Gianni Vio Thread

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
double wall
tumblr_n9eflj0CDb1qkjio8o1_1280.jpg

milanpalermo23

Fanta-allenatore
Reaction score
Balo's goal was going in anyways,

But this guy is pure brilliance. Best signing so far.

We looked great on every set piece....that one set piece that was called offsides, if times correctly we had like 5 players alone. And even balotelli 35 yard free kick almost went in with the extra men we added to the wall

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Grazie Gianni

Lol at Alves complaining he couldn't see anything because like 6 of our players purposely blocked his view :lol:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IDK why we used it in preseason.

Will just make other teams aware of it now

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Meh... sure he has a lot more up his sleeve

Hoping we see at least half of success Fiorentina had with him

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

But what can they do about it? Even if they have a plan, they'll be always confused about what freekick variation we use at what time. I see no disadvantage in this smoke and mirror situation.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Serie A has rules against it. Needs to be perfected.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Serie A has rules against it. Needs to be perfected.

It was perfectly legal. They were standing offside but all sprinted to onside positions before the ball was kicked (pretty much our tactic in every set-piece we've taken this summer). It's good because the opposing defenders cannot really man-mark our players tightly and our players can roam around the off-side position and change positions and their players will be absolutely lost trying to mark their assigned man. It's a great tactic that I'm pretty certain will be be caught upon by the rest of Europe and used more often.

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
If we cant be dangerous with Balo, Alex, Rami jumping then fuck it.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What Serie A specific rules?

The offside rule suffers another tweak, as from now on there will be further protection for goalkeepers and punishment of any opponent blocking his view, even if the player is not contributing to the move.

http://www.football-italia.net/53330/refs-spray-offside-and-racism

Yesterday it was pulled off perfectly but from what I make of it - if one of the players had been in offside then Serie A official would have been instructed to call offside.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The offside rule suffers another tweak, as from now on there will be further protection for goalkeepers and punishment of any opponent blocking his view, even if the player is not contributing to the move.

Yesterday it was pulled off perfectly but from what I make of it - if one of the players had been in offside then Serie A official would have been instructed to call offside.

btw, that rule is all over the world not just Serie A

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
btw, that rule is all over the world not just Serie A
Yeah, but as mentioned from this season referees are encouraged to protect the goalkeepers more.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Inzaghi: The goal from the free kick was a training scheme, but Honda struck the ball well.

#GianniVioEffect

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

This is just the kind of directive that Serie A refs usually 'misuse'. They will be overly strict for no reason.

Yeah, execution has to be perfect now.

milanazkals

Basketball player
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Van Bommel, Donnarumma, Alaba, Grealish
I can see the changes. Team is more dangerous in set pieces now. Good job Vio.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Best signing this year along with Alex.

We are so dangerous on the set pieces.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^Ok??

This guy is responsible for attacking set pieces. Hes not here to organize our defensive set up for corners.

Raz

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tassotti is responsible for defensive set pieces. We were just as shit at defending set pieces before Vio came here and under 3 different coaches. Tassotti is the only constant.

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
We had 9 corners, they had 1 and they scored 1 goal while we didn't do shit.

That pretty much says that Tassotti AND Vio are shit.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
There is only one way to solve our defensive set piece frailty...... bring back Ibra.

Before (yes even Carlo years) and after we have been rubbish in this area.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
The fact is that we are the team that has conceded the most from corners in the whole Serie A ... 7 out of 19 goals is too much.

As about attacking goals from dead balls, excluding a goal from De Jong I believe, Gianni Vio schemes have brought in shit. Compare that with teams like Sampdoria and Genoa who have had plenty of goals from dead ball situations and the answer becomes clear that we spend very little time working on dead balls as a team and positioning properly to cover the most ground.
One doesn't need to be tall like Alex to cover his area, and FFS Zaza's goal was not even a high ball

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I also am for the opinion that Vio has brought in pretty much nothing. At the beginning I felt our setpieces are rather dangerous, but I haven't seen any thing good or impressive since September. The free kicks scored were all direct and maybe Vio decided to line the wall differently, but we haven't really seen any goals that should be credited to Vio yet.

We've had countless free kicks that are being wasted every game.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
The movements on our attacking set pieces are better but we don't have players who can deliver dangerous balls. Montolivo doesn't really whip them, his crosses never seem to drop at the right place. Honda has been very disappointing with his set pieces and his technique is just strange and seems to defy physics. Compare these to Berardi for example who whips it beautifully so that it lands on the players foot / head at the perfect height and as slowly as possible.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Tassotti is responsible for defensive set pieces. We were just as shit at defending set pieces before Vio came here and under 3 different coaches. Tassotti is the only constant.

You know, people bring that good point up every so often.

The only thing I can think of is that Tassotti has been exposed to Sacci, Capello, Carlo and they want a guy with all of that experience on the coaching staff....
Just conjecture of course..

I wonder if Milan ever land a guy like Klopp..I would think a coach like that would clean out the coaching staff. Dunno.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
please sack this shit, look at atletico, 19 goals scored from set pieces this season.

milan has scored only 3-4 goals from set-pieces.

Schedule