Paolo Maldini Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
You've already said everything that's going wrong with Maldini's and Boban's tenure. They are already planting articles in the media designed to absolve themselves in case the project goes haywire. They did not sign players who fit the first manager's style. Their decision to hire Giampaolo is officially a flop..

You wait 3 years if your inputs need 3 years to be assessed. Clearly, that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Clearly? How come?

They have upgraded the squad. The GP flop is on GP.

The mercato is extremely dynamic and you cant get everything you want, or even close to it unless you are filthy rich and have no financial constraints put by governing organ to work around. There's absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing Maldini, but there's a way to do it, and not after 4 months in charge. Signing (and sacking?) GP are mistakes, no doubt. But they took a chance and sometimes you have to do that.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Clearly? How come?

They have upgraded the squad. The GP flop is on GP.

The mercato is extremely dynamic and you cant get everything you want, or even close to it unless you are filthy rich and have no financial constraints put by governing organ to work around. There's absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing Maldini, but there's a way to do it, and not after 4 months in charge. Signing (and sacking?) GP are mistakes, no doubt. But they took a chance and sometimes you have to do that.

It's not signing Giampaolo that's the mistake. The mistake is made up of the following steps: 1) Signing Giampaolo 2) Not selling Suso and Kessie when clubs were willing to pay decent money for them (less than what we wanted but still decent), and 3) Not utilizing that money to buy starters fit for the chosen manager's style.

By doing these things, they made the manager's job much more difficult than it should have been. And when he failed in conjuring up a plan B, they have sacked him and moved on to someone who's the definition of mediocrity.

Currently, they are giving interviews to FT talking about how their path is different from Elliott's but the twain shall meet somewhere etc etc. That is just crystal clear hedging talk to save themselves if the project bombs.

In all this, I don't see the passion, integrity or capability that I had expected from Maldini.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
It's not signing Giampaolo that's the mistake. The mistake is made up of the following steps: 1) Signing Giampaolo 2) Not selling Suso and Kessie when clubs were willing to pay decent money for them (less than what we wanted but still decent), and 3) Not utilizing that money to buy starters fit for the chosen manager's style.

By doing these things, they made the manager's job much more difficult than it should have been. And when he failed in conjuring up a plan B, they have sacked him and moved on to someone who's the definition of mediocrity.

Currently, they are giving interviews to FT talking about how their path is different from Elliott's but the twain shall meet somewhere etc etc. That is just crystal clear hedging talk to save themselves if the project bombs.

In all this, I don't see the passion, integrity or capability that I had expected from Maldini.

That's the thing, we don't know about Suso and Kessie, that there actually were teams wanting to buy them and that they accepted the move. And we don't know if GP wanted them to leave, he seems he'll bent on playing both of them. But let's leave the guessing game.

Like I said, no doubt this whole situation is stemming from mistakes, but to judge them as incompetent (not saying you did it)? Or that they need to go? Or that they must be fully assessed now?

Regarding passion I agree, this fan meltdown could have been avoided if both of them were more visible and in touch with the fans. Can you link the ft article? Paste if it's behind a wall :o

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Thanks guys

Great article. Maldini taking about the 3-5 year plan, doubt he's hedging anything. When time comes, he will be held accountable and rightfully so.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/3aX0FZW

If you can't view the other person's link to the article, then I'd put it in the above Imgur gallery when it was released. You should be able to access that.

You're given access the first time you click on that link.
But it will end up behind the paywall if you refresh the page.

No big deal though. All you have to do is delete cookies from ft.com, or try the link with another browser, if you mess up.

belloefamoso

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Maldini alway said that Milan have to a serious project. But he hire idiot coach Giampaolo who alway train série c club and mid table série a club; it’s big mistake

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I remember I brought up this point awhile back and you still supported Maldini back then. But you were pretty high on Sensi and Veretout right? We cheaped out on both of those players, Sensi by close to 10m and Veretout by 3-4m, iirc. Meanwhile we signed Theo when we had 3 LBs, not great ones but also not a position that we must immediately upgrade. Not saying I don’t like Theo or don’t think he’s a talent, but doing that also made selling Laxalt harder as well. Even then, we had a 35m offer for Correa in the end which showed we still had cash to spend just we chose to allocate it per player the way they chose.

In retrospect (actually I thought this at the time but I didnt really want to judge Paolo so early), our midfield needed the massive upgrade and was way more pressing than the LB or any other position, especially after the max exodus after last season, but we somehow found a way to cheap out on position we needed help the most (again it’s not that I don’t like Bennacer or Krunic, but at least in the case of Bennacer it’s rather clear why he didn’t play ahead of Biglia). This isn’t some constraint placed by the management, and part of the blame has to be on Maldini.

Last edited:

campsfield68

Faizan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Too many to name :D
Give it 3-4 years before judging someone and passing someone as failure or a success.
I am not in favour of the Giampaolo’s sacking or his appointment but give the new management some time.
My biggest concern right now is that ownership & management don’t seem to be on the same page going by Boban’s snippet of interview that he gave after Genoa game. I wouldn’t be surprised if our management resigns or are sacked cause I don’t see them looking in the same direction as Elliot.
But then again, it’s a hypothetical

Dude you have to accept the fact that Maldini was not and still isn't ready for such a big role. His and Boban's decisions have been questionable at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I remember I brought up this point awhile back and you still supported Maldini back then. But you were pretty high on Sensi and Veretout right? We cheaped out on both of those players, Sensi by close to 10m and Veretout by 3-4m, iirc. Meanwhile we signed Theo when we had 3 LBs, not great ones but also not a position that we must immediately upgrade. Not saying I don’t like Theo or don’t think he’s a talent, but doing that also made selling Laxalt harder as well. Even then, we had a 35m offer for Correa in the end which showed we still had cash to spend just we chose to allocate it per player the way they chose.

In retrospect (actually I thought this at the time but I didnt really want to judge Paolo so early), our midfield needed the massive upgrade and was way more pressing than the LB or any other position, especially after the max exodus after last season, but we somehow found a way to cheap out on position we needed help the most (again it’s not that I don’t like Bennacer or Krunic, but at least in the case of Bennacer it’s rather clear why he didn’t play ahead of Biglia). This isn’t some constraint placed by the management, and part of the blame has to be on Maldini.

Yes I had a lot of faith in Maldini’s capability and passion for the club. The reason I stress on passion is that it’s completely natural for executives in such roles to act politically. I don’t have a problem with that at all. If Gazidis needs to use the media to save his job, that’s expected. But a figure like Maldini - my expectation from him is that he’d always work with the club as the entity of foremost importance, not himself. If he cannot provide that, then I don’t see the point of hiring an inexperienced guy to head your technical project.

So right now at this moment, I have doubts about both these aspects of Maldini’s personality. (When they didn’t sign Sensi et al due to a few millions, I still gave him the benefit of doubt thinking there’s always an alternative player lined up who’d fit Giampaolo’s style. I was wrong).

I still won’t give up on Maldini until I see how this season ends.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ok I've decided that I can think positively about this situation. What follows is my extremely hopeful, positive scenario. (STATUTORY WARNING: Please read on only if you are not infected by incurable negativity).

Elliott is actually in advanced negotiations with Bernard Arnault or an alternate investor. They expect the deal to be closed upward of 900 million or so by winter. In this scenario, they do not think it prudent to hire a medium expensive coach like Spalletti on a minimum 2-year contract. The prospective owner has also asked for no such long-term hiring to be done while negotiations are ongoing. Therefore, they have asked Maldini to go for the cheapest available decent option who'd be willing to be contracted for the shortest possible duration.

Hence Pioli with a 1+1 year deal. Once the takeover is complete, the new owners would most likely drop Pioli as soon as the season is over, and go for a proper manager like Allegri or Ancelotti to kick-start a new project.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ok I've decided that I can think positively about this situation. What follows is my extremely hopeful, positive scenario. (STATUTORY WARNING: Please read on only if you are not infected by incurable negativity).

Elliott is actually in advanced negotiations with Bernard Arnault or an alternate investor. They expect the deal to be closed upward of 900 million or so by winter. In this scenario, they do not think it prudent to hire a medium expensive coach like Spalletti on a minimum 2-year contract. The prospective owner has also asked for no such long-term hiring to be done while negotiations are ongoing. Therefore, they have asked Maldini to go for the cheapest available decent option who'd be willing to be contracted for the shortest possible duration.

Hence Pioli with a 1+1 year deal. Once the takeover is complete, the new owners would most likely drop Pioli as soon as the season is over, and go for a proper manager like Allegri or Ancelotti to kick-start a new project.

I salute you for positive thinking.
But if takeover talks were in place, especially in advanced stages, the media would surely know something by now.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I salute you for positive thinking.
But if takeover talks were in place, especially in advanced stages, the media would surely know something by now.

Arnault has been brought up for months, twice recently enough. Denied both times but who knows if its plausible.

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score

900M to see their investment qualify for Europa and deciding it's better not to participate

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Also, qualifying for CL would be a huge factor for a potential buyer.
So, even in that sense spending a bit more on a top coach would be worth it.

It's not a great investment when the club is bleeding for cash every year and needs yet another 100M transfer market to make us top 4

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
Also, qualifying for CL would be a huge factor for a potential buyer.
So, even in that sense spending a bit more on a top coach would be worth it.

It's not a great investment when the club is bleeding for cash every year and needs yet another 100M transfer market to make us top 4

With this squad spending another 100M or even 200M won't get us where we want to, esp with all the deadwood that nobody wants

Just looking at the departures this summer and seeing where they ended up being, and to think they were once part of a Milan team :fp:

Too much of a optimistic idea by necromunch that a takeover by a billionaire will happen esp in Jan, eventho that would be dope, imagine LV as our sponsors

b@D~HorsiE

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tendulkar, Maldini, Damon Hill, Gattuso, Leander Paes, Jim Courier, LT.
I don’t understand this need for instant gratification in every decision that is made that social media has inevitably brought into our day to day lives. Maybe, I don’t get it cause I’m too old.
The management took responsibility for their decisions and rightly so, although I only saw the second half of the presser but I heard they didn’t try to sugar coat their failure wrt. Giampaolo. I’m not happy about how Giampaolo’s tenure turned out and I’m genuinely upset & sad for him but let’s give this new management sometime. They lack experience. In an ideal world they would have been groomed into their roles but that’s not what happened.
Calm down a little, folks

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Too much of a optimistic idea by necromunch that a takeover by a billionaire will happen esp in Jan, eventho that would be dope, imagine LV as our sponsors

What I hear is that billionaires everywhere are really keen to buy clubs situated in attractive cities.. Rome, Paris, Venice... why not Milano? I'm sure there are a couple of warmish tracks at least that Elliott might be working on. Winter is probably unlikely, but at least by next summer.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
“Milan are a disaster. They’re all talk and no action,” slammed Ibra.

“This is not the club everyone fell in love with, in Italy and all over the world. Perhaps there are too many wrong people who should be elsewhere.

“Paolo Maldini doesn’t have what it takes to be a director, whereas in his playing career he was one of my all-time favourites.

“In fairness, Maldini does have a difficult task, because it’s not easy to do well with limited resources.”

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

“This is not the club everyone fell in love with, in Italy and all over the world. Perhaps there are too many wrong people who should be elsewhere.

“Paolo Maldini doesn’t have what it takes to be a director, whereas in his playing career he was one of my all-time favourites.

“In fairness, Maldini does have a difficult task, because it’s not easy to do well with limited resources.”

this is different from what you've posted in the commode

same source?

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
this is different from what you've posted in the commode

same source?

Yes same source.
I deliberately posted this piece here due to the explosive nature of the commode.

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka

I think ibra taking shot at gazidis, he is the one that vetoed ibra move last january :fp:

b@D~HorsiE

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tendulkar, Maldini, Damon Hill, Gattuso, Leander Paes, Jim Courier, LT.
Morning boys! It’s been awfully quite in my favourite thread on this forum.
Let’s see what our boy does in the winter transfer window!

Schedule