Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
trapattoni.jpg

Name: Giovanni Trapattoni
Date of Birth: March 17, 1939 (age 71)
Nationality: Cusano Milanino, Italy
Playing Position: Defender, Midfielder
National Team: (Player 960–1964) Italy with [17 games + 1 goal].
Clubs: Milan (Player 1959-1972) with [274 games + 3 goals] and Varese (Player 1971–1972) with [10 games]

Defender - With two European Cups and an Intercontinental Cup to his name, the silverware that Giovanni Trapattoni collected as a player is nothing to be bashful about. All the more impressive then, that the trophies the AC Milan man went on to win as a manager utterly dwarf what he won as a player.

As an AC Milan player, wins two league titles (1962, 1968), two European Cups (1963, 1969), the Copa Italia (1967), and the European Cup Winners' Cup (1968). Leaves A.C Milan in 1971 for FC Varese before retiring having won 17 caps.

Trapattoni began coaching at Milan as a youth team coach, before becoming caretaker coach. He was appointed first team coach in 1975.

He coached several clubs like: Jube, Merda, Bayern Munich, Cagliari, Fiorentina, Benfica, VfB Stuttgart, Red Bull Salzburg and Italian National Team

In September 2009, he signed a new contract with Ireland as manager until the 2012 European Championships.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Hall of Fame: Giovanni Trapattoni

Over a decade in charge of La Vecchia Signora he gathered her more jewels than anyone else in her history
Words: Giancarlo Rinaldi

trap.jpg

Close your eyes and try to imagine Florence without its Duomo, Venice in the absence of St Mark’s Square or Rome minus the Seven Hills. It is equally difficult to contemplate the Italian football landscape without Giovanni Trapattoni. From his Serie A debut in 1960 to his current incarnation as ambassador to the Republic of Ireland he has always been a prominent feature on the Calcio skyline. It is hard to fathom how the game ever existed without him.

Although he has been a constant in the sport, it does not mean there is a uniform view of the man – quite the opposite. Ask followers of different clubs and you will get a very different vision of ‘il Trap’. For Milan fans he will always be the defensive midfielder who anchored their first European Cup triumphs. To Juventini, he is simply the most successful Coach they have ever had. At Inter, he is a record-breaker while in Florence he remains a nearly man. And, in many countries across Europe, he is an idiosyncratic Italian who came and coached a side to win the domestic League title. Wherever he has gone he has left his mark.

“I was lucky to play with a big team like Milan and then to manage sides like Juventus, Inter and Bayern Munich, and I won the odd honour,” he once said. “I started out as a boy and became a man, but I still lived in a world which I have a great passion for. The game of football has given me trophies and fame but it has never changed my values. I like to think I am still a simple person, close to his roots in Cusano Milanino.”

Trapattoni’s playing career was dedicated almost exclusively to the nearest thing he could get to a hometown club, Milan. He made his debut a couple of months shy of his 21st birthday and stayed for 12 years in total. He struck just three Serie A goals for the Milanese outfit but helped them win two League titles, a Coppa Italia, two European Cups, the Cup-Winners Cup and a World Club Cup. For anybody else that would be an impressive haul.

The thing is, after a swansong season with Varese, he went on to eclipse his playing achievements with his managerial exploits. Most people who saw him play didn’t doubt his perfectionist approach would translate well to the technical area. Few could have suspected just how successful he would be.

He started out as a Coach with the Milan youth team and learned his trade under the legendary Nereo Rocco. Within a little more than a year of his last Serie A appearance he took over the helm at the Rossoneri and never looked back. However, it was his switch to the bench at Juventus in 1976 which really saw his career set off into the stratosphere.

The alignment of the stars was almost perfect from day one. The Bianconeri had put together a glittering array of Italy’s best young talent but they were crying out for a Coach to guide them. In Trapattoni, just 37-years-old at the time, they found what they needed. While many would have been spinning out the twilight of their playing days, he was off in pursuit of more silverware.

It was not slow in coming and there was no shortage of it. Over a decade in charge of La Vecchia Signora he gathered her more jewels than anyone else in her history. Six Scudetti, two Italian Cups, all three major European trophies, the European Super Cup and the World Club Cup were brought to Turin. Go back and read that sentence again. Yes, that really is how much Trapattoni’s Juventus won.

There is a drive, however, inside the man which would not allow him to rest on his laurels. He could have become a ‘senator’ for the Bianconeri for life and lived off his reputation. Instead, he took up the challenge which has been the death of many a coaching career – the Inter job. It might have ruined the astonishing aura he had built up as a tactician. Instead, it simply added more lustre to the Trapattoni name.

The 1988-89 campaign was one of the greatest the Nerazzurri ever enjoyed. They destroyed the opposition and ended the season with 58 points out of a possible 68 – a stunning 11 ahead of closest rivals Napoli. It was a pillar to post victory as they shared the League lead in the first four weeks of the season before taking it to themselves and never relinquishing it again. A new chapter in the Trap legend had been written.

In Italy, perhaps, that was the end of his golden age. He returned for a second spell at Juve, but he had the impossible task of matching past glories. He also spent time with Cagliari and Fiorentina – taking the Viola as close as they had ever been to a third Scudetto. However, prior to those provincial adventures he opened himself up to new horizons.

In 1994, Trap took the Bayern Munich job for a season and returned to the German giants in 1996 helping them to win the Bundesliga. Since then he has won the Portuguese championship with Benfica and the Austrian title with Red Bull Salzburg before embarking on his amazing voyage as Coach of the Republic of Ireland. It is a challenge which pitted him against his one serious failure – the Azzurri.

Most would argue that the post with the Italian national team came his way a bit too late. By the year 2000, the 61-year-old’s methods were starting to seem unsuited to the tactics most players practiced in Serie A. The Arrigo Sacchi revolution had been and gone and his appointment seemed like a desperate attempt to go back to some time-honoured values. It did not work out.

He had the excuse of Byron Moreno and the infamous defeat to host nation South Korea as a reason for elimination from the World Cup in 2002. Even his team’s knock-out from Euro 2004, courtesy of a widely forecast 2-2 draw between Denmark and Sweden, had its extenuating circumstances. Nonetheless, it was hard to avoid the feeling he was yesterday’s man.

Those who know him, however, never thought any such thing. With a glint in his wily old eye, his grey hair as smooth as silk and a faithful bottle of holy water he was ready for a new challenge. At first it seemed his links with the Irish job were little more than a media orchestration, but slowly it emerged there was truth behind the rumours. The next thing you knew Trap O’Toni was born.

With hindsight, it was a perfect move for a man with a passion for the game which sometimes spills over in slightly comical displays of temper. The Republic of Ireland had lacked a charismatic leader since the days of Jack Charlton. Who better to fill that void than an occasionally eccentric Italian? And, despite its development, he still loves the game.

“Football has changed deeply,” he admitted in one interview. “Once upon a time it was all about passion and enjoyment and it was, in my view, a bit more human. Nowadays, the enormous financial interests surrounding the world of football can sometimes spoil that atmosphere and have taken the game away from the truly sporting values of the past.”

Approaching his 70th birthday and with nearly 50 years in top-flight football under his belt, most men would be thinking of a little retirement villa in the sun. Anyone with an appreciation of Trapattoni will understand that was simply never an option. This is a man whose finest hour in an Italy shirt was marking the great Pele out of the game. That kind of tenacity and ferocious determination still burns within him. And it looks like it will be quite some time before the flames ever die down.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
trapattoni.jpg

Giovanni Trapattoni, now 71, is one of the grand old men of European football and a manager who has won numerous titles across the continent; in Italy, Germany, Portugal and Austria. In fact, he is one of only two coaches to have won a league title in four different countries, the other being the great Austrian manager Ernst Happel. He may have opted to take on several lower-profile jobs in recent years, but Trapattoni more than deserves to be recognised as one of the most astute and relentlessly successful coaches of his generation.

Read the entire article at:
http://equaliserfootball.com/2010/08/12/15-trapattoni/

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Traitor! Scum of the earth! Go to hell you two faced whore!

How dare he leave the club, where he spent his ENTIRE career, and go on to coach Jube & Merda and win them trophies :mad:

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
Its just me or his face when young kinda looks like Leo, lawl what a coincidence :D

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Its just me or his face when young kinda looks like Leo, lawl what a coincidence :D

:D:tongue:

Guess it does. ;)

Of course I hope similarity between the 2 ends there and not continue in terms of coaching career, trophies to be more specific. :head:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Traitor! Scum of the earth! Go to hell you two faced whore!

How dare he leave the club, where he spent his ENTIRE career, and go on to coach Jube & Merda and win them trophies :mad:
DudeComeOn.png

Get well soon Giovanni, twitter had me scared for a second.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
How dare he leave the club, where he spent his ENTIRE career
71-72? Failing at trolling or doubletrolling?

This thread is worthless without the press conference:

akewander

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka , Maldini, Zidane, Pato, Thiago silva, Gattuso.
he denied the stroke rumours, he should quit though (coaching), his health should come first

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
71-72? Failing at trolling or doubletrolling?

Damn ur right! Those 10 games for Varese during his ONE season (end of career) there totally trumps the TWELVE seasons he spent at Milan :rolleyes:

Get well soon Milan Legend who coached and won titles for arch rivals but is still considered Milan legend coz fans back then had functioning brain cells.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Damn ur right! Those 10 games for Varese during his ONE season (end of career) there totally trumps the TWELVE seasons he spent at Milan :rolleyes:
Wee_O, you even bolded and caps locked the word entire. Yourself. ROLLEYES YOURSELF
Definition of ENTIRE
: having no element or part left out : whole <was alone the entire day>
: complete in degree : total <their entire devotion to their family>
a : consisting of one piece b : homogeneous, unmixed c : intact <strove to keep the collection entire>
: not castrated
: having the margin continuous or free from indentations <an entire leaf>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entire?show=0&t=1294258859

WTF is this bold + CAPS LOCK suppose to mean? Terminator(the user) on speed? See Az.,this is pretentiousness.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Wee_O, you even bolded and caps locked the word entire. Yourself. ROLLEYES YOURSELF
Definition of ENTIRE
a : consisting of one piece b : homogeneous, unmixed c : intact <strove to keep the collection entire>

WTF is this bold + CAPS LOCK suppose to mean? Terminator(the user) on speed? See Az.,this is pretentiousness.

PWNED! ZOMG Jasper you are fucking :star: :star: :D

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Definition of ENTIRE

Congrats! You can use the dictionary!

Thanx for pwning me coz 10 games is most definitely >>>>>>>> 12 yrs and me using ENTIRE just makes it so wrong :cry:

Let me fix that for you:

How dare he leave the club where he ALMOST spent his ENTIRE career bar that one season at Varese which consisted of approximately 10 games.

Is that better? You're welcome!

Now go bash Leo so you can look like a true Milan supporter :proud: (now that is pretentiousness ;)).

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Now go bash Leo so you can look like a true Milan supporter :proud:

Where is the hair-gif? Now go bash Carlo so you can look like a true Milan supporter :proud:

Allright back to Trappatoni. Personally I don't know much of him. In my years of football he has been a coach. Most notably I remember him coaching Italy at 2002 Korea-Japan WC. I remember him banging on the fourth official box or sth when Italy was getting fistf*cked by the infamous referee Byron Moreno. I also remember he used to put holy water on the pitch(blessed by someone in his family back at Italy?) before the game .

Little meme crossover.
36b08ed4-9ccc-42fa-b94c-f4f4eacbd616.jpg

Now that I think of it, a bit sad how his qualification with Ireland as well as quarterfinals appearance were lost due to enourmos referee errors.

LimerickMilan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Pato, Zidane, Maldini, McGrath, Keane, Weah, Shevchenko, Gullit, Figo, Ronaldo, Inzaghi,
Thank you El Trap

I just want to say how delighted I am that the Irish International football team is being well managed by that great former Milan Player and manager Giovanni Trapattoni :D

In my country he is not everybodys cup of tea, but he certainly manages to get the best out of the resources at his disposal.

The Rep of Ireland are now joint top of our group with Russia and Slovakia and I'm sure El Trap will get us over the line to qualify for the European Championships.

So, please show some love for Ireland's savior and one of Milans finest El Trap!

Thank you Trapattoni :)

samir10

Moaaarr Attackers :proud:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tuesday 29 March, 2011
Trap tips Milan for title
Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni thinks the title race will come down to a photo finish, but still believes Milan will hold on.

This weekend's Derby della Madonnina is being billed as a title decider with Inter just two points behind the League leaders at the business end of the season

Interviewed by La Gazzetta dello Sport, Trapattoni said: “I like Max Allegri. He has been a wonderful surprise. In the summer everyone was convinced that he'd play five or six strikers to make Berlusconi happy. Instead Allegri has changed Milan's mentality. He has convinced his champions that first they must win the ball then try and fling it in the back of the net.

“An illogical team has all of sudden become a title contender thanks to three words: spirit of sacrifice. Let's put it this way. This time Milan-Inter seems like a Champions League game and in the Cup the great Zlatan has never made the different. Eleven players must win the derby then Ibra will resolve the remaining games by himself.

“If Milan want to win the Scudetto they must stop Inter now in the derby. If Leonardo overtakes Milan the title race is over. The Nerazzurri would become like those American aircraft carriers that win all the wars. Unassailable.”

http://football-italia.net/mar29a.html

LimerickMilan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Pato, Zidane, Maldini, McGrath, Keane, Weah, Shevchenko, Gullit, Figo, Ronaldo, Inzaghi,
Ye should check out some of El Trap's Interviews since he has become Rep of Ireland manager, they are really funny, bits of Italian, German, English, the guy must speak 20 languages and he uses them all during any given interview.

Hail ElTrapattoni !

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Ye should check out some of El Trap's Interviews since he has become Rep of Ireland manager, they are really funny, bits of Italian, German, English, the guy must speak 20 languages and he uses them all during any given interview.

Hail ElTrapattoni !

Why do you call him El Trap? Is it something Irish? Is he Spanish? :conf:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Football's Greatest Managers - Giovanni Trapattoni - HTTP - Sky Sports UK
EPISODE 6 OUT OF 10

Footballs+Greatest+Managers+-+Jose+Mourinho+-+22-12-2011%255B%2528001166%252900-36-57%255D.JPG

Footballs+Greatest+Managers+-+Giovanno+Trapattoni+-+26-12-11%255B%2528002820%252902-48-55%255D.JPG

Footballs+Greatest+Managers+-+Giovanno+Trapattoni+-+26-12-11%255B%2528003814%252902-48-59%255D.JPG

SOURCE: DVB-S / FORMAT: XViD / AUDIO: MP3 80Kbps / VIDEO: 640x368 - 1200Kbps / Runtime: 26 mins / Size: 200MB

Code:
http://www.filesonic.com/file/gfOqEPa/Footballs Greatest Managers - Giovanni Trapattoni - 26-12-11.avi
[B]OR[/B]
http://www.fileserve.com/file/ddGWhbf/Footballs Greatest Managers - Giovanni Trapattoni - 26-12-11.avi
[B]OR[/B]
http://hotfile.com/dl/138618750/745fbd3/Footballs_Greatest_Managers_-_Giovanni_Trapattoni_-_26-12-11.avi.html

Credits: Pakman

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Thanks bro, for these great links, I will check them all out.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Same episode

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Trapattoni: "There are players like Ibrahimovic" 02/15/2012

Trapattoni: "There are players like Ibrahimovic"

Speaking from the studios of Sky Sports, Giovanni Trapattoni has talked about the importance of having in pink Zlatan Ibrahimovic: "There are players like him, its value is set by what they do and the goals he has always done. Obviously, if the close suggestions on the outer edges, suffer the most. when he has space, can not indifferent to blows. "

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu
I had a better shot comprehending the Italian text.

Schedule