AC Milan's Financial Situation Thread

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Anybody got comparison lists? And possible structure comparisons as well?

It's very hard to find, and some clubs keep it undisclosed but this article lists the highest paid director in each EPL club:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

Gazidis(£2.618m gross) came 2nd to Tottenham's Levy(£6m gross), but Levy's was due to huge bonus payments iirc. His base salary seems to have been around £2.8million.

Agnelli, Nedved and Mazzia all earned 400-450k each according to this article.
Paratici is rumored to get 1.5m as base salary.
https://www.calciomercato.it/news/318709/juventus_da_nedved_a_paratici_lo_stipendio_dei_dirigenti

Marotta seem to have gone from 1.5m net in Juventus to 3.5m net at Inter. That puts his gross base salary at 6m, highest in Serie A and EPL. But it's understandable considering his work at Juve and how desperate Inter are to mimic their success. They also have higher revenue than us and I doubt their 2nd guy earns nearly as much as Leo did.
https://it.eurosport.com/calcio/ser...estimento-lungimirante_sto7013020/story.shtml

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Agnelli, Nedved and Mazzia all earned 400-450k each according to this article.
Paratici is rumored to get 1.5m as base salary.
https://www.calciomercato.it/news/318709/juventus_da_nedved_a_paratici_lo_stipendio_dei_dirigenti

:lol: This reeks Panama Papers.

Would be interesting to know the structures, tho. See how different styles are. Should bounce this at @swissramble - maybe he can come up with sth. Most of numbers available are creative accounting, I'm afraid.

NB! Not questioning your point here, just having a conversation. Our bill is likely to be one of the biggest. Gut says that's our style.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:lol: This reeks Panama Papers.

Would be interesting to know the structures, tho. See how different styles are. Should bounce this at @swissramble - maybe he can come up with sth. Most of numbers available are creative accounting, I'm afraid.

Andrea Agnelli is a board member of FIAT and Exor which also happens to be Juve's owners. I don't think it's a secret that he survives on more than just 450k gross a year. I'm sure they found a way to let FIAT pay for some of Nedved's salary as well.

Same goes for City/ADUG and a bunch of other clubs.

Doesn't matter though. What matters for FFP is how much they receive from the club according to the books.

Yeah, I'd love to see swissramble dig into this as well. Get updated figures, detailed comparisons, perhaps finding additional salaries from different branch of same parent company etc.
Or heck, just another post about Milan on their blog.

NB! Not questioning your point here, just having a conversation. Our bill is likely to be one of the biggest. Gut says that's our style.

lol, I appreciate discussions about this subject and I don't disagree about creative accounting playing a huge part. But I was looking at it mainly from the club's perspective rather than the owners.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I think with Pep and Munich there was a legit question of Adidas contract. And with Man City as well obv. Did he also have Qatar with Barca?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think with Pep and Munich there was a legit question of Adidas contract. And with Man City as well obv. Did he also have Qatar with Barca?

Don't know, but Qatar became their main shirt sponsor in 2011.
It wouldn't surprise me if he has received pay checks from Qatar since he joined Al Ahli in 2003.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
It is massively corrupt and penalises the Italian clubs. Italian clubs must modernise with new stadiums and far better TV deals to have any chance.

Financial is not even close to being fair. For example Roma had to sell Salah for peanuts to Liverpool to meet financial fair play rules and teams such as PSG can pay £350 mil for two players. If you don't meet the guidelines the teams have to then pay massive fines. How will that help a club that is struggling to break even.

It is an absolute joke. If they start trying to ban the rich clubs from the CL such as City we will see these teams breaking away and starting their own competitions. Uefa need to fix this nonsense quickly.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
This once-proud club is officially dead.

How long have you lived in Atlanta?

Do you think your pessimism has something to do with your environment?

mazen111

Primavera
Reaction score
Ancelotti: "Restarting Milan is not a simple matter"

" It is not easy to restart a company as big as Milan ." This is how Carlo Ancelotti spoke about the time of the Rossoneri after Marco Giampaolo's exemption and Stefano's arrival on the bench. As reported today by the Corriere della Sera , the Napoli coach gives the Rossoneri management confidence to get out of the negative spiral: " I believe that the current management has the capacity to do so"

And again: " Of course, there are psychological, physical, technical and investment problems" . In short, not easy stuff after the results of the first days of the championship.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
One of the better financial analysis of Milan's situation that I've seen recently: https://www.football-italia.net/145358/expert-milan-could-be-preparing-sale

Sounds logical.

Financial expert Luca Pagni suggests Milan’s record €145.9m losses are part of Elliott Management strategy to ‘clear’ the decks for a sale.

Eyebrows were raised when the club announced the balance sheet for the 2018-19 season had them running at an unprecedented loss.

However, the directors are not concerned and so MilanNews.it asked La Repubblica newspapers economic correspondent Pagni to explain the situation.

It is all part of the same strategy that saw the Rossoneri agree with UEFA to back out of the Europa League and try to wipe the slate clean in terms of Financial Fair Play.

“Considering the situation, they accelerated the clear-out of the balance sheet. If Milan had qualified for the Champions League, they would’ve had an extra €39m at least in revenue. With that money, everything would’ve changed and they probably would’ve decided to make a more conservative balance sheet, postponing this process.

“The big problem we see here is that the sponsorships have dropped and so has the overall revenue. So far, Ivan Gazidis has shown no progress on that front.

“On top of that, the cost of personnel has increased enormously with an extra €35m, a part of that going on the salaries of Gazidis, Leonardo and Paolo Maldini.

“So faced with this complicated situation, and the poor sporting results, they decided to accelerate the process by getting rid of all the dead weight in one go, including old contracts.

“I was frankly surprised Elliott didn’t do this in the last financial year, but as they had just arrived, it perhaps wasn’t possible. I am not saying that they will certainly sell in the short-term, but that evidently this is being done to make the club more appetising for a future buyer.

“Milan don’t have debts with banks, so in case of due diligence, the potential buyer would find a clean slate.”

Pagni also points out the Financial Fair Play problems could also be resolved with the aid of this ‘gap year.’

“If Milan qualify for a European tournament in 2020-21, they will aim for a Settlement Agreement and will be able to work out a plan without that €146m to consider in the next balance sheet.

“The positive for Milan fans is that they no longer have Silvio Berlusconi, who didn’t have any budget for the transfer market in the last few years. There’s no Yonghong Li, who at one point didn’t look like he could afford lunch and dinner on the same day.

“Elliott are solid owners. They are ambitious, according to them. Some have suggested it all revolves around the new San Siro stadium project and sponsors tied to that could enter into the club.

“I think it’s safe to say Elliott have something in mind, whether it’s a sale of the club or something to increase the revenue.”

Elliott Management were never meant to own Milan, but effectively repossessed the club when previous President Yonghong Li defaulted on payments for a loan he had used to purchase it from Berlusconi.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Deloitte Football Money League 2020 (pdf)
Eye on the prize
January 2020, we out of top 20 in revenue

@SwissRamble

There are no fewer than five English clubs in the top ten, also including #LFC £533m, #THFC £459m, and #CFC £452m. However, #AFC £393m dropped two places to 11th, their lowest position since 2000/01. Lyon and Napoli were new entrants to the top 20, replacing Milan and #NUFC.

:( Arnault ples

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
If all the sales figures that Milan made in this window are confirmed, the club should collect from all players that left at least € 74M + bonus (not counting wages). Great recipe for those looking to adapt to the Financial Fair Play.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The vulture strikes, but we keep our main assets.
Summer20 will be an interesting one.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Just watched this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkVyz_ZaXUk

Two conclusions
I'm getting real old and, man, I miss the old days of AC Milan. What a legendary club this is.

Would love to see Milan compete at the top of Europe again in my lifetime.

I’ve reached this level of thinking as well now. It’s weird to realize that Milan have now been shit for almost as long as they’ve been great during my years of following the club. (Roughly 9 shit years out of 19). Will there ever be another great European cycle?

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I’ve reached this level of thinking as well now. It’s weird to realize that Milan have now been shit for almost as long as they’ve been great during my years of following the club. (Roughly 9 shit years out of 19). Will there ever be another great European cycle?

Yep :) We're heading into the start of one. I think we're a contender for Scudetto in 3-4 years.

New ownership this spring with a much longer perspective - calm and development will take us back.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Choose wisely, Necro, is he the ultimate mastermind or the Clouseau-esque buffoon?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
glad to see you again :thumbsup:

i was getting worried

:thumbsup: All good here. Chose to stay away from football for the last couple of months. And Milan's trajectory is not particularly appealing anyway. I'll be more regular once (if) the matches resume.

Choose wisely, Necro, is he the ultimate mastermind or the Clouseau-esque buffoon?

I'd like to believe in the image of the blundering retiree who loses suitcases of cash in central Milan, but sadly, that's often the untrue version.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
#ACMilan's squad value has risen by ?56m to ?391m, as per @TMit_news

Kessie - 20m ➤ 27m
Calhanoglu - 14.5m ➤ 23m
Rebic - 24m ➤ 32m
Theo Hernandez - 32m ➤ 45m
Bennacer - 17.5 ➤ 28m
Donnarumma - 49.5m ➤ 60m

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
EkCze7lXkAA2mRS

EkCzfrsWAAEyRu9

Benz_1803

classic 1994
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan legendary
Financial is good, but our max achievement is midtable and playing uefa cup year after year.

Fuck arab oil money, bloody money.