Ricardo Rodriguez Thread

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
The problem with Antonelli is that it looks like he's on the way out in every game he plays. His legs are shot.

With RR, he might not be spectacular - or even good - but he doesn't look like that.

Antonelli is Essien playing at LB.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Also, he is not the most solid player defensively.
I see no reason why Antonelli shouldn't get minutes ahead of RR in some games.

LOL moron alert

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
fraudriguez. very slow. very de jong like. goes two step forward with the ball turns back and backpasses. defensively out of position most of the time. most of attacks come from his side. so far haven't seen his crosses which are supposed to be his strength. borini has more successful crosses than him.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Kind of reminds me of Oddo, we can definitely still utilize him if other area of squad is strong but definitely could see why he was alternative to Kolasinac.

Can’t teally judge this signing because we desperately needed a LB and can’t hate on F&M for taking him even at his price

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the signing I am most worried about (and maybe Silva). Kalinic has limitations, but he puts himself about, and may offer a bit more as weeks go by, but with RR it genuinely seems like that this is...it. This is as good as he is. He is a solid professional, runs a lot, but he has done nothing that indicates to me that he has ample room for improvement. It's worrying for sure. I had high hopes for RR.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
This is the signing I am most worried about (and maybe Silva). Kalinic has limitations, but he puts himself about, and may offer a bit more as weeks go by, but with RR it genuinely seems like that this is...it. This is as good as he is. He is a solid professional, runs a lot, but he has done nothing that indicates to me that he has ample room for improvement. It's worrying for sure. I had high hopes for RR.

Exactly this. To me RicRod and Silva look like the two likeliest to be the flops among our summer signings. But Silva is still salvageable because of his transfer market worth. RicRod unfortunately is a dead investment.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Calhanoglu isn´t a perfect partner for him, both have a similar attacking approach (in RR´s case for a FB) and both are on the slower side for their position.

RR with someone like Deulofeu or Hakan with an energetic FB would both be better combinations.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
This guy seems to always get stuck inbetween 2-3 opponent players...don't know why exactly though.

RR and deulofeu could work...

the biggest problem w/ ricrod is that he is slow af...

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
The combination between him and jack is non existent.

A better lcm would do wonders.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
His movement needs to improve to establish himself in the tactics of Rino

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Initiated the 1st goal by a nice cross to Suso

Gesendet von meinem BND-L21 mit Tapatalk

dman32

Milan 4 Ever
Reaction score
Good game by him.... his passing is so good (short and long) and good at holding the ball

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
Fraudcardo Fraudriguez

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
theres no way in hell you claim to understand football and call him a fraud

If hes really intelligent the way Gattuso s saying he is then he will only get better with time,,

IL Diavolo 3

Fester
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Rodriguez lost every bit of confidence under montella plus the joke of physical preparations but make no mistake he’s one of the best transfers we have had. He’ll come good in time. I’m not even worried, you can’t turn into shit in a period of 3 months.

He’ll get better I have no doubt about it

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
theres no way in hell you claim to understand football and call him a fraud

If hes really intelligent the way Gattuso s saying he is then he will only get better with time,,

I honestly see it the other way around: There's no way in hell anyone with even basic understanding of the sport would highly rate RR. He's extremely average at everything he does and is in no way at Milan's level.

He costed us the derby points, not a single assist or a goal in seria a (can't recall any at least), injury prone, nothing impressive offensively nor defensively, and way too slow for what is already considered a slow league. What is good about RR? I really don't see it.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I believe we are yet to see what this guy has to offer. He looked better with Borini being the runner guy who pulls away defenders so RR had enough space for a cross.

Now with Jack and Hakan on his side, who are also decent crossers, he just give them the ball as they are in more advanced positions up the field. That kinda took away from his crossing, but i have hope he will find a way to use his strengths

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He is solid, in my opinion he would really shine with a fast winger like Deulofeu in front of him.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He is solid, in my opinion he would really shine with a fast winger like Deulofeu in front of him.

if crossing is his main asset then, having fast winger would deem him even more useless. if anything a better playmaker would suit him more. since hakan is improving slowly, hopefully they can build some chemistry.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I honestly see it the other way around: There's no way in hell anyone with even basic understanding of the sport would highly rate RR. He's extremely average at everything he does and is in no way at Milan's level.

He costed us the derby points, not a single assist or a goal in seria a (can't recall any at least), injury prone, nothing impressive offensively nor defensively, and way too slow for what is already considered a slow league. What is good about RR? I really don't see it.

I can totally see where you're coming from. I assume you have never seen him play before he came to Milan, so I can totally understand that one would think "oh well, if that's all he has then what was all the fuzz in summer for?"

Those who have seen him play on his usual standards before know what I am talking about when I say that he has a lot more to give to us. Montella has destroyed him as he destroyed confidence and fitness of the rest of the team. Remember when he just arrived? He was on fire in pre-season, assisting and scoring left and right. In Serie A he scored too (I think it actually was against SPAL after a fk). Remember in the first couple of months of this season when among a bunch of horribly playing lads he was one of those who still had a decent run? My hopes are that Gattuso will be able to soon get him on his usual levels.

So if your question is what RR is about I can first tell you what he's not about: He's not the fast-pace FB who runs down to the line to cross or score, he'll never be that. Offensively he's more a slightly aggregated playmaker, holding ball in the 2/3 line and looking for that early-cross or cut-through pass no one expects from a FB. He also is phenomenal at shifting the play from one side to another with his long-passes. I mean just look at our 1st goal, how it arrived (timemark, 0:30):

He can do much more than seen lately, where he seemed very timid for his usual standards and I think Gattuso is very well aware of that as he stressed it out many times in the past that he thinks RR can do more.

Defensively he usualy is very composed and calm. His strenghth are actually his very well timed tacklings. He rarely lets an attacker go because of his exceptional timing, which makes up for his lack of pace. I remember games when he had Messi or Di Maria in his pocket and speed wasn't even an issue. Sadly these days it's not the RR who is defensively so confident and almost flawless. Lazzari was on fire, true, but that shouldn't happen that he can overrun RR so easily. RR is also very good at holding the ball, you can see that he rarely looses a ball to the opponent, even when under pressure. Finally, even when you don't see him sprinting all the time, he's in almost every game of ours in the top 3 of km / game. He's not afraid of doind the dirty work. Very valuable asset.

Last edited:

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
^^ gotta agree with this... he is a little slow but looked great in preseason.

Doesn't look good at all though. And has been playing really badly.

Having said that his second half vs SPAL was probably his best performance for us this season. And he's miles better than what came before him - antonelli, Antonini, DeS, Mesbah, Constant etc.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
I can totally see where you're coming from. I assume you have never seen him play before he came to Milan, so I can totally understand that one would think "oh well, if that's all he has then what was all the fuzz in summer for?"

Those who have seen him play on his usual standards before know what I am talking about when I say that he has a lot more to give to us. Montella has destroyed him as he destroyed confidence and fitness of the rest of the team. Remember when he just arrived? He was on fire in pre-season, assisting and scoring left and right. In Serie A he scored too (I think it actually was against SPAL after a fk). Remember in the first couple of months of this season when among a bunch of horribly playing lads he was one of those who still had a decent run? My hopes are that Gattuso will be able to soon get him on his usual levels.

So if your question is what RR is about I can first tell you what he's not about: He's not the fast-pace FB who runs down to the line to cross or score, he'll never be that. Offensively he's more a slightly aggregated playmaker, holding ball in the 2/3 line and looking for that early-cross or cut-through pass no one expects from a FB. He also is phenomenal at shifting the play from one side to another with his long-passes. I mean just look at our 1st goal, how it arrived (timemark, 0:30):

He can do much more than seen lately, where he seemed very timid for his usual standards and I think Gattuso is very well aware of that as he stressed it out many times in the past that he thinks RR can do more.

Defensively he usualy is very composed and calm. His strenghth are actually his very well timed tacklings. He rarely lets an attacker go because of his exceptional timing, which makes up for his lack of pace. I remember games when he had Messi or Di Maria in his pocket and speed wasn't even an issue. Sadly these days it's not the RR who is defensively so confident and almost flawless. Lazzari was on fire, true, but that shouldn't happen that he can overrun RR so easily. RR is also very good at holding the ball, you can see that he rarely looses a ball to the opponent, even when under pressure. Finally, even when you don't see him sprinting all the time, he's in almost every game of ours in the top 3 of km / game. He's not afraid of doind the dirty work. Very valuable asset.

good analysis, but i don't see him much valuable for an ambitious team

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
The problem with RR is, as my friend from Germany rightly said, he plays well when the team is good. When the team goes down he'll go down. MAybe that can also be fixed.

He is a valuable player, has important technical dots and is a smart player in both ways. I expect more from him. Also he can help as a midfielder.

I feel Milan did not use him so far as we could.