Italian Football Thread III

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score
Imagine buying a club, you invest in some players, new stadium is on the way and you appoint Vincenzo Montella as your coach.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
A goal and 3 assists for Radja.

Simeone scoring against the team that sent him away.

Cigarini revived.

Cagliari are scary this year. Actually very strong so far. Even more scary for a Milan fan with hopes for even top 6. So many teams performing well.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Cagliari couldn't hold on today, likely an important two points dropped that would've made them level 3rd.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Dybala yet again on the bench, cheeky bid for him in January? Him and Ibra together could be glorious.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
Why does Dybala start on the bench? He's Juve's best player by a distance and when he isn't on the field they obviously lack creativity. Ronaldo offers very little to this team when he isn't scoring he even prevented both Bonucci and Dybala from scoring :lol: Had he started on the bench instead of Dybala the result might've been a different one.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Napoli luck insane. Nearly lost to Bologna until last minute. They look very poor, a shame we couldn't have picked up 3 points last week.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
That might be the end of Ancelotti at Napoli

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Good job Sinisa

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I'd laugh at Napoli under Carlo doing so poorly but then I remember we're even worse.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
231801086-2f676aee-0f21-4eeb-a14c-6b494989d071.jpg

Who would've thought...

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
^To be fair, anyone who could see that Gattuso was doing a great job last season. Clubs and owners did see that clearly, he was in the running for so many good jobs in the last few months.

I hope he does really well and they go deep in the CL.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t think Gattuso is really a good match for Napoli. Possession attacking football compared to Catenaccio. Then again people can adapt and overcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Catenaccio is nothing similar to the style of football that Gattuso trained at Milan. And the more defensive, sit-back style that we played from November or December last year was purely an adjustment due to the inability of our defenders to defend in a more modern offensive style. Gattuso's first instinct was to play the more free-flowing style that we had played prior to that.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Catenaccio is nothing similar to the style of football that Gattuso trained at Milan. And the more defensive, sit-back style that we played from November or December last year was purely an adjustment due to the inability of our defenders to defend in a more modern offensive style. Gattuso's first instinct was to play the more free-flowing style that we had played prior to that.

It showed a lot of aspects of Catenaccio, narrow fullback and defending wingers. Last man defender next to a proactive center back. Having your full 11 on your own half doing man marks. Soaking pressure and hitting on breaks, it’s how most our open goals came. It’s the reason we struggled against defensive teams. In his year and half of top flight experience with two/three transfer markets in his name the conclusive system that was most effective for him was a variation of Catenaccio.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
^To be fair, anyone who could see that Gattuso was doing a great job last season. Clubs and owners did see that clearly, he was in the running for so many good jobs in the last few months.

I hope he does really well and they go deep in the CL.

It depends on how you see Gattuso and his tactical prowess. At Milan, many saw his style as pragmatic and hard-to-break-down. There was little leeway for him to get the Napoli job considering that every man and his dog were aware of his limitations as a coach.

But I think Rino will turn the ship around and bring some results, not because of his tactics or his style of play, but because of his leadership and simplicity. During the season, Napoli have needed less of submissive yes-men, tactics, instructions and all that jazz - but Gattuso's voice to mend the relationship between the president and players, after months of complications.

Re: Gattuso's next job, I always imagined him at a club like Genoa, and at best, Fiorentina. Ergo, yes, I'd never imagine that he would get a job at a top 3 club, whose goal is to surge their way into top 4 and go on a deep run in the Champions League, a competition that Gattuso has no manegerial experience in. In hindsight, however, there's much to say...

Luckily for Rino, that Milan experience did him wonders. Now, it remains to see if he has learnt from his mistakes.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso's style and effectiveness now is very similar to Ancelotti's in his early days. They are both managers who are not wedded to any tactical systems but rely on managing a group in the best way possible. I really enjoy managers like that.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d rather have Rino jobless than him managing Napoli.

It’ll hurt to see him in another team.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Romagnoli Beckham Berlusconi Pep Donnarumma
Smaldini will be Roma's best defender. Wouldn't mind him at Milan instead of that random Brazilian cb

Just came back to this forum to jerk my own dick. Also predicted leicester city owning this season in the EPL thread.

Dropping knowledge on you fools

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

This. People seem to have totally forgotten the way we played first games last season and what he really wanted to do. Shit squad and tons of injuries made him change his approach and he still pretty much delivered under those circumstances.

I think he'll do great at Napoli, which is unfortunate for us. Hopefully he gets to continue growing there and comes back to us in 2 years, when we're also be at a more mature stage.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I’d rather have Rino jobless than him managing Napoli.

It’ll hurt to see him in another team.

It will, but he did well here regardless of what people did. In retrospect, everyone who wanted him gone would've kept him in a heartbeat for this season.

A shame it didn't work out, and wish him the best at Napoli except where it would go against Milan.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Nah I don’t see it, Gattusos stock is up bc we’re doing shit this season but ADL is taking a huge risk that I wouldn’t expect a regular top 2 to make. Coming from a Tusso lover.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
I expected Carlo to have his usual shitty second season + fired but didnt expect to accomplish that so early.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Already down 1 against Parma :lol:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
https://streamja.com/9Z4R

Koulibaly:lol:

A very good CB, but ADL should've accepted the highest bid instead of giving him that massive raise that stirred shit up in the dressing room.
And now he's injured.

Koulibaly-Manolas is the CB duo that has conceded the most goals per game this season. 36m + 4.5m salary for Manolas. :lol::fp:
Meanwhile Roma has found their best CB duo in years in Smalling-Mancini.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Its amazing that ADL decided to hire Gattuso :lol: :lol: :lol: