ORez

The Red & Black Army
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta
David said:
My problems with 300:
Spoiler:
2. You ferociously fight against a huge army of Persians and at the end you decide to give up?! WTF?!
Spoiler:
The legend of Thermopylae as told by Herodotus has it that Sparta consulted the Oracle at Delphi before setting out to meet the Persian army. The Oracle is said to have made the following prophecy in hexameter verse:

O ye men who dwell in the streets of broad Lacedaemon!
Either your glorious town shall be sacked by the children of Perseus,
Or, in exchange, must all through the whole Laconian country
Mourn for the loss of a king, descendant of great Heracles.
He cannot be withstood by the courage of bulls nor of lions,
Strive as they may; he is mighty as Jove; there is naught that shall stay him,
Till he have got for his prey your king, or your glorious city.

In essence, the Oracle's warning was that either Sparta would be conquered and left in ruins or one of her two hereditary kings, descendant of Hercules, must sacrifice his life to defend her.

(Wikipedia)
---
And that is exaclty what happened. Leonidas died saving Sparta, and greater Greece, which was ultimately defended successfully. He had to die so that the prophecy of the Oracle could come true and Sparta be saved. The kneeling and attempt on life part might be just fiction, but he did die in the end.

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
zZ[-_-]Zz said:
i just watched 300 over the weekend... to shortly sum it up... utterly stupid & totally predictable...

Criticizing the movie..well glad im not the only one that thought it was crap.

Rex

Reaction score
I haven't seen yet this year's new release movies. So I'd rather watch A Beautiful Mind couple weeks ago. What a miss by mile I am. :)

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
gaizka22 said:
Is this the Brazilian movie? If yes, this chillingly great. It's an 'in your face' movie. Makes u really appreciate your childhood. :) For some other great Brazilian movie, try "Central Station" or "Carandiru".

yeah
I looked for those movies at the video store... Central Station was taken, and when I saw that Carandiru was about a prison, I decided to take it another day cause I wasn't in the mood of seeing a prison movie haha
so I took Abril Despedaçado (Behind The Sun), very good movie... it's set in the 1910's in the Brazilian Northeast... it's about this two families that were quarreling over some land and they killed each other; well, someone was killed and a member of the family would go and take vengeance by killing a member of the other family and so on...
lovely photography and setting...

PRIYO

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Sheva, Sergio Claudio, Ibra.
Rex said:
I haven't seen yet this year's new release movies. So I'd rather watch A Beautiful Mind couple weeks ago. What a miss by mile I am. :)
i just got beautiful mind dvd this evening..so, i'll tell you guys later..:tongue:

ORez

The Red & Black Army
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Defending 300 against criticisim.

Well, 300 might have been all that, but I for one didn't watch it for the gore, blood, action, CG...

But for the characterization of historic figures. Xerxes was awesomely done. All the folklores about indulgent, warlike, polytheistic civilizations of the past were quite accurately depicted. Some of it was fictionalization, after all it wasn't a documentary.

I was also able to handle the CG that was used excessively coz I have been playing computer games since ages, and trust me only now have they been able to nearly replicate human hair movement. This was certainly eye candy for any gamer.

Other movies that I liked were The Last King of Scotland, Blood Diamond, and WTC.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
I saw Grindhouse last night and it was in my opinion the best movie EVER!! Even better than 300! But heed my advice; there are two movies: Planet Terror and Deathproof. Planet Terror is way better, although Deathproof has the sickest car crash ever. My advice is to leave after the 1st car crash in Deathproof. The rest of the movie is mostly dialogue. And I know they had these directors like Rob Zombie and Eli Roth make fake trailers. But I so want to see Machete!

"They Fucked with the wrong Mexican!":tongue:

Last edited:

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
Watched Office Space again earlier... man I love that movie. It has everything I hate about working.

"I believe you have my stapler!" LOLOLOL!!

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Watched an interesting movie titled Bobby. It tells the story about people coming, going and working at the Hotel Ambassador on the day Robert Kennedy was shot. Totally an all star casts : Harry Belafonte, Anthony Hopkins, William H. Macy, Sharon Stone, Heather Graham, Elijah Wood, Lindsay Lohan, Laurence Fishburne, Christian Slater, Emilio Estevez, Demi Moore, Helen Hunt, Martin Sheen, Ashton Kutcher.

Their stories might not directly related to the killing but their lives are somehow tangled up in the tragedy. With a playing time of only little more than 90 minutes, it’s nice to see those stars gave out good performance in their allocated scenes. Good historical piece with lots of footage during the presidential campaign.

Another movie I watched over the weekend was ‘The Good Shepherd’. Another all star cast with Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, John Torturro, Billy Cruddup and Robert de Niro (also the director). Tells the story about the formative early years of the CIA. With nearly 2.5 hours of playing time, the movie can really tax your patience with its slow paced tempo and seemingly invisible conflict that will only be revealed in the end. A different kind of spy movie that shows spies are never alone but always lonely since he could never trust anyone.

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
Another movie I watched over the weekend was ‘The Good Shepherd’. Another all star cast with Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, John Torturro, Billy Cruddup and Robert de Niro (also the director). Tells the story about the formative early years of the CIA. With nearly 2.5 hours of playing time, the movie can really tax your patience with its slow paced tempo and seemingly invisible conflict that will only be revealed in the end. A different kind of spy movie that shows spies are never alone but always lonely since he could never trust anyone.

Was it good? Worth the money?

ORez

The Red & Black Army
Reaction score
Fav. Players
In Van Wilder 2 - The Rise of Taj, his surname, Badalandabad was like having someone say 'f**k' without a censor all throughout the movie. Dejectable at certain instances, laughable at others. LOL! AHAHAH! BADALANDABAD! LOL!

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
ORez said:
In Van Wilder 2 - The Rise of Taj, his surname, Badalandabad was like having someone say 'f**k' without a censor all throughout the movie. Dejectable at certain instances, laughable at others. LOL! AHAHAH! BADALANDABAD! LOL!
I watched that movie 3 times ... LOL.

Btw, who is this Schwiney??

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
menon_inc said:
Was it good? Worth the money?
It was great, though - like I said - it's a different kind of spy movie. Don't expect car chase, gun fight or other things you usually see in 'mainstream' spy movie. This one is very slow and you have to read between the lines and connect past event/information to understand it.

Recommended.

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
r3dman said:
What do you mean?
Spoiler:
Who gave up? I saw the movie and at the end, when Leonidas falls to his knees it's just a diversion, to surprise Xerxes and to make an attempt at his life.
Spoiler:

Yes, I got that, but right after he missed Xerxes the Spartans simply GAVE UP. :eek::conf:

As if they had to end the movie because it was getting too long.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
MilanoMike said:
I saw Grindhouse last night and it was in my opinion the best movie EVER!! Even better than 300! But heed my advice; there are two movies: Planet Terror and Deathproof. Planet Terror is way better, although Deathproof has the sickest car crash ever. My advice is to leave after the 1st car crash in Deathproof. The rest of the movie is mostly dialogue. And I know they had these directors like Rob Zombie and Eli Roth make fake trailers. But I so want to see Machete!

"They fucked with the wrong Mexican!" Ahaha!:tongue:
Did anyone else see this great flick?

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
I downloaded 300 two weeks ago on my PC, but just when I was about to enjoy the great movie the sound was fucked ... so I decided to watch it in the cinema yesterday with my friend and it was
Spoiler:
Fucking good! The plot itself is well written along with the computer graphics and sound effects; It shows you the real meaning of war you fight till there is someone there that is capable of killing you, and giving you the honor of dying while defending your land. I liked their tactics and their beliefs, look at how many 300 just killed ... they fight as a team, If one died their tactics would get destroyed. I just didn't like the bit of 'stupidity' they added like those creatures that they had to pay them money and ask them for permission before they go to war, and like the other non existent animals they had; but a heroic story that leaves a great impact on you; well done.
and David:
Spoiler:
Yes, I agree with you ... after Leonidas fails at his attempt to kill Xerxes, the Spartans simply give up which is another 'stupid' part they had

PRIYO

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
i just watched -the old- a beautiful mind..i wasn't expecting russel crowe ended up like that, but overall, it's a great movie i think..

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
David said:
Yeah, that's true. Have you seen the last episode of South Park where 30 lesbians have to protect their bar "Les Bos":D from some persians who want to transorm it? OMG...it's fkin' great.

Rex

Reaction score
PRIYO said:
i just watched -the old- a beautiful mind..i wasn't expecting russel crowe ended up like that, but overall, it's a great movie i think..

Jennifer Connelly actually stolen the show. But Crowe played brilliantly as stunning as the mathematician John Nash. :)

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
David said:
Spoiler:

Yes, I got that, but right after he missed Xerxes the Spartans simply GAVE UP. :eek::conf:

Spoiler:
Not quite. They're only advantage - sourrounding cliffs - was lost because of the traitor. They didn't have only one wing to cover anymore so they lost their defense, not gave up. And Leonidas shot wasn't a miss. He figuratevely took away persian army's morale by making Xerces bleed. Leonidas:"The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, that even a God-King can bleed. "

I have few other films to discuss not into it ATM.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Have been watching some of the new movies lately. Biggest disappointment has to be Mr. Bean's Holiday ... just expected a lot more from Rowan.

I enjoyed 300, Hannibal Rising, The Departed ... The Return (with Sarah Michelle Gellar ;) ) is predictably a 'Stir of Echoes' (Kevin Bacon + came out before 6th Sense, if I'm not mistaken) type of movie. Deniro's 'The Good Shepard' I found very interesting only after watching it the second time (I rested my eyes midway through the first watch).

I've got quite a few already downloaded :-)D ) + ready to watch Miss Potter ( :rolleyes: ), Return in Red and have just started downloading The Grudge 2. The first one scared the shit out of me especially since I watched it when I was alone at 3 AM ... enjoyed it :D

Rex

Reaction score
Having little disappointment for 300. Not living up my expectation though.

I just bought De Javu but I haven't seen it yet. I wish the film is OK.

@madtherchot.

I'd rather love Sarah Michelle Gellar rolling in I Know What You Did Last Summer. :)

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
^^ She's been doing horror movies lately (The Grudge, The Return, The Grudge 2) so you might get your wish afterall :)

PRIYO

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
first rocky, then rambo, what next?

anyone has seen rocky balboa btw?:D i bought the movie last week, but haven't watched it

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
PRIYO said:
first rocky, then rambo, what next?

anyone has seen rocky balboa btw?:D i bought the movie last week, but haven't watched it
Enter Rocky to "Search this thread";)

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Red&Black--Lion said:
I can't wait to see the new Rambo movie :D
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462499/
Ahahaha! Read the "plot" ::rolleyes:

The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates, during a humanitarian aid deliver to the persecuted Karen people of Burma. After some of the missionaries are taken prisoner by sadistic Burmese soldiers, Rambo gets a second impossible job: to assemble a team of mercenaries to rescue the surviving relief workers