Gennaro Gattuso Thread

When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He's the kind of manager who gets emotionally invested in the players at his disposal and tries to bring the best out of them. He doesn't give up and keep pushing for a reinforcement. I really admire that quality in Rino.

But it's a bad long-term strategy. I think he was well aware of it and mainly acted that way because he wasn't planning to stay after the season.

I also don't think it's necessary to go that far to get players to work harder, or in order to get the best out of them. Suso was the laziest player last season. The exception in a XI with hardworking player. Also quite possibly the worst performer in the last 6 months of that season.

Players run more, or "work harder" because they're instructed to. Rino, Miha, Conte, Poch and Klopp all prioritize it.
Napoli players started covering a lot more ground immediately after Rino took charge.

Coaches like Montella and Giampaolo on the other hand encourage laziness by putting all the emphasis on other aspects.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
But it's a bad long-term strategy. I think he was well aware of it and mainly acted that way because he wasn't planning to stay after the season.

I also don't think it's necessary to go that far to get players to work harder, or in order to get the best out of them. Suso was the laziest player last season. The exception in a XI with hardworking player. Also quite possibly the worst performer in the last 6 months of that season.

Players run more, or "work harder" because they're instructed to. Rino, Miha, Conte, Poch and Klopp all prioritize it.
Napoli players started covering a lot more ground immediately after Rino took charge.

Coaches like Montella and Giampaolo on the other hand encourage laziness by putting all the emphasis on other aspects.

The threshold success that coaches like Rino/Miha achieve is definitely more than coaches like Giampaolo, no question about it. For guys like Giampaolo or even Montella, a number of situations need to align for their teams to excel.

I like the mental investment approach that Rino has in players over the course of a season or till the next summer window obviously. That's also linked to why he left Milan. When it became clear that we weren't going to adequately replace the likes of Suso, he walked rather than invest as much energy as he did last season on a squad with significant limitations.

I'm kinda wishing for what isn't possible. A guy like Rino is perfect for a low-cost patchy squad like ours. While he would never have stayed without proper investments for another draining season like the last one. So, an impossibility.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Sure, Maldini didn't exactly beg him to stay, and the way it was settled was clearly approved by both parts, but Rino resigned, he wasn't fired. He left because he wanted to.

I miss grintics, but not so much his love for Suso. He got way too emotionally invested in Suso and Hakan. I wasn't looking forward to another season with Suso and Hakan in the front 3.

The huge mistake was to go into this season with Giampaolo as the coach and Suso as the key player. Not hindsight. It looked stupid from the beginning to the end.

True. Let me rephrase, I'm sorry we ended up in a situation where he chose to leave. The huge mistake this summer was always continuing with Suso and Hakan as our main creators, as it was the summer before. Those two are simply Mirabelli mistakes which are really hard to undo. What a legacy that guy has.

This didn't happen and I'm very aware of that, but if we'd not pressured Rino into wanting to quit and equipped him with a properly executed mercato where Bakayoko was redeemed, and LW and fullbacks had been reinforced, we would have entered this season as a feared competitor for 3rd place. Instead we started all over again with Giampaolo while trusting in players we knew where mediocre.

I hate Giampaolo for being so inflexible and miserably bad at the things Rino excelled at, man management and pragmatism, but he wasn't given a team to succeed. He should have done better tho.

The thing none of us could have foreseen was what monumental flops Piatek and Paqueta turned out to be. I'm still baffled by it, after the fact.

Last edited:

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
3 wins in a row, next game probably 4th

got the team on track, as expected

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
3 wins in a row, next game probably 4th

got the team on track, as expected

Fourth is looking like the butt end of a joke more and more each week

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3 wins against top 3 teams of the league

what a boss

beegees

I have Ph.D in Algorithm
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Francesco Acerbi, Bakaye Traore, Kevin Constant
Gattuso's sister has died today. Our thought and prayers are with the family.
RIP

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Forza Rino!

Win the coppa.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I am so happy he's continuing to do well.

Considering his reputation when we hired him, it was laughable apart from that Pisa promotion and then conceding the second least goals while being relegated :-)lol:).

He did very well here and is doing very well at Napoli. Decent chance against Juventus and Barcelona too, tbh, but in no way are they favourites.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
I am so happy he's continuing to do well.

Considering his reputation when we hired him, it was laughable apart from that Pisa promotion and then conceding the second least goals while being relegated :-)lol:).

He did very well here and is doing very well at Napoli. Decent chance against Juventus and Barcelona too, tbh, but in no way are they favourites.

I say the odds are quite even. Napoli have been at their best since Rino took over and the players are *finally* enjoying themselves, whilst Juventus have been playing a dysfunctional system all season and have been bailed out multiple times by individual talent.

I'm sure it will be a close game decided by fine margins.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
By god he's done it.

Beat Lazio (Holders), Inter and then Juventus in a row to do it. And deserved every one.

How can you not love him

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
so happy for Rino with his first trophee as coach!
beating ladri to it as well, good job :thumbsup:

Underdog in SA and CL, but can he still turn it around?

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
so happy for Rino with his first trophee as coach!
beating ladri to it as well, good job :thumbsup:

Underdog in SA and CL, but can he still turn it around?

Don't think he'll get CL but I think he'll finish comfortably EL. Not that it matters now. :lol:

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
it's still a bit crazy to me that he's napoli's coach :lol:

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Don't think he'll get CL but I think he'll finish comfortably EL. Not that it matters now. :lol:

Well if SA doesn't work out they'll have plenty of time to prepare for a stunt in Barcelona

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Wish he was winning trophies with us, or got his first with us as manager, either way very happy for him.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Woohoooo!

So happy. No one deserves a trophy in Serie A more than Rino.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
200.gif

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It looks like he has been watching Pioli's Milan games and taking notes.
4-2-3-1...

That was unthinkable for him at Milan.
He said he's very flexible tactically, but there needs to always be 3 midfielders.
He also dropped Carlo's 4-4-2 for a 4-3-3 when he joined Napoli.

iraqi

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
super pippo - rino - kaka' - ancelotti - rui costa - van bommel - maldini
Get well soon
Grande Rino

WILL2K

Magical Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo , Maldini , Kaka , Zizou ..
Yes, hope he feels better soon, sad to hear about his condition...

Schedule