Ronaldo Thread

Ronnieboy will

• Total voters

zizousama

Milanisti Forever
Reaction score
Can't think of anyone greater than The Phenomenon. To succeed at four top clubs the way he did and to win the world cup twice becoming the top scorer of the greatest event in sports, what more do you need to do? All this achieved despite the devastating major injuries that plagued him. Truly, unmatched. Only Maradona and Zidane compete with him as they both were so important for club and country. Ronaldo, such a pleasure enjoying your talent over the years. Well done, you have written your name with gold.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Can't think of anyone greater than The Phenomenon. To succeed at four top clubs the way he did and to win the world cup twice becoming the top scorer of the greatest event in sports, what more do you need to do? All this achieved despite the devastating major injuries that plagued him. Truly, unmatched. Only Maradona and Zidane compete with him as they both were so important for club and country. Ronaldo, such a pleasure enjoying your talent over the years. Well done, you have written your name with gold.

I agree with ur every word. There will never be another Maradona. There will never be another Zidane. And there will never be another Ronaldo. The sport shud salute these 3.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Castrol Debate: Pele Versus Maradona - The Stats Which Reveal Who Was Better

We analyse the statistics to prove once and for all who the better player was...
By Patrick Reilly

Earlier this week we asked one of football's imponderable questions. Who was the better player - Pele or Diego Maradona and with well over 1,000 comments (and counting) the debate is one that will always split fans.

But what if there was another way of settling this matter once and for all? Critics of stats will say, "lies, damn lies and statistics" as a means of proving things but surely they are worth a look particularly when discussing the matter of perhaps the greatest man to ever kick a football.

For this we consult the Castrol World Cup Index. Analysts spent six months logging all 540 World Cup games from 1966 - 2006 to reveal who was the most effective player in every tournament. Every pass, tackle, header etc was monitored so we know once and for all who were the stars of each World Cup.

For convenience sake we are going to look at two tournaments where both Pele and Diego Maradona excelled - 1970 and 1986 respectively.

Pele 1970

At the age of 29 Pele arrived in Mexico for what turned out to be his last World Cup. He had a point to prove after being kicked out of World Cup '66 and missed the majority of Brazil's 1962 triumph through injury.

Memories of the precocious 17-year old who thrilled Sweden in 1958 were starting to fade. Brazil were overwhelming favourites to beat Czechoslovakia but the Europeans stunned the Selecao by taking an early lead.

Pele was involved in the fightback, earning the free-kick which led to Rivelino's equaliser and scoring a superb second as Brazil ran out 4-1 winners. The master was back.

England provided much sterner opposition for Brazil next time out. In a tight match Pele was involved in the crucial moment as his inch perfect lay off set up Jairzinho's winner.

Romania were dispatched 3-2 in Brazil's final group game. Once again Pele earned the free-kick which led to the opening goal which came courtesy of a bending right foot free-kick from the number 10. He added a second later on when he slid into the box proving he'd lost none of his predatory instincts.

South American opponents stood in Brazil's way of reaching the final. A thrilling six goal match was duked out with Peru in the quarter-finals where Pele provided the assist for Tostao's second.

In the semi-final Brazil once again had to come from behind to beat Uruguay. Pele was on hand to tee up Rivelino for the Selecao's late goal to make it 3-1.

Brazil were in their third World Cup final in four attempts. Appropriately enough it was Pele who opened the scoring with a header against Italy where he appeared to hang in the air for an age. It was Brazil's 100th World Cup goal but Pele was only just getting started.

The 29-year old set up Jairzinho's goal to make it 3-1 and it was his deft pass which provided the penultimate part of Carlos Alberto's memorable fourth. One goal, two assists and the perfect way to retire from World Cup football for the number 10.

Overall

Pele's contribution to Brazil's success in 1970 was immense. Overall he was the third most effective player in the tournament according to the Castrol Index. Along with his goals and assists, Pele is also remembered for the chances he failed to convert including Gordon Banks' wonder save from his header against England and the dummy which just failed to come off against Uruguay. He maintained his record of never being booked in a World Cup in his final appearance in Mexico.

Only team-mate Jairzinho, who scored in every game, and top goalscorer Gerd Muller ranked higher. It was quite a way to bow out from football's greatest stage.

Castrol Index 1970 - Scores Out of 10

1) Gerd Muller (West Germany) - 9.86
2) Jairzinho (Brazil) - 9.74
3) Pele (Brazil) - 9.56

Maradona 1986

Although Diego Armando Maradona played in four World Cup tournaments his 1986 performance will forever be his magnum opus.

Just like the man he's most often compared to Maradona arrived in Mexico like Pele did in 1970 determined to make an impact. A teenage Diego was omitted from Argentina's World Cup winning squad in 1978 and his 1982 tournament ended in disgrace as he was sent off for a dreadful tackle against Brazil.

Maradona demonstrated his influence on La Albiceleste by providing the assists for all three goals in Argentina's first game against South Korea. In the next game against Italy Maradona hooked in the equaliser against the Azzurri with a volley from a difficult angle.

Argentina topped the group with a 2-0 win over Bulgaria where once more Maradona supplied a cross for Jorge Burruchaga to nod home and make it two.

Parallels with Brazil's path to the final in Mexico 16 years earlier were apparent. Argentina had to beat Uruguay and England to go all the way and against the South Americans in the last 16 Maradona was inevitably involved in the build up play which led to their 1-0 over the Copa America holders.

Forests have been felled to accommodate the library of works on the quarter-final against England. The facts are thus - Argentina won 2-1 courtesy of two goals which displayed contrasting character of their number 10.

His first, the infamous hand of God, revealed his craftiness and to many was unforgivable, while his second is regarded as the greatest goal of all time. The man himself said it was 'the dream goal.'

Maradona's ultimate dream was to win the World Cup as he revealed in an interview in his youth. In the semi-final against Belgium he was again peerless scoring a typical poacher's goal just after half-time before going on another mazy dribble to score the second which ranked with his feat against England.

El Diego was one step away from achieving his dream and it was his perfect pass which set up Burruchaga's winner to beat West Germany 3-2 in a classic final. He'd won the World Cup for Argentina and for many their captain had won it on his own.

Overall

Maradona dominated Mexico 1986. The Castrol Index reveals that the captain scored or assisted 10 of Argentina's 14 goals and attempted or created 52% of all La Albiceleste's shots. In addition he embarked on 90 dribbles some three times more than any other player. Not content with that, El Diego was fouled 53 times winning his country twice as many free-kicks as any player who featured in Mexico '86. He was booked once but waited until the final to commit the offence.

Unsurprisingly, Maradona is well clear in the Castrol Index for his feats in Mexico.

Castrol Index 1986 - Scores out of 10

1) Diego Maradona (Argentina) - 9.80
2) Jose Luis Brown (Argentina) - 9.68
3) Gary Lineker (England) - 9.68

The Verdict

After all the arguments the statistics are clear. Both Pele and Maradona enjoyed superb tournaments in Mexico separated by 16 years but it was Argentina's number 10 who was more influential. It's often been argued that Argentina's World Cup winners of '86 weren't a great team but four of them get into the Castrol Index best XI of the tournament which compares with three Brazilians for 1970.

In the ultimate Castrol Index World Cup XI of all time it's Maradona and not Pele who makes it into the team. Pele's ranking of 9.56 is lower by .24 points behind his great rival but both legends are trailing behind another South American great - :star:Ronaldo:star: - who claimed an amazing 9.87 in World Cup 2002.

If raw statistics are to be factored into this debate then it's Maradona and not Pele who is the greatest player of all time based on their form in a single World Cup where they were both outstanding.

Hear that bitches Ronaldo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pele AND Maradonna :o

The KING = Ronaldo :proud:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Castrol ratings - making football into darts since year x.

(didn't read past title)

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
But he's only a point ahead of Gerd Muller.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Castrol ratings - making football into darts since year x.

(didn't read past title)
Don't put much into castrol's heavily premiershit biased rankings but they have at least an intelligent means of assessment. The ratings they gave some of our players are such ridiculous ratings that they diminish all credibility as an actual ranking system. The assessment isn't bad because at the end of the day you have to say that Diego accomplished a bigger feat in leading an average Argentina than Pele being the best in a star studded team. The system breaks down when used as a barometer of comparison.

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
You do realise that those ratings are just for one world cup right? Pele's 1970 and Maradona's 1986. Comparing players on one tournament is ridiculous. Just Fontaine would be the best player ever if it was calculated like that due to him scoring 14 in a tournament.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
You do realise that those ratings are just for one world cup right? Pele's 1970 and Maradona's 1986. Comparing players on one tournament is ridiculous. Just Fontaine would be the best player ever if it was calculated like that due to him scoring 14 in a tournament.

And he's Moroccan! :eek:

I had no idea! :eek:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team

And he's Moroccan! :eek:

I had no idea! :eek:

Well i was close and going by memory.

But be had to retire due to breaking both of his legs. Enjoy your brittle bones, Moroccans.

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir

Ronaldo scores against Flamengo.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Q. The forward that has drived you crazy?
A. Ronaldo when he arrived at Inter. I've never seen anyone like him.

-Costacurta

:proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud:
:star::star::star::star::star::star::star:
:proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud::proud:

First Maldini, Now Costacurta. Ronaldo truly was the greatest the world has ever seen.

akewander

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka , Maldini, Zidane, Pato, Thiago silva, Gattuso.
ronaldo scored a penalty

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
So last game Ronaldo makes an assist, and then

ronaldo-caido.JPG

Nothing new.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
scoring and getting injured. everything is fine in the world
GOD

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I saw when he scored the penalty vs Cruzerio (his first pro club :rolleyes: ) What I didn't see was the goal vs Flamengo...anybody has clips? Ronaldo9's doesn't work. Thanks in adv :)

Great quote Wet Ones :star:

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players

Having this much skill is inhuman.:D

Nesta_Pirlo

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Pirlo, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Ballack, Pato, Mueller, Lahm, Maldini
If ***lardo isn't better than Zidane, how can he be better than Maradona or Pele?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/article?contentId=2179204

Because these kids have not seen Pele or Maradona in action

They HAVE seen Zidane in action

Pele and Maradona are the 2 most Influential and huge figures in footbal

Ronaldo WAS good but not even near these 2 monsters

Don't listen to these ignorants they know not of what they are talking about

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because these kids have not seen Pele or Maradona in action

They HAVE seen Zidane in action

Pele and Maradona are the 2 most Influential and huge figures in footbal

Ronaldo WAS good but not even near these 2 monsters

Don't listen to these ignorants they know not of what they are talking about

In Brazil Romário is, in general, rated higher than Ronaldo. And Zidane is considered better than those two. That's just to stay in the last 20 or 15 years.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players

for madtrechot:cool:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
This guy was pretty good ;)

That 'what kind of footballer' thread reminded me of why i love ronaldo so much. I remember playing on playground when i was 10-14.... which would be like 1995-98ish range. EVERYONE wanted to be ronaldo....try to do elasticos etc. However brief is prime, I'll stand by saying at his top form, no forward touches him. Shame he never had the longevity, but a true legend of the game, goes beyond team or country really.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
This guy was pretty good ;)

That 'what kind of footballer' thread reminded me of why i love ronaldo so much. I remember playing on playground when i was 10-14.... which would be like 1995-98ish range. EVERYONE wanted to be ronaldo....try to do elasticos etc. However brief is prime, I'll stand by saying at his top form, no forward touches him. Shame he never had the longevity, but a true legend of the game, goes beyond team or country really.

Aww that reminds me of my cousin, his my age, around 97-98 he looked exactly like Ronaldo and he was his favorite player ever, I swear he even had the same teeth :D. He wouldn't play if he wasn't Ronaldo and he tried to copy his style and everything, he cried after the 98 final so much lol.

Schedule