Week 7: Genoa - Milan 05/10/19 20:45 CET

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
The road to redemption starts at Genoa.

tphZQ9D.jpg

Both managers under pressure, a defeat could lead to a firing (if Andreazzoli isn't fired before the match that is).

If we win, it will be a great chance to turn things around, with the international break to follow after this match.

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I don't see how the international break really helps us. All our above-mediocre players will be gone and Giampaolos impression of the remaining will be inflated and hamper the first XI in the following games.

I hope we win. As always!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
As Giampaolo and Maldini said, if the guys are playing as per plan in training, I don't think the issue is something that can be solved in training. It would then be primarily about how these youngsters are handling the pressure and the negativity around them. A break of two weeks and the international fixtures' distraction will help.

I would be really keen to see this:

-------------Leao--------------

----Bona------------Paqueta---

--Hakan---Bennacer---Krunic--

It's quite risky, very offensive, but we need gambles like that.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
As Giampaolo and Maldini said, if the guys are playing as per plan in training, I don't think the issue is something that can be solved in training. It would then be primarily about how these youngsters are handling the pressure and the negativity around them. A break of two weeks and the international fixtures' distraction will help.

this is a good lineup...but fucking hakan should be left out. his previous game was beyond garbage. there needs to be consequences.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
this is a good lineup...but fucking hakan should be left out. his previous game was beyond garbage. there needs to be consequences.

He was totally bad yesterday, but he was still one of the few decent guarantees from game 1 to game 5.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
The road to redemption starts at Genoa.

tphZQ9D.jpg

Both managers under pressure, a defeat could lead to a firing (if Andreazzoli isn't fired before the match that is).

If we win, it will be a great chance to turn things around, with the international break to follow after this match.

Yeah, we are going to turn things around with this turd coach + management, sure we will, like we did in the last match as well right?

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Andreazolli vs Giampaolo
Both coaches job depend on this match.
This will be a interesting.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
My team for the game:

Donnarumma

Calabria
Duarte
Romagnoli
Rodriguez

Kessie
Biglia
Paqueta

Suso
Leao
Bonaventura

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Andreazolli vs Giampaolo
Both coaches job depend on this match.
This will be a interesting.

And Gattuso is in the background, waiting for the outcome for both clubs ...

Noyon9s

Super Pippo <3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Kaka, Maldini, Pirlo, Super Pippo
I think Samu should start this game, he may not be as talented as Suso, but having two direct wingers on either side (Leao) on the other might be what we need to open up stubborn sides.

I wouldn’t be against Leao upfront and Rebic on the left wing either..

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Genoa's last 5 matches:
LLLDL - 12 goals conceded

Losing against them would surely be the final straw for GP.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

C'mon. You watched Bona 2014-2017. He didn't have the athleticism to play up top. The team would attempt a quick transition into attack, but it would fail because Bona was still stuck in the midfield. That was the most lethargic Milan front 3 I can remember. That's why a self-destructive Niang won that spot ahead of him and also why Bona did much better when he got moved down to the midfield, where he could arrive late in the box at his own pace. Sort of like Seedorf when he declined physically somewhere after 2007.
30, coming back from knee surgery, partnered up with Paqueta, uggh, I don't even want to imagine how that would look.

I don't mind seeing Leao in an unconventional CF role though. He's beginning to show how he could score almost as many non-PK goals(8) as his teammate Nicolas Pepe(13) in less than 2/5 of the time. Looks like we got the real gem from Lille.

But I think I prefer a 4-4-2(4-4-1-1). It would mitigate or hide the flaws of so many of our players. Bennacer's difficulties with a single pivot role. Paq's and Hakan's difficulties with a deep centre-mid role. Leao's difficulties with the defensive responsibilities of a winger and restricted world of centre-forwards.
Etc etc.

Leao/Rebic - Piatek
Hakan/Bona - Bennacer/Biglia- Kessie/Krunic - Paqueta/Samu
Theo - Roma - Musa - Calabria​

Theo behind him & Leao/Rebic in front of him would make up for Bona's lack of pace on the flank.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think Samu should start this game, he may not be as talented as Suso, but having two direct wingers on either side (Leao) on the other might be what we need to open up stubborn sides.

I wouldn’t be against Leao upfront and Rebic on the left wing either..

:thumbsup:

An alternative for me would be a 4-2-2-2 with a partner for Bennacer and Leao as one of the strikers. Samu and Paq as the AMs.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
And Gattuso is in the background, waiting for the outcome for both clubs ...

I would want him to join us, even if we win.

I don't think the Gattuso rumours have any credence, because he was the one who chose to leave Milan. None of the conditions that he wanted to get away from has changed at the club.

But who knows, you can never say no to a quick return in football (Zidane recently) even if the separation looked final. So one never knows.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I almost respect the choice of not sacking Giampaolo. It takes some nuts.

I don't know what's left to build on after that game yesterday. The team looked defeated for 35 minutes after Musacchio's red card. One of the more pathetic Milan performances in recent history.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
C'mon. You watched Bona 2014-2017. He didn't have the athleticism to play up top. The team would attempt a quick transition into attack, but it would fail because Bona was still stuck in the midfield. That was the most lethargic Milan front 3 I can remember. That's why a self-destructive Niang won that spot ahead of him and also why Bona did much better when he got moved down to the midfield, where he could arrive late in the box at his own pace. Sort of like Seedorf when he declined physically somewhere after 2007.
30, coming back from knee surgery, partnered up with Paqueta, uggh, I don't even want to imagine how that would look.

I don't mind seeing Leao in an unconventional CF role though. He's beginning to show how he could score almost as many non-PK goals(8) as his teammate Nicolas Pepe(13) in less than 2/5 of the time. Looks like we got the real gem from Lille.

But I think I prefer a 4-4-2(4-4-1-1). It would mitigate or hide the flaws of so many of our players. Bennacer's difficulties with a single pivot role. Paq's and Hakan's difficulties with a deep centre-mid role. Leao's difficulties with the defensive responsibilities of a winger and restricted world of centre-forwards.
Etc etc.

Leao/Rebic - Piatek

Theo behind him & Leao/Rebic in front of him would make up for Bona's lack of pace on the flank.

I want Leao in CF positions. He did all those things that Piatek failed to do game after game (except vs Torino).. working from deeper positions with his front to the goal, not back to the goal, utilizing players, running at the goal.. and actually scoring. He actually fits what Giampaolo wants his forward to do. So no question in my mind that he must start.

I take your point about Bona but I'm choosing to be optimistic about him. Players like him, who can do many things at an above average level, can often be the final jigsaw in XIs.

Bennacer is a real worry though. He looked completely at sea yesterday, and didn't particularly impress against Torino either. As you say, he needs some support from somewhere. Maybe he must learn to play deeper, closer to the CBs - rather than giving him a partner for a midfield pivot. Which kind of fits in with Giampaolo's post-match comments as well, in which he implied he'd try to shore up the defence first. So we are in that same Gattuso in December 2018 mode now when the manager is trying to make the team more compact. We might choose to play a deeper line which will give these guys time to learn each other's game.

Last edited:

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
We need some grinta back in our team .

May the Lord shine upon us.

Lord - Biglia - Bennacer - Rebic

—————-Paqueta———————

——————Leao————————

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We could also think about playing Bennacer instead of Kessie (not necessarily on the right, just as the more defensive CM). The downside would be playing Biglia.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Great ladder Necro. :lol:

I like some aspects of that but I don't think we've been doing well playing narrow so I think that's too risky.

I want to see this, staying more compact with Krunic and Paqueta staying closer to Bennacer. Don't really like the options for the right, if Suso is in the line-up he has to start making runs into the box - if he is truly incapable of that then I'd rather Samu or even Borini. At least some workrate and they'll get into the box.

----------------Leao
--Rebic------------------------Suso/Samu/Borini
--------Paqueta---Krunic
-------------Bennacer
Theo-----Roma---Duarte--Calabria

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score

Replace Bonaventura with Rebic and that could work.

Hakan is a shitty player but he hustles a lot as shitty and crappy a player as he is

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Great ladder Necro. :lol:

I like some aspects of that but I don't think we've been doing well playing narrow so I think that's too risky.

I want to see this, staying more compact with Krunic and Paqueta staying closer to Bennacer. Don't really like the options for the right, if Suso is in the line-up he has to start making runs into the box - if he is truly incapable of that then I'd rather Samu or even Borini. At least some workrate and they'll get into the box.

----------------Leao
--Rebic------------------------Suso/Samu/Borini
--------Paqueta---Krunic
-------------Bennacer
Theo-----Roma---Duarte--Calabria

Suso in any line up is bad.

We need to play direct and with intensity and go for 3 points in every game over the next 6 games

Suso is easy to defend and lacks intensity

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva

Etc etc.

Leao/Rebic - Piatek

Have to agree with this :thumbsup:

Leao over-exaggerates the curve of his run when pressing and is easy to play around, and he has the defensive tracking back coverage of a striker. It looks like he would be most comfortable in a Cristiano Ronaldo type role of left sided attacker-cum striker, with another CF occupying the centerbacks.

That being said, I think we can play the 433 and deal with Leao's defensive issues by playing 3 of our more well rounded midfielders at a time, ie:

Leao - Piatek - Rebic

Bennacer - Biglia - Krunic/Kessie

Theo - Romagnoli - Duarte - Calabria

Bennacer has the pace to cover for Leao and can play a more reserved role closer to Biglia in comparison to the right sided mezz'ala, especially considering Theo's offensive ability compared to Calabria.

If we can get two direct attackers from either flank I'd prefer that. The only issue with the 433, is we are playing with all 3 of our legitimate forwards at a time from the start.

So your 442 may be the better option for the squad.

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score
Start Bennacer-Biglia-Krunic/Kessie in the midfield, as we saw in the last 2 games Bennacer is horrible defensively.

Bench Hakan, Suso and Piatek.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Start Bennacer-Biglia-Krunic/Kessie in the midfield, as we saw in the last 2 games Bennacer is horrible defensively.

Bench Hakan, Suso and Piatek.
+1

Bennacer looks much more like an LCM than a regista so far.

Bennacer may have created two penalties vs Viola but it was those subhuman misplaced passes by Hakan that created both messes. He has developed NOTHING after over two seasons.

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score
I also think he can do way better as a LCM than as a regista.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Please, for the love of God, bench Suso and Kebab. I cant take it anymore. Complete shit. Just bench them. They are dragging the entire team down which leads to play 50 % worse than we already do.

Piatek maybe should be benched for this game.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Schedule