The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 25-02-2005, 12:50   #21
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi

Fav. Players: Der Franco

Rui played fairly well vs. Man U. He showed that even though it seems that it was forever ago that he played 90 minutes, he was still more than capable of doing it in a big-time match. Rui still looks as composed as ever, but his outside shooting has taken a turn for the worse. This man use to regularly score goals like the one we saw in the Quarters of Euro 2004 vs. England. This can't be expected any longer. However, his possession style of play makes him a good selection even at this age. Obviously he won't be here too much longer, but he is with us for the rest of this campaign, so I am sure he will be gunning to go out in class, which is very fitting for him.

Signature

The World will always be Red & Black....But Europe is Red & Gold.

Triunfa España! Los yunques y las ruedas cantan al compás del himno de la fe.
DonippoKakaShevdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 21:50   #22
GeronimoFinch
National Team Player

Fav. Players: Savicevic, van Basten, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Gattuso

Van der Vaart has failed to deliver the same sort of consistency he had shown for the last couple of years. Maybe playing for Milan would improve that.
GeronimoFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 22:30   #23
lilis
Rookie

I don't think the rumor is true... there was this rumor since the last season and it wasn't true. I think if Milan lets Rui go it's a big mistake. Maybe he doesn't have goal or is not as speed as Kaka but he has a lot of class and experience to give to the team. If Rui goes then Kaka won't have anyone to learn from; Kaka is a great player but he doesn't have enough experience yet.
lilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 23:48   #24
superman_1899

precisely!!!
Old 28-02-2005, 00:31   #25
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

But Rui doesn't have a lot to offer anymore. That's just how it is

I wouldn't want VdV either who has been stagnating + underperforming for a loooong time now. He might have been all hype + would be too much of a gamble, esp. as he wouldn't come for cheap.

Signature

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ perfection ▪ ▪
Passion for *9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 23:32   #26
Pranjic
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio

I have to agree about VdV he doesn't looke like the type of player that would enjoy life in the Serie A too much and he isn't even the best player in the Dutch league this season.Ever since his arrival to the big scene in European with Ajax there was a lot of talk about him and he's been linked with so many big clubs but none of them ever made an offer and Ajax aren't a club that holds on to their talented players for too long and yet he's the only one that has stuck around(Ibrahimovic,Van der Meyde,Passanen have all left).He is prone to injury,he has had a lot of problems with knee injuries I see him going to a club like Tottenham maybe Aston Villa or a Spanish side like Villareal.He will never be a player of Rui's class even though Rui is not the same man he was when he signed for us.
Pranjic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:09   #27
GeronimoFinch
National Team Player

Against Inter Rui performed a couple of neat dribbles past opposing players, but apart from that not much else. It's not enough. P.S. Veron deserved to get sent of in the derby game - he clattered into Serginho a couple of times.
Old 02-03-2005, 16:08   #28
NeSTa_86
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: |*NeSTa*| |*Rui CoSTa*| |*Gilardino*|

i like this player really really very much

Signature
Bulgarian fan site of AC Milan
http://acmilan-bg.com http://acmilan-bg.com
Here you will find a lot of pictures, news, videos and so on.
FORZA MILAN
NeSTa_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 16:13   #29
GeronimoFinch
National Team Player

...as a person, no longer as a player.
Old 02-03-2005, 16:21   #30
NeSTa_86
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: |*NeSTa*| |*Rui CoSTa*| |*Gilardino*|

i think that he is better than kaka

Signature
Bulgarian fan site of AC Milan
http://acmilan-bg.com http://acmilan-bg.com
Here you will find a lot of pictures, news, videos and so on.
FORZA MILAN
NeSTa_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 17:35   #31
NICKY
Rookie

I think he could be as good as he used to be if he got more games to play. A player who is on the bench most of the time loses confidence, match ritme, ...
If Kaka wasn't there, he still would have his place and play well, I'm sure.
NICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 20:57   #32
GeronimoFinch
National Team Player

Long before Kaka came on the scene Rui just wasn't doing the things an attacking midfielder needs to do, i.e. score goals.
Old 02-03-2005, 23:10   #33
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi

The last time Rui Costa truly dominated club football during the course of a season was his last in Firenze. At Milan we have seen glimpses and 2-3 game streaks of class action from him, but nothing over a sustained period of time. That is truly unfortunate. I say just enjoy him while he is still here, because his end is near.

Signature

Old 09-03-2005, 08:56   #34
ARNOLD RIMMER
Second Technician

Fav. Players: Pippo, DeSciglio

Unfortunately another poor performance from Rui last night against Man U, it just seems to me that he does not try very hard to play well, its as if he knows he is on his way out of the club, its a shame really for a player with as much talent as him.

Signature

ARNOLD RIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:02   #35
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi

Well, to be fair, and sadly enough, he is actually trying (That I do know about Rui Costa). Its just eh reaches down for that explosiveness he used to possess and it is no longer there. His strongest assest ever was his beautiful field of vision and even that seems to be deteriorating at this juncture. Like I said previously, every now and again, you will see some really deft action out of him and it is quite a joy to see him leading odd-man attack up the pitch and then meticulously distribute the ball. The days are not completely lost, but they are endangered.

Signature

Old 09-03-2005, 18:39   #36
NICKY
Rookie

I don't think he was that bad in the two games against Man U. I didn't saw the entire games (summaries of 20-25 minutes) but certainly on OT he was not worse than the other midfielders, on the contrary. I'm getting a little tired of all that criticism against him. Why aren't the other members (with "favorite player Rui Costa" behind their name) reacting ? Am I the only one who's willing to defend him ?
If Kaka doesn't play well (which often happens this season), it's always "he's still young, he needs a rest, he still has to grow", blablabla, for Rui "he's finished".
Btw his ratings in Italian newspapers for last night game were 6 - 6,5 - the same as the other midfielders. On acmilan.com they even say 'outstanding performance", I admit that's not true, he was not extraordinary, he just did his job.
It's not fair to count someone only for the goals he scores (or doesn't).
NICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 19:35   #37
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

First off, I certainly never make excuses for anyone.

Second, Rui has been our most expensive signing by far + was supposed to pull all the strings in midfield, so of course people tend to scrutinize his performance more than ..say.. Brocchi's.

I don't know about Rui's performance last night apart from the match summary + I didn't watch the replay this afternoon so can't + won't judge on this particular match.

Apparently, after we had wasted the scudetto in 2002/03, he was identified as a bit of a liability (he truly was with his 10 or so assists + zero goals), therefore Kaka's transfer was sped up + since the Brazilian made an immediate impact + delivered exactly what Rui had failed to produce, goals + a speedier build-up, Rui consequently had to acquaint himself with the bench.

This season he has been called up a few times, also to support off-form Kaka', but he rarely impressed IMO. Velocity is not exactly our midfield's most striking feature + all he does is add another dimension of slowness to it. It's a fact, unfortunately. OK, credit for being able to keep the ball when we play that lame type of uninspired possession-oriented football, but that's not his role, his role is to create + inspire + support our strikers !

Taking into account his age + what appears to be a continuous decline of form you don't need to be Einstein to figure his career is nearing its end, at least at Milan.

Signature

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ perfection ▪ ▪

Last edited by Passion for *9*; 09-03-2005 at 20:09.
Passion for *9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 15:03   #38
milan_rockz
=7uckyst4r=

Fav. Players: *kaka* nesta* maldini* pirlo*
Default Official: Manuel Rui Costa Thread

Official: Manuel Rui Costa Thread
- Seamus -

isn't it 29th of march is rui costa's b dae??? anyway juz wanna say happy b'dae to him. wiz him aLL da bez...

Last edited by Seamus; 19-07-2005 at 04:39.
milan_rockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 15:28   #39
17-und-4
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Sheva - Gila - Kaka - Rui Costa

Yeah it is.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANUEL RUI COSTA!!!
17-und-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 15:31   #40
mad4milan
World Cup Winner

I reckon that he'll remember this birthday for a while. A forced emergency landing at Malpensa airport is one hell of a bday gift...

Signature
::: That Which Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stronger :::
mad4milan is offline   Reply With Quote