Milan's Transferseason round-up

What do you make of our transfer campaign so far?

• Total voters

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
It seems to me that Milan's transfer strategy is old fashioned - like its usual targets. Milan still go down the old school route of taking their time pondering over a signing, probably trying to grind down the asking price, when in truth all it does is allow other suitors into the frame which at worst causes Milan to lose the player, (like Suazo), or at best jack up the price, (Gilardino).

But thats just not how bussiness is done these days, Man Utd are the best example of this. In previous seasons Ferguson and the old administration there used this method, which lead to them missing out on Ronaldinho to Barcelona, and paying way over the odds for the players they did manage to sign. But now they have by in large changed tact, got in early and moved deals along as quick as possible. Which has got them the players they wanted, for a price that is acceptable. Barca have done the same thing, Milito- £12m, Toure- £6.5m, Abidal- £9.5m, Henry- £16m. Then look at Real Madrid, who sat about and were slow off the mark, they ended up paying 30M for Pepe alone. In the present market I think you've got to be quick to be competitive, which Milan certainly isn't, hence why there have been so many disasters for Milan in recent seasons.

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
Tsar said:
It seems to me that Milan's transfer strategy is old fashioned - like its usual targets. Milan still go down the old school route of taking their time pondering over a signing, probably trying to grind down the asking price, when in truth all it does is allow other suitors into the frame which at worst causes Milan to lose the player, (like Suazo), or at best jack up the price, (Gilardino).

But thats just not how bussiness is done these days, Man Utd are the best example of this. In previous seasons Ferguson and the old administration there used this method, which lead to them missing out on Ronaldinho to Barcelona, and paying way over the odds for the players they did manage to sign. But now they have by in large changed tact, got in early and moved deals along as quick as possible. Which has got them the players they wanted, for a price that is acceptable. Barca have done the same thing, Milito- £12m, Toure- £6.5m, Abidal- £9.5m, Henry- £16m. Then look at Real Madrid, who sat about and were slow off the mark, they ended up paying 30M for Pepe alone. In the present market I think you've got to be quick to be competitive, which Milan certainly isn't, hence why there have been so many disasters for Milan in recent seasons.

I dont think i agree with you on that. I remember reading some interview a month or so ago with Berlu son who claimed that Galliani is actually doing a good job+tried signing players but Berlu kept pulling the plug on the deals. I also read last week that Milan had deals agreed for Ribery+Toni but Silvio decided to pull the plug on the move. I guess his main target has always been Sheva+Ronaldinho with E'to being the next on the line. There are new reports that came out this week that claim Milan will make a 80 million bid for Ronaldinho and Sheva is having talks with Roman about coming back to Milan. Well if both this deals go trough, Berlu would have met his transfer objectives in the same way Fergie and the others did. Is it something we are all excited and happy with? Probably not but we have done well over the last 5 years or so and have been the most consistant team in europe during that period. I guess they will stick with the same policy till something bad happens.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I find it hard to comprehend exactly what our management's stand is. But I cannot disagree with Tsar here because he has stated facts.

They say they are carefully weighing their options, yet are ready to seal a deal with Suazo over 'dinner' (the matter being brought up there + then itself apparently) without the player's consent - hardly careful by any means.

They feed us stories about their supposed star targets, yet are quick to mention them beyond their financial capacities. What looks like undecided tendencies don't bode well with the fact that there is room for improvement in our squad + our options are being decreased by the day.

I only hope that, with Oil's departure, we get a decent enough striker for cover, and that Ronaldo has a fantastic season, as well as Gila and Gourcuff. Frankly, as in the poll, I've been disappointed too often recently to hope.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
menon_inc said:
I dont think i agree with you on that. I remember reading some interview a month or so ago with Berlu son who claimed that Galliani is actually doing a good job+tried signing players but Berlu kept pulling the plug on the deals. I also read last week that Milan had deals agreed for Ribery+Toni but Silvio decided to pull the plug on the move. I guess his main target has always been Sheva+Ronaldinho with E'to being the next on the line. There are new reports that came out this week that claim Milan will make a 80 million bid for Ronaldinho and Sheva is having talks with Roman about coming back to Milan. Well if both this deals go trough, Berlu would have met his transfer objectives in the same way Fergie and the others did. Is it something we are all excited and happy with? Probably not but we have done well over the last 5 years or so and have been the most consistant team in europe during that period. I guess they will stick with the same policy till something bad happens.
all what u said lead 2 the same conclusion that our transfer policy is crap.
G doesn’t have the balls 2 stand up 4 B + obviously both doest know what should b done since Ribery wont fit into A plans + a defender & a LB should b a priority.

We all watched Barca last season & we all noticed they need 2 reinforce their backline more than anything & that’s exactly what they v been doing over 2 seasons : Zambrotta – Thuram – Melito – Abidal……………..
@ least they know their weakness & @ the end they will solve it while we live in the la la world & we can never solve a problem that we don’t even know it exist even if we struck lucky from time 2 time.
Having a good transfer plan that fail is much better than having a crap plan that go lucky coz @ the end good planning will prevail luck.

Lately Milan v done more bad transfers than good & that’s a fact no matter if we signed players we want or not.
A good transfer plan = buying players that do u good regardless if u win or not.
A good season = winning regardless if u have a good transfer plan or not.
My point is even if Milan won the CL their transfer plan was crap since most they recent signing failed.
And here we r arguying about transfer plans & not good or bad seasons.

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
We don't need any, CB, Left back or Midfielder.
Not some expensive right back wouldn't be so bad, knowing that Cafu may leave this season and Oddo can have some injury, we could need one. We don't need a Left back cause for that postion we have, Janku wich amaze me with his games last season and with Serginho which can be a good sub sometimes and Kala. And I can't understand some that want our midfield to change :rolleyes: That was what bring us glory last season.

I wanted Saviola I adored that guy, I wanted him more than Eto'o. But I don't know why Milan didn't sing him, they didn't even asked more him. He's gonna have a great season at Real. Barca will regret that they let him go. Now after Saviola is not avaliable anymore. I want Sheva back, he knows better than anyone how to play in Mian.

But anyways I believe our menangment. They said they'll get a big name this summer and I believe that Berlu will get one.

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dave Gahan, Martin L. Gore, Alan Wilder, Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher.
DugiNesta said:
I want Sheva back, he knows better than anyone how to play in Mian.
Hey, wasn't he a traitor?

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
teis said:
I don't know about you, but those players were called old like 3 seasons ago. And when I see them play games like the one vs Man Utd, I don't care. That's how football should be played, and if you can play like that I don't care how old you are
Count me 5 big games we've played decently and won this season.

Man. Utd is an unique match. Winning that game doesn't change the fact that our defense's average age is 31,5.

They were old 3 years ago, but now they're 3 years older. LOL.

We definitely need reinforcements in every area except the midfield.

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
DugiNesta said:
Yeah but he's the only solution.
LOL, but once I thought that "There's no place in Milan for traitors". :D

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
snn said:
LOL, but once I thought that "There's no place in Milan for traitors". :D

Better with him than with anyone, eh ?

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
We just need a second striker. Atleast that. It's the minimum. We have shit loads of depth in the defense line and midfield. Considering we didn't make a concrete offer for Tiago its inevitable that Gourcuff is going to be tested in Pirlo's role.

For people who are saying sign a CB... wake up for FFS. We have about 4 or 5 solid options Internationals and ex-Internatioanls.

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
DugiNesta said:
Better with him than with anyone, eh ?
That is for sure, but I was just referring to your inconsistent thoughts about Sheva, which we'll see on every member of this forum if Sheva returns. Everyone here who has insulted Sheva will eat their words.

Good, when he plays for us. Bad, when he leaves us. Bah.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
roy_il_diavolo said:
Real had won 3 UCLs from 98-02 but still went out and spent money on Beckham, Owen and Co. ... i am not saying Milan should do the same but hoping B+G would want to fill the little holes...
And what did Real win during the Beckham/Owen era, besides one measly La Liga title? Zippo. Four years later, we have the World's Most Famous Wigger and Bimbo Spice on our shores now. Thank you, Calderon.

albion tifo

Forever Milanista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
We need a striker and a left back. Janku isn't for us and Serginho lost his dynamism. The point is what we can get for the moment. Its only Sheva and Zambrotta avaliable for the moment I guess. Maybe we can solve something for future and that is Pato.It isn't all to our old fashioned managment to blame for our poor activities in market. Transfers are compared with gambling. Who would believed in 04' than old Cafu and young Kaka will do that impact for us.They was our major signigns after we get champions league.

rosso_neri

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Kaka, Ambrosini, Maldini, Nesta, Cassano, Crespo, Montolivo, De Rossi, Batistuta
a mistake in letting Oliveira go....mark my words

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No, it wasn't. He was never going to fit into our system, and he had ample opportunities to do so.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
rosso_neri said:
a mistake in letting Oliveira go....mark my words
I am afraid you'll be proved right only if he comes back to Serie A with another club and sets the league ablaze. I can't see that happening, but it may.

rosso_neri

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Kaka, Ambrosini, Maldini, Nesta, Cassano, Crespo, Montolivo, De Rossi, Batistuta
la liga top goalscorer for zaragoza

roy_il_diavolo

L'Avvocato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Baggio,Rivera,MvB,Totti, Nesta, Del Piero, Buffon, Kaka
BMWTaylor said:
And what did Real win during the Beckham/Owen era, besides one measly La Liga title? Zippo. Four years later, we have the World's Most Famous Wigger and Bimbo Spice on our shores now. Thank you, Calderon.

I mentioned that any such Galactico signing wasnt needed here.

Best of Luck to you and ur fellow countrymen.... it wont be easy tolerating his face everyday on both the celebrity/sports channels/papers. :D

I am not exactly sure but the classical definition of a bimbo was goodlooking+stupid.... victoria is UGLY !!!!

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
menon_inc said:
Well its basically what Wild said, regardless of who the targets are and how close Galliani gets to signing them - the end result of the "policy" as a whole doesn't pull it off. So transfer targets good or bad aren't coming through - which will lead to late/inflated/overrated panic buys.

Some might be saying the squad is pretty much fine as it is and that the management are doing alright on the market because we don't need reinforcements. Well thats bollocks, anyone who watched Milan's performance in Serie A last season can't fail to notice that the squad was left lacking in all 3 outfield departments. If it wasn't then why has the very same management been trying to sign defenders, central midfielders, attacking midfielders and strikers? I don't think there is any doubt that the management have identified Milan's weaknesses, even though at times it seems they haven't acted on them. But you don't attempt to sign Abidal on whim - so they like me conclude a defender is needer. You don't try and sign Riquelme, Tiago, Edmilson, Motta, Ribery & Emerson on a whim - again they have concluded that a midfielder is needed. And you certainly don't try and sign a striker like Suazo, Milito, Toni, Fred, Henry, Shevchenko, Eto'o & Drogba on a whim - which once more identifies this department as needing replenished by the management.

The argument about the transfer policy is not about wether signings are needed, there is consensus on that with most fans and the management. Its about how effective that policy is on obtaining the needed signings - and based on current events that policy has failed - so far not a succesful deal in all of those many targets, most already signed for another club or commited themselves to their current one.

Saarlane

Primavera
Reaction score
albion tifo said:
We need a striker and a left back. Janku isn't for us and Serginho lost his dynamism. The point is what we can get for the moment. Its only Sheva and Zambrotta avaliable for the moment I guess. Maybe we can solve something for future and that is Pato.It isn't all to our old fashioned managment to blame for our poor activities in market. Transfers are compared with gambling. Who would believed in 04' than old Cafu and young Kaka will do that impact for us.They was our major signigns after we get champions league.

No-no, Janku is just great. Still we need some defenders and definitely a striker, as Ricardo has joined Zaragoza. There's still half a summer to come and surely there will be some transfers made.

albion tifo

Forever Milanista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
Saarlane said:
No-no, Janku is just great. Still we need some defenders and definitely a striker, as Ricardo has joined Zaragoza. There's still half a summer to come and surely there will be some transfers made.
He doesn't know to defend, he is just a mediocre midfield player which Carlito transformed in LB and Liverpool almost explained to us than he isn't for that role.

Last edited:

teis

Alice in Chains
Reaction score
albion tifo said:
He doesn't know to defend, he is just a mediocre midfield player which Carlito transformed in LB and Liverpool almost explained to us than he isn't for that role.
Have you actually seen him play in other games or not? I'm really curious, cause when someone is badmouthing Jankulovski, the only that seems to come out of their mouth is Liverpool

And he wasn't transformed into a LB by Ancelotti, he already played there when we got him. But he's a player like Cafu, and in our system he can't play like he did with Udinese.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
^^ True. And even at Athens, Clarence was as much to blame for not tracking back. On many an occasion, Finnan + Pennant were double teaming Janku.

But he did make some silly errors + probably isn't a top rated LB. One criticism is that he over-commits himself when on his marauding runs - but thats probably more to do with instruction given our narrow play. Still, doesn't detract from his decent performances such as against United or Bayern.

And even if we were to get a replacement, Zambrotta aside, I doubt there are many available LBs on the market who would guarantee a better shift than Janku does. Speaking of which, to his credit, he played the most minutes in our defense.

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Janku is class, but not worldclass. There are many better options. He can be used as a backup. But it's not priority to replace him NOW. CB & forward additions are more urgent than to replace Janku.

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Tsar said:
Well its basically what Wild said, regardless of who the targets are and how close Galliani gets to signing them - the end result of the "policy" as a whole doesn't pull it off. So transfer targets good or bad aren't coming through - which will lead to late/inflated/overrated panic buys.

Some might be saying the squad is pretty much fine as it is and that the management are doing alright on the market because we don't need reinforcements. Well thats bollocks, anyone who watched Milan's performance in Serie A last season can't fail to notice that the squad was left lacking in all 3 outfield departments. If it wasn't then why has the very same management been trying to sign defenders, central midfielders, attacking midfielders and strikers? I don't think there is any doubt that the management have identified Milan's weaknesses, even though at times it seems they haven't acted on them. But you don't attempt to sign Abidal on whim - so they like me conclude a defender is needer. You don't try and sign Riquelme, Tiago, Edmilson, Motta, Ribery & Emerson on a whim - again they have concluded that a midfielder is needed. And you certainly don't try and sign a striker like Suazo, Milito, Toni, Fred, Henry, Shevchenko, Eto'o & Drogba on a whim - which once more identifies this department as needing replenished by the management.

The argument about the transfer policy is not about wether signings are needed, there is consensus on that with most fans and the management. Its about how effective that policy is on obtaining the needed signings - and based on current events that policy has failed - so far not a succesful deal in all of those many targets, most already signed for another club or commited themselves to their current one.

I agree with basically everything Tsar had said. Hit the nail on the head there.

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
fiume_1987 said:
P.S. When we won CL 2003. we signed Cafu and Kaka and marched to the scudetto triumph following season 03/04 when Ancelotti's Milan was IMO the best club in the world (too bad about La Coruna, though :(

I agree with the fact that our 2003/04 squad was the best club team of this decade.

BTW, a lot of people are saying that we haven't won anything for last two seesons, which is an absolutely right statement.

But at the same token, I guess, at least in our minds, we know that we should have won the 2004-05 CL trophy and that is no fault of our transfer policy, becuase I think we had the best club team of the world at that time.

Also, that year, we lost to JUVE when we were on same points with three games left. BTW, don't forget that we were denied for two penalties in that match too !!

Now, year 2005-06 was really not a great year but still we managed to get all the way upto SEMIs of CL, again, SHEVA's legitimate goal againist BARCA was denided by the referee.

So. of course, in terms of performance, if we benchmark our perfomance versus any other European club's over the course of last 5 years, and start measuring them by points, such as being Champion means 8 points, Final means 6 points, Semifinal means 4 points, Quarterfinal means 2 points and same with the scudetto and every other domestic leagues, I am confident that we will do the best in the entire European Soccer Community.

Thus, by measuring our management team by performance, they are doing real good.

Having said all that, we need some young players too and the cycle should always go on.

But seriously, we are not going to do anything in the midfield and frankly, I don't want to change our midfiled, even to the point, I don't want RONALDINHO to come to MILAN to upset the chemistry in the midfield that we have right now.

Forward line, as I have mentioned, one good striker will be enough for me. In fact, I am not a GILA fan and could have gone for a different striker at his cost, but apparently, we are sticking with him.

That brings us to the backline, BONERA is not the next prodigy by any means. Probably would have been great to add on somebody new by giving up old crows such as FAVALLI. Till this date, I have never understood the fact why we got him at the first place??

And one more point to remember, that we can only afford 2 players per position except goalies. Thus, without giving up old players, we can't buy new players, otherwise it will be too expensive for us to run the club.

Thus, I agree with some of the posts that we could have taken out some old crows (BROCCHI, SERGINHO & FAVALLI) and gone out to buy some new defenders.

The other concern is our weak sub for our GOALKEEPER's position. Seriously, that KALAC guy is worthless and I don't even know how good FIORI is !! We need at least an young keeper, who can play second fiddle to DIDA if he gets injured !!

With rest of squad I have no qualms or complains.

I think we will reach MOSCOW next year, too !!

FORZA MILANO !!

Last edited:

rosso_neri

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
mate, janku one of the best lb's in italy, enough about the liverpool game

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Tsar said:
You mean like Nesta? :o

rosso_neri

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
for me, 04/05 was the stronger than the 03/04 squad. kaka and sheva dominated in the league, i remember score lines like milan 6 - 0 fiorentina and milan 5 - 2 lecce. Not to mention having players like cafu and crespo who were in the best forms of their careers. Despite istanbul it was the best year watching milan for me. I think the 04/05 jersey is the best one to date as well.