Week 35: Milan - Bologna 06/05/2019 20:30 CET

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
No, I think you're right. I think the record after ritiri for us is grim.

According to some post on twitter or in the commode, we lost 2-0 to Atalanta after our last ritiro with Gattuso in december 2017.

We'll see how it goes.

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho
Gonna be 1-2 loss.

Bologna no longer shit after Mihajlovic took over. We can't create a shot on goal so why people think this would be an easy win I don't know. Suso Hakan Rodriguez will all make it into the XI after the ritiro.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Gonna be 1-2 loss.

Bologna no longer shit after Mihajlovic took over. We can't create a shot on goal so why people think this would be an easy win I don't know. Suso Hakan Rodriguez will all make it into the XI after the ritiro.

What a ray of sunshine this post is.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
What a ray of sunshine this post is.

:lol:

Bologna have taken 10 points from the last possible 12, scoring 9 and conceding 1.

Milan have taken 4 points, scoring 3 and conceding 5.

They're pretty safe from relegation after that run, although not mathematically safe. Milan obviously have vastly more to play for.

In spite of form I'm hopeful of a win and a return to scoring, especially if Suso is dropped.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
The return of PPC is possible and Suso is at risk

Putting gunpowder away from the sparks of the last few days is vital to get to the match on Monday night, against Bologna, in the best possible way. The withdrawal imposed by Gattuso should serve to reassemble everything and everyone (today also Maldini, who returned from Ibiza), because the Champions League goal is still at hand. But there could be some important news regarding the technical-tactical look that Milan could have against the former Sinisa Mihajlovic's Bologna.

THE TWO POINTS - To give more weight to the offensive maneuver, Gattuso is seriously considering returning to play with the 4-3-1-2, despite the men counted in defense. Now there is little to worry about the numbers of players available, because there are to increase those of the goals scored. That is why the possibility of Piatek and Cutrone with Paquetà being seen in pairs behind them from the first minute is becoming more and more important. This would mean the exclusion of the anonymous Suso of the last four months. One solution, that of the attacking midfielder behind two real strikers, which was working against Udinese until Paqueta went ko for the ankle.

CALHA MEZZALA - It goes without saying that with the change of form, Hakan Calhanoglu will return to play in the position of the left half-wing, which has been able to interpret well when he has been called into question in that role and where, above all, he can be more alive than the action compared to when it tramples the typical clods of the external attacker. Bakayoko, who apologized yesterday, will also be there from the beginning. The French, net of delay, is a fundamental player for this Milan and in a race like this, his physical and mental strength can and must be available to everyone.

----------Cutrone---Piatek
--------------Paqueta'
------Hakan-----------Kessie
-------------Bakayoko
RR-----Zapata----Mussachio--Abate
------------Donnarumma

I like it.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Bakayoko, Calhanoglu, Castillejo, Paquetà, Zapata all one booking away from a suspension.

Special thanks to Donnarumma for forcing Paqueta to pick up that last yellow.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
ahhh bruh i thought this was tomorrow

we've still got some hope but they really need to pick themselves up, would hurt so much not to make being this close and opposition slipping up this much

Last edited:

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
So Torino drew, hoping Lazio will beat Atalanta (possible) and Roma lose or draw to Genoa (unlikely).

Not sure though if we are better chasing 4th spot until the last game of the season or holding on to it if we, by some miracle of all results going our way this matchday, regain 4th spot?

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
----------Cutrone---Piatek
--------------Paqueta'
------Hakan-----------Kessie
-------------Bakayoko
RR-----Zapata----Mussachio--Abate
------------Donnarumma

I like this formation for us. Been hoping to see this for a while since our wingers are incompetent.. Just simply eliminate the need for wingers :thumbsup:

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I like this formation for us. Been hoping to see this for a while since our wingers are incompetent.. Just simply eliminate the need for wingers
Dont forget it also eliminates width because our fullbacks are just bad.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So Torino drew, hoping Lazio will beat Atalanta (possible) and Roma lose or draw to Genoa (unlikely).

Not sure though if we are better chasing 4th spot until the last game of the season or holding on to it if we, by some miracle of all results going our way this matchday, regain 4th spot?

Good question. Either which way I just hope we win the last 4 with plenty grinta. Would be a beautiful farewell for Gattuso.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think we've already reached rock bottom mentally. Only way is up now and whatever help we get from the other teams i'll take gladly. The next four games are all winnable. If we finally start creating chances with a 4312 then we'll win, i'm sure. We were so predictable and slow with Suso on the right. Paqueta is more direct and unpredictable, while Cutrone and Piatek working together leave open space of each other, something that wasn't possible when Piatek was waiting alone surrounded by defenders.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

lol true. we really can't win in any formation rn. low player confidence and an overall average squad is not a recipe for success which is what we have rn. the only time we did well was when rino was getting the absolute best out of these guys for a short while. otherwise for most of the squad when they're not at peak levels they're just average and average isn't good enough

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
lol true. we really can't win in any formation rn. low player confidence and an overall average squad is not a recipe for success which is what we have rn. the only time we did well was when rino was getting the absolute best out of these guys for a short while. otherwise for most of the squad when they're not at peak levels they're just average and average isn't good enough
Yep

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Good question. Either which way I just hope we win the last 4 with plenty grinta. Would be a beautiful farewell for Gattuso.

Amen:thumbsup:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

While this team has constantly failed under pressure, and when it matters..i do hope by some miracle we have our destiny in our hands after this season.

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho

Yeah but the width Hakan and Suso provide is even more laughable. This is how Milan looked when attacking this whole season. Gattuso tactics.

Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah but the width Hakan and Suso provide is even more laughable. This is how Milan looked when attacking this whole season. Gattuso tactics.

Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com
Agreed, this is not working. Lets try a different approach.

Its never gonna be perfect. Not with these guys.

Good luck to us all.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
If we can get a couple of goals then I'm sure confidence will rocket up, important that Piatek returns to scoring.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If we can get a couple of goals then I'm sure confidence will rocket up, important that Piatek returns to scoring.

This is what i'm thinking also. We need a good performance to regain some confidence. If we start creating some chances we'll wake up. 2 up front will guarantee chances even if we lose numbers in midfield. A lot of faith in Bakayoko and Kessie to clean up loose balls.

I'm worried if Gattuso decides to play 4231 with Paqueta behind Piatek. Feels like they can easily cage Piatek and we'll keep trying long shots or crosses that are easily dealt with. We need someone to drag defenders away from Piatek.

Last edited:

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
I'm worried if Gattuso decides to play 4231 with Paqueta behind Piatek. Feels like they can easily cage Piatek and we'll keep trying long shots or crosses that are easily dealt with. We need someone to drag defenders away from Piatek.

Yes, if he does that then Piatek will get crowded out by 2 centre backs, they'll read and negate Suso easily and we'll again have to be resorting to Paqueta, Hakan or, even worse, Kessie trying to break away from markers and create something out of nothing, likely without having anyone free as an outlet.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Piatek and Cutrone need to both start. I'd be happy with 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-2. Piatek has been too isolated lately, Cutrone should help to open space up

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
So curious about Rino's press conference today. Some of the words will be indicative of how the ritiro went.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
So curious about Rino's press conference today. Some of the words will be indicative of how the ritiro went.

It's either going to be more of the "disappointing" and giving up as the last two weeks, or a complete 180* turnaround that he sees a lot in the team and until not mathematically possible they'll fight for 4th til the end.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Can’t really tell much from the short clips, but the daily videos of the training sessions, you can see far fewer smiles than before. Seems like the atmosphere is really serious.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Can’t really tell much from the short clips, but the daily videos of the training sessions, you can see far fewer smiles than before. Seems like the atmosphere is really serious.

Or everyone is having a crap time.

I hope that Gazidis speech was full of hard talk. "No one is safe here if you don't perform. You guys have to get your fucking act together. We are going to war four times before you post a single picture on your instagram account."

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Overall a much more upbeat, positive and determined press conference:

LIVE MN - Gattuso: "I'm against the withdrawal, but now I see an angry team. Resignation? Word that doesn't exist, I think about the Champions"

Team ready for the last four races? "Tomorrow I believe we will play a vigorous game, only those who have no heart will not be able to do it. We have been five days here and for some it has been difficult, tomorrow I expect a lot".

Lippi's words: "I have already responded to the story of the alibis I create for the players, I will try to improve. I don't think I defended my boys too much, I always said what I think".

Talked to Romagnoli? "Yes, he apologized for the gesture towards the referee and is part of the path that he too must do. He has improved a lot and can still grow".

Gattuso too good? "A different question. Even if we are young, we need to talk, we have to talk about things. Then maybe he has a grudge against it for a few days, but in a group of 27 people you have to behave like that. We're not people who do what they like, there's someone wrong. but then the rest are guys with heads and mentalities. I don't think I was too good, in fact sometimes I broke the boxes too much, but we'll see ".

The seventh current place : "We have thrown away too many points, opportunities that we have wasted. Now we have to believe it, we have lost the fourth place and we will try to go and get it again. Let's find ourselves ready, combative and with the knife between our teeth. "It is regret because we have been fourth for months and we have not managed to manage it."

Could you go to retreat first? "I've never thought about it before, I'm also against retreats. When you work well, you don't need to, I want to get to the day of the game, eat together and go to the camp like in other countries. But there are rules to be respected and it's a decision taken. But I repeat, I am against withdrawals ".

What do you expect for the next races? "The desire to show that we are not dead and the desire to show that we are there. I expect this, we can make up and show our value".

In the words of Mihajlovic : "They must give us strength, this is what they now think of us and we must find the strength and pride to react. Tomorrow we must also remember these words here".

The conditions of Conti : "Yesterday he did the first part of training with us, today he will try to train with the group".

Tried a different form? "Tomorrow we see".

The comparison with the groupthen the rest of the things I read are absurd. But with Leonardo and Maldini there is absolute respect ".

Players too defended? "I am sure the team has not heard of having alibis, they have always given their best, even in the last few races. Now we are these, the results say it. I do not regret everything I said in the season, we have always known how to react, tomorrow I expect that we will return to battle ".

The Bakayoko situation : "Everything is back, he apologized to the team and the same applies to him".

The evenings of the players : "I do not care about the evenings, in private life they do what they want and I am not a policeman, the important thing is that when you work you do things in a certain way. Those times I went out I always amused, but I respected the rules, I worked and nobody could tell me anything. If the players do evenings there is no problem, the important thing is that we work well here ".

Gattuso less convinced of the project? "But which one off? But do you know me? In your opinion, can I be turned off? What does it mean? It is normal that after only 5 points in seven days it is a bit like this ... But do you think I give up? always struggled since I was 17. When I no longer want to stay with my children and my dogs, I will enjoy life. If I had been discharged I would not have gone to the retreat with all the boys. cross, but it is not true that I am soft or resigned, you only say nonsense ".

The names next to Milan's bench : "My only goal is to go to the Champions League, and I have a two-year contract. The word resignation does not exist for me, the rest counts for nothing."

The meeting at Casa Milan : "No decision was made, we only talked about the group and what we could do. We basically repeated what we said in Turin. I read so many nonsense but we only talked about the players".

Mihajlovic's Bologna : "They are fine, since Sinisa has been traveling very fast. They have speed, they have changed their way of playing but I repeat, tomorrow we can still face the strongest team in the world, but we have a duty to have our say, to prove that we are alive with strong evidence ".

Corsa Champions still alive? "Those who play football, those who play sports, know very well that it takes ambition, the pride to hear that music and certain games ... Now we are experiencing a negative period and we need to look for something else, when we enter the tunnel we must analyze everything to understand what works and what doesn't. Who plays in Milan must have this ambition ".

The reasons for the withdrawal : "I did a stuff I didn't want to do, but there are rules to be respected for everyone. In times of difficulty, you need to understand the environment and the shirt you are wearing, I made the choice of retreat because it seemed to me that we all were no longer with our heads. We have been together for four or five days, this has strengthened us, we will see tomorrow ".

The moment of the group : "We trained well, it was a week in which I felt so many inaccuracies and so many wrong things. I took the decision to withdraw and the company supported me, I saw an angry team and we have to prove it in the field. The withdrawal is not the best, but we have a duty to take responsibility for everything ".

The first words of the technician : "Before starting, today is the birthday of Mattia Caldara and we want to wish him well. We are waiting for him with open arms, he is an unlucky boy and we are waiting for him".

Friends of MilanNews.it , good afternoon and welcome! Greetings come from Milanello where, in a few minutes, Mr. Gattuso will speak at a press conference on the eve of Milan-Bologna. The Devil, after long days of retreat at Milanello, will be called to the Mihajlovic test to return to hope in the Champions League, but waiting to know the results from the other fields because fate is no longer in the hands of the Rossoneri. Don't miss anything, not even a single technical statement: all live, all on MilanNews.it !