Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't concentrate enough during round 3, but I gave round 1/4 to condit and 2/5 to lawler

condit threw/attempted a lot shots but IMO lawler hurt him more, he's a beast for holding on in the 5th round.

2 great fighters :star:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I didn't concentrate enough during round 3, but I gave round 1/4 to condit and 2/5 to lawler

condit threw/attempted a lot shots but IMO lawler hurt him more, he's a beast for holding on in the 5th round.

2 great fighters :star:

Robbie scored the knock down in rd2, but other then that Condit landed more in that fight as well. Robbie himself after the fight said Condit hits hard.

Here's the fight metric:

http://www.fightmetric.com/

In every fucking round Condit scored more significant strikes + a shit load more of "points" strikes.

This was a robbery.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I scored it 3-2 for Condit and was a little surprised over the decision.

But I wouldn't call it a robbery, Lawler pounded on him pretty well.

Looking forward to the rematch that probably will happen.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Round 2, 3, 5 are Lawler, Condit 1, 4.

2 out of 3 judges saw the fight the same way. Only round that is in contention is Round 3. It really isn't that bad of a decision as some make it out to be. It was a close fight but Robbie definitely attempted to finish more whereas Condit tried to out point with sheer volume.

I look at it as standing lay and pray. Moving around and throwing a lot with out attempting to advance the position or finish the fight.

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Round 1, 3, 5 are Lawler, Condit 2, 4.

2 out of 3 judges saw the fight the same way. Only round that is in contention is Round 3. It really isn't that bad of a decision as some make it out to be. It was a close fight but Robbie definitely attempted to finish more whereas Condit tried to out point with sheer volume.

I look at it as standing lay and pray. Moving around and throwing a lot with out attempting to advance the position or finish the fight.

That's bull shit. He had at least the same number of hard shots consisting in: knees to the face, chest, elbows, punches to the jaw and so on, kicks that dropped him etc.

And fyi significant strikes is not a judges criteria. Also he did not attempt to finish more except in half of round 5.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Lol it was not a "standing lay and pray" from Condit. He tried to finish. It was probably why he lost the fifth round, he was done but kept going forward.

I agree that the third round could have went either way, but looking at the whole fight Condit had a little advantage.

It was no robbery though. Lawler is a beast and you have to take the belt from the champ, not expect to win a close decision.

What a fight it was though :proud:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lol it was not a "standing lay and pray" from Condit. He tried to finish. It was probably why he lost the fifth round, he was done but kept going forward.

I agree that the third round could have went either way, but looking at the whole fight Condit had a little advantage.

It was no robbery though. Lawler is a beast and you have to take the belt from the champ, not expect to win a close decision.

What a fight it was though :proud:

How close was he to try to finish? Throwing a lot of the "spinning shit" quoting Diaz didn't do anything to Lawler except inhibit Lawler from hitting him. Condit's closest attempt IMO was R4 where he landed a series of clean hits but even in that round he did not come as close to finishing Lawler.

Rewatched the fight with the sound off so you don't have to be reminded by Goldie about volume of strike Condit is outputting. Condit had the most success moving laterally and hitting Lawler from angles. "Standing Lay and Pray" maybe is not the most appropriate analogy, but one of the biggest weapons Condit had was not that he was hurting Lawler or that he was close to finish him, rather it didn't allow Lawler to open up because he would be in danger of getting hit from more different angles allowing Condit to score more in the round and at the same time preventing Lawler from landing effective strikes. This was very apparent in Round 1 and 4, which I both gave to Condit. However, the moment Condit began coming forward instead of sideways, Lawler was able to open up and land bombs in the pocket. Shots that WERE clean shots, directly with the intention of ending the fight. That is what I meant by "standing lay and pray" rather than suggesting that Condit was inactive on his feet. I hope that cleared up my point.

I am not saying its outrageous you think Condit won, I am just saying its really stupid that people are calling this a "robbery" when it was in reality a lot closer fight than the statistics suggested.

One thing is for sure, this fight deserves immediate rematch.

Edit: another analysis of the fight

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/robbie-lawler-versus-carlos-condit-the-minefield-of-judging-a-fight

Last edited:

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Name your favorite UFC fighters of all time.

Mine, in no order:

Edgar, Machida, McGregor, Velasquez, JDS, Gustaffson

EDGAR, Sakuraba, Velasquez, Pettis, GSP, Matt Hughes, Machida

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yoel Romero...who could say they didn't see that one coming.

Painfully obvious with him and Lombard.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
frnXxyM.gif

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
more like #andstill

never lost it in the first place :o

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome all around.

Really surprised (and happy) Alvarez pulled it off.

I'm not going to hate on him for doing what needed to be done, but that fight was :sleep:

travis browne..2 eye pokes and then punches him in the fucked up eye, dirty fighter. hopefully the UFC take care of matt because the situation with travis and the ref were a disgrace.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not going to hate on him for doing what needed to be done, but that fight was :sleep:

travis browne..2 eye pokes and then punches him in the fucked up eye, dirty fighter. hopefully the UFC take care of matt because the situation with travis and the ref were a disgrace.

They really need to have a rule in place for the open hand into opponent's eye.

I could see that it's hard to enforce but some of these eye gouges are ridiculous.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
14NotWorthy.gif
Dominic Cruz
14NotWorthy.gif

Incredible. I am so fucking impressed. After what he's been through...

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Indeed. Except pettis vs alvarez.

pettis doesn't have that killer instinct. alvarez can go fuck himself asking for a title fight.

I never rated Alvarez, but I've always felt Pettis is a tad bit overrated. I liked the result more so than the fight itself.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
As a newb to the sport, how's it best to follow the ufc? Recorded UFC 172 which was on TV and really enjoyed it, should you just follow the pay per view events? I see it's on 197 now.

I have fox sports one & they show quite a bit, but no idea if what they show is worth watching.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Fox cards are usually good.

I download my ufc events from torrent sites. And I still manage to complain when the cards are not good.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
mma-core has the fights almost right after the event is over.

Also I follow sites like Sherdog and just read PbP, if it's worth watching I will watch it, if not I just skip.

I know what you are saying though MB. I remember torrenting the Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia rematch at UFC 59 and being mad that it sucked.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
mma-core has the fights almost right after the event is over.

Also I follow sites like Sherdog and just read PbP, if it's worth watching I will watch it, if not I just skip.

I know what you are saying though MB. I remember torrenting the Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia rematch at UFC 59 and being mad that it sucked.

spoilers?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players

You guys should watch the full one as well, Conor trolled RDA non stop :lol::lol::lol:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Cain out, good decision by Werdum to not take the fight on short notice.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
What happened to cain?

A champ should never turn down a fight :o