfectly fine backup CF.

Paolo Ghiglione- have been a good RWB for Genoa, we've been linked with trying to sign him back.

Raoul Bellanova- this one is still early, but we couldn't agree with him on giving him a first team contract, he got a Ligue 1 start (where he didn't play well), but is still only 19, and was sold in Jannuary to Atalanta. I would not be surprised at all if he turns into a very solid player there.

That is a lot of guys who could have been starters or bench players for our team that we didn't give a real chance to.

End of the day, we've finished between 5th and 10th each of the last 6 season. You can talk about Champions League aspirations all you want, but we havent been there, and we've played a ton of mediocre experienced players during that time.

Last edited:

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Whoscored:

Most key passes in Europe's top five leagues in 2020:

S. Castillejo (@acmilan) -- 31
C. Nkunku (@DieRotenBullen) -- 30
J. Maddison (@LCFC) -- 29

Samu :proud:

Damn son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
oh wow, didn't know Verdi and Petagna were bought by Napoli

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
So for entire AC Milan homegrown team what would our #11 look like?

Donnarumma,
DeS, Djalo, Darmian, Calabria,
Cristante, Locatelli, Verdi
Aubameyang, Cutrone, Petagna?

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

Donnarumma,

Gabbia at CB. Did we really have no CB talents?

Can't say this team would be much worse than the current one :D

NiceGuy123

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Carlo Ancelotti named the best 11 players he's coached. No Nesta in that first 11 though - weird.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score

Donnarumma,

I'd go for

Donnarumma,
Bellanova, GabbiaDjalo, Darmian, Calabria,
Cristante, Locatelli, Verdi/Brescianini
Aubameyang, Cutrone, Petagna

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Donnarumma,

Gabbia at CB. Did we really have no CB talents?

Can't say this team would be much worse than the current one :D

CB has been a weak spot, but Gabbia looks talented, and Djalo has a lot of talent. I'd say Rodrigo Ely has probably been the best out of the recent bunch, he's nothing to write home about but has already played over 50 La Liga games.

There is a drop off after that, but Simone Romagnoli has been a good Serie B CB that wouldnt be out of place at a lower tier Serie A team, and Ivan De Sanctis still has some talent, but hasn't really broken out yet.

Midfield options would also include Mattia Valotti, who is nothing special but is a Serie A starter, and Niccolo Zanellatto, who is a Serie B starter at 21 and is part of the Italian U-21 set up.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
It's true that we can't sell like normal clubs, but it is a fact that our Primavera produced only one world-class talent for the past 6-7 years nd he has been in the senior squad for 5 seasons already

Oh agreed - just making the distinction that either of those mids couldve stayed here and fought for their spot and been at least in rotation but thought they were higher than their actual level.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tommasi (president of the players association) is saying that the season may be finished already. Decision expected today.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
i know they're good friends, but knowing Ibra is this pure trolling at this point?

Whom would you choose? Consider that he formed the list out of his former colleagues. He played with Maxwell in 3 of the clubs he's been at, so I understand the choice. Plus, he was quite good too.

The only other option is probably Abidal

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Whom would you choose? Consider that he formed the list out of his former colleagues. He played with Maxwell in 3 of the clubs he's been at, so I understand the choice. Plus, he was quite good too.

The only other option is probably Abidal

Umm.... Antonini.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players

CanUNoTouch

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There are far too many to name past & present
Tommasi (president of the players association) is saying that the season may be finished already. Decision expected today.

It needs to be. As soon as they can accept it, they can move on. They are wasting everyone's time with trying to finish the season.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
i know they're good friends, but knowing Ibra is this pure trolling at this point?

honestly, I'm more curious about the inclusion of Ronaldinho. They played like what? 4 games together at the end of Dinho's time with us. Would have probably thought to put someone like Del Piero in that spot.

As for Maxwell, setting aside the fact that he is clearly Ibra's best friend, I would think that Zambrotta would probably be the guy for that spot

NiceGuy123

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Ancelotti putting both Thiago Silva and John Terry ahead of Nesta is a much worse call than Ibra putting Maxwell, given he hasn't played with that many great left-backs.

NiceGuy123

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
honestly, I'm more curious about the inclusion of Ronaldinho. They played like what? 4 games together at the end of Dinho's time with us. Would have probably thought to put someone like Del Piero in that spot.

As for Maxwell, setting aside the fact that he is clearly Ibra's best friend, I would think that Zambrotta would probably be the guy for that spot

I don't think he's necessarily judging it as "Milan's Ronaldinho" that he played with but he's probably looking at Ronaldinho as a player overall. He benched Del Piero so he probably doesn't think much of him :D

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

IIRC, it was about 9 matches that they played minutes for the same match.

To your point, they didn’t play together a lot.

That said, these lists are more about individual talent than setting up the best balanced team.

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
Unlikely fan favourites XI...

Kalac
Borini Yepes Favalli Antonini
Kucka Nocerino Flamini
Lapadula Cutrone

Any other names come to mind? I know I missed out one player. People definitely gonna hate Flamini being there :D

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Kalac
Kucka Nocerino Flamini
Lapadula Cutrone

Any other names come to mind? I know I missed out one player. People definitely gonna hate Flamini being there :D

Is this supposed to be a bad line-up or what? Some kind of joke? Coz most of these players were not at all bad...

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score

Kalac
Kucka Nocerino Flamini
Lapadula Cutrone

more funny is making 11 with players who had some skills or talent or get hype but they failed here - when we fans had some hope and expected more; from last years.

niang-valente/gonzalo-honda
hakan-biglia-essien
rr-bonuci-caldara-conti
diego lopez

menez-torres-cerci
berto-jose sosa-kessie
des-paletta-ely-calabria?
gabriel?

Last edited:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Negotiations between Milan and former RB Leipzig boss Ralf Rangnick have reportedly reached a point of slowdown.

Rangnick appeared to be closing in on an agreement to become Milan’s next coach, with the issue of transfer budget said to have been addressed last week.

However, Sky Sport Italia claims there has been little progress since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule