All About Movies

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Babel - extremely boring. It wasted two hours and a half of my life in one out of the two free days I have this exam session. Three interconnected stories (just as in Amores Perros and 21 Grams but worse) with plenty of people making many extremely stupid decisions for which we should feel sorry about. If this is "The Departed"'s main contender for the Oscars, then the former, although not a fantastic movie, is by far the better choice. The "hated it" comments on IMDB make many valid points:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449467/usercomments?filter=hate

Borat - good but under my expectations. Many of the scenes that weren't included in the movie were actually better than the movie itself. And damn, you must have some stomach to shoot the scene where Borat and Bagatov wrestle naked.

Mr C

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
r3dman said:
It was kinda' cute, at least the main character (Jessica Biel) was. I cannot forget the moment in which she's running and her tits jump up and down.

LOL, well cute... shame bout all the gore and leg cutting ey?? ;) :tongue:

Rex, it's well wrth the watch, horrors don't freak me out, but i was surprised by this film...

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
David said:
Babel - extremely boring. It wasted two hours and a half of my life in one out of the two free days I have this exam session. Three interconnected stories (just as in Amores Perros and 21 Grams but worse) with plenty of people making many extremely stupid decisions for which we should feel sorry about. If this is "The Departed"'s main contender for the Oscars, then the former, although not a fantastic movie, is by far the better choice. The "hated it" comments on IMDB make many valid points:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449467/usercomments?filter=hate

their "valid" points :rolleyes: they just saw something they didn't like and didn't ask themselves why those things happened... about the stupid decisions, we all make stupid decisions, cause we're human and we're not perfect... this film shows the lack of communication, understanding and tolerance (between a married couple, 2 diff cultures(even though every culture shares the human nature), a father with his daughter and a deaf person with the rest of the world) even though it seems like at present we live in a globalized and intercommunicated world(internet, phone, cellphones, etc) and you might not now what or when something you do that seems little will affect people around the globe...
spoilers! said:
The scenes of the deaf japanese girl in which she acts promiscously was because she needed love, she needed to be understood, she wanted to express herself... her parts were my fave, they were great.
this movie relied on cinematography a lot; the images and the colors were meant to be analyzed... Rodrigo Prieto made an excellent job there, as always
:star:, when I was wondering something, he showed it to me...

if you thought the movie was boring because of it's pace, it was meant to be that way so that you could feel the miscommunication and a bit of anxiousness, kind of like Irreversible wants to make you feel the sickness of the rape scene...

anyway... that's what I think, this movie was great, just that you have to go watch it with the intention of looking for symbolisms and details, specially in the images
I'm looking forward to watching it again this weekend after thinking about it for quite a long time (I've been thinking about new things since when I saw it, back in Nov?)

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
David said:
Borat - good but under my expectations. Many of the scenes that weren't included in the movie were actually better than the movie itself. And damn, you must have some stomach to shoot the scene where Borat and Bagatov wrestle naked.
The man himself on the Golden Globe Awards(won it):"Ken, when I was in that scene and I stared down and saw your two wrinkled golden globes on my chin, I thought to myself, 'I'd better win a bloody award for this'."

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We all make stupid decisions - sure - but, for example,

Spoiler:
getting in a car with two little kids and a drunkard on the wheel in the middle of the night and later leaving those two little kids alone in the middle of the desert

is a stupid decision idiots make and then,

Spoiler:
later expecting the audience to feel sorry that the "decision maker" has been deported

is a bit of a stretch.

This movie is way worse compared to the former two. The cast is good but they're not being asked for much either.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Jasper said:
The man himself on the Golden Globe Awards(won it):"Ken, when I was in that scene and I stared down and saw your two wrinkled golden globes on my chin, I thought to myself, 'I'd better win a bloody award for this'."

Didn't he also mention something about some gas being trapped for a number of years or something ... And to think the other winners were crying their hearts out.

Rex

Reaction score
I watched The Notorious Bettie Page two days ago. Tells the story about uber-successful 1950's pin-up model, one of the first sex icons in America, and the target of a Senate investigation (based on her bondage photos).

Just heard about this legendary Bettie Page after seeing this movie, all in all Gretchen Mol makes this movie rocks. :) :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
David said:

Is there a compilation of all the deleted scenes? I've seen some on youtube (throw the J*w in the well ... LOL) but is there a torrent, perhaps, of all the deleted scenes?

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
David said:
Out of all the movies on that list, I've only seen "The Departed" (good but that's it), "Blood Diamond" (good movie with excellent acting from the main two characters - Leonardo Di Caprio and Djimon Hounsou),

Yeah watched blood diamond. Good movie and great acting. Havent watched the departed yet but looking forward to watching it soon.

Rex

Reaction score
Last night I watched The Grudge 2. Looks there might be following sequel, though.

Still I desperately looking forward to seeing the original Ju-On.

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Rex said:
Last night I watched The Grudge 2. Looks there might be following sequel, though.

Still I desperately looking forward to seeing the original Ju-On.
yeah i also watched it , but i think Part 1 is much scarier

crazymilangirl

Busy, Busy, Busy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaka, Gourcuff, Gattuso, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf and Superpippo!!!!
i got a thing for old movies on friday nights

and so on friday night i watched armageddon...(dunno how old)
bruce willis, liv tyler, ben affleck, owen wilson...i was kinda sleepy(kept falling asleep) but it was good! i liked it alot :p

and found out that we might watch euro trip during norwegian class LMAO our topic was "drama" and the teacher picked EURO TRIP coudln't stop laughing..OMG
thats norwegian school for you..WACK!

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
I've watched "The Departed" last night and I loved it. Also I watched "Babel" which was kinda' weak. I have three more to go.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
r3dman said:
I've watched "The Departed" last night and I loved it. Also I watched "Babel" which was kinda' weak. I have three more to go.
Watched "Departed" as well during the weekend but it didn't get to me that much. I mean the way "Internal Affairs" were unfolded was better IMO. Maybe I'm saying this only cause I saw the Asian version first. Still Departed is a good movie definetly.

Saw Children of Men too. And for me it wasn't as good as imdb.com's 8.2. I'd give it a 6 since it was rather boring. The good thing about it was the soundtrack and a character named Jasper(Michael Caine) was cool too.

Movie/thriller I would recommend is The Prestige. Movie how to magicians become rivals mixes fiction with history and it keeps you excited. The best thing about this movie was the on-going tension and there was always something happening and something for you to figure out. Id give it 8.5

One movie that made a good impression for me was Van Wilder. It was on TV and since these teenage-flicks usually don't make me laugh I didn't really plan to watch it. But there was a break in the other channel and I somehow managed to land on the best joke of the film. Least for me and I laughed at it for the whole movie. Still brings a smirk to my face when I think of it. Seeing this comedy it brought back memories of the time I First saw Animal House and for my suprise I found out that Wilder was also National Lampoons delivery. I'd give it a 7. (it's pretty much the max for a college movie)

This weekend there's one movie on my schedule. Casanova. It's a TV version with Peter O'Toole playing the old librarian telling his story to a young maide. Unexpectedly good for a TV movie was my first impression when I saw the first of two parts.

Ofcourse I've seen Rocky Balboa and since I'm a Rocky-fan I have to give ti n/a. But still-watch it;). Imdb's 7.6 is earned fare and square.

Some films on what I wasted my time:
Dead or Alive (don't ask), Grandma's Boy, Beerfest, Cars. None of them made me laugh. Ok, we can forgive "Cars" since it should be a family-movie but others were utter crap. For seeing a good comedy Bad Santa and Thank You For Smoking get my recommendation. (both 8-9)

Can't remember more and hopefully I didn't mix up the links:)

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
Jasper said:
Watched "Departed" as well during the weekend but it didn't get to me that much. Maybe I'm saying this only cause I saw the Asian version first.
Well, if there's an asian version, it has a lot of chances to be better than the hollywood one (not a rule).
Jasper said:
Some films on what I wasted my time:
Beerfest
Come on, Beerfest was cool. "Das Boot, das boot, das boot". I have a friend who's a beer maniac and watching the movie with him was a lot of fun. BTW he just found out some "Boots", but much smaller then the ones in the movies. I can't wait to drink from that.

I've seen "Birth" with Nicole Kidman yesterday. I just love her. The movie was nice too, I mean the ideea behind the movie. Also after that "Stuck on you", with Matt Damon (like they said in "Team America": Miat Daymohn":D). The movie was ok, but let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Children of Men - average at best and way under my expectations. 5 out of 10. Silly plot as well. I'm getting tired of these silly doom and gloom movies. And

Spoiler:

if you cast Julianne Moore, don't kill her after 15 minutes.

The Last King of Scotland - fine movie. I'd rate it as a 7. Forest Whitaker's performance is 10+ and deserves the Oscar. Would've been interesting to have seen more of Amin's antics rather than the doctor's. Also, the guy playing the doctor couldn't quite keep up with Whitaker when it came to acting.

The Prestige - the best movie out of these three by far! 9 out of 10 is my rating. Christian Bale is fantastic once again - what a great actor! He should've been nominated for an Oscar. Hugh Jackman ain't too shabby either - certainly a great great improvement compared to the romantic comedies I've seen him in. The movie itself should've gotten an Oscar nomination for Best Motion Picture as it definitely blows fancy tripe such as Babel out of the water. And to my surprise, I haven't noticed that this is a Christopher Nolan movie until the final credits. Well done!

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Haven't had time to watch the nominated movies. I've downloaded Babel but have been discouraged to watch it from comments here. I made the biggest mistake of watching The Snow Walker during one of my study breaks ... the movie's so sad I actually thought it was good :cry:

Red&Black--Lion

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kirsten kreuk & Angelina Jolie,
r3dman said:
Well, if there's an asian version, it has a lot of chances to be better than the hollywood one (not a rule).

I've seen the asian version, and it rocked! very good movie

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
David said:
Forest Whitaker's performance is 10+ and deserves the Oscar. Would've been interesting to have seen more of Amin's antics rather than the doctor's.
I totally agree. I felt terrified by the dictator. Also, I have to say that the evolution of the character is great. Great acting, cool movie.

I've also seen "Children of men" and I liked it because of Clive Owen and Michael Caine. The script was poor though. I do agree with what you've wrote in the spoiler because I totally like J.M.

A movie that I totally loved is Blood Diamond. It's got everything and I enjoyed the performances, especially Leo's accent. I haven't seen a better movie from the summer till now.

Last edited:

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
I just watched American Pie 4...Comedy with some fucking sexy parts, entertaining most of the time...

thismisery

soul of the world
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Giggs, C. Ronaldo, Vidic
I saw 8 Mile right now... It was on a free TV canal.. lol
I wasn't interested in this movie, but I kept watching.
Seriously? I expected more from that movie, well glad to see I didn't throw any money out.

Rex

Reaction score
KAKA' 22 said:
I just watched American Pie 4...Comedy with some fucking sexy parts, entertaining most of the time...

The Band Camp ? :)

----------------------

Just watched Saw III last night. Game Over. :D

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta

crazymilangirl

Busy, Busy, Busy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaka, Gourcuff, Gattuso, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf and Superpippo!!!!
gosh, i'm dying to watch hannibal rising :p dunno why but it looks good (yuck) :tongue:
i know if i buy the ticket etc and actually manage to sneak in then suddenly i'd become my normal self and go ballistic abt the movie and run out

but it looks really good..anyone seen it yet?

thismisery

soul of the world
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Giggs, C. Ronaldo, Vidic
Saw 3?
How was it? Scary?
Saw 2 didn't impress me at all.

Rex

Reaction score
shaph said:
Saw 3?
How was it? Scary?
Saw 2 didn't impress me at all.

The part III is such a least flashback picture how the up-next puzzle begin to play within the inner circle between Jigsaw and Amanda, his new apprentice. The traps are quite good caught to eye (even there aren't not many gruesome traps, aside from the plot is fine) but don't expect too much on this sequel. It's still well worth watching if you won't miss the whole trilogy.

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino
i watched 5 old classic movies in last week:
Brave Heart.
Big Blue.
Saving Private Ryan.
Shawshank Redemption.
Jurassic Park.