What book are you reading now? (books)

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
I've started with Confession of Saint Augustine. The use of old english will probably stop me from reading all of it, but I've loved various quotes from him so hopefully I'll enjoy the rest. Recently, I decided it's time to read books. After Carlo's auotbiography, and reading most of Inverting the Pyramid (stopped after Capello's Milan ...will finish it later), and Zlatan's autobiography. These are things that interest me most, and thus reading will be less boring.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic

Yoshi

ahmedwuzhere
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo(R9), El Shaarawy, Nesta, Neymar, Montolivo, Maldini, Dinho, De Sciglio, Iniesta, Pato
Just finished Stieg Larsson's Millennium series... I'd suggest them to anybody that's interested in the mystery/ thriller genres. I'm still pissed off that it ended cause apparently it was supposed to go on for ~10 books but Larsson died while writing the 4th and 5th one... I rarely even read books but after watching Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last week, I picked them up at the library and couldn't stop reading lol

http://www.amazon.com/Stieg-Larssons-Millennium-Trilogy-Bundle/dp/0307594777

derpu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Demetrio Albertini, Prinz Eugen
I am on my Sherlock Holmes marathon month :D

Just finished reading:

1. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

2. A Study In Scarlet

3. The Sign of Four

4. The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Currently reading: The Valley of Fear

Next on the List:

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, His Last Bow, The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock fans will notice that I read the books in no particular order :lol:

Last edited:

.A.K.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka,Pato,Maldini,Inzaghi
just finished wheres wally

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been reading Soccernomics lately albeit at a very slow pace. This quote is from Boudewijn Zenden:

Milan: best club ever. AC Milan is organized in a way you can’t believe. Anything is done for you: you arrive, you get your house, it’s fully furnished, you get five cars to choose from, you know the sky’s the limit. They really say: we’ll take care of everything else; you make sure you play really well. Whereas unfortunately in a lot of clubs, you have to get after it yourself. . . . Sometimes you get to a club, and you’ve got people actually at the club who take profit from players.

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
I wanted to read Soccernomics but I could only find it on amazon for some astronomical price :/

And I'm yet to read "inverting the pyramid" - which i got for xmas

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Been reading Soccernomics lately albeit at a very slow pace. This quote is from Boudewijn Zenden:

:thumbsup: Great read

Alot of praise for Milan /our relocation policies :cool: + Milan Lab

Early on, AC Milan’s in-house medical outfit found that just by studying a player’s jump, it could predict with 70 percent accuracy whether he would get injured. It then collected millions of data on each of the team’s players on computers, and in the process stumbled upon the secret of eternal youth. (It’s still a secret: no other club has a Milan Lab, and the lab won’t divulge its findings, which is why players at other clubs are generally finished by their early thirties.)Most of Milan’s starting eleven who beat Liverpool in the Champions League final of 2007 were thirty-one or older: Paolo Maldini,
the captain, was thirty-eight, and Filippo Inzaghi, scorer of both of
Milan’s goals, was thirty-three. In large part, that trophy was won by
the Milan Lab and its database.

But this cracked me up

In 1983 AC Milan spotted a talented young black forward playing for
Watford. The word is that the player Milan liked was John Barnes, and
that it then confused him with his fellow black teammate Luther Blissett.
Whatever the truth, the Italians ended up paying Watford a “transfer
fee” of $1.4 million for Blissett.
As a player Blissett became such a joke in Italy that the name
“Luther Blissett” is now used as a pseudonym by groups of Italian anarchist
writers. He spent one unhappy year in Milan, before the club sold
him back to Watford for just over half the sum it had paid for him. At
least that year gave soccer one of its best quotes: “No matter how much
money you have here,” Blissett lamented, “you can’t seem to get Rice
Krispies.” More on Rice Krispies later.

:fp::lol::lol::lol:

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
I must get this book "Soccernomics"
It seems to be a fun read.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

Nice quote. Treating the players well has clearly become a policy for Galliani and it pays off.

But don't mind me asking, what does Zenden have to do with Milan?

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In 1983 AC Milan spotted a talented young black forward playing for
Watford. The word is that the player Milan liked was John Barnes, and
that it then confused him with his fellow black teammate Luther Blissett.
Whatever the truth, the Italians ended up paying Watford a “transfer
fee” of $1.4 million for Blissett.
As a player Blissett became such a joke in Italy that the name
“Luther Blissett” is now used as a pseudonym by groups of Italian anarchist
writers. He spent one unhappy year in Milan, before the club sold
him back to Watford for just over half the sum it had paid for him. At
least that year gave soccer one of its best quotes: “No matter how much
money you have here,” Blissett lamented, “you can’t seem to get Rice
Krispies.” More on Rice Krispies later.

I once had a lecture with a sociologist researching on the subject of Luther Blissett (I mean the anarchist writers and groups promoting stunts and media hoaxes under his name, not the player of course). I think I got a book on the subject somewhere also.

Very interesting stuff.

Edit: There's a good article on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Blissett_(nom_de_plume)

June 17, 1995. A few dozen participating to the Roman Radio Blissett boarded a night tram at different consecutive stops. A rave party took place on the vehicle until the police decided to stop it. Requested to disembark and identify themselves, the ravers refused to identify themselves other than with the multiple-use name. A riot ensued in which the police fired three shots in the air. A journalist from Radio Citta' Futura covered the event with his cell phone broadcasting the riot and the shots on the radio program. The radio program caused a media sensation.

June 1995. Loota is a female chimpanzee whose paintings are to be exhibited at the Venice Biennale of Contemporary Arts. In the context of the hoax, Loota is described as a former victim of sadistic experiments in a pharmaceutical lab. The monkey was then saved by the Animal Liberation Front, and later became a talented artist. Some newspapers announced the event. Unfortunately, Loota did not exist.

Those two are the exactly one's I remember.

There was also an experimental album of eletronic music with his name:

R-357938-1102443795.jpg

Last edited:

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice quote. Treating the players well has clearly become a policy for Galliani and it pays off.

But don't mind me asking, what does Zenden have to do with Milan?

Don't know. The writers attributed that quote to him. Maybe the Dutch we had told him that.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
I once had a lecture with a sociologist researching on the subject of Luther Blissett (I mean the anarchist writers and groups promoting stunts and media hoaxes under his name, not the player of course). I think I got a book on the subject somewhere also.

Very interesting stuff.

Edit: There's a good article on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Blissett_(nom_de_plume)

Those two are the exactly one's I remember.

There was also an experimental album of eletronic music with his name:

R-357938-1102443795.jpg

Ha! :D Very Interesting indeed ,Cheers :thumbsup:

sushanmilano

Nostalgia....
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Nesta, Pirlo, Thiago, Zlatan, Iniesta, Laudrup, El Shaarawy, Seedorf, Batigol
A song of ice and fire :eek::eek: completed 4 books, cant wait to start 5. I love it , i love it , i love it...:proud:

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
Just finished reading a short book, "It's not how good you are but how good you want to be" by Paul Arden.

Next will read "John dies at the end" by David Wong.

luke07

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Boban,Bierhoff, Sheva,Pjanic,Keisuke Honda,Teppei Sakamoto,Bastian Schweinsteiger
teen novel

The Warlock # The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

almost a month and still couldn't finish it yet :fp:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Currently reading "Schindler's Ark" that later got made into the movie "Schindler's List". Nice read so far.

CurvaSudMilano

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Abate Silva Zambrotta Gattuso Ambrosini Boateng Pato Robinho Inzaghi Shevchenko Kaka
Anyone have a download link to I am Zlatan?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
The City & The City by China Mieville.

Incredible setting and concept. Loving it.

luke07

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Boban,Bierhoff, Sheva,Pjanic,Keisuke Honda,Teppei Sakamoto,Bastian Schweinsteiger
tons of

"Applied finite difference time domain method in GPR forward modeling" books + papers

fuck my life :mad:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Finished Gomorra. It's like 280 pages of journalistic report. I liked the movie but this is way better. Introduces the system bit by bit.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading a Japanese classic writer, Yukio Mishima. I loved a collection of his short stories: "Death in Midsummer and other stories". I recommend it.

Reading now "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion", the first of his novels I read. It get way tiresome at some points when there's 4 pages long philosophical dialogues about the sensitive experiences of a psychopath... But the story is great.

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Sheva, Ricky, Messi, Iniesta, Harry Redknapp, Sanosuke Sagara, Chris Redfield.
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

Part of the books I got for source material/inspiration..time to stretch out on the sofa and get immersed...

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Check out 'The Devotion of Suspect X' by Keigo Higashino. Part of a Japanese series by him - and only this one book has been translated into English.

Why is it brilliant? Because it has an outrageous twist. It is not a whodunit, but more like a howdunit. A murder mystery where the murder happens in the first chapter with the readers knowing who killed whom and how - but then the fun starts. A mathematician tries to save the murderer while one of his old classmates - a physicist - tries to solve it. Logically brilliant plot.

I did guess the twist half-way through, but that was simply because I noticed something missing in a scene that one wouldn't have normally noticed - I got lucky. Highly recommended.

Schedule