Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
I realized the next UFC event has the Gaethje fight but then I looked at the rest of the card and went kind of flaccid.

Guess we might see the last Michael Johnson fight in there if he loses and there's Warley but that card really is paper thin, even for a fight night.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
I'm finally starting muay thai. Next it's straight to the UFC. You read it here first.

drobeck

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I'm finally starting muay thai. Next it's straight to the UFC. You read it here first.

Awesome bro good luck to you.

I am seriously considering joining an Mma gym. At 27 years of age with no fighting experience, even regular fist fights or street fights, am a bit scared. What do you guys think. Am in decent shape other than scrawny legs lol.

Is there a way to spar with professionals and get knocked around without seriously getting hurt?

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Just go and leave your ego at the door, you're there to learn and train not knock someone's head off. Go as a hobby and enjoy it first and foremost I think.

I live in Las Vegas and they have great MMA gyms here, Syndicate & Xtreme Couture which I went to for a few months, shit is way too expensive though.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Three WMMA on the card for Til-Woodley, think I'll give that one a hard pass.

Saying that they could be more entertaining than that fight :lol:

drobeck

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Just go and leave your ego at the door, you're there to learn and train not knock someone's head off. Go as a hobby and enjoy it first and foremost I think.

I live in Las Vegas and they have great MMA gyms here, Syndicate & Xtreme Couture which I went to for a few months, shit is way too expensive though.

Believe me I won't have any ego lol. how much was it per month? I've got this gym i heard good things about. costs i think 100 per month or so. I live in the Columbus Ohio.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez

I am seriously considering joining an Mma gym. At 27 years of age with no fighting experience, even regular fist fights or street fights, am a bit scared. What do you guys think. Am in decent shape other than scrawny legs lol.

Is there a way to spar with professionals and get knocked around without seriously getting hurt?

first do alot of strength and conditioning. I mean alot. then train to get hit first imo. Train to get hit in torso, quads, calves etc. Work on strengthening tour neck and shoulders. Learn some basic techniques simultaneously ofcourse but learn how to take a shot first before you jump into serious mma training for specific techniques.

drobeck

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
first do alot of strength and conditioning. I mean alot. then train to get hit first imo. Train to get hit in torso, quads, calves etc. Work on strengthening tour neck and shoulders. Learn some basic techniques simultaneously ofcourse but learn how to take a shot first before you jump into serious mma training for specific techniques.

Thanks will try to do this

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Get the Ibuprofen ready.

Just do it, won't hurt you. I crossed over into fighting late too from football&basketball due to injuries and it was easily the best decision I made and I leapfrogged a lot of people in terms of ability simply due to consistency and dedication. Anyone can do that.

In any decent gym they won't put you to spar with professionals, don't worry. Just go to trainings regularly and you'll adapt quickly. If you have someone reliable that's not a bitch to be a training partner, that can help too. My biggest asset is having a friend that always trains so I feel the need to train too always :lol:

Definitely work on those legs, all your power gets generated from the hips and legs for fighting. Try to squat as often as your recovery lets you - that can be every day for some, twice a week for others. Definitely recommend jumping rope too for conditioning.

I have a boxing centric perspective but it should do well enough in MMA/MT/Kick boxing or anything else fight related.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lol I'm ready for the pain. At least I hope. I found a gym in Philadelphia I hear good things about, so I think it's time to start. I been weight training all year putting on some muscle. We got a pretty good judo gym where I live in Delaware, but I wanted to start with striking first.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Lol I'm ready for the pain. At least I hope. I found a gym in Philadelphia I hear good things about, so I think it's time to start. I been weight training all year putting on some muscle. We got a pretty good judo gym where I live in Delaware, but I wanted to start with striking first.

focus on strength and functional training. As your lifts improve, your muscle tissues will start to build simultaneously. You want to maintain speed and endurance whilst increasing in size and muscle mass.
I definitely learnt that Big muscles means literally f all lol through training. I love sparring with bodybuilding bros. They have literally nonexistent stamina and no real functional strength. I ragdoll them from pillar to post.
I mainly do karate and wrestling. I love wrestling. It's the best foundation for mma imo. Builds power and cardio and allows you to adapt to the rigours of mma training much quicker.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Wrestling also builds a sick neck, I'm looking into getting into it soon because while I enjoy boxing, MMA simply looks very fun and I can't rely on striking only. I feel like boxing and wrestling is a great combination, it appears to work very fluidly together in terms of transitioning from one to the other during a fight.

Also agree on bodybuilding dudes - not only do they usually not train for cardio, but they're often times very tense when striking which only makes them exhaust themselves even quicker.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
focus on strength and functional training. As your lifts improve, your muscle tissues will start to build simultaneously. You want to maintain speed and endurance whilst increasing in size and muscle mass.
I definitely learnt that Big muscles means literally f all lol through training. I love sparring with bodybuilding bros. They have literally nonexistent stamina and no real functional strength. I ragdoll them from pillar to post.
I mainly do karate and wrestling. I love wrestling. It's the best foundation for mma imo. Builds power and cardio and allows you to adapt to the rigours of mma training much quicker.

Lol thanks for the advice. I was training to get big at first. Once I decided to do muay thai I figured a bulky body wouldn't really work.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Wrestling also builds a sick neck, I'm looking into getting into it soon because while I enjoy boxing, MMA simply looks very fun and I can't rely on striking only. I feel like boxing and wrestling is a great combination, it appears to work very fluidly together in terms of transitioning from one to the other during a fight.

Also agree on bodybuilding dudes - not only do they usually not train for cardio, but they're often times very tense when striking which only makes them exhaust themselves even quicker.

I used to do powerlifting before. I feel that helped me alot. I almost often have a strength advantage and I can take shots better. I do feel though that I need to improve my cardio even further. need to find that right balance.

agreed regarding boxing and wrestling combo. love jds fights lol. he has boxing and elite take down defense. prime jds was a beast. Not sure how good his bjj is but man I remember that spinning hook kick he threw versus hunt. I lost my mind. that was insane.

Last edited:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Before starting to box, I've done just a little bit of lifting - mostly bro splits and I've been doing a bunch of explosive work for my vertical while playing basketball. Cardio has improved a lot due to boxing.

Now I focus working on legs and my core in the weight room and it has paid dividends so far. My combinations are crisper, faster and more economical. I'm trying to build a legitimate and functioning heavyweight physique over the course of the next 3-5 years. Not to compete, just for fun.

Yeah, JDS is a beast, hope he can catch some type of form now and maybe recapture a bit of his old glory.

Lol thanks for the advice. I was training to get big at first. Once I decided to do muay thai I figured a bulky body wouldn't really work.

A bulky body isn't a no go but you'd tire much more easily. Also if the weight slows you down considerably then it's obviously bad too.

Last edited:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
James Vick got humbled hard.

Gaethje delivering entertainment, like he always does. Love that guy, what a god.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Gaethje is one violent mother fucker. Punched Vick into another dimension.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My advice for those wanting to start.

Look at it as a video game and you are playing with your body, just learn to play the game better before having any other expectations. Learn how to use your body first

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
gaethje is such a fucking monster, he was winning both fights against alvarez and poirier before his chin gave out.

but IMO the guy is a lovable moron, he gives us the most exciting fights and we love him for it, but he also could easily be undefeated, and potentially a champion if he fought like a pro's pro (GSP)

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gaethje is just super authentic and his style is exciting. He knows it's not optimal to constantly pressure because it'll get you hit, but damn it's entertaining and when it really works out, it's absolutely beautiful.

Hope those cheap fucks at the UFC give him a good contract now. Fight bonuses don't really cover the sacrifice he brings for the fans at this point anymore imo.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Undefeated fighter who won vs the top contender?

Great performance by Woodley, now hopefully Covington gets slapped next.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Every UFC newcomer that beats a name will get super hyped. It's because the org is trying to hard to find another Conor/Ronda megastar.

Anyway, Till fought because he won vs Wonderboy(controversial) because Colby suddenly lost his balls. Usman would've been another possible contender for the title here but does it really matter? Woodley likely slaps them all. Only guy giving him issues is Thompson.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I don't think Till landed a single shot?

Very impressive from Woodley

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Undefeated fighter who won vs the top contender?

Great performance by Woodley, now hopefully Covington gets slapped next.

Still pushed a bit too soon IMO. Way out of his element in this fight

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Every UFC newcomer that beats a name will get super hyped. It's because the org is trying to hard to find another Conor/Ronda megastar.

Anyway, Till fought because he won vs Wonderboy(controversial) because Colby suddenly lost his balls. Usman would've been another possible contender for the title here but does it really matter? Woodley likely slaps them all. Only guy giving him issues is Thompson.

he beat wondering twice though. he won the first fight too imo even though it was deemed a draw. absolute rubbish. judging by damage he definitely won. Utilizing the new scoring metrics, he definitely won.

Vs till there was some shady stuff happening tbh. Dan split them up twice when Woodley was doing damage in the clinch.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
he beat wondering twice though. he won the first fight too imo even though it was deemed a draw. absolute rubbish. judging by damage he definitely won. Utilizing the new scoring metrics, he definitely won.

Vs till there was some shady stuff happening tbh. Dan split them up twice when Woodley was doing damage in the clinch.

Oh yeah he definitely won but ever since he got the title, those WB fights seemed to be the only ones where it was somewhat close for him.

WW that's the Woodley weight division, dude is a beast. Hope Rory comes back to the UFC so Woodley can get his revenge.

Yeah those splits were weird - whether it was incompetence or something more sinister idk, idc but Woodley found a way anyway. When that dude clips you shit has to hurt bad.

Now they can't call Woodley a boring champ either because absolutely pieced up Till in entertaining fashion. Btw the entire card was great - two kneebars?? and even the WMMA was good.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Maybe next year Till.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
RIP Werdum's UFC career(it was comatose anyway)

Schedule