The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

View Poll Results: Ronnieboy will
return as soon possible, guns blazing and save our asses this season 80 43.24%
definitely be fit by the time Christian Maldini makes his debut 62 33.51%
WHY DO YOU WANT A POLL when he's gonna get crocked again!!!? (tougue-in-cheek) 43 23.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-12-2010, 20:09   #5601
Senatore_M84
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Clarence Clyde Seedorf

It's my impression Zidane and Maradonna are the two-non brazilians respected most (for footballing ability) in Brazil. Is that right?
Senatore_M84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 20:10   #5602
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

romario is a great player but I havent seen a player like ronaldo at his peak, his peak > anybody but maradonna, career wise zidane romario might overtake him.

braisilians expected a sure shot win in 98 and he almost did it(what a game against dutch) and he was blamed for failure which is ridiculous but when brasilain national team fails every one goes mad.
2002 he made it easy which was like walk in the park even though he came back from a major injury , made brasil qualify in that wc with a win against australia(not sure).
2006 was a failure even though he was one of the decent performing players in that shit team. I am speculating why he is underrated in brasil, I dont know the real reason some brasilians can comment on this ......

Thanks Sven but I think zidane was not the best player in wc 98 naah noway, then again winners are always right
Ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 20:12   #5603
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy

Fav. Players: Allegri, Romagnoli, Bonaventura, Prince, Yepes, Nesta, Seedorf

Who are the most respected and loved figures in Brazil?

And i know all the provincial crap like hating players from your rivals etc, just in general though.

Signature
Phillipe Mexes of R&B Mafia Games
Silvio Berlusconi
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 20:19   #5604
Redman10
AC Milan Icon

I think Brazilian even rate Zico higher than Ronaldo. I thought Ronaldo was 2nd after Pele maybe at worst 3rd behind Garrincha.
Redman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 20:26   #5605
Ashish
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Duncan, Ginobli, Eli Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman10 View Post
I think Brazilian even rate Zico higher than Ronaldo. I thought Ronaldo was 2nd after Pele maybe at worst 3rd behind Garrincha.
exactly
I dont know why, as an outsider i thought similarly then again they have their own view
Old 31-12-2010, 20:29   #5606
Xudong
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatore_M84 View Post
It's my impression Zidane and Maradonna are the two-non brazilians respected most (for footballing ability) in Brazil. Is that right?
All Brazilians I know (about 20 of them) hate those two very much, but I am sure that is a respect/hate mixture, which supports your point.

Signature
FORZA MILAN
Xudong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 20:29   #5607
Madridista
not exactly a lightweight

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Pato, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Cassano, Drogba, Pandev, Balotelli, Benzema, Kaka, Isco, Jese

That is also correct. Part of the reason is that Ronaldo isn't really the typical Brazilian footballer. His style is a bit too direct and physical for the ideals of brazilian football purists. As Sven said, the classic dreamy #10 is more appreciated. For all his skill, Ronaldo was also a physical monster.

Signature

#ForeverMario
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 20:54   #5608
Sven
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatore_M84 View Post
Apart from the Brazil-Argentine rivalrie, yes. And also, players with strong WC displays are rated higher.

But people respect Maradona for his football and snub everything else. Mainstream media in Brazil uses Pelé (the best footballer ever) to humilliate the Argentinian cult on Maradona. But this rivalrie comes most from Rio and São Paulo, my State is closer to Argentina and we feel like outsiders on this issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KujaIX View Post
Who are the most respected and loved figures in Brazil?

And i know all the provincial crap like hating players from your rivals etc, just in general though.
Quote:
Pelé is the one. Then comes Garrincha. It's hard to find a third place, but players from 70 and 82 are problably mixed here - Zico, Sócrates, Rivelino, Gérson, Nílton Santos.... And to this one can add the modern players like Romário and Ronaldo. Of course, every club will overvaluate his own idol - like Flamengo with Zico and so on...
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 22:01   #5609
MilanMB
Serendipity

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Romagnoli.

What about this. Can Pele really be counted as one of the best ever?

Football was so different back then. Competition wasn't so fierce and defenders didn't really know how to handle someone with a big talent.

But on the other hand, the attackers were handled very tough and aggressive, bad rules etc.

I can't really make up my mind. But I'm leaning more towards no, ultimately I don't think someone from that era can be counted as the best ever. I mean, how many have really seen Pele in a full game? Isn't he more of a myth?

I know it's off-topic but Brazilians and comparisons Pele has been discussed so...

Signature
GOAT
MilanMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 23:07   #5610
Tantalis
Heyoka

Quote:
its because zico was part of a legendary team, just give it time soon ronaldo will be rated higher than zico. The teams ronaldo played with arent considered legendary yet though in another 10 years or so it will be.
Tantalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 23:30   #5611
Congo Powers
sempre grintuso

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, kp9

zidane and ronaldo r teh 2 best players in history for me personally.

from my biased perspective..these r the only two players that i would go out of my way to watch. of course i've only watched milan games regularly since i was a wee kid but if zidane was playing, i'd have 2 peep. if ronaldo was playing, i'd have 2 peep.
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 00:25   #5612
Sven
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMB View Post
What about this. Can Pele really be counted as one of the best ever?

Football was so different back then. Competition wasn't so fierce and defenders didn't really know how to handle someone with a big talent.

But on the other hand, the attackers were handled very tough and aggressive, bad rules etc.

I can't really make up my mind. But I'm leaning more towards no, ultimately I don't think someone from that era can be counted as the best ever. I mean, how many have really seen Pele in a full game? Isn't he more of a myth?

I know it's off-topic but Brazilians and comparisons Pele has been discussed so...
I agree with you on this. I always think it's a bit of pointless to compare players, much more players from different ages and that few have really followed/watched.

Pelé was one of the greats, there's no doubt about that because of his accomplishments and skills, this can't be denied. But of course there is a huge myth surrounding him. In Brazil he was made God-like by the journalists and a dictatorship seeking to use him, football, mass-media, Seleção and World Cups to create a national identity around football.

All that stuff that people call today as Samba football, or Joga Bonito, or "futebol arte" in Brazil, is nothing new. It was first created in the 60's in Brazil, the work of intelectuals, journalists and politicians. More than that, this idea was exported, and with such success that one can find Brazilian supporters all around the world 40 years after.

All that was at first built around Seleção and of course around the face, goals and the myth of Pelé. So it's hard for us, 40 years after, to know exactly where the myth ends and the football starts. And I think it's pointless to know this anyway.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 00:30   #5613
drucurl
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
zidane and ronaldo r teh 2 best players in history for me personally.

from my biased perspective..these r the only two players that i would go out of my way to watch. of course i've only watched milan games regularly since i was a wee kid but if zidane was playing, i'd have 2 peep. if ronaldo was playing, i'd have 2 peep.
<3 you bruh n/h
drucurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11   #5614
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Fav. Players: Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I agree with you on this. I always think it's a bit of pointless to compare players, much more players from different ages and that few have really followed/watched.

Pelé was one of the greats, there's no doubt about that because of his accomplishments and skills, this can't be denied. But of course there is a huge myth surrounding him. In Brazil he was made God-like by the journalists and a dictatorship seeking to use him, football, mass-media, Seleção and World Cups to create a national identity around football.

All that stuff that people call today as Samba football, or Joga Bonito, or "futebol arte" in Brazil, is nothing new. It was first created in the 60's in Brazil, the work of intelectuals, journalists and politicians. More than that, this idea was exported, and with such success that one can find Brazilian supporters all around the world 40 years after.

All that was at first built around Seleção and of course around the face, goals and the myth of Pelé. So it's hard for us, 40 years after, to know exactly where the myth ends and the football starts. And I think it's pointless to know this anyway.
Garrincha's rated as highly as Pele in Brazil isn't he?
manutd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 14:12   #5615
Redman10
AC Milan Icon

Some have Garrincha over Pele.
Redman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 14:32   #5616
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy

Fav. Players: Allegri, Romagnoli, Bonaventura, Prince, Yepes, Nesta, Seedorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd fan View Post
Garrincha's rated as highly as Pele in Brazil isn't he?
And Bobby Moore is rated higher than Gary Lineker. It works that way.

Signature
Phillipe Mexes of R&B Mafia Games
Silvio Berlusconi
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 16:28   #5617
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Fav. Players: Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KujaIX View Post
And Bobby Moore is rated higher than Gary Lineker. It works that way.
Don't see much wrong in that tbh. It's those who think Bobby Moore is the greatest Englishman of all time, when he clearly isn't, that get's a bit annoying.
manutd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:30   #5618
Terminator
Rookie

HIS FIRST GOAL! HIS COMEBACK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFNX82_10fY

RONALDO RONALDO RONALDO TRUE LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:43   #5619
Ashish
Banned

If i wa there i would have gone skydiving from top tier fcukkkkkkkkkkkk
Old 15-01-2011, 23:41   #5620
Madridista
not exactly a lightweight

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Pato, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Cassano, Drogba, Pandev, Balotelli, Benzema, Kaka, Isco, Jese

doesnt get better than this.

Signature

#ForeverMario
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote