Clarence Seedorf Thread

When will he get rid of the black scarf?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Awww.. he's *sweet* ? Sure he is. He's good at self-promotion + that's it.

----

from his site:

My grandfather, who is 96 years old, was born a slave. His surname, which is also mine, was that of his owner, a German: Seedorf means "country of the sea".

Correct translation would be sea/lake village (literally), village by/of the sea/lake. See translates to sea as well as lake, depending on the article, die See (sea) - der See (lake)... Not as impressive as 'country', eh ? Get your facts right, Clarence :D

Last edited:

Shevy_007

Omo Naija!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Pirlo, Nesta, Maldini, Baresi, van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard
Passion for *9* said:

----

from his site:

My grandfather, who is 96 years old, was born a slave. His surname, which is also mine, was that of his owner, a German: Seedorf means "country of the sea".

Correct translation would be sea/lake village (literally), village by/of the sea/lake. See translates to sea as well as lake, depending on the article, die See (sea) - der See (lake)... Not as impressive as 'country', eh ? Get your facts right, Clarence :D
LOL!!! :D like he didn't already have enuff beef with u, he just had to set up a crappy site. if only he knew :rolleyes: :eek: :head:

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:

----

from his site:

Do you really think Clarence wrote that text? I bet it's interpreter's fault.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
milanist said:
Do you really think Clarence wrote that text? I bet it's interpreter's fault.
I don't care who wrote it but I would think Clarence is the one ultimately responsible for the accuracy of info on his site.

shevy_007 said:
LOL!!! like he didn't already have enuff beef with u, he just had to set up a crappy site. if only he knew
He has beef with me ? Eh, I hate beef + insist on chicken ;) I certainly don't have 'beef' with him, all I expect + ask of him is to perform, or, if performance on the pitch is of low priority to him, a salary commensurate with his (non-)performance ;)

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:

----

from his site:

Only in the sake of truth.

In English as I know "country" can be used in the meaning of the village too! it depends on the context!!
Ye, you right in German "See"/"Sea" can be used in the meaning of both "sea" and "lake". But if Clarence means under country/dorf - "village" (and I think he does cause "Dorf" in German has meaning "village") and under Sea - "die See" then he is absolute right and correct - "Seedorf" means "country of the sea" - or "small town /Ort(German) of the See"

don't try to find the shit where there is not such one at all. And "wax doll" respect people who deserves it.

Last edited:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:

In English as I know "country" can be used in the meaning of the village too! it depends on the context!!
Ye, you right in German "See"/"Sea" can be used in the meaning of both "sea" and "lake". But if Clarence means under country/dorf - "village" (and I think he does cause "Dorf" in German has meaning "village") and under Sea - "die See" then he is absolute right and correct - "Seedorf" means "country of the sea" - or "small town /Ort(German) of the See"

don't try to find the shit where there is not such one at all. And "wax doll" respect people who deserves it.
For the sake of truth ? Are you German ? I know your German is quite decent but please refrain from posting FALSEHOODS here for the sake of argument :o

Village = country in English ? AHEM :o At best you refer to a rural area (dotted by villages) as countrySIDE but village is never synonymous for country.

Besides, it's a German name + there is no poetic license in how to translate it. Dorf translates to village + village ONLY. Maybe hamlet, if it's a very small place. Sea country/Country of the sea would be SeeLAND, no other possibility... You're WRONG + a rather rotten (lying, misleading) peach :o

Go take a hike :o

Last edited:

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
percik said:

Fun Fact: Canada means "the Village" in native american tongue. The Europeans ventured to this great land and the natives pointed to their village and said "Kanata" (or wtv) and the Europeans thought "Canada" was the name of the village, when it really meant "the Village".

Holy shit, I just checked, and clarences site is on acmilan.com...that is fucking ********.

Last edited:

Bambino D'oro

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Oddo, Diana, Gilardino, Toni, Volpi, Totti, De Rossi
cuore said:
Fun Fact: Canada means "the Village" in native american tongue. The Europeans ventured to this great land and the natives pointed to their village and said "Kanata" (or wtv) and the Europeans thought "Canada" was the name of the village, when it really meant "the Village".

Holy shit, I just checked, and clarences site is on acmilan.com...that is fucking ********.
haha i saw that on global tv..the canadian heritage thing lol

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:
My man! ;)

Passion for *9*, why are you always trying to be a pain in the ass? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

THE MALDINESTA

Lovin' Carin' N Nursin'
Reaction score
Fav. Players
To many to mention, just see the nickname ;)
Passion for *9* said:

I didn't read much about him, so I actually have never been effected by so-called-self promotion.
I've been following him since his Ajax's days.Not great admirer,of his playing attitude.But I admire him as a man, as a human being.
What's wrong with that?
And is it "corny",calling him 'sweet'? :tongue:

Please, Passy.You may hate ppl for what they did on the pitch, but hating them personally are ridiculous (except for Beck :D: ...coz he has every reason to be hated by me :D: )

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
For the sake of truth ? Are you German ? I know your German is quite decent but please refrain from posting FALSEHOODS here for the sake of argument :o

Village = country in English ? AHEM :o At best you refer to a rural area (dotted by villages) as countrySIDE but village is never synonymous for country.

Besides, it's a German name + there is no poetic license in how to translate it. Dorf translates to village + village ONLY. Maybe hamlet, if it's a very small place. Sea country/Country of the sea would be SeeLAND, no other possibility... You're WRONG + a rather rotten (lying, misleading) peach :o

Go take a hike :o
it is still your very weak argument - ask the native English speaker and he tells you that "country" can be used in the meaning of "village", so "dorf" can be translated as "country" it is a pretty known fact! Especially in Englad in the real "English" it will be used in the meaning of the "country". And thanks for judging my German skills, I am proud of it too.

So the point is the same - Seedorf in generall has made no mistake!!!! And don't blame him pointless.

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:
it is still your very weak argument - ask the native English speaker and he tells you that "country" can be used in the meaning of "village", so "dorf" can be translated as "country" it is a pretty known fact! Especially in Englad in the real "English" it will be used in the meaning of the "country". And thanks for judging my German skills, I am proud of it too.

So the point is the same - Seedorf in generall has made no mistake!!!! And don't blame him pointless.
Stop wasting time, mate. Ignore her.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:

Once again:: There is no weak argument but just ONE STRONG FACT + that is... it is impossible + absolutely INCORRECT to translate DORF into country, get it thru your thick head now + stop bugging me with your addiction to ridiculous arguments ! I'm German, it's my native lingo, I KNOW. Whoever translated it for Clarence was WRONG + I did him a favor to correct it. Period.

Seedorf = sea village + NOTHING else

End of discussion.

---

And you milanist shut the fuck up, you're clueless anyway !

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
Once again:: There is no weak argument but just ONE STRONG FACT + that is... it is impossible + absolutely INCORRECT to translate DORF into country, get it thru your thick head now + stop bugging me with your addiction to ridiculous arguments ! I'm German, it's my native lingo, I KNOW. Whoever translated it for Clarence was WRONG + I did him a favor to correct it. Period.

Seedorf = sea village + NOTHING else

End of discussion.

---

Hahahahahahahhahahahahhttp:
yb624.gif

"I Know" - "and that is the fact" ... "Passion for Pizdagi"

Since whan what you have said means that it is a FACT??????

"A Fact is the following:
  • A statement of an event or condition where the statement can be proven and shown to be correct (or disproven and thus shown to be incorrect) on the basis of some evidence, generally by other facts"
A statement which is not capable of being proven or disproven, that is, is arbitrary, is an opinion.

You can't argumentate it only cause you a German!
See - dorf means in German really See - dorf here is I am absolute agree (as the man who speaks German perhaps so usual as my two other native languages!) But if somebody translates in English See-dorf as "contry of the sea" it doesn't means that he is wrong. Cause, I repeat once more time, "country" can be used in the meaning of the village TOO! Open some vocabular and you will see.

Ok I try to make it simple for you. I can remember one life example. Do you remember such English group as "Blur" that at the end of 90' had a very popular single "Country House" so in this song it talks (in simple meaning) also about life in a country and means under the country "village"! And in the video to this song it is described and showed the "village life" in the country!!!

So here are my arguments. And where are your arguments "wax doll", who claims to speak only with "arguments" or is your "I Know and I have said" - your argument:conf:

P.s. song's lyrics

BLUR LYRICS

"Country House"

And so the the story begins

City dweller, successful fella
Thought to himself oops I've got a lot of money
I'm caught in a rat race terminally
I'm a professional cynic but my heart's not in it
I'm paying the price of living life at the limit
Caught up in the centuries anxiety
It preys on him, he's getting thin

He lives in a house, a very big house in the country
Watching afternoon repeats and the food he eats in the country
He takes all manner of pills and piles up analyst bills in the country
It's like an animal farm lot's of rural charm in the country

He's got morning glory, life's a different story
Everything going jackanory, in touch with his own mortality
He's reading balzac, knocking back prozac
It's a helping hand that makes you feel wonderfully bland
Oh it's the centuries remedy
For the faint at heart, a new start

He's got a fog in his chest so he needs a lot of rest in the country
He doesn't drink smoke laugh, takes herbal baths in the country
Says she's come to no harm on an animal farm in the country

In the country, in the country

Blow, blow me out I am so sad, I don't know why
Blow, blow me out I am so sad, I don't know why

Watching afternoon repeats and the food he eats in the country
He takes all manner of pills and piles up analyst bills in the country
Oh, it's like an animal farm lot's of rural charm in the country

He's got a fog in his chest so he needs a lot of rest in the country
He doesn't drink smoke laugh, takes herbal baths in the country
And she's come to no harm on an animal farm in the country[/size]

Last edited:

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:

---

Milanist, dude, try to aply to the admin cause of insulting statemants. Maybe you will get some luck with our very full of "democracy" admins and mods (with only one exlusion:) )!!!!

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:
blabla snipped
Percik, you can be as long-winded as you want, you're still dead-wrong.

Your Blur lyrics just prove that country can be used synonymously for countryside. Translated into German you'd say " ein Haus auf dem Land", not "ein Haus im Dorf". That would be a house in the village. Duh ! It's sth I've stated in my earlier post btw, so thanks for supporting my point. The translation Dorf <-> country, no matter if from English to German or vice versa, is wrong. Accept it. There is no second meaning depending on context, as much as you want to make the world believe. Country doesn't mean village + Dorf doesn't mean country.

It's really that simple.

I have to retract my compliments on your German, evidently I was to quick to judge, it sucks. So does your English.

---

Seedorf = sea/lake village, village of/by the sea/lake

So, Clarence, if you read here, do ask your webdesigner to correct the little mistake ;) It's no biggie, but you sure want to give accurate info, alright ? :D

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
Percik, you can be as long-winded as you want, you're still dead-wrong.

Your Blur lyrics just prove that country can be used synonymously for countryside. Translated into German you'd say " ein Haus auf dem Land", not "ein Haus im Dorf". That would be a house in the village. Duh ! It's sth I've stated in my earlier post btw, so thanks for supporting my point. The translation Dorf <-> country, no matter if from English to German or vice versa, is wrong. Accept it. There is no second meaning depending on context, as much as you want to make the world believe. Country doesn't mean village + Dorf doesn't mean country.

It's really that simple.

I have to retract my compliments on your German, evidently I was to quick to judge, it sucks. So does your English.

---

Seedorf = sea/lake village, village of/by the sea/lake

So, Clarence, if you read here, do ask your webdesigner to correct the little mistake ;) It's no biggie, but you sure want to give accurate info, alright ? :D
pointless!!!
and once more time where are you "self proclaimed" arguments:conf: again your "I have said and I know"

countryside - what is it if not the rural area, so - village??? German "ein Haus auf dem Land" bedeutet nichts andere als "Haus im Dorf" oder zumindest!!!! "Bauernhof" what can be in "plural" as "country" - "village" translated!!

I have gave mine arguments and in most of vocabular you find the meaning of the "country" as "village" or (rural area - that is prety much the same)!!! That is the point!!!!
and "my Blur lyriks" and its video prooves that Clarense is absolute correct!!!

and you are again without arguments!!! That is also point!!!

Next talking only if you gave some argument!

case closed!

Last edited:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:
I have gave mine and in most of vocabular you find the meaning of the "country" as "village" or (rural area - that is prety much the same)!!! That is the point!!!!
Not in one dictionary you will find the meaning of country as village, stop deluding yourself, really, it's starting to turn into a serious embarrassment for you. Rural area = country = countryside, that's all pretty much the same, alright, but village is a place, a settlement in the country, so at best you can say the countryside is comprised of villages + smalltowns + fields + whatnot, but NEVER that country(side) + village are synonyms. Get over it, nobody is perfect, not even peach, even if he's convinced he is.

and "my Blur lyriks" and its video prooves that Clarense is absolute correct!!! and you are again without arguments!!! That is also point!!!
Next talking only if you gave some argument!
case closed!
You're nuts. Attend a German + English course for beginners + stop talking outta your ass. Really now.

Clarence knows whether he can trust a Ukrainian bullshitter or a German straightshooter.

You'll see, he will correct his website accordingly :D

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
Not in one dictionary you will find the meaning of country as village, stop deluding yourself, really, it's starting to turn into a serious embarrassment for you. Rural area = country = countryside, that's all pretty much the same, alright, but village is a place, a settlement in the country, so at best you can say the countryside is comprised of villages + smalltowns + fields + whatnot, but NEVER that country(side) + village are synonyms. Get over it, nobody is perfect, not even peach, even if he's convinced he is.

You're nuts. Attend a German + English course for beginners + stop talking outta your ass. Really now.

Clarence knows whether he can trust a Ukrainian bullshitter or a German straightshooter.

You'll see, he will correct his website accordingly :D
insults, insults and only it that is your argumentation as usually though!!!

Passion for *9* said:
You'll see, he will correct his website accordingly
only if you write him the next letter:

"Dear Mr. Seedorf or Seacountry!!!
.... and that why you should be called Mr. "Lakevillage"!
best regards
and with love
Passion for *9* XXX"
P.s could you send me authogramm from Pippo

arguments review - no arguments
case cannot be reopened

closed

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You can't dispute FACTS, percik, like it or not. I'll ask him + send it on to you, knowing that you have da hots for him :D

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
Owww, did I hit a nerve, you cocky German girl?

I'm not clueless, YOU are full of shit. That's it.

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
You can't dispute FACTS, percik, like it or not. I'll ask him + send it on to you, knowing that you have da hots for him :D
Ok Thanks h_ney!
I will wait ahhhhhhhahhhhhahhh. He is so cute.................

And returning to the facts
truly said you made me search for it.

so

1. "The new Oxford Dictionary of English", 1998, by Judy Pearsall, Oxford

Country (often the country) - district and small settlements outside large towns, cities.

page 419

2. Studienwörterbuch. Englisch - Deutsch, Deutsch - Englisch.
Berlin - München - Wien - Zürich - New York, 2001, 2005 Sonderausgabe

Dorf (das Dorf) - village, auf dem Dorf wohnen - live in a village; to be from the country, he is from the country .......... .

page 910.

So, I don't want in generally to fight or something but I think there is no need to critisise Seedorf to be exactly his I-page only cause you want to do that.
this time without offence!
Maybe you as German would never translate it and mean under das Dorf "the country" (then I would be agree with you) but if he did it on his page it is not such dramatic or bad, as you presented it.
and don't forget to send me authogramm.:)

Last edited:

milan_my_love

▼•Moderator•▼
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Gianluigi Lentini, Marco Van Basten, Alberigo Evani, Paolo Maldini & IL Capitano
Is that it? Over and out? :conf:

I think for others it's interesting to read both your points of view! That's what forums are for, surely? As long as the discussions turned to arguements is ok, but turning em in to a battle field and insulting registered members for sake of ego or to show frustration over other members for some reason is TOTAL waste of time for others. :sleep:

Discussions like this is a educational way in not just footballers but also in countries and cultures, and that is something I truly feel granted to take away from this forum.

Anything posted in the thread from now on which contains public insults would be edited and deleted if necessary + the members guilty of repeating the un educated discussion would be dealt accordingly.

Thanks,
milan_my_love

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:
-snipped-
AGAIN, what you keep ignoring or perhaps misrepresenting is that your bolded translations above are NOT literal.

The real thing you didn't bold for a reason, eh ?

Country (often the country) - district and small settlements outside large towns, cities. (me: doesn't refer to ONE settlement, as village would, right ? )

Dorf (das Dorf) - village
Making my point again :D

'To be from the country' would generally not be translated as 'vom Dorf sein'... , as we make a succinct distinction between wider area (country/Land) + more concrete location (village/Dorf) + in the above translation the difference in meaning would get lost completely. The translation of this ONE phrase however, that much I grant you, is not completely wrong but only because some phrases are figuratively rather than literally translated from language to language. To be from the country is the most common phrase used in English to describe origin from some rural area, to be from the village would give you away as a foreigner trying some bumpy English, while in German vom Land/vom Dorf sein are equally common + the use depends on the meaning you want to convey. Also note that 'vom Dorf sein' can carry negative, derogatory connotations (Er ist vom Dorf -> He's an unsophisticated, not very wordly 'peasant' ;) )
The other example, 'auf dem Dorf wohnen', cannot be translated to 'to be from the country' + in your dictionary entry the latter phrase was used descriptively. 'Auf dem Dorf wohnen' indicates current location, not origin, to be from the country could mean you come from a friggin hamlet but could be residing in a city at present.

This is all wankery now :D

Important thing to note is: The words country + village themselves are not interchangeable/synonymous, as I've said all along, and especially when translating names you can't take too much license but are obliged to accuracy if you don't want to be misleading ;) Unless Clarence has changed his name to Seeland he would be misleading at the moment. To be from a village is nothing to be ashamed of + Clarence sure will understand my good intentions + appreciate the correction :D

Last edited:

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
AGAIN, what you keep ignoring or perhaps misrepresenting is that your bolded translations above are NOT literal.

The real thing you didn't bold for a reason, eh ?

Making my point again :D
And my point too! if you read the explaination of vocabulary till the end. But Ok, I tried only to say that if even Clarence made such translation it is not such big mistake as you have tried to present. Cause want you it or not there is always possibility to use word "country" in such meaning or in the "close" meaning (see the vocabulary)
"country" is more generall word that can conclude or "if you wish" can only relate to the "village" meaning - rural area and everything that can be more or less (including "village") related to rural area"

"village" is more specific and can be used only in the meaning of this small settlement.

concerning then "das Dorf" in German we could "if you want - we should" use by translation rather "village" and that will be more specific, if we use country we will use more generall word and thus let the chance to be misunderstoot.

But in generall I prefer to stand on my point - taking second options we would be perhaps not absolute correct but "in generall" makes no mistake or at least big one.

Passion for *9* said:
'To be from the country' would generally not be translated as 'vom Dorf sein'... , as we make a succinct distinction between wider area (country/Land) + more concrete location (village/Dorf) + in the above translation the difference in meaning would get lost completely. The translation of this ONE phrase however, that much I grant you, is not completely wrong but only because some phrases are figuratively rather than literally translated from language to language. To be from the country is the most common phrase used in English to describe origin from some rural area, to be from the village would give you away as a foreigner trying some bumpy English, while in German vom Land/vom Dorf sein are equally common + the use depends on the meaning you want to convey. Also note that 'vom Dorf sein' can carry negative, derogatory connotations (Er ist vom Dorf -> He's an unsophisticated, not very wordly 'peasant' ;) )
The other example, 'auf dem Dorf wohnen', cannot be translated to 'to be from the country' + in your dictionary entry the latter phrase was used descriptively. 'Auf dem Dorf wohnen' indicates current location, not origin, to be from the country could mean you come from a friggin hamlet but could be residing in a city at present.

This is all wankery now :D

Important thing to note is: The words country + village themselves are not interchangeable/synonymous, as I've said all along, and especially when translating names you can't take too much license but are obliged to accuracy if you don't want to be misleading ;) Unless Clarence has changed his name to Seeland he would be misleading at the moment. To be from a village is nothing to be ashamed of + Clarence sure will understand my good intentions + appreciate the correction :D
Ok thanks for detailed explanation. I think I have got what you mean. If Clarense change his translation I wouldn't mind.

peace?!?

Last edited:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
percik said:
And my point too! if you read the explaination of vocabulary till the end. But Ok, I tried only to say that if even Clarence made such translation it is not such big mistake as you have tried to present. Cause want you it or not there is always possibility to use word "country" in such meaning or in the "close" meaning (see the vocabulary)
Can't let you have the last word on it... In this particular case (and in most other cases !)the mistake is rather significant as it completely changes the meaning. Seeland is not his name AFAIK :D Now, we can argue till the cows come home about the 2 exceptions in which the meaning doesn't get all lost in the translation, but that's not the point; we have one particular case here to which these exceptions do not apply + therefore a correction would be advised.

percik said:
Thinking about it....

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
Can't let you have the last word on it... In this particular case (and in most other cases !)the mistake is rather significant as it completely changes the meaning. Seeland is not his name AFAIK :D Now, we can argue till the cows come home about the 2 exceptions in which the meaning doesn't get all lost in the translation, but that's not the point; we have one particular case here to which these exceptions do not apply + therefore a correction would be advised.

Thinking about it....
Ok I will agree with you last word. So this massege I will delete if you want, for my "small remarque" see my "vorletzte" post above.

Last edited:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So you want me to edit out rotten peach eh ? I don't expect you to make any changes, what has been said has been said, it's common knowledge our arguments get a little heated. We could however try to refrain from throwing in those 'little remarks' in the future. If that is what you meant...

Deal ?

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
So you want me to edit out rotten peach eh ? I don't expect you to make any changes, what has been said has been said, it's common knowledge our arguments get a little heated. We could however try to refrain from throwing in those 'little remarks' in the future. If that is what you meant...
firstly I would consider that hmmm pretty nice discussion as fulfilled its reasons and maybe more then this. What I have said is what I have said, Last word was behind you, my remarque I consider only like a small cosolidation and the right to save something for each other......you know...for the future... . Cause if there is no future I have no idea why there was a need of the past..... . The matter is - what can only come and how it will looks like...

Passion for *9* said:
At least I have nothing against. The truth is more important.