Copa Libertadores

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
No Boca Juniors? :head:

They've gone for a toss, even in the recent edition of the Argentine league [Clausura] they are swimming near the bottom places, i think 16th or something.

Sven would probably know why but i think it might be due to the fact that they havent had any consistency with their management??

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They've gone for a toss, even in the recent edition of the Argentine league [Clausura] they are swimming near the bottom places, i think 16th or something.

Sven would probably know why but i think it might be due to the fact that they havent had any consistency with their management??

Management is a factor. They didn't have the same sucess since Macri left the club presidency in 2007 to become mayor of Buenos Aires.

But also, the Argentinian League as a whole got serious structural and financial problems, River and Boca were the first to suffer - they can't spend what they used to spend before, and those years left debts for the current management to deal with.

And the most important, Boca years of supremacy in South America were due to great home-grown talent, guys like Riquelme, Palacio, Banega, Samuel, Tévez, Gago... The current generation of players is nowhere close to this standards.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Verón still got it. What a legend.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
in 5min the first leg between Santos and club america starts, I hope its a nice game, and ill keep an eye out for (hopefully) our future player.

piece of shit al jazeera better have this game on tv.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
in 5min the first leg between Santos and club america starts, I hope its a nice game, and ill keep an eye out for (hopefully) our future player.

piece of shit al jazeera better have this game on tv.

It seems Ganso scored.

I'm watching Once Caldas x Cruzeiro. I suspect a shock will happen on this clash.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems Ganso scored.

I'm watching Once Caldas x Cruzeiro. I suspect a shock will happen on this clash.

yep, a nice placed shot

btw, werent genoa linked with ze eduardo?

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Zé Eduardo is nothing special. Very average attacker IMO.

I noticed, was just asking since I heard genoa bought him or were close back in winter.

santos were meh against club america, game was kinda boring too.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
yep, a nice placed shot

btw, werent genoa linked with ze eduardo?

They just signed him now. Hes going to join them in July.

Im not sure how he will help them though. I mean they have got Paloschi, Floro Flores, Boselli, Zigoni, Destro etc. They are planning for the return of Milito as well. They will have about 7/8 strikers then for 2 to 3 positions :fp:

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
They just signed him now. Hes going to join them in July.

Im not sure how he will help them though. I mean they have got Paloschi, Floro Flores, Boselli, Zigoni, Destro etc. They are planning for the return of Milito as well. They will have about 7/8 strikers then for 2 to 3 positions :fp:

boselli is on loan, zigoni and destro are fodder.

Penarol lead 1-0

Inter :fp:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
1-1 leandro

lucky deflection :lol:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1-1 leandro

lucky deflection :lol:

Really lucky, Inter had build nothing the second half. This goal can change the game now...

1 x 1 is a good score though.

Edit: Bolatti is clearly a very good player, shame he couldn't make it at Viola. Tinga's Whopi Goldberg style hair is awesome.
Not much more to be said about this game :lol:

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Really lucky, Inter had build nothing the second half. This goal can change the game now...

1 x 1 is a good score though.

Edit: Bolatti is clearly a very good player, shame he couldn't make it at Viola. Tinga's Whopi Goldberg style hair is awesome.
Not much more to be said about this game :lol:

as usual, serie A teams with no patience for talented players, they expect a foreign player to preform asap.:fp:

whoopi goldberg hairstyle, :lol: good one

1-1 is a very good score, but the performance was :max:

now for Fluminense x Libertad, im gonna go for a postive draw.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a mess on the Engenhão, blackout on the first minutes :fp: someone opened the gates :fp:

This stadium was built only 4 years ago, what a great project :lol:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
What a mess on the Engenhão, blackout on the first minutes :fp: someone opened the gates :fp:

This stadium was built only 4 years ago, what a great project :lol:

i dont have the game on tv :fp:

fucking al jazeera pieces of shit :fp:

edit : just found a stream, omg they still didnt fix this bs :fp:

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
edit : just found a stream, omg they still didnt fix this bs :fp:

Energy come back, and them there was a blackout on the other side of the stadium :lol:

One hour late now, I think I'll give up this :fp:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Energy come back, and them there was a blackout on the other side of the stadium :lol:

One hour late now, I think I'll give up this :fp:

the technicians are fail :fp:

it finally started! was about to close the stream :lol:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
boselli is on loan, zigoni and destro are fodder.

But Zigoni just scored a poker in some friendly vs lower league side or reserves match or sth :tongue:

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is the Libertadores I got to watch more games ever (so far). I have free time at the schedule of the games so I'm following a lot of games.

I really like this Cup btw. For me UCL is unbeatable when it comes to technical and tactical quality of the games. But when it comes to the atmosphere of the games (most of all the supporters), all the off field factors and so on, Libertadores got something that makes it really special.

Though so far, there was not much of those traditional events (wich goes from the epic to the bizarre) except for the battle that was Argentinos Jr x Fluminense and Grêmio x Univ. Católica wich was really a violent and tense game.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Inter :fp:

cruzeiro :fp:

gremio :fp:

fluminense :fp: :fp:

brazil :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Incredible night. All Brazilian teams got knocked out today. No matter the advantage on the first match, or technical superiority, all of them are out.

Peñarol made an awesome come back in a packed Beira-Rio.
Libertad at home reverted a 3 x 1 advantage.
Universidad Católica just had to keep a 2 x 1 result made in Brazil.
And the most incredible, Once Caldas had to won by 2 goals in Brazil against the team with the best campaign so far. And they got it.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Pathetic loser

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once Caldas x Santos
Jaguares x Cerro Porteño

Vélez Sarsfield x Libertad
Peñarol x Universidad Católica

Only 1 Brazilian and 1 Argentinian left. Paraguay dominating Copa this year :eek:

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Once Caldas x Santos
Jaguares x Cerro Porteño

Vélez Sarsfield x Libertad
Peñarol x Universidad Católica

Only 1 Brazilian and 1 Argentinian left. Paraguay dominating Copa this year :eek:

What date are the QFs and SFs being played?

I reckon Santos and Velez to meet in the final. Cerro/Penarol are the dark horses.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What date are the QFs and SFs being played?

I reckon Santos and Velez to meet in the final. Cerro/Penarol are the dark horses.

Quarters first games are next wednesday and the second game 7 day after (11 and 18). Though some games can be changed to thuesday or thursday as FOX wants. Semis are on 25 this month and June 1.

It's really hard to appoint favourites now. In the eights, from the 8 favourites only 1 qualified (Santos). The other 7 were the underdogs (one can argue that there was no favourites in LDU x Vélez though). I think overall the level of the teams is very close between each other, and everything can happen.

Anyway, I think Vélez is playing the best football. This can easily means absolutelly nothing cause since Boca days, the team with the best football didn't won Libertadores (just like Cruzeiro this year), but still the display against LDU (one of the best teams in South America for some years now) was really impressive.

I also liked a lot the kind of football Católica showed against Grêmio and in the group stage. Their tactical variations, passing style and fluid movement off the ball reminds me Marcelo Bielsa style. It's a well crafted team (their manager is Juan Pizzi) and they have good players like Eluchans, Pratto and Cañete. I put then over Peñarol, though the Uruguayans always turn into something stronger in decisions.

Both Paraguayans are very strong, specially Libertad. It's a solid team with good defense and creative players in the midfield. The winner between Vélez and Libertad will be a serious contender.

Santos has been poor all Libertadores. Managerial problems, a weak defense... But they've got a good coach now and it looks like he fixed the defense, and thanks to very defensive tactics they qualified in México. Neymar and Ganso in front of a packed defense can make the difference for them from now on.

But Once Caldas will be a hard opponent. It's the most imprevisible team there. They qualified as the overall last one (with only one victory in the last round) and then they managed a miracle eliminating the best team of the tournament in their own ground, and showed a good possession football over the two legs. Problably no "rational" pundit would bet on the Colombians. None made it in 2004 also.

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant Velez. 8 x 2 on aggregate.

In a few minutes Santos x Once Caldas (Santos lead 1 x 0)