Ricardo Rodriguez Thread

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He is more important than a lot of people realize, although he has the ability to influence games more and can do more.

Since Rino came and scrapped Montellas idea of only playing out of the back through the back 3, the two fullbacks have become a lot more important in the team's build up. A lot of people think that if the fullbacks aren't bombarding down the line the entire game and whipping it crosses/assists then they aren't good. RR has really good feet and moves the ball out of tight spaces and into the midfield extremely well, it's easily his best quality so far. This is important especially when you consider how many times try to press us high up the field recently, notice how we struggled after going up vs SPAL. There's a noticeable difference in how he moves the ball out of pressure vs say abate or other players.

Idk why all you guys are so impatient with the new players anyway. How many highly rated players in Italy, fuck man even at Milan, come here and struggle to adapt before finding their feet and flourishing. RR has shown enough quality here and there to show that he deserves time. Especially since he isn't the only player new to Milan and serie a, he's part of an entire squad overhaul. He is fine, he will be even better. Watch him become great next season or sooner

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Still better than DES, so I'm not complaining. He should use his right foot more tho. I think he'll be good enough for next 2-3 years.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
good analysis, but i don't see him much valuable for an ambitious team
Honestly if I see a Delph in Man Citys Line-Up getting burned from FC Basel I think if RR can fullfill his potential we'll go a long distance with him :)

Gesendet von meinem BND-L21 mit Tapatalk

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Bad in defense, mediocre in attack. If we don't see improvements during the rest of the season maybe we should start looking for a replacement.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^At the start of the season he was solid in defence and dangerous in attack, with pinpoint crossees

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. But he hasn't gotten that much worse compared to the start of the season, which means that he wasn't that good to begin with.

Dawn

Campione d'Mercato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Albertini, Weah, Nesta, Rino, Kaka, Sheva, Pippo, De Sciglio, El Shaarawy
Still better than DES, so I'm not complaining. He should use his right foot more tho. I think he'll be good enough for next 2-3 years.

He's worse than DES. We have nothing on the left whenever he played. He's too slow for a FB

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
Solid today and we looked less shaky in the back when he entered. Credit where it’s due

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. But he hasn't gotten that much worse compared to the start of the season, which means that he wasn't that good to begin with.

I think he just doesnt get into crossing positions anymore... maybe because Hakan and Bona are on his side..
Maybe you are right, not sure yet

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Gattuso paid special attention to Ricardo Rodriguez, reassuring him after an early penalty was parried by Emiliano Viviano.

“He acted as if something disastrous had happened. Diego Maradona missed penalties too, imagine if Rodriguez doesn’t.”

great guy

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
RR is a very good player but I have bog doubts he fits in our system. He's probably one of the slowest FBs in calcio.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Actually, he seems start getting along with Hakan and Bona. He's smart and skillful enough to become useful there. Not all fullbacks need to be super fast. Atletico's FB's don't seem too fast either, but they're pretty good.

dman32

Milan 4 Ever
Reaction score
Actually, he seems start getting along with Hakan and Bona. He's smart and skillful enough to become useful there. Not all fullbacks need to be super fast. Atletico's FB's don't seem too fast either, but they're pretty good.

absolutely correct

Even I try to look for a flaw in his game... I would say he was shaky at the beginning of the season, but now..the guy is smart and so comfortable with the ball (Even under pressure)

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
absolutely correct

Even I try to look for a flaw in his game... I would say he was shaky at the beginning of the season, but now..the guy is smart and so comfortable with the ball (Even under pressure)

Easily his biggest strength this season with us. I don't get why people are bashing on him for his Samp game. If it wasn't for the missed pk I'd say it was one of the best LB performances from a Milan player seen since ages (ok, that's exagerated too). It doesn't matter if you press him with two or even three players, RickRod stays comfortably calm and finds a way out of those situations.

People do really underrate how important that skill is. It gives us so mach stability in build-up game, it helps dragging players away from our attackers when the opponents are chasing the ball deep into our half and our defenders smh manage to play the ball out of that crouded area.

Also that goal from Bonaventura was initiated by a very good longpass from RR who shifted the game from his deep left side to Suso on the right side.

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
Also that goal from Bonaventura was initiated by a very good longpass from RR who shifted the game from his deep left side to Suso on the right side.

That was Hakan, actually. And when Bona scores both he and Hakan arrive in the box after running from deep in their own half. Gattuso effect.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
tumblr_p4eft7NUEj1rcg6fwo1_400.gif

http://december-nimbus.tumblr.com/post/171051273467

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
That was Hakan, actually. And when Bona scores both he and Hakan arrive in the box after running from deep in their own half. Gattuso effect.

was it? Unfortunately I deleted my record of the game and I couldn't find a replay on youtube where you see that pass.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
That pass was Hakan; one of his trademark precise cross-field balls to Suso.

RicRod - still not convincing enough for me. Nothing to do with the penalty miss of course, but I'd love to see him being more creative and unpredictable on the left.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
If this season and the 2018 games has taught us anything, it is to be patient with our players. I think RicRod will raise his levels he just needs playing time and more adjustment.

Like Hakan he will find himself.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Who's that Under? It was said he's the turkish Messi. Didn't saw that Under, maybe because RickRod hided him in his pockets. :proud:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
initiated the first goal?

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Who's that Under? It was said he's the turkish Messi. Didn't saw that Under, maybe because RickRod hided him in his pockets. :proud:

:star:
Kept him quiet the whole match.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
RickRod looks a totally different player under Rino...you can see he is more focused and determined.

Beginning to show his quality.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
It’s so useful to have a fullback who has such great passing with both feet as it helps our buildup so much. Improving defensively as with tha entire team. Keep it up RR!

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It’s so useful to have a fullback who has such great passing with both feet as it helps our buildup so much. Improving defensively as with tha entire team. Keep it up RR!

I agree in general, he tends to put pressure on Bigia with his passes in some situations though.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
initiated the first goal?
Jep, indeed. Long pass under pressure with his weak foot to Kessie. I swear this Ricky is so icecold he doesn't give a fuck no matzer by how many opponents he gets attacked. And best thing he rarely gives a ball away. No instead he just plays a long ball who let to our 1st goal.

And he's only 24 :proud:

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
RR is the Bonucci of the FBs if you want so

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Jep, indeed. Long pass under pressure with his weak foot to Kessie. I swear this Ricky is so icecold he doesn't give a fuck no matzer by how many opponents he gets attacked. And best thing he rarely gives a ball away. No instead he just plays a long ball who let to our 1st goal.

And he's only 24 :proud:

You swiss guys are getting too excited :D

Glad for him. That pass to start the goal was good indeed, I noticed it right away.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You swiss guys are getting too excited :D

Glad for him. That pass to start the goal was good indeed, I noticed it right away.

Ofc I'm biased as hell :)

What impressed me most was that he won 10 of 11 duels. Against Under, one of Romas most inform players. He was a defensive wall and initiated the 1st goal. So glad to see him becoming slowly the player who had giants like Messi or Di Maria in his pocket before. Who needs pace when you can create chances from your own half like sunday :)