Underappreciated Players

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
and massive respect for whoever knows this dude, without google images.

giannichedda.jpg

Always thought he was kinda underrated.

It's Gianicheda, CMIIW. Played his best football in Udinese before move to Juve and Lazio IIRC.

Fiero

Reaction score
Physically in say 2005/2006ish he was a beast

Tall, strong, powerful, fast

All the perfect striker attibutes

All that is correct but he had poor headers, couldn't do shit with his right foot, and wasn't good with link up. So he had many negatives, and the moment he gained wait and lost a yard of pace (around 2006), he became useless.

That's just speaking physically. Because mentally he's one of the weakest around.

It's Gianicheda, CMIIW. Played his best football in Udinese before move to Juve and Lazio IIRC.

Respect bro. :) I only watched him with Juve so could only comment on that, he always used to come on in the 2nd half under Capello, either him or Blasi to defend the lead. Thought he was quite good. Has a bombshell of a wife as well.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Giannichedda, Fabio Liverani and Stefano Fiore were quite the promisses when Lazio signed them (spending a lot of money) in 2001...

Fiero

Reaction score
Fabio Liverani

Never liked him.

Stefano Fiore

Was great with Lazio. I remember he was just about the only good player in Lazio along with Stam when they had the financial collapse. Was also a part of Italy's EURO 2000 squad.

Very likeable. Good player. Though I hated the Italian Valencia of Ranieri, Fiore, Di Vaio, and Corradi. They flopped badly as well.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Fiore was awesome.

Reminded me a lot of Totti in his style, even though he played further down the pitch. Right?

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was great with Lazio. I remember he was just about the only good player in Lazio along with Stam when they had the financial collapse. Was also a part of Italy's EURO 2000 squad.

I can be wrong, but I think Lazio signed Fiore after they failed to bring Rui Costa on the last moment :-)g:). They also signed Gaizka Mendieta that summer for some obscene transfer fee, both had to make for loss of Verón and Nedved.

Fiore was awesome.

Reminded me a lot of Totti in his style, even though he played further down the pitch. Right?

He played mostly as a CAM I think. Could be a winger also...

Last edited:

Fiero

Reaction score
Fiore was awesome.

I mostly liked his beard and the fact that he wore number 14. He scored some fine goals as well.

I can be wrong, but I think Lazio signed Fiore after they failed to bring Rui Costa on the last moment :-)g:). They also signed Gaizka Mendieta that summer for some obscene transfer fee, both had to make for loss of Verón and Nedved.

Yeah Mendieta. Man he was a great player back in the day with Valencia. His transfer to Lazio was a record fee at the time. He flopped badly I don't know why. But he was so elegant with the ball.

He played mostly as a CAM I think. Could be a winger also...

Yeah he was an attacking midfielder but also played on the right at times. Zoff fancied him with Italy and at that time he played for Fiorentina.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
From that World Cup I also remember Brolin and Dahlin from Sweden. Good players and forgotten. Would be interesting to know what their status in Sweden currently is.

They're remembered as world cup heroes. Dahlin is an agent I think and started a clothing line, Brolin is a business man, deals with real estate and owned a couple of restaurants.

Such a shame Brolin was plagued by so many injuries, stopped playing at the age of 28.

I think I kinda overrate 94' WC, but I was a kid and the memories of this World Cup are very strong for me. So many classic players and games...

Best WC ever.

But I also remember that wc because of that player, can't remember his name, who got shot in the head for making that own goal. He was Colombian I think.

Fiero

Reaction score
People with number fixation. :fp:

There's no point to it.

It just happened that it was the shirt number of my favorite player, human being and my role model as a kid. :D So it instantly became my favorite number. Nothing lucky with it or anything, but people like the shirt numbers of their idols.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Best WC ever.

But I also remember that wc because of that player, can't remember his name, who got shot in the head for making that own goal. He was Colombian I think.

Andres Escobar.

There's a very good documentary about it btw, "The two Escobars" (could be in the documentary thread btw, but can be here also) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1522863/

It's also on ESPN 30 for 30 series.

Colombia in 94 was such a classical team btw. They finished qualifications in first place, destroyed Argentina by 0-5 in Buenos Aires. They had very good players like Valderrama, Asprilla, Rincón, Valencia, Aristizábal, Córdoba and a very offensive team.

A lot of people did consider them favourites to win the WC at the time (seens ridiculous today, but that team fooled a lot of people at the time).

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
@Fiero, dinho never had 14.

I like Asprilla a lot in his time in Parma. Man Serie A has had some awesome awesome players over years. BPL and LL doesn't stand a motherfucking chance. (not talking about asprilla only, he also played in PL :D)

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Love valderama. What a g. That 30 for 30 is amazing by the way. Highly recomend you all watch or dl it. So interesting and sad how much influence pablo escobar had :eek:

Speaking of which. I went to the game where leo elbowed tab ramos, lol. One of my few memories being 9 years old was how brazilians took over bay area playing drums and dancing everywhere. So stereotypical

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Eric wynalda

Greatest american player. Not landon 'im content with how I am despite fact I have so much more potential' donavan
God I loathed Wynalda, Lalas, Cobi Jones, only liked Roy Lassiter (played for my team :proud: ).

From that World Cup I also remember Brolin and Dahlin from Sweden. Good players and forgotten. Would be interesting to know what their status in Sweden currently is.
We beat them 4 years before in a disgustingly dirty match by them :o

I think I kinda overrate 94' WC, but I was a kid and the memories of this World Cup are very strong for me. So many classic players and games...

I was almost 7 for WC 94, I just remember how HUGE Italy and Brazil sounded to me, even Germany. I remember thinking how enourmous names like Baggio, Maldini, Bebeto, Romario, Baresi, Stoichkov, Hagi, Batistuta, Luis Enrique, Guardiola, Klinsmann, Matthaus, Maradona (obvs), Bergkamp, Dunga sounded to me. And I remember so many things, Escobar's death, Maradona's celebration and then his suspension (that was huge), Valderrama (who always reminds me of Illya Kuryaki and the Valderramas) Bebeto's celebration vs Holland, Greece's NT (specially one with big hair), Nigeria's NT, Italy vs Spain :-)D), Leonardo breaking Tab Ramos' nose, Brazil vs Holland... and that final. I remember that final clearly cause a) first gloryhunter act in my life I was cheering Italy, but just before Baggio's pk I said nah "I go with Brazil" :D, b) pre game we went to a restaurant, and it was empty, and I remember it got full just before the game started, like no one was able to breathe full, c) Baggio + Baresi, which is my first regret from being a gloryhunter :(.

Also 1994 Upper Deck cards (I'll post my Maldini one...and see if my brother still has Germany's), and an unofficial album my dad's newspapper launched which was big in CR, I remember having a feud with my brother and starting my own album, and a week later me + my brother made peace and joined my album with his, that bastard lol. Weirdest thing is I associate that WC with some really cool childhood weekends, with summer (june-july CR's summer...pretty underrated) and trips with my family to lots of places, and churros I remember having churros the day of the 3rd place game.

Edit: Oh and my sister's crushes on players, Pagliuca (she didn't go to school to watch Italy I mean Pagliuca :lol: ), Julen Guerrero, Batistuta, Maldini, Signori (she loved Signori lol), Costacurta...oh Pagliuca is still my favorite of her crushes, she was mad for him.

That said, I have bigger details for 98' WC, that's when I became a football junkie. 94' is more about childhood related stuff, watching games, not understanding much of what went on...98' was about watching wayyy too many games, getting upset over teams, embracing and loving the game.

Anyway on topic:
Dellas
Charisteas
Nuno Gomes
El Diablo Etcheverry

Edit: Columbia= IVY league college, Colombia = country, Colombian's citizens = colombians, not columbians. Had to do it for the paisas (they make great enchiladas).

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was almost 7 for WC 94, I just remember how HUGE Italy and Brazil sounded to me, even Germany. I remember thinking how enourmous names like Baggio, Maldini, Bebeto, Romario, Baresi, Stoichkov, Hagi, Batistuta, Luis Enrique, Guardiola, Klinsmann, Matthaus, Maradona (obvs), Bergkamp, Dunga sounded to me. And I remember so many things, Escobar's death, Maradona's celebration and then his suspension (that was huge), Valderrama (who always reminds me of Illya Kuryaki and the Valderramas) Bebeto's celebration vs Holland, Greece's NT (specially one with big hair), Nigeria's NT, Italy vs Spain :-)D), Leonardo breaking Tab Ramos' nose, Brazil vs Holland... and that final. I remember that final clearly cause a) first gloryhunter act in my life I was cheering Italy, but just before Baggio's pk I said nah "I go with Brazil" :D, b) pre game we went to a restaurant, and it was empty, and I remember it got full just before the game started, like no one was able to breathe full, c) Baggio + Baresi, which is my first regret from being a gloryhunter :(.

Also 1994 Upper Deck cards (I'll post my Maldini one...and see if my brother still has Germany's), and an unofficial album my dad's newspapper launched which was big in CR, I remember having a feud with my brother and starting my own album, and a week later me + my brother made peace and joined my album with his, that bastard lol. Weirdest thing is I associate that WC with some really cool childhood weekends, with summer (june-july CR's summer...pretty underrated) and trips with my family to lots of places, and churros I remember having churros the day of the 3rd place game.

That said, I have bigger details for 98' WC, that's when I became a football junkie. 94' is more about childhood related stuff, watching games, not understanding much of what went on...98' was about watching wayyy too many games, getting upset over teams, embracing and loving the game.

Yeah, for me also those players all sounded very big. In my mind of kid they were kinda like superheroes in 94, and every Team had one. Brazil - Romário, Italy - Baggio, Argentina - Maradona, Cameron Milla, Belgium - Preud'homme, Romania - Hagi (he made a great impression on me that WC), Germany - Matthaus, Bulgaria - Hristo and one and on... Tbf it was also not far from the truth in that WC... Such good players.

I remember to celebrate Bebeto goal against USA. But in the final I supported Italy. I watched that game with my grandpa (with whom I used to watch Calcio every sunday morning, had already some simpathy for Milan) in the bedroom, while all the rest of the family was in the living cheering for Brazil. I got very angry when they made jokes at us after Baggio penalty kick. My indifference towards Seleção problably comes from that very day.

Edit:
This:

And Oleg Salenko, who for years I tought was really a great player just cause he scored 5 goals in a game that WC...

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
And Oleg Salenko, who for years I tought was really a great player just cause he scored 5 goals in a game that WC...

Lol, didn't we all?

That brings me back to a major childhood fear I had:
tomas-skuhravy.jpg

Fucking Skuhravy, scared me so much (and I believe any costarican alive back in 1990). Seriously when my parents told me that if I didn't behave some sort of monster was going to get me...I thought of Skuhravy.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, didn't we all?

That brings me back to a major childhood fear I had:
tomas-skuhravy.jpg

Fucking Skuhravy, scared me so much (and I believe any costarican alive back in 1990). Seriously when my parents told me that if I didn't behave some sort of monster was going to get me...I thought of Skuhravy.

:lol:

Scary players...
WC 94...
HIM:
Trifon_Ivanov_743603a.jpg

rosso_nero

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

Yeh, I remember this game. If I'm not mistaken it was against Cameroon
What a shame he tried to sell his golden foot a few years ago.

derpu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Demetrio Albertini, Prinz Eugen
Anyone remember Ilhan Mansiz (spelling (?)). The guy who scored two goals in the WC 2002 3rd Place Turkey - South Korea

_38091996_mansiz_ap300.jpg

Last time I heard he became an ice skater :D

edit: found the pic

1848ebb08c8268bc854af15cc0e47e88.jpg

Last edited:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Anyone remember Ilhan Mansiz (spelling (?)). The guy who scored two goals in the WC 2002 3rd Place Turkey - South Korea

_38091996_mansiz_ap300.jpg

Last time I heard he became an ice skater :D

edit: found the pic

1848ebb08c8268bc854af15cc0e47e88.jpg

Figure skating

He learned to skate at the relatively late age of 33 when he competed on the Turkish show Buzda Dans. He competed as a pair skater with partner Oľga Beständigová, who is also his girlfriend. After winning the show, he announced his goal to represent Turkey at the 2014 Winter Olympics.[8] If he qualifies, Mansız will be the only athlete to compete in both the football World Cup and the Winter Olympics

That would be interesting

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Alessandro Melli, Lorenzo Minotti, Luigi Apolloni (still remember clearly got stupid red carded in WC '94 qualification group) all played for mighty Parma in late 80's-early '90s

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
LOL, speaking of WC94 I remember thats when I began to follow football and I have very specific memories of that tournament. The first was when I went with my mother to the grocery store, and they were handing out the WC USA jersey's with the mascot on them and as usual, my mom lost track of me because I forgot that she ever existed and all I could do was admire the coloring of the shirt and anticipate the start of the tournament.

I remember we had a really small veranda where I used to watch the matches with the driver (yes some of us arabs have drivers :o my dad doesnt dare to drive in this crazy country) He is Sudani and he used to bring all his Sudani friends to watch the matches and they were all going for Nigeria and they would dance they way Amokachi and Rashidi Yekini did when they scored. I was with Italy because my first football match was Milan 4 - 0 Barca just a few weeks earlier and after Italy lost to Ireland, the Sudani's did their special mathematics and calculated that surely Nigeria would kick out Italy. I remember that game so clearly, Italy were almost out of the tournament until Baggio saved them (as he did throughout) and from then on he became my first football idol (especially since he shared the same birthday as mine). I followed that tournament with a passion, and I remember how ugly the Bulgarian players were, and how my aunts were mumbling that Maradona took drugs, and I read in a bullshit newspaper (green paper) that Escobar was shot (it was a big shock), and I remember how the German GK did not move when Stoichkov scored an amazing free kick in the semi's. But I also remember how I was watching the final at home with my mom (everyone was out of the house) and when Baggio missed, she kept asking me (like she usually does when things are so obvious) whether Italy lost and commenting on how stupid he is to shoot it that way and I lost it and hid my head between the couch pillows and didnt dare to show my face :lol:

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Anybody remember Juve's box to box midfielder, Vladimir Jugovic? He was pretty good.

Clarence

Feel the indifference
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Ibra, Thiago Silva, Pirlo, Totti.
Super-sub Daniel Fonseca. Too bad he was mostly injured.

Schedule