1/16 - Germany (4) vs. England (1) - June 27th

Who will make the quarter finals?

• Total voters

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Kalac, greetings from QF with your UBER defense.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So now versatile jack of all trade players are bad? I mean carrick and Barry are no Maurice Edu, but they are good midfielders.

Carrick isn't a jack of all trades though; he's just a sideways passer and nothing more.

Barry does have more going for him, in fairness. He's useful to have in the squad, but he's a long way off being a top player in any position IMO. I don't think he has the brain to be a proper holding midfielder.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Calum why do you dislike senna :D

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
4-4-2 with 2 flying wingers will NOT work in football outside EPL. 2 CMs just doesn't work. you get overwhelmed with possession.

I always got feeling capello went for the 3/4 CM midfield to try and IMPOSE more possession for that reason, and still didn't work. Sadly the 4 he choose would have lent perfectly for the ancelotti diamond

gerrard
lampard----milner
barry​

Anyway you can quib about midfield or attack but IMO..... All englands problems r tied to backline. You could see from moment Rio Ferdinand went down they looked worse and worse. If tourney was in 2009, they might have been serious contenders...

Ill also blame the terry fiasco. It's sad but true, england really never looked confident. Weird cause i thought they'd pull it together but while other national teams rally together with england there was a big 'i don't give a shit' attitude. Am i only one who saw that? Just didn't see passion you see with say.... south american sides

Yes, I think this is what he was going for. It seemed to me that Capello wanted to do something with England along the lines of what Van Gaal did @ Bayern.

Bayern played a 4-4-2 on paper, but Müller dropped deep, and Ribery would drift inside meaning that they never would have only two guys in the middle. Capello seemed obsessed with keeping the right winger on the right, and get Ashley Cole forward to keep width, so Gerrard could cut inside. What happened though was that the Right Winger for some reason was all over the place, which to me would explain why Capello kept substituting the player at that position. Rooney was mostly completly absent and against Germany he didn't drop deep at all... And Ashley Cole never really got forward as much as he should. This resulted in a team that simply couldn't keep the ball against Germany.

To me the English players are just not disciplined enough. Always saw players like Rooney and Gerrard as a bit headless and I think it showed.

Anyways, that's just my take on their tactics.

Regardless I think the problem is pretty obvious. There are currently less domestic players in the EPL than in any other league. Furthermore Arsenal, Man U and every other EPL club are filling their youth academies up with non-English players pushing out English players, since the clubs, unlike Italian clubs, are allowed to sign players under 18. The talent pool is just to small for a country that want to win competitions. This is reflected in the fact that the starting 11 might be decent enough, but there's really not that much beyond that. It's not like Capello let players in the mold of Cassano or Balotelli stay him like Lippi did.

Last edited:

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Regardless I think the problem is pretty obvious. There are currently less domestic players in the EPL than in any other league. Furthermore Arsenal, Man U and every other EPL club are filling their youth academies up with non-English players pushing out English players, since the clubs, unlike Italian clubs, are allowed to sign players under 18. The talent pool is just to small for a country that want to win competitions. This is reflected in the fact that the starting 11 might be decent enough, but there's really not that much beyond that. It's not like Capello let players in the mold of Cassano or Balotelli stay him like Lippi did.

2 reasons for that.

1. EPL teams aren't allowed to scout kids who live further than 90 minutes away. A lot of the players that are within 90 minutes of United are going to City because they are offering the families holidays, money and other tactics.

2. Kids are only allowed to train for something like an hour a day when they're under 15, which isn't nearly enough.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Yeah, maybe they can't train at your training ground. But you could give him a schedule and make him do it.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah, maybe they can't train at your training ground. But you could give him a schedule and make him do it.

You can't make them do it. You can ask them, but you have no way of knowing what they're doing really. Clubs aren't allowed to give them official training over a certain amount a day.

You'll learn a lot more being trained by quality coaches for a big club than playing heads and volley's in the park.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
You can't make them do it. You can ask them, but you have no way of knowing what they're doing really. Clubs aren't allowed to give them official training over a certain amount a day.

You'll learn a lot more being trained by quality coaches for a big club than playing heads and volley's in the park

South America disagrees with you.

I think the over-organization in Europe is becoming a bit of a problem

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
South America disagrees with you.

I think the over-organization in Europe is becoming a bit of a problem

That's more because they play 24/7. On the road, on the beach ect. Football is a way out for a lot of them, but it's a luxury for many accross Europe.

edit:

I do agree with your point though. In Barcelona during matches they let you do what you want apparently, they encourage skills and creativity no matter where you are on the pitch so the players play with freedom.

Last edited:

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
atleast the english team is always #1 in england..

lets hope they always keep it that way...

england have to organize a world cup soon.. or they'll never will one anymore.

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
Its very simple for England. Play either Gerrard or Lampard. Make your choice, because both of them doesn't work. Tried to infinity, never worked, at least one has to play in a position where hes totally ineffective (because both are arguably limited), becomes a liability in defence and on top of that they clash with each other in attack. Mclaren failed with that, so did Ericsson, I thought Capello was gonna be smarter. I kno its hard to renounce of a talent of either one of them, but for the sake of the team he should have done that.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
It would be nice to think that we are the golden generation rather than the footballers

Graeme Swann isn't shy about voicing his opinion after England beat Australia to win the NatWest series while the footballers lost to Germany in the World Cup

haahha

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roy Keane telling it like it is:

Interviewed 2 days ago...

OneUnited

Reaction score
Legend. When the sports media's contrived inquisitions are in full swing, trust Roy to tell it like it is. It's a simple game made complicated by idiots.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
A bit old now, but:

l8pqa.jpg